• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Like everyone said, it's not impossible. Player-4 did it in friendlies today, and he's far from being frame perfect or anything. He even did it twice in a row, lol.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I said it was tough, I'm sure that unless the snake only uses ftilt immediately the moment you get in the zone, I'm sure you can't do it consistently to punish (at least via perfect shielding the hit and grabbing it at the same time). Usually snake can do some jab or other mixups, even with ftilt's timing. I can say that it certainly happens (perfect shielding in this game is imo much easier than it should be), but frame 4 is kinda fast. That's like saying you can use fair oos or shieldgrab to punish marth fair after perfect shielding it. It certainly can happen, but I would rely on more staple methods.

Basically what Flamewavek said is accurate, seems more of a great boon if you read it, but reading is more of a skill/player scenario than a tool or option.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Like everyone said, it's not impossible. Player-4 did it in friendlies today, and he's far from being frame perfect or anything. He even did it twice in a row, lol.
Then the snake was stupidly predictable or P4 was seriously on-point that day. You should not be able to intentionally powershield and punish a 4 frame move from an intelligent player without a serious read.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
He wasn't doing it intentionally, lol. I'm just saying he did it. Therefore, it is possible.

But realistically, you are right, no one would be able to consistently PS and punish it. You know, unless you're a CPU.

You're better off just getting away, since OOS options against Snake are very limited.

gampy

Smash Rookie
So i'm having trouble finding reasons to ever use dtilt. What are some good situations that you guys use it?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's pretty tricky to use, tbh I don't think we've found enough on it to really say we've developed it.

I love dtilt against falco though, especially when he Instant Aerial Phantasms, you can knock him nearly every time with Dtilt.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Metagame stuff.

Like Shield DI, I'm trying to get some input on it from the BRoomers before I go about making a thread for it on the main boards.

Okay SO....

You're playing an Oli on BF and you're at ~70% and they FSmash you then throw a White Pikmin at you.

However, you DI it downwards a bit so that you're flying toward the ground at a moderate negative slope.

What would be a better option; using Fair to get out of "helpless" and then Nair to get rid of the Pikmin and hit the ground without much lag, or wait and then tech or techroll to get a steadier ground approach going?

I was curious because I had this happen to me today and did the aerial thing.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
i have to start practicing more...some things about lucario just amaze me too much.

indigo--haha, no answer here, ies be a scrub.

im trying to get these girls i know interested in smashing with me(btw-im a girl), but i cant seem to keep thier interests in it or i tell them about it and they forget...i am a scrub myself attempting to encourage my friends to try it...im starting to think that scrubs cant raise scrubs.

any suggestions on how to peak thier interest in ssb? should i just continue to play by myself?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Okay SO....

You're playing an Oli on BF and you're at ~70% and they FSmash you then throw a White Pikmin at you.

However, you DI it downwards a bit so that you're flying toward the ground at a moderate negative slope.

What would be a better option; using Fair to get out of "helpless" and then Nair to get rid of the Pikmin and hit the ground without much lag, or wait and then tech or techroll to get a steadier ground approach going?

I was curious because I had this happen to me today and did the aerial thing.
I personally believe in the philosophy of a greater position > greater damage myself, especially in MU's like this. If you're farther away, I'd go for it, being in a neutral position isn't so bad even being behind in percent (aura's awesome that way). Closer though and I'd probably tech.

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
i have to start practicing more...some things about lucario just amaze me too much.

indigo--haha, no answer here, ies be a scrub.

im trying to get these girls i know interested in smashing with me(btw-im a girl), but i cant seem to keep thier interests in it or i tell them about it and they forget...i am a scrub myself attempting to encourage my friends to try it...im starting to think that scrubs cant raise scrubs.

any suggestions on how to peak thier interest in ssb? should i just continue to play by myself?
show them items first.

then gradually remove them one by one until they're too hooked to brawl to quit.

but then again that might only work on asians.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
show them items first.

then gradually remove them one by one until they're too hooked to brawl to quit.

Alabama isn't known for its smash scene.

you might want to look into online if you can,

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
show them items first.

YES!!!!!!!!! good idea...i didnt even freakin think about that!! just bc i never use items...guys i smash with say "there's no point to practice with items."

Alabama isn't known for its smash scene.

you might want to look into online if you can,
tell me about it!

i hate playin online though, i think im gonna attempt the items. thanks =3
if this doesnt work, im droppin them!! JK...never give up, never surrender!

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
YES!!!!!!!!! good idea...i didnt even freakin think about that!! just bc i never use items...guys i smash with say "there's no point to practice with items."

tell me about it!

i hate playin online though, i think im gonna attempt the items. thanks =3
if this doesnt work, im droppin them!! JK...never give up, never surrender!
online will just turn you into a rollcario.

it will also make you believe that his defense is invincible.

rollrollrollrollrollrollroll

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Don't, it's not worth the risk. (The input is grounded ES while holding down on the control stick. Diagonally down might work too, I forget.)

Milln

Smash Champion
Can someone please tell how to Extreme Hog
Do an ExtremeSpeed on the ground towards a ledge and do a sort of Half-Circle-Back towards the stage to grab it once you go off. Works every single time with practice.

Don't, it's not worth the risk. (The input is grounded ES while holding down on the control stick. Diagonally down might work too, I forget.)
That's a lie. It's only not worth the risk if you're bad at timing against opponent recoveries or you don't realize that holding down will make you not grab the ledge. It takes a little quick motion to release the down so you don't kill yourself.

Oh my I better edit this to clarify because Mew-Kita-tario can't read into things and he'll cry up a storm about nothing:

I'm not saying that you should ExtremeHog every time. I'm not saying ExtremeHog is horrible. It works as intended and there isn't a chance that you can kill yourself if you do it properly. There -are- other things you could and should be doing in almost all situations, such as charging an Aura Sphere or running out to intercept. Stop calling something "bad" just because you don't use it(and usually shouldn't) if it works.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Stop calling something "bad" just because you don't use it(and usually shouldn't) if it works.
Who said the extreme edgehog was bad? I just say it's not worth it because it isn't much faster than a normal edgehug (if it is any faster at all) and if they grab the ledge before you, you die. Honestly, though, I do think it's a bad tactic.

Milln

Smash Champion
Who said the extreme edgehog was bad? I just say it's not worth it because it isn't much faster than a normal edgehug (if it is any faster at all) and if they grab the ledge before you, you die. Honestly, though, I do think it's a bad tactic.
Kita did, then you -just- did.

It's not faster if you're near the ledge, and you will be most of the time. It is quicker, however, if you are further away.

Heck, think outside the box and use it to get to the ledge faster after you sphere or smash someone and chase with the ginormous hitbox of bair. Prolly the only thing it's good for, other than fakeouts.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I do. Zucco does. Pretty much everyone credible but Milln.

It's much faster than a regular edgehog, but it's severe risk factor involved combined with how outright picky brawl's ledge invincibility and ledgesnap frames are means that the risk is generally far too great for a single edgehog opportunity.

Milln

Smash Champion
I do. Zucco does. Pretty much everyone credible but Milln.

It's much faster than a regular edgehog, but it's severe risk factor involved combined with how outright picky brawl's ledge invincibility and ledgesnap frames are means that the risk is generally far too great for a single edgehog opportunity.
Here comes Kita to argue the same thing i'm saying.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
So I'm getting back in this insanity over here after my last crazy tournament. Beat three folks before downed in the semi-finals by Marth. Now I need some good secondaries...

Lucario is main. I am proficient with Marth, Rob and G&W, want to learn to get better with Luigi and Ice Climbers. Considering the metagame since I left what are good choices to secondary?

culexus・wau

Fox is an amazinggg secondary.

Covers DDD.

does good on the small ceiling stages lucario doesn't [halberd and GGs are no longer a problem!]

decent VS Metaknight and Snake.

and if you want to save energy fox ***** most of the characters below him that would be a little annoying for luc, [maybe, luc on autopilot isn't that good imo]

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
imo lucario is the worst character that you can let yourself autopilot on.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Falco, Sheik(+Zelda) (very unorthodox, but still covers DDD + Spacies better than most), Diddy, MK (obviously), Snake (although DDD will be tricky, not as bad as Marth v. DDD though), Fox (decent MUs except against ICs/Pika/Sheik which Lucario covers pretty well), ICs (high learning curve though, and MK is pretty hard for them nowadays), and if you don't mind fighting Marth or MK, Pikachu (also a bit of a semi-tricky-to-learn character).

Browny

Smash Hater
lol fox

get real guys, secondaries are meant to give you a better chance of winning. If you a luigi beat a top mk would that suddenly make luigi a good CP? oh wait it did, and no it doest. Outside of obvious MK I guess marf does decent against the guys luc has trouble with and doesnt require a ton of patience and practice/die at 70% like fox does

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
But sheik is even/maybe slightly advantageous against DDD (especially if you consider using Zelda as a backup kill plan), and lols up Wolf and Fox with 0-80 ftilt locks (and unlike Pikachu, sheik ftilt is so easy to get, it's safe on block 90% of the time and has great range) which imo are disadvantaged MUs normally.
And all the above mentioned do help your chances against some bad character MUs for Lucario.

The problem is most of them have one "hole" in their MUs that Lucario usually shares as a bad MU as well, like for example, Falco has some difficulty against Marth as does lucario, as does Marth and snake against DDD, etc. The ones that imo honestly cover all our bad MUs the most are ICs (too bad they're getting progressively worse against MK by the day), Diddy (secretly imo, the best non-MK secondary MU-wise, all his bad MUs like Kirby, Jigglypuff, Luigi, etc. are ones Lucario can cover and vice versa except for Marth probably), Falco (pretty good overall too), Snake, and MK in all honesty, they don't really have a glaring bad hole that is shared by Lucario and have been proven in the MUs as opposed to leaning on theory more.

culexus・wau

I made a really easy transition from Lucario to fox so meh.

I still have to turn around to utilt.

I have an air stall move.

Fox's bad match-up's are covered by lucario's bad match-ups and vice versa. =\ [going by TKD's MUs...]

that being said, the transition back was horrible.

and wtf marth is a hard character too <<

that being said.

some things with your secondary can rub off on your main.

for better or for worse.

I read so many people's jumps with luc Upsmash lmao.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah Marth isn't as easy to transfer to as many claim.

For example, it took forever for me to get over the habit of rising fair only, works for Lucario because it's less punishable but as marth you need to learn to mix it up and do FF fairs as well or you'll get owned.

Definitely similar, but anywho, Marth gets a bit steep to learn when applied to a higher level game (that can be applied to nearly everyone, but still).

Top Bottom