• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
How is the basic strategy of a campy Lucario?

Also, there's a way to throw the BAS? some short hoped or something like that?

I'm like more approaching and going offensive but in some cases that's not the best option and my defensive playstyle its not so good so I wanted to ask for some help.

At least what I do is like Hit and run tactics with Ftilt, Fair and AS but I find I can not use BAS so effectively, also Fsmashand using the range that it has.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
How is the basic strategy of a campy Lucario?
Common strategies include retreating B-airs shooting BAS or any size of AS. Mostly it's Lucario's that ASC with good spacing that camps you.
Also, there's a way to throw the BAS? some short hoped or something like that?
You can throw BAS jumping up and coming down FF'ing. You can also fire BAS on ground whether you want to charge them or not, and you can shoot BAS in different ways with mechanics such as Pivots, B-reversing, and WaveBouncing them.
I'm like more approaching and going offensive but in some cases that's not the best option and my defensive playstyle its not so good so I wanted to ask for some help.
No problem Meta, the guide in the link down below will give you some Defensive advice
At least what I do is like Hit and run tactics with Ftilt, Fair and AS but I find I can not use BAS so effectively, also Fsmashand using the range that it has.
I suggest using a safe F-tilt to knock them away and fire a BAS just because. Using BAS is underrated but great for feeling out or even finishing a string that is out of your reach.
Hey Meta I tried giving some decent answers that hopefully helped. Check the reply quote and this: http://smashboards.com/threads/lucario-clinic-options-strategies-and-ats.336601/

Control+F and type :Defense:

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Do you know where I can find the biggest collection of information on everything to do with Lucario's aura? Or could you possibly even explain it with your own knowledge of the character?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Do you know where I can find the biggest collection of information on everything to do with Lucario's aura? Or could you possibly even explain it with your own knowledge of the character?

Thanks!
. . .Sure. As you know Lucario's a come-back fighter with his built-in AuraBoost% which is still a mysterious factor but here ya go:
Basically the AuraBoost% chart for all of his Aura-scaling moves that exclude Dash Attack, D-throw, & B-throw. Credit goes to MythInfinityTrainer for this Aura Chart:

http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Lucario_(SSBB)#Aura
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Aura
Thanks for Asking~

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
. . .Sure. As you know Lucario's a come-back fighter with his built-in AuraBoost% which is still a mysterious factor but here ya go:
Basically the AuraBoost% chart for all of his Aura-scaling moves that exclude Dash Attack, D-throw, & B-throw.
This is perfect =o
Thanks! So aura caps at 170% then?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Could you explain some of Lucario's advanced techniques and how they're used?
Lucario doesn't have very many AT's exclusively that only he can use (but I'm gonna make it look like he has a ton), but I'll mention them all including techniques he uses that anyone else can use, giving a basis of usage they provide to your game-play. Also this Lucario Starter Guide helps:
(Also lemme know if you need help with the button inputs for some of the Advanced Techniques, I'll PM you them)

TurnAround AS a.k.a. Pivot AS: switch facing directions can be useful when airborne for mind-games. You may AD before landing on the stage / ground to avoid falling still ASC if you wish to approach with a dash grab when you have the opponent sitting in shield from your ASC. Other options can also result in reading a roll & you move a direction & ASC to capture them in your ticking ASC hit-box.

B-reverse AS: If you're BReverseAS you basically do the same thing a grounded TurnAround AS will do but faster without needing to look one way with control stick & ASC. BRAS airborne reverses your momentum direction so it's a potential mix-up for when you want to land safely, just think of snakes who recover but use their B-mixups to land safely. Can be used for spacing, dis-engaging, or looking flashy for a mind-game to keep the zoning up.

Wavebounce AS a.k.a. WBAS: WBAS is very flashy & unpredictable. Perfect spacing if you DI toward them & WBASC backward faking them out, or perfect frame trapping someone's landing if you get the read. Can also be used as a landing mix-up option to be safe, though the mis-input is most likely FP should you mess up the timing.

BRFP: Not much to say here, you can run backward & then do a quick turn around FP shooting out flame or if it's a read for when someone rolls behind you. Command grabbing them is a sweet read & satisfying. Used airborne it can be a aerial approach but not used very much, you'll find it's uses if you choose to do so.

WBFP: Not much to say here either, overall you'd be using the Flame from the FP to be a spacing tool or a close-range landing option to zone others away from your mixedup landing. Used off-stage after F-air strings & pulling this off actually is a better option than N-air if they're still at low % due to it coming off cooldown faster than N-air does.

F1FP: Frame 1 Force Palm is a break-through AT that's considered due to crossing up with your F-airs. All you have to do is time your FP upon almost landing on ground / surface / stage & you get an amazing Frame 1 command grab. Awesome~. You can get F1FP's off of SH F-air combos leading to FFF1FPs, cross-ups of F-air to going behind your opponent who will most likely shield into your F1FP etc. etc..

WBF1FP: Something I'm still testing, a WaveBounced Frame 1 Force Palm is very strange. You can implement it if you like, however I find this easy when setting your :GCCN: to Specials making :GCB: your go-to option. A WBF1FP is difficult to do without making your :GCCN: as specials as it's just this input sentence: :GCR:+jump:GCX: - :GCDR:+FF - :GCCL: on the C-stick to wavebounce backward dragging your opponent toward you & knocking them away.
Input without C-stick as specials involves a lot of inputs & timing: :GCR:+jump:GCX: - :GCDR:+FF - :GCR:+:GCB:+:GCL: quickly as you can without inputting the buttons at the same time. Very small window of time making WBF1FP very difficult without B-sticking.

Quoting this:

Extreme Awesome

Extreme Awesome, (most commonly referred to as EA), is a technique that allows Lucario to have no landing lag after ES, and also keep momentum. EA occurs when Lucario bounces off of a “ceiling” of a stage. (Such as the ceiling in Luigi’s Mansion.) Lucario can attack after the landing, allowing for unique spacing opportunities. To do it, simply direct ES into any ceiling at an angle, and land. ES can be done on most stages, but there are very few where it can be used practically. Still, ES can be a great way to surprise an opponent and space an attack.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85vyBS6-bo4

Extreme Stop

Extreme Stop, (most commonly referred to as EStop, as to not confuse it with Extreme Speed or Extreme Shift), is a technique that allows Lucario to cut the length of his ES in half, allowing for you to trick your opponent. To do it, move the control stick backwards while using ES, then move it down. When done correctly, Lucario should have not traveled the full distance of his ES, and will receive no landing lag. EStop’s uses are, sadly, quite limited, and are very situational.

Extreme Shift
Extreme Shift, (most commonly referred to as EShift, as not to confuse it with either Extreme Speed or Extreme Stop), is a technique that allows for tighter angles when using ES. To do it, use ES in the desired direction and use the C-Stick to influence it. (NOTE: C-Stick must be set to Smash.) When done correctly, Lucario should go in a slightly different angle than usual. If you desire to wall-cling out of EShift, you must press Z to grab it or else you will use an aerial upon hitting it and plummet to your doom.

Extreme Bounce

Extreme Bounce, (most commonly referred to as EB), is a technique that allows Lucario to bounce forward off of the stage upon impact with the ground out of ES. This allows for safer recoveries. To do it, aim ES toward the ground mid-flight and immediately flick the control stick forward. When done correctly, Lucario should have a noticeable “bounce” forward. This technique is fairly new, so information is still being found about it.

Videos: None yet.

Ledge-Cancel

Ledge- Cancel is a technique that allows Lucario to bypass both a ledge-grab, and the landing lag of ES. Ledge-Canceling is done by aiming ES directly above the ledge. When done correctly, Lucario should land directly above the ledge with no lag whatsoever. Ledge-Canceling allows for zippier recoveries, and can trick opponents coming to punish an ES.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfieID18bY

Ledge-Jump
A Ledge-Jump is a technique that allows Lucario to wall-jump off of the ledge directly out of a ledge-drop. When done correctly, Lucario should jump off of the wall that the ledge is composed of. Ledge-Jumping can be used to trick opponents, and can be used in accordance with RAS to get back to the stage and charge an AS.
Reversed Double Team: Underrated & quirky AT that's considered bad but I personally adore it. If you want examples on how it can be used just look at these videos I made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdpg_Izigok&list=UUxwCcOCRQfebDn6Gv75_kjw&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPQl7ZZ0JmU&list=UUxwCcOCRQfebDn6Gv75_kjw&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AciGxQcBIA&index=10&list=UUxwCcOCRQfebDn6Gv75_kjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnRLYH3ISh4&list=UUxwCcOCRQfebDn6Gv75_kjw&index=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQtPhcBwt5o&list=UUxwCcOCRQfebDn6Gv75_kjw&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwKR7SnPMz4&index=14&list=UUxwCcOCRQfebDn6Gv75_kjw

(sorry for the quality on this, was a flipshare video. . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqU26qwIkbY&index=19&list=UUxwCcOCRQfebDn6Gv75_kjw

SHFFL-D-air: A weird semi Melee mechanic that Lucario can do with SH & inputting a buffered D-air. Uses involve you doing this near the ledge on someone there as a edge-guarding tool or to Approach with a dash then canceling with SHD-air. You dcide how to mix it up~

Wall-Cling: Lucario is the best Wall-clinging & Wall-jumping SSBBrawl character. Use your UpB ExtremeSpeed well to cling to surfaces to mix-up your recovering since ES isn't a hit-box. You can wall-cling on these stages that are considered legal-ish with areas I'll explain:
:battlefieldb: = The building's left & right side underneath BF
:castlesiege: = 1st transition you see on the picture, both sides all the way down. None on 2nd transition, & none on the 3rd transition. Only the 1st transition matters to you.
:fdb: = Both Lips. There's a good size of the lip you can cling to & jump off of so calculate the areas for yourself.
:frigate: = Both Sides on the 1st transition, being the area being right there where you ledge-hang / by the ledge is that facing wall, & the right sided area popular for using when you get launched over there recovering with ES to cling there. 2nd transition is both wall sides.
:halberd: = Only 2nd transition. You can cling toward the body of the halberd battleground on the lower ends. You'll know what I mean when you try clinging there.
PS1 = Pokemon Stadium 1 = You can cling against those walls exactly around where you ledge-hang. Risky area but once you master your flow of Clinging from UpB or out of your jump you'll get the grasp of it.
One last thing to mention is Lucario's UpB Extreme Speed. You can guide it's direction not only with the:GCN: in any of the directions being :GCU::GCUR::GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL: & :GCUL:, but also by using the :GCCN: during his dashing animation. While your start-up takes a little moment & then your guiding direction with :GCN: happens you can guide extra inverting / curving your directional path by clicking :GCCL: or :GCCR:. I'm not sure about :GCCU::GCCUR::GCCDR::GCCD::GCCDL: or :GCCUL: but try it out see what happens.

~Thanks for Asking~

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Oh, I see. I appreciate you taking the time to type all of that out.
For the ATs involving ES, do you controls have to be set so that the c-stick is on special?
Nah, if you set your C-stick to Specials aka B-sticking, you just replace your normal guiding with the C-stick which is awkward, don't do that. Just keep your C-stick set to Smash so that you can further guide it more. An example of this is to play Snake in training, & use your SideB Nikita. Just press :GCR::GCB: or :GCL::GCB: & proceed quickly tapping the :GCCN: repeatedly :GCCU: or :GCCD:. You'll notice that your Nikita's trajectory won't change direction going straight but it will invert Upward or Downward still keeping it's speed.
So conclusion is keep your :GCCN: set to Smash, the only reason you'll want your :GCCN: set to specials is only to:

• Buffer a Special move's input as fast as you can
  • WaveBounce a lot easier

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I tried this with ES and saw how it works in a way and I believe I understand it better now. Thanks!

What I still don't understand is how to cancel ES's lag.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I tried this with ES and saw how it works in a way and I believe I understand it better now. Thanks!

What I still don't understand is how to cancel ES's lag.
Canceling it completely involves accurate bending direction towards the ledge. It's something you have to test out & master yourself. Most of the time the alternate ways of dealing with ES's lag is either Extreme Bouncing which is just you aiming your ES toward the stage in a bent / curved motion & you bounce on the surface with the blue shockwaves appearing after landing against the stage surface. The other way is you guiding the ES bend / curved so that you slide 'hovering' above the ground with your ES animation still going then landing on the ground with your feet. Weird explanation there's videos for it somewhere. . .
My head...
Sup what's your question?

Top Bottom