• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
While dashing, tap back on the control stick and Z and the same time. Your character will perform a special grabbing animation as he or she turns around and grabs.

It can also be performed by quickly dashing one way, then tapping back on the c-stick and Z at the same time for a near-instant or standing pivot grab.

Pivot grabs generally have more range than a regular grab, but are quite a bit harder to land.

Pivot grabs really aren't that essential to learning Lucario. You should only really mess with them after you've learned everything else, and even then, they're mostly just used for mindgames when dashing through someone's shield, or to punish an overaggressive opponent who chases you too recklessly.
I've done lucario for a few months, I wouldn't judge myself as bad/good, but anyways.. "an opponent who chases you to recklessly" Yup, that would be ZSS. -.-

In general, what stages would you recommend as lucario? I hate Fd, but thats pretty much it..

Steam

Smash Hero
it depends on the MU and player preference, but neutrals are good. Japes is really good against vertical killers like snake. I usually chose my opponents bad stages tbh

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Depends on the matchup. He doesn't exactly have an automatic "Pick here and win" stage due to having at least one person do better on each of his good stages than him.

Some Lucs, like me and DJBrowny, are really comfortable on Frigate Orpheon. Some people like Japes. A lot of us love Yoshi's. Most of us love Pictochat. Some of us love FD, some love Lylat, some even endorse Brinstar, etc.

But in general, it really depends on the matchup. I wouldn't take a Marth to Battlefield, but I'd take him to Final Destination or Frigate Orpheon. I wouldn't take a Meta Knight to Frigate Orpheon, but I'd definitely take him to Pictochat or Final Destination. I wouldn't take Wario to Final Destination, but I would definitely take him to Yoshi's Island or Battlefield, etc.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
I also forgot to ask, when you say everything else, what are you referring to?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Really just the basics; basic spacing, recovering properly, basic mix-ups, simple reads, etc. I just meant that it shouldn't be a priority.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
force palm, since it has proprties of a projectile, is it one? jw

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It can be bucketed by G&W so yes.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
force palm, since it has proprties of a projectile, is it one? jw
Yes, it is, in all senses of the word. It can be both reflected and absorbed, and it undergoes its own hitlag when it connects with an opponent.

However, the projectile hitbox itself is only out for one frame, and it doesn't travel, so even if it gets reflected, it won't hurt you.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it is, in all senses of the word. It can be both reflected and absorbed, and it undergoes its own hitlag when it connects with an opponent.

However, the projectile hitbox itself is only out for one frame, and it doesn't travel, so even if it gets reflected, it won't hurt you.
what if the reflect did hit you :s and it was fox, so it didnt get hit out at me.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
what if the reflect did hit you :s and it was fox, so it didnt get hit out at me.
It physically can't hit you. It doesn't have a flight path, so there's nowhere for it to return to, and it only stays out for one frame, which would be the flame it gets reflected on, without a frame to actually use its reflected hitbox.

You can try it in team mode with a partner inside the hitbox and team attack turned off if you don't believe me. :D

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
Whats the best and least risky way to beat a good zss with Lucario. Can someone send me a link to a page that is recent and up-to-date pl0x?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
learning to SDI her **** helps too.

She dsmashes most of the time SDIing into the ground will **** follow-ups. :>

or away

whatever gets you away from the bair/fair/sideB or makes you slam into the ground so you can tech it.

If you can read dat uptilt you can sdi that too but its hard.

You win close range encounters outside of her jab range.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
If you want to find a secondary, you are going to have to first realize why you need one. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Unless you're playing for fun of course, in that case, stop letting that icon hover over Bowser and then have it move to D3.

More people need to play Bowser dammit!

Myself excluded.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Super easy in terms of technical proficiency/general stress on certain aspects, guys, back away from the troll bait, it's Masky!

Hard to win though, plus learning to not have a couple of huuuuuuge leveraging moves besides possibly roll (unlike things like Marth fair, MK dair/everything lol, etc.)

He's imo like a Sheik 2.0, you deal with a large option pool, but they're all more around average than amazing. It also means he can't get super squashed when a few of his strengths get comprimised (like how DDD seems to get lol'd up by some few low tiers).

Aura also is awesome, can always prevent a MU from being staticly terribad, just as long as you're good at using it to your advantage, preserving it, and getting good hits in.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
is lucario easy or hard to learn?
You don't see too many Lucarios in tourney for a reason. He's not super hard to learn, but he requires a lot of good spacing and DI in order to take full advantage of his Aura ability. Also, you really have to know how to recover because you have no protection during it. Overall, he is semi-viable in tourneys, but he has disadvantageous machtups with most of the top tiers.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
You don't see a lot of Lucarios in tourney because Marth, MK, and Snake are easier characters with greater results. :x

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You don't see a lot of Lucarios in tourney because Marth, MK, and Snake are easier characters with greater results. :x
Well, that's a given. Why use any character when it's easier to win with MK, lol.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Bowser's even more annoying when you don't have anything to stop him reliably from doing high risk high reward moves when they really know how to use them (like fsmash and uair) minus like spacing and AS lol. That's when you wish you at least had like SHD AS or something lol.

Edgeguarding bowser is only slightly harder than DK, it's otherwise pretty simple.
and klaw is super annoying if you don't know how to deal with it, since it ***** the normally **** anti-air strategy we know as the shield :)
still, I'd say it's about 60:40-65:35 from my experience lol.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
it seems that way to me, you know with the AIRWALKAN except it makes us walk towards the stage boundary.

which is bad.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
dair has the tendency to add momentum sometimes though =(
I don't think that's quite how it works, but I'll test it later with frame advance just in case.

C-stick dairs do however have a tendency to occasionally NOT fastfall out of hitstun...

edit: Just checked.

Dair doesn't add anything. It just makes it so you can't move horizontally to counteract horizontal momentum. It's fine for vertical recoveries, and fair is still better for horizontal. Exactly as before.

Browny

Smash Hater
Camp with nades, space with ftilt.

Its pretty difficult, but after a few months of intense training you should be able to do that on a regular basis.

Top Bottom