• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

It just means the frames in which one move can be cancelled.

Also my secondaries are ZSS and Toon Link. Thoughts?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Two very good examples are Marth/MK Dtilts. you notice there's a "full dtilt" where they reset back to a crouching position, but then you can interrupt it much farther into the animation, easily seen when you use dtilt in succession, but other moves apply too.

Gah777

Smash Lord
does your guys' frame data include what moves have IASA frames and when?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
nearly all moves have them, some just have much more than others.

contrary to my early previous beliefs, Lucario doesn't have IASA frames in both fair or dtilt (aka the moves where the sound clip doesn't complete before the animation), they're just really, really fast in endlag (lucario fair ends the 5th fastest or so in the game, dair is pretty soon after). Lucario may not be the fastest character on startup, but he has really low endlag.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
IASA frames should be called Isai frames...it would be funnier.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Nope, I thought so too, it's just really, really fast.

Marth dtilt's IASA is on frame 27

Lucario's ending dtilt frame (not IASA) is frame 29.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Priority is determined by two things, hitboxes at a given point, and damage (unless it's transcendent, which is a special case). The general rule of thumb is if a certain move does more than 10% compared to the damage of the other move, the stronger move wins, otherwise they clank.

Now with hitbox properties, that's more of a matter of timing and where the damage is found, hence why you see falco jab and tornado cancel crazy stuff.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Fsmash has transcendent priority...nothing will clank with the actual aura part but clanking with his hands can stop the attack.

I'm pretty sure the same applies to Force Palm's flame, but...good luck using that move reliably, lol.

All of his other moves can be stopped.

EDIT: Lol Force Palm lol

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
But that does not always apply given 10% Spheres and fully charged arrows from Pit (10%) beat nado.

Then again looking over other priority stuff with AS... http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250225

We beat some stuff earlier than we'd expect. I dunno, Aura Sphere is weird.
That's because the rule is 8%, not 10. :V

Also, indeed, every single one of our ground attacks except for Dash Attack has an aura hitbox which cannot be clanked with. Some are so small in comparison to how far he sticks his leg/arm out that they hardly matter though.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
That's because the rule is 8%, not 10. :V

Also, indeed, every single one of our ground attacks except for Dash Attack has an aura hitbox which cannot be clanked with. Some are so small in comparison to how far he sticks his leg/arm out that they hardly matter though.
Whoopsy, my bad.

I was thinking "there's no way it's near 7-8%, that's the cypher rule lol".

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Moves that can clank that deal within 8% of each other (staling counts) will clank with hitbox-hitbox collisions.

Otherwise, one will just tear cleanly through the other.

Saltix

Smash Lord
I was playing a DK yesterday, and while standing and charging his punch, he turned around and used it to counter my approach.
Can we do this with aura sphere? Stand and charge in one direction then turn around and shoot it?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
No, we have to stop charging it and turn around (I think).

Or we can Aura Sphere cancel (buffer shield to jump really fast) and do a reverse Aura Sphere in the air.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Well the middle part of it can be clanked for some reason.

The tip or hitbox closest to Lucario are not clankable for some reason.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Moves that can clank that deal within 8% of each other (staling counts) will clank with hitbox-hitbox collisions.

Otherwise, one will just tear cleanly through the other.
to add onto this, there are exceptions. For example, this only applies to normal ground attacks. Normal aerial attacks will not try to clank and will instead just trade. Here’s a good article on priority:
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Priority

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
While dashing, tap back on the control stick and Z and the same time. Your character will perform a special grabbing animation as he or she turns around and grabs.

It can also be performed by quickly dashing one way, then tapping back on the c-stick and Z at the same time for a near-instant or standing pivot grab.

Pivot grabs generally have more range and less cooldown on whiff than a regular grab, but are quite a bit harder to land.

Pivot grabs really aren't that essential to learning Lucario. You should only really mess with them after you've learned everything else, and even then, they're mostly just used for mindgames when dashing through someone's shield, or to punish an overaggressive opponent who chases you too recklessly.

It's more useful for characters with either quick dash animations, or those who get an extensive range/speed boost on the grab, such as Olimar, King Dedede, Marth or Lucas.

While I'm at it, Yoshi's pivot grab is special for how incredibly fast it comes out compared to his other grabs. Watch out for it when fighting one.

Top Bottom