• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Yeah I forgot that.

However, tap jump on gives you the possible risk of eating your jump in certain scenarios when you just wanted to use up as an input of SDI.

However, as a player who played a loooot of Melee before Brawl, I just got used to it being on :p
Shaya actually made a good point about SDI and jumping once.

This is actually a good point, and it does occur on occasion with SOME moves. However automaticly jumping through SDI actually GETS YOU OUT of a lot of things. And SDIng up (i.e. half circle or quarter circle motions) dont have me jumping instantly either... Because you are STILL GOING TO BE IN HIT STUN AFTER BEING HIT BY MOST MOVES; enough time to NOT buffer a jump (which if you were doing qcdi wont happen as the up input was already read and will be ignored until the stick is returned to perfect neutral).
Basically, jumping might be better in these situations.

Also, I will admit that during times that you want to up B or uair without using your jump, occasionally you may lose it due to being overexcited or anxious in the moment, but as you play more, the chances of it happening gets smaller and smaller. It gets even smaller if you become a seasoned Smash 64 player because the controllers are so **** sensitive.

AphoticBankai

Smash Cadet
Sorry About the New Thread

I used to main Lucario and because of that I picked up AWFUL rolling habits. When I switched to Sheik and didn't have a roll blessed by the gods well. It's been my biggest downfall as a Sheik.

I wanna practice somebody else just because, and I kinda wanted to go back to Lucario. But I was worried about that rolling habit.

Do Lucario mains REALLY roll a lot? Or is it still easily punished, so you must learn not to use it all that often?

Basically I wanna know if playing me some Lucario will magnify this bad habit or can I still...within reason, easily learn to break it while playing Lucario?

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Even as a Lucario main you need to avoid bad rolling habits.

Just practice with a "I'm going to be careful with my roll" mindset. Eventually you'll break the habit.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
No problem, I lock things like that to keep the boards organized.

About your problem:
Lucario has a pretty good roll. That being said, there are a couple of situations where rolling is actually good. The problem is, no matter how good it is, a roll is a roll. It's a fixed movement with some vulnerability frames and takes a while to execute, so opponents can read rolls if predictable. You do not want to use rolling as approaching, work on using zoning or other ways to interact with a scenario, so for example, fair is a really good thing to use for approaching as Lucario.

tl;dr if you feel lucario's your best, work on trying not to roll unnecessarily. If you have other chars or if the problem persists, you might want to think about playing people that will punish your rolls really well (play against snakes, they'll make you drop the habit really fast lol), or you might want to switch characters.

Browny

Smash Hater
no

it was a combination of one or more of; fsmash was stale, it didnt tip, you had a stock(s) advantage.

u troll kita

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
no

it was a combination of one or more of; fsmash was stale, it didnt tip, you had a stock(s) advantage.

u troll kita
I've done some pretty pro DI before. I wouldn't be surprised if MK survived it with a super duper perfect glide.

It also depends on the position, where exactly on the stage he was hit by the fsmash, if it was doubles or not so if he connected with another player he would survive longer, etc. :D

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Hey, I was thinking about which of the controller ports is best to play lucario in.
I.E, if cario gets something special if played in a specific port. My guess is it doesn't matter, but I could be wrong.
-t2

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Against snake is pretty obvious.

I think there's an advantage in having 1st port in which your grab armor gets more effective (I heard it somewhere), but I might be wrong on that.

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Having a lower port than your opponent allows you to get the grab when you and your opponent grab at the same time.

Having a higher port means you don't take knockback when you and your opponent both get hit by an attack at the same time when one of you is grabbing the other.

That's pretty much all there is to port priority.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The only viable use I've used it before was for dair once, and it was an accident that I did it in the first place. It's hard to do consistently, plus there's not much reward as opposed to just learning how to space better.

tl;dr I wouldn't invest too much in it, but if you could magically ISJR dair consistently, nobody's holding you back.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Not really, the only things I can think of that you might be able to get away with training w/o someone is spacing and uthrow CG on Fox, but seeing as how Lucario really needs a smarter opponent that knows how to punish some nuances, it's usually better to practice stuff with a friend at least.

Oh yeah, and I guess you could practice ES curving and B-reversals by yourself.

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Right so, remember those pictures of Lucario's hitboxes that Kitamerby made?

Anyone know where they are? I thought they were in the frame data thread but I don't see them there.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's what separates our recovery from Zelda's, spacies, Marth's, etc. (besides a large ledgesnap and not much lag time if you land onstage the right way.)

Learning to use the curve can get you to recover from several angles other characters would die from. (btw c-stick also minorly influences Extreme Speed's motion)

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
thats the name given to the AT where you bounce of the ledge to safety instead of getting edgehogged.

i think flamey put a vid somewhere..

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I stand alone on this, but I think there's a lot to gain from learning Lucario's options with bananas, even though Diddy can insta-throw back at you, there's still lots of tricks you can do just by placing bananas in the right spot (not just throwing them back at Diddy). Plus people forget that landing one full blown attack on Diddy in some scenarios = 7 of his lol, especially if it knocks him offstage :p

AphoticBankai

Smash Cadet
I'm having difficulty getting around Blizzard from Ice Climbers =\. My roommate likes to jump whenever I start to approach from the air and Blizzard me into submission.

Any tips?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
learn to SDI it, also you can out range blizzard with AS (just make sure not to try to use it to outcamp Ice blocks, they'll outdo you).

AphoticBankai

Smash Cadet
learn to SDI it, also you can out range blizzard with AS (just make sure not to try to use it to outcamp Ice blocks, they'll outdo you).
You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I know DI, but every time somebody has talked about SDI or anything like that I've been in the dark. What's the difference between that and normal DI/how do I do it?

thebeastzz

Smash Rookie
What r really bad aproaches 2 b doin. ?and what moves should I jus not start hav a habit for trying? I been improving wit ur tips n thanks guys but I keep gettin punished for rollin alot

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
SDI is DI'ing with the C-stick. the S stands for smash. just move the C-stick right on the moment of impact into the desired direction.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I stand alone on this, but I think there's a lot to gain from learning Lucario's options with bananas, even though Diddy can insta-throw back at you, there's still lots of tricks you can do just by placing bananas in the right spot (not just throwing them back at Diddy). Plus people forget that landing one full blown attack on Diddy in some scenarios = 7 of his lol, especially if it knocks him offstage :p
You're not alone. There's a lot of good options when we use what other people throw at us against them in some way. Ex. Nanner/turnip glidetossing, refreshing moves and extending hitboxes on Waddles, using Wario's bike on himself (great when you're at low damage and need to do something to build damage up) I love to throw the bike up and run at Wario with an Aura Sphere already charged up, epic mindgames, yo.

Not to mention how less troublesome Diddy is when he has immediate access to only one banana.

Using these items and having an Aura Sphere already charged is really scary.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
SDI is DI'ing with the C-stick. the S stands for smash. just move the C-stick right on the moment of impact into the desired direction.
Actually, SDI'ing is using rapid controlstick movements to "teleport" yourself while in hitlag.

QCDI is still a form of SDI.

The C-stick is just one way to do it.

tekkie

Smash Master
i'm at that point in my lucario pick-up-ery where i'm gonna ask a lot of stuff so i'll be posting here a bunch :D

lucario's approach methods are baffling me. on one hand, SH fair to nair/dair or something seemed good, but it's begging for shield grabbing. how does lucario approach?

also how do you wrap your mind around the idea that your range changes dynamically through the match, its blowing my mind :eek:

Top Bottom