• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A thread ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
So we have nothing on the ground he can't grab us out of? :(
After a full hop fair, try aura grinding over him if the fair doesn't connect. It'll make predictiing ur landing a little harder and not to mention u can air dodge land to possibly avoid a potential grab. And when on the ground poke at him with a few f-tilts and retreat with retreating fairs. Basically just a deep breathe in this MU.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Fsmash, but that's if properly spaced and not powershielded, which is all too likely because of its speed. I'd have to look at ftilt, but pretty much everything ground-wise is a matter of guessing.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Fsmash, but that's if properly spaced and not powershielded, which is all too likely because of its speed. I'd have to look at ftilt, but pretty much everything ground-wise is a matter of guessing.
The reason i said f-tilt was because a fsmash leaves you too vulnerable meanwhile a ftilt is faster and has quicker recovery so u can counter and get out of the way. I'll link you to some of my vids when Scatz posts them so u can see. what i mean. You just want to get baited into doing the fmash so the opponent can counter b/c that's what players expect us Lucario users to do when we have space or have the opportunity to.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm almost 90% sure Dedede can grab you out of ftilt.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Dedede can and will grab all of your ground moves. :\

Fsmash can be reacted to, even if charged.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm pretty sure he can just ftilt after Lucario's fsmash, it's safer.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Bad troll.

Go away, bad troll.

Ftilt is probably too slow. I'm pretty sure Ftilt is too slow to touch us after fsmash.
Nope. f-tilt is much faster than fsmash.

When I was talkin about the aura grinding over his head, i meant for its use to change ur landing direction rather than just falling in a direction where DDD knows u are going to land. Also using the aura grind over D3 is risky but u can also air dodge to evade the up-tilt. Next the aura grind over his head is meant to be a surprise move and not to be used more than once otherwise the D3 will expect it. You have to look at the techniques usage possibilities.

I concur Hyper

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Against Dedede, I think it's best to NEVER touch the ground.
Actually, after seeing how it's done, I can agree this is a pretty good assumption. I'd only touch the ground if you're intending to grab D3 for shielding too long or crossing up, but after that it's camp, jump and run all dai imo (w/ aerials of course).

Suikami

Smash Rookie
I'm entering an online singles tourney, so I'm here to ask for advice.

I haven't got time spare to read through exports so I need quick summaries on these matchups, and which stages to ban and cp:

MK
Snake
Falco
Fox
Ike
Link
Toon Link
Wario
Diddy Kong
Marth.

Sorry for asking so much, any help will be appreciated, not long until the start.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman

I haven't got time spare to read through exports so I need quick summaries on these matchups, and which stages to ban and cp:

MK
Snake
Falco
Fox
Ike
Link
Toon Link
Wario
Diddy Kong
Marth.

Sorry for asking so much, any help will be appreciated, not long until the start.

That's a lot to ask for man. But here is wat I can give ya.

Wario: Fair and retreat fair. Also use the uair b/c Wario users are gonna be approaching you from above majority of the time.

MK: Just play safe and careful. Recover smart to avoid gimping.

Snake: Don't fsmash spam or roll too much otherwise he'll punish with DACUS and tilts.

Diddy: Let the monkey come to you. Grab a nana and get to work but don't be so anxious to attack.

TL: The spam is gonna be difficult to get through if ur fightin a smart TL. Get in close when u see the chance.

hough123

Smash Ace

MK
Snake
Falco
Fox
Ike
Link
Toon Link
Wario
Diddy Kong
Marth.

For stages, try skimming through this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226651
It's not done, but it does have quite a bit of info that could help you decide.

hardnoir

Smash Cadet
Anybody know of any Luc vs Oli vids around? I really have trouble combating this little bugger. Read the MU export, but I'd much rather see the strategies put to action. I've actually tried picking him up as a secondary so I could be more familiar with his moveset/tactics, as well as for a cp against D3, but I don't play with him often enough for it to matter. Besides, I don't think I've been playing long enough to worry about a secondary. Figure it be best if I got good with one character before I picked up any others.

Wait, Stealthraptor, don't you live in the KC area or something? You should have some videos between you and Fino, right?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
-Except for the smashes, yes. Most of the smashes are pretty spot on, but PSA doesn't do charging animations of any kind, so the smashes are inaccurate.

-Yes.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think there's a couple of frames you have to take into account w/ crouching, but that's it.

Oh, and SDI is no fun for jab shenanigans. (RJ would tell you all about it lol)

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
jab to shield!

jab to buffer turnaround grab!

but if people sdi down into the stage and then utilt you for the kill its dumb [djiajifejaifjsejgeagaerjgijgeagser]

its even dumber if a snake dthrows you after sding down and reads you into an utilt.

btw we need charge release frames.

I know lucario Dsmash and Upsmash are quick but lucario's forward smash charge release is sloooooooooow.

Suikami

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, before. I do have something else to ask now. =\ Even through reading the exports, I have a lot of difficulty against R.O.B. and Fox. They always seem to cause me a heck load of trouble.

luc-ez

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone I would really like to use lucario as my main character but ive been having problems juggling with him. Does anyone have any tricks or techniques for juggling?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Hey everyone I would really like to use lucario as my main character but ive been having problems juggling with him. Does anyone have any tricks or techniques for juggling?
Uair usually gets the job done fine. If they airdodge, you can generally nair, or possibly dair them as their airdodge finishes.

luc-ez

Smash Rookie
Uair usually gets the job done fine. If they airdodge, you can generally nair, or possibly dair them as their airdodge finishes.
That is if your in the air how to you get juggle them into the air for the nair and uair?
I was watch The Rise of Aura and he does some crazy juggling lol and thats what i want to be able to learn how to do.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol Rise of Aura's cool, but the opponents were not of a good skill level. Some of them looked like they were literally "AFC", if you know what I mean.
also don't forget utilt, if you think you can do it, you can time uair so that you can FF and not receive the landing lag it gets and utilt when they end their air dodge to get them back up.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've realized I'm in a bad habit of rolling away from my opponents when I'm either pressured or just for the hell of it.

I've been looking back at videos of me playing and realized I have a horrible habit of doing this.

Any tips on breaking a bad habit?

Browny

Smash Hater
If youre not getting punished for it / relieving said pressue... why is it a problem?

Its a lot different than roll dodging as an approach, or rolldodge-dsmash like so many bad players do lol

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I partial think it's bad because I'm doing it like a habit.

I'm worried if someone figures out how to punish it I'd have trouble getting out of the habit.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lets put it this way.

-Roll might possibly be one of Lucario's best oos responses.
-retreating roll =/= approaching/cross up roll
-There are options for when you're retreating you can still do stuff like a retreating fair

Basically, it really is more of a style thing, it definitely works as long as they don't have a ridiculous long range punisher like AS, banana, zair, or something, but remember that you could also be doing something at the same time while they're pressing in on you, and that you can only retreat so much before you have to cross up or do something :\

I notice when I was in my roll-happy stages, if I start making my style and zoning more spacing intensive, roll habits tend to disappear, because you need the flexibility that your walling/zoning tools give you, something roll can't do because it's a fixed movement.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
-tilt your control stick, don't smash it, if you have a hard enough time, you might want to turn tap jump off.

-Don't use moves you can't string out of obv., like smashes. Also be careful of using moves like dash attack and force palm, as they have a tooooon of lag or are very unsafe on block.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
What also might help is to remember that you don't have to push the stick all the way for it to register as a tilt. Try tilting it only a fourth or halfway and then press the A button. It'll still work.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Depends, there really isn't anything to gain from tap jump being on (it's not like you have a dragon punch oos lol), so most do it off as Lucario. It's personal preference, honestly.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Depends, there really isn't anything to gain from tap jump being on (it's not like you have a dragon punch oos lol), so most do it off as Lucario. It's personal preference, honestly.
Tap jump.

Allows.

Reliable.

Meteor Canceling.

EVERYONE forgets this lol. When meteor canceling, hitting the X/Y buttons even a frame too early causes you to undergo an "early penalty" that makes it so you can't meteor cancel for the rest of the hitstun. However, when mashing up on the control stick, you don't get that penalty, meaning that you can mash up when hit with a spiking move and almost always jump out of it as soon as you possibly can. You would be forced to wait and guess otherwise, and in such a severe life or death situation such as being meteor smashed, I don't believe you generally have time to estimate the halfway point for your hitstun.

Also, tap jump allows you to perform buffered aerials out of shield easier for some people. If you hold up on the analog stick and use the c-stick for anything but uair, it will always be a short hop. I like doing fair oos this way.

Also, tap jump keeps you ready for when you want to go back to playing the important games: Smash 64 and Melee.

Just practice your uairs, utilts, and up B's without jumping. You'll get it down eventually. If it helps, try playing Smash 64 for a month. You'll need to learn non-jumping uairs and utilts for that game lol.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah I forgot that.

However, tap jump on gives you the possible risk of eating your jump in certain scenarios when you just wanted to use up as an input of SDI.

However, as a player who played a loooot of Melee before Brawl, I just got used to it being on :p

Top Bottom