• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictions for Tier List v4 (Includes overview of entire cast)

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I'll place some... except IC's. I honestly think their the best but don't care enough to get flamed over it.

Top Tier in no order
Snake
MK
Diddy

High Tier in no order
Falco
Wario
Marth
DDD
GaW
Oimar
ZSS
Picachu

Top 4 are the only ones I am sure are top four.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
Problem for me is I don't know anough about many characters to be able to say anything about them. For instance, I refuse to believe Samus is anything lower than B tier, as I have seen nothing that convinced me otherwise. Still, if it's a list you want, here's my prediction:

:metaknight::snake:
:diddy::falco::wario::popo::dedede::marth:
:olimar: :pikachu2::gw::dk2::squirtle::rob::zerosuitsamus:
:toonlink::kirby2::lucario::charizard::pit::peach:
:luigi2::ness2::fox::wolf::lucas::shiek:
:ike::samus2::zelda::sonic:
:yoshi2::bowser2::mario2::ivysaur:
:link2::jigglypuff::ganondorf::falcon:

Reasoning:
IC's have become a large enough threat to be 6th I think. Marth has proven his worth as well. G&W is a favourite of mine and I don't agree with the bad things being said about him. I don't think DK should be C tier when he does so well against so many characters even if one hardcounters him. Lucario is rising but hasnt yet showed why he should be higher. For Ness and Lucas, I don't see why their great moveset should be disregarded because of their crap recovery. Sonic is a character I don't understand, and can't appreciate. Lastly, I think Ganon has showed he is capable of surprising even good players, theory shouldn't be the only factor to put him so low.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah Pierce, about that post you said about Lucario, just wanted to clarify and confirm parts of what you said:
-Lucario's frame data startup-wise is pitiful. However, it's compensated, as I'm sure you're aware, by low cooldown overall (fair actually ends significantly faster than Marth fair, dair ends faster than most one hit aerials in the game :p), and those lingering hitboxes make his moves safer on block than most characters. It does mean that his offensive when he has to makes for a tough thing to do, but most of the time when he's fighting a character that can outcamp him, most of them have lots of general problems killing, which help his options after severe damage has been racked in the long run. I think I understand what you mean by "clutch", but that would be interesting to go into detail with. Dair though is a very gamebreaking concept in itself, even if it is outranged, the mobility and punishment it offers to anyone who tries juggling Lucario (with the possible exception of ZSS and the like) hides a weakness that is usually shared by most of the cast: a soft underbelly. That and it aids recovery in many ways.

Oh, and the reason why people mention Lucario's momentum cancel, it isn't because they're forgetting everyone else can. Lucario has like the 4th or 5th best momentum canceling aerial in the game, behind stuff like MK uair, but combine that with the average weight he gets, and he lives definitely above average %'s compared to the rest of the cast.

Also, I mention this, but I'd actually rather play offstage vs. MK as Lucario than as Marth, merely because having a hitbox on your recovery is meaningless when you gain only so much distance and have fewer options to help (weave away -> dair stall works wonders for Lucario against most gimping aerials, that cooldown I aforementioned means that Lucario can often let an opponent whiff then jump over more safely).
Aura is obviously a double-edged sword, you know this clearly, and addressed its strengths and weaknesses quite well.

Lucario plays the safe game imo very well, which means in a game where he has to approach, it becomes a bugger. This is imo why if the spacies weren't so clunky in design (minus Falco, amazing character, picked him up myself recently), they would be contending for hardest MU vs. Lucario with their pure design of hit and run, which does lots of awful sorts of things to Lucario's momentum based game.

But you have done a good job, considering you don't main tons of these characters. Just wanted to clarify Lucario a bit.

imo Lucario is just short of the qualities of top 10. Having great, tolerable MUs and decent tools really helps, and every time someone's doubted his ability, tournament data often often comes to shove it right back in that Lucario can be a menace to any character. However, having some crude tools, a very inflexible game "goal" sort of speak (it means you basically have to be doing well, or have been racking tons of damage, and certain MUs he has to shift a lot of different gears to play because of a mixture of shortcomings and wide options), a mediocre recovery (although some stupendous offstage tools to help him recover), and some really, really good qualities minus startup time, I think he's the brink of a stand alone tourney viable character that struggles to breach the likes of better and more lethal characters with highly developed tools (like Olimar and D3), or ones that are flexibly adaptive and often have a larger, more universal pool of game plays and switches (Falco, MK, etc.).
I feel that these things constitute why Lucario is definitely 11/12 material, I'm a bit apprehensive to say that TL, Kirby, or possibly even ROB (really strong support though, this guy is very competitive, if only he didn't have ZSS/MK ****) should be above him.

@ above list: There's a lot of things I disagree with on that list, among them that are really not what I think are accurate is Ness, TL, Zard, Bowser, Zelda (in fact, I think Zelda and Bowser should switch places to be a little closer), and DK (although I wouldn't blame you for saying he's got an amazing build that's just stopped by that stupid D3 MU). I could also refute Lucario being below those two (especially TL), but I'll refrain, it's kind of close enough. I will say though that Lucario tournament data is ridiculously high (9th on that list, obviously a little skewed), and MU's/tools have been pretty clear that Lucario "has been shown to make him higher". If disregarding tournament data/actual play is how the list is constructed, then Ganon could not rise above C.F. merely because "he surprises players".
This is though my opinion, so I'm not sure if others would agree or if it's actually of any detriment that the list stands relatively "intact".
Oh, and Lucas doens't have a crap recovery, very common misconception.

tl;dr:

Hi Zero Suit Samus, I'm really happy for you, and Imma lechoo finish, but Lucario is the best low A tier of ALL TIME! Of all time!

M@v

Subarashii!
Interestingly, I've been playing Zelda a lot lately. I'm debating it.

She pokes well with dtilt which leads into stuff, and with Fsmash which is already powerful.
She kills well.
Hyphen Usmash is AMAZING, and shield stabs like a beast.
Mastery of Fair and Bair make punishing amazing.
Dsmash is a great GTFO move, which Zelda needs.
Dash Attack is frame 5, for a great punisher, surprise attack, etc.
Nair does good damage and sets up okay.

However:
She still has a horrible grab
She still can't really approach from the air
She still suffers from dtilt pressure, as it's hard to Fair a crouching character from Shield.
She still has a useless projectile.
She still has a fail recovery.
Nayru's Love is still too slow and a big gimmick.

She's a bit better than I was giving her credit for before. but I still see her being worse than Ike, Ness, Lucas, Jiggs, etc. She's probably above Link, Falcon, Ganon. But can you honestly say Zelda is better than Lucas?

As I continue to improve my Zelda, I'll let you know what I think. I think MK is the best again because of stages. I think Diddy is probably still second best, and the best on neutrals.

Face it you were amazed at my sexy Zelda at br2. :)

see that innuendo I did there?

but yeah, zelda's recovery is so full of fail. Honestly though, she would be so much better just if thunder kick had a bigger sweetspot like it did in melee.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Also, after a bunch of heavy consideration, I realize that due to the dynamics of stages in Brawl, MK is the best character. Diddy is probably second best, followed by Snake, then Falco, then Wario, then ICs.
pierce i am not going to try to argue with u about who is better diddy or snake b/c idk. What i will do is point out this thread is a prediction for tier list #4 so i don't see anyway diddy will be above snake by the time it comes out.

Also on a personal note: i think diddy is a great character who can be annoying as hell to fight but i still think snake is better. I don't have much experance playing against a great diddy but the one i do play against is ok and i find that diddy's problem is that his biggest advantage (bananas) can be used against him. I play ROB who has a great glide toss and throwing animation (its fast) and using his bananas against him have led to me winning matches. This is a major weakness which i think keeps him from moving up above snake at least for now. As i said the diddy i play is just ok so if i am wrong feel free to correct me.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Top 10:
MK
Snake
Diddy
Wario
ICs
Falco
DDD
Marth
Olimar
ZSS

What do think?
Hmm... I'd hesitate to put ZSS in the top 10. I'm not saying she definitely isn't worthy of it, but I don't think she's quite proved herself yet. I'd say 12th or so.

Interestingly, I've been playing Zelda a lot lately. I'm debating it.

She pokes well with dtilt which leads into stuff, and with Fsmash which is already powerful.
She kills well.
Hyphen Usmash is AMAZING, and shield stabs like a beast.
Mastery of Fair and Bair make punishing amazing.
Dsmash is a great GTFO move, which Zelda needs.
Dash Attack is frame 5, for a great punisher, surprise attack, etc.
Nair does good damage and sets up okay.
Yeah, this is mostly true.

However:
She still has a horrible grab
Her grab isn't that horrible. Yes, it's comparatively very slow, but it has extra range thta extends way past her hands. This allows her to potentially shieldgrab more laggy attacks with a lot of shield pushback.

She still can't really approach from the air
She can't really approach at all....

She still suffers from dtilt pressure, as it's hard to Fair a crouching character from Shield.
She still has a useless projectile.
She still has a fail recovery.
Nayru's Love is still too slow and a big gimmick.
This is all mostly true.

She's a bit better than I was giving her credit for before. but I still see her being worse than Ike, Ness, Lucas, Jiggs, etc. She's probably above Link, Falcon, Ganon. But can you honestly say Zelda is better than Lucas?

As I continue to improve my Zelda, I'll let you know what I think. I think MK is the best again because of stages. I think Diddy is probably still second best, and the best on neutrals.
Out of all the characters currently below her, I'd say that Pokemon Trainer, Mario, Ike and possibly Yoshi are better than her. Everyone else I think can be said to be worse. She's definitely better than Jigglypuff and Samus, that's for sure. And the idea of her being on the same level as Ganon is just... wrong.

Face it you were amazed at my sexy Zelda at br2. :)

see that innuendo I did there?

but yeah, zelda's recovery is so full of fail. Honestly though, she would be so much better just if thunder kick had a bigger sweetspot like it did in melee.
The number of times I've been hit out of FW just as I'm about to disappear.... :mad:

In fact, when you start up FW, you're vulnerable for THIRTY frames, and then when you land you're vulnerable for thirty more. The only reason you don't get more people gimping it is that people underestimate just how long it takes Zelda to disappear...

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I don't see ZSS in top 10. Not saying she's a bad character, she's really solid. I just think there are other characters characters better then her that could be top 10 worthy.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I don't see ZSS in top 10. Not saying she's a bad character, she's really solid. I just think there are other characters characters better then her that could be top 10 worthy.
I'd normally agree with you, but her specific characteristics keep her from having many bad matchups in the higher tiers. I suppose that's the main reason why she's regarded so highly when it comes to tier lists.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Falco should be 4th since he beats wario, dedede, and has close matchups with snake, diddy and mk.

Though falco loses to IC, he should be above them.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Falco should be 4th since he beats wario, dedede, and has close matchups with snake, diddy and mk.

Though falco loses to IC, he should be above them.
Falco beats Diddy, evens w/ MK (arguably), Wario and Snake. He also counters D3 and gets countered by ICs.

I'd say 4th best for sure. :sonic:
I thought the Wario matchup was 55-45 or neutral

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm curious as to why Falco would be below Diddy when it's generally accepted that Falco beats diddy. And Falco has good matchups with those above Diddy.

Just curious.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to why Falco would be below Diddy when it's generally accepted that Falco beats diddy. And Falco has good matchups with those above Diddy.

Just curious.
You have to look at the whole high tier, not just the top5

Falco has two counters: Pika and ICs. I don't think Diddy gets destoyed by two or more ppl so that's why.
Isn't marth something like 65-35 as well?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I'd normally agree with you, but her specific characteristics keep her from having many bad matchups in the higher tiers. I suppose that's the main reason why she's regarded so highly when it comes to tier lists.
ZSS' matchups are weird. She goes 40:60-60:40 against almost all of the cast, top tiers and low tiers alike. She get soft countered or goes even with various low and mid tiers like Sheik and Luigi, yet counters a number of high tiers such as Olimar and ROB.

Her main bad matchup is Falco, and that's highly stgage dependent. On Final Destination, ZSS has basically no chance of winning, whereas on certain counterpicks it can be shifted towards her side to make it almost even. It's generally considered around 35:65 on average.

Basically, provided you ban FD against Falco and Diddy, ZSS is definitely tourney viable. Out of all the characters above her, ZSS is definitely better than ROB, and debatably better than Lucario, Kirby and Mr. Game and Watch. IMO, she's better than all of those previously mentioned except for G&W.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
ZSS' matchups .
What do you mean by soft countered? ZSS isn't soft countered (which I think means 65:35) by anyone except Falco. I think Luigi is around even. And I don't think ZSS counters Olimar. At best its 60:40 for ZSS unless there has been some major recent developments in that matchup.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You guys are going in circles. Whenever I come in here, you're all either discussing Diddy's future placements being either best/2nd-3rd best, and then choosing a character, saying "That character is good for blah blah blah", "oh, but look at the MUs", "The character's traits make it better than this other character", "So you're saying this other character isn't good? Well (loop from the first quotation)".

I liked it more when the thread was new, and had a couple of big posts here and there that delved me deeper into the writer's mind. Now it's just one-two-three sentences and move onto the next reply. :(

[/complain]

Oh and, Kirby is still high tier. I don't know why people suddenly say he's not.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
What do you mean by soft countered? ZSS isn't soft countered (which I think means 65:35) by anyone except Falco. I think Luigi is around even. And I don't think ZSS counters Olimar. At best its 60:40 for ZSS unless there has been some major recent developments in that matchup.
For clarification:

55:45 = Soft Counter
60:40 = Counter
65:35 and upwards = Hard Counter

Woozle

Smash Journeyman
Tier lists are like *******s.

Everyone has one, and they all would be much better kept hidden from view in hopes that, in the end, no one has to be reminded of how ****ty they are.

Or something like that.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
You guys are going in circles. Whenever I come in here, you're all either discussing Diddy's future placements being either best/2nd-3rd best, and then choosing a character, saying "That character is good for blah blah blah", "oh, but look at the MUs", "The character's traits make it better than this other character", "So you're saying this other character isn't good? Well (loop from the first quotation)".

I liked it more when the thread was new, and had a couple of big posts here and there that delved me deeper into the writer's mind. Now it's just one-two-three sentences and move onto the next reply. :(

[/complain]

Oh and, Kirby is still high tier. I don't know why people suddenly say he's not.
Kirby fairs rather poorly against the S-A tier characters compared to the other B tier chars.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
For clarification:

If that's what you meant then what you said before would be accurate. But I thought it was
55:45- Near neutral
60:40- Advantage
65:35- Soft Counter
70:30 and up- Hard counter.

Tier lists are like *******s.

Everyone has one, and they all would be much better kept hidden from view in hopes that, in the end, no one has to be reminded of how ****ty they are.

Or something like that.
Or... you can accept them for what they are, not take them too seriously, and have some fun discussing them.

Inferno3044

Smash Master

Just curious.
Just because someone beats them doesn't mean they are a better character. If that was true, Luigi would be top tier because he beats Diddy and Olimar.

Falco has two counters: Pika and ICs. I don't think Diddy gets destoyed by two or more ppl so that's why.:sonic:
Dedede is countered by IC's, Falco, Olimar, Pikachu, and MK (Not sure if Pikachu and MK are but I think they are. Not 100% sure) but he is #6. There are so many factors that go into the tier list. One of those factors is rep and D3 has a lot of rep going for him. I wanna say he is the most common character I've seen besides MK and Snake.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kirby fairs rather poorly against the S-A tier characters compared to the other B tier chars.
Not really, Kirby does better than lots of B tier characters against top+high tiers. Only theoretically does Kirby seem bad. Theoretical stuff can be quite farfetched at times, like how Marth can upB out of multi-hit moves making him easily one of the best punishers around (yet in actual matches, you don't see this pulled off as often as it says in MU discussions).

Buwahahaha, Kirby is high tier! *runs and eats an apple or something* :lick:

There are so many factors that go into the tier list. One of those factors is rep and D3 has a lot of rep going for him. I wanna say he is the most common character I've seen besides MK and Snake.
Popularity isn't considered when making tier lists, or at least not much. The amount of people who use a character don't make the character better or worse, so yeah.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
\thread is tl,dr

Whats the general opinion on Marth?
My top 5 would go

MK
-for obvious reasons

ICs
- in theory, the best chars in the game

Snake
- If he werent so heavy.......

Diddy
- best approach options bar non

Marth
_goes even or beats the rest of the cast
Marth definitely loses to ROB and DK and potentially Wolf, which is considered 50/50 right now on character boards.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i dont see sonic dropping for a while. his metagame has stabilized, and he seems comfortable where he is at. think that unless the metagame of the likes of wolf and bowser dont improve in tourneys, sonic could go up 1 or two spots, but that's about it. his mobility gives him a chance agaisnt many high tiers, and i think as sonic players learn to incoperate his ground movement based abilities (DDP for instance) more comfortably and faster, that he becomes a wild card that is hard to counter pick a stage on.

V

Smash Ace
Marth definitely loses to ROB and DK and potentially Wolf, which is considered 50/50 right now on character boards.
How does Marth DEFINITELY lose to ROB and DK when it's a 50/50? Isn't definitely losing like, 80/20?

V

Smash Ace
^
He is saying definitely does lose, as in is at a disadvantage. He isn't saying he is definitely going to lose...
Ok but even with that definition, Marth still isn't going to lose because both those MUs are 50/50, not a disadvantage.

V

Smash Ace
Which high/top level Marth players has Cable played? I want to see some videos that show DK outright beats Marth. Marth has greater speed and can gimp DK very well. Yes, DK has more range than Marth, which is the name of Marth's game, however, DK only has a handful of moves he can use effectively against Marth, which will make DK fairly predictable. The only move of DK's we can't punish is a retreating bair, so are you just going to throw out retreating bairs the whole time and expect to win? I think this as at least 50/50.

Pierce, give us your input! You know more than me :)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Which high/top level Marth players has Cable played? I want to see some videos that show DK outright beats Marth. Marth has greater speed and can gimp DK very well. Yes, DK has more range than Marth, which is the name of Marth's game, however, DK only has a handful of moves he can use effectively against Marth, which will make DK fairly predictable. The only move of DK's we can't punish is a retreating bair, so are you just going to throw out retreating bairs the whole time and expect to win? I think this as at least 50/50.

Pierce, give us your input! You know more than me :)
DK can out range marth plus DK can gimp marth crazy easy.

DK is also hard to kill so the marth will need a tipper or DK wont die.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
For clarification:

Yeah this is incorrect, 45-55 to 55-45 is basically even, 60-40 to 65-35 is soft counter, anything worse than that is a hard counter.

So Diddy is soft and Falco is on the fringe between soft and hard. MK is somewhere between 55-45 and 60-40 IMO, everything other than that is even or better for her. There may be a few others debatably worse than 45-55 for her, but this is generally correct.

V

Smash Ace
DK can out range marth plus DK can gimp marth crazy easy.

DK is also hard to kill so the marth will need a tipper or DK wont die.
Marth can gimp DK crazy easy too. DK may outrange Marth, but the only move Marth can't punish OoS is a retreating bair. Besides gimps and tipper Fsmashes we have Dolphin Slash OoS and we have tipper Nairs. Similar to how nair works very well against DDD, it works well against DK too.

Both characters can do pretty nasty things to each other that's why it's 50/50.

C.J.

Smash Master
DK doesn't beat Marth...

It's obvious that DK wins in range and living percentage, fine. The main difference is speed, priority, fast punishing moves, pokes, and the ability to recover both on and off stage. Marth wins every one of those. To apply pressure DK has... bair, and bair, and.... bair. His bair leaves him quite open considering how fast Marth is, how fast his attacks are, and how high priority they are. They're anti-air, ftilt is impractical really due to lag and his smashes, other than dsmash, are just slow and if you get hit by them, unless he reads a roll/spotdodge/tech chase, go jump off the stage until the game is over and try again next game. When Marth gets DK in the air, he is screwed. He has a harder time getting down vs Marth than Snake and DDD, which is just sad. If DK gets launched up, you're taking a good bit of damage on your way down. In fact, you're only "safe" way down is to go for the ledge, at which point, Marth kinda ***** when his opponent is on the ledge. Otherwise you have no way to protect yourself on your way down. Bair is just a little too slow and get PSed into uair/usmash/utilt, air dodge gets regrabbed and you get uthrown again, and fair, nair, and side B won't help at all, in any way. And, not that this really matters that much, but, his recovery yells "Spike me please!" DK really relies on attacking without attacking (why doesn't ZMT play DK again, lol) and waiting for you to run into his attacks. He has 5 attacks that he can directly attack his opponent with. Other than that, they're all punishers, and unless Marth is using punishable attacks, Marth just completely outclasses DK in this regard. DK is good, and his range and weight are enough so that Marth doesn't destroy DK, but, it's definitely not enough to keep it from being better for DK than even.

Top Bottom