• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictions for Tier List v4 (Includes overview of entire cast)

Tien2500

Smash Lord
The bolds have kinda added to a statement I made to someone before. I believe that the tier lists are popularity contests, along with the rep. It's similar to how Tekken 2's in-game tier list was(usage). I believe that Marth is also among the top characters in the game, and if you want my honest opinion, I believe that he's the best.

Metaknight has been the best due to his amazing abilities and moveset, as well as the fact that his metagame grew much faster than other characters(easier learning curve). Slowly his metagame is beginning to tap out, and sooner or later, he'll actually fall on the tier list. Not by a huge margin, but to some degree, showing that he's not what everyone made him to be. The majority of the cast is still growing and more is being revealed as time moves on. I think Marth will end up in S-tier sooner than later, though, if more Marth's begin to show up to tournaments and represent him.

I'm just going to post what I think the S-tier list will eventually look like over time.

1. Marth
2. Snake
3. Meta Knight
4. Ice Climbers

Some may not approve, but this is just my opinion.
This seems ummmm... really biased. MK's options are significantly better than pretty much any other characters and no character has really been making significant gains. Marth will never have as safe a recovery, will never have his gimping prowess, will never be able to aircamp, will never be able to plank like Meta, and will never be able to perform well on nearly every stage.

Basically the question is this. What is the major untapped ability that Marth has that will catapult him to the top and what is the major unexploited weakness that MK has that will bring him down? Unless you have an answer to that its just basic speculation.

And Snake is far more likely to go down in the list than Meta. Snake has a ton of weaknesses ready to be exploited. His approach is among the worst in the game, as is his aerial game, and his recovery is subpar as well. If smart players can find a way to best his camping these flaws can be exploited.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
this might just be my opinon but i think neo is the best marth. i have watched videos of mikehaze play and i thought he was the best but i was at a tourney neo was at and i watched him play chu dat and there is no doubt he is the best in my mind. he spaces to well its crazy. the only reasons he does not have the results MikeHaze does is b/c he goes to less tourney and the East coast is harder (tyrant said so himself). like i said this is just imo. (it should be noted i am not some huge neo fan just watching him play was crazy he is to good). this is by no means saying MikeHaze is bad (for he is very good) i just think neo spaces better which makes his marth better.

Flame shield go

Now i don't think marth will ever be #1 to many characters have better things such as MK's move set. Marth is good but will never be #1.

D

Deleted member

Dont argue about stupid stuff like that.
Mike haze has proven hes the best through tourny results and WINS, and his wins are definately better than neos (ally, DEHF, etc).

Neo im sure is amazing and is probably up there, but dont judge by videos and such.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I seem to remember a thread where mikehaze admitted that he thought neo was a better player than he is. I honestly have no clue, I've never seen a vid of neo lol...

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I think neo and mike haze are around the same skill level. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252704

And yeah. Marth boards will pretty much tell you that Marth will NEVER be number one (or close), unless they discover some way to at least make the MK matchup more even. Have you guys seen a good marth against a good MK. The marth has to literally out play MK all game just to barely win. Its so painful to watch.

Metaknight is staying top. I don't even know how people can debate that. Looking at it theoretically and empirically he's the best.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I pointed out it comes from a Peach main because of how opposite she is. She has tons of setups and all those tricks, but due to the fact that her kill moves are flat out bad and most of her raw moves really aren't that impressive, she's fairly mediocre. Maybe it's hard to appreciate the value of a character who works on principles so different from your own?
Peach is not medicore dude. People tend to let "Peach can't kill well, its all over, she sucks,lolololol" Get to thier head. That is about the only thing I hear about so much and why people but her down. Outside of this killing, Peach has much more pros then cons.

Also Peach is a seriously mindgame character. With all the stuff she can do in this game, you can't play typical. She gets it hard for that. if you are not a player with good mindgames and just wanna do the same thing over and over, you won't get far.

But Have you ever thought of how Peach would be if the player were to save their moves and not do the same thing over and over?

NNID
LilG912
I'll kinda disagree agree w/ Pierce7d conclusion about tier list, but Mario's meta-game is not doing good due to Diddy Kong and other high tiers. That'll be impossible for Mario to be C tier. Fox and Wolf don't seem to be D-tiers, they're gud for C-tiers, and have good matchups in the game. I'm thinking if Mario be @ the top of D-tier b/c Ike, Bowser, and Zelda/Sheik in nowadays, they ain't doing good except in low tier tournies.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
\thread is tl,dr

Whats the general opinion on Marth?
My top 5 would go

MK
-for obvious reasons

ICs
- in theory, the best chars in the game

Snake
- If he werent so heavy.......

Diddy
- best approach options bar non

Marth
_goes even or beats the rest of the cast

Javon89

Smash Ace
I'll kinda disagree agree w/ Pierce7d conclusion about tier list, but Mario's meta-game is not doing good due to Diddy Kong and other high tiers. That'll be impossible for Mario to be C tier. Fox and Wolf don't seem to be D-tiers, they're gud for C-tiers, and have good matchups in the game. I'm thinking if Mario be @ the top of D-tier b/c Ike, Bowser, and Zelda/Sheik in nowadays, they ain't doing good except in low tier tournies.
I'd also say Mario belongs in D-tier but a you surely know, his tournament results are crap compared to other characters other wise he'd be at still at 27th.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I'd also say Mario belongs in D-tier but a you surely know, his tournament results are crap compared to other characters other wise he'd be at still at 27th.
I disagree, Mario's inherent bad matchups aren't as heavy as those around him nor as numerous (aside from D3 if the infinite's legal)...I like his spot on this list, and he could potentially move in the future.

Of course...I'm biased...because my Mario's amazing...

Javon89

Smash Ace
Well I'm just saying that D-tier is a good spot below Bowser (I love my Low-Tier tournies) cause Mario is pretty good for a low tier character, his current spot I have mixed feelings about it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Man, Atomsk's Wolf is really impressive. I like the way he uses Wolf's tools. Watching his recent matches have, in my eyes, really shown me his potential.

Wolf players might tell me otherwise, but *shrug* what do I know?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Mario has solid approach options and defense options. Despite what most people say, killing isn't his problem. He has good set-ups, can continue to rack up damage, and an extremely underestimated recovery. His fsmash can easily hit a missed grab, which is easy to cause, through fireballs. His Nair ***** dodging altogether as Boss recently showed me, and his ability to weave is amazing.

Mario's problem is that his punishing game is pretty lame. His Fair is very slow, so if someone hits the front of Mario's shield, he doesn't really have amazing options. His jab, ftilt, and dsmash all quite suffer, and his grab range is absolutely pitiful. THIS is the reason Mario is so bad vs. Marth. On characters like this, once they get Mario in his shield, it's easy to apply pressure, because Mario's range on retaliation is pitiful. His Bair has adequate range to serve as a spacing move.

Mario works around this range problem with his gdlk fireball to create holes and therefore he can get approaches. He also maintains momentum well (seriously, Nair, Dair, and Bair complement each other WAY too good, especially with Uair to top it off). Since most people like to compare, I'll say Luigi lacks the mobility in the air to use his Uair in the same sense, and cannot weave. His aerial moveset is also less complimented by his fireball. Cape also gives him an amazing mix-up, and an alternative option to airdodge, helping him out of juggles, despite being slightly weak from below (not to mention the AMAZING B-reverse fireball.) Still, these options are not immediately accessible OOS. This makes Mario's shield a far weaker tool than most in Brawl (see Ganondorf) and therefore is what ultimately holds him back.

In case you all didn't notice, I added Ike and Bowser a few days ago.

This was posted a few pages ago
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8679095&postcount=1086
I will now reply:

Lucario's frame data on his grounded moves is indeed very slow. His jab is a pitiful frame 6, and his fastest ground move is his frame 5 utilt. His dtilt is mediocre and only useful because he can crawl. I believe it's frame 10 Ftilt is amazing, but has a lot of startup, and I believe it comes out something slow like 12. Lucario's standard standing grab has low range. Basically, he's not beating anyone on the ground in terms of movespeed. With not even a single frame 4 option, he's having a difficult time applying real ground pressure.

The safe Usmash was a typo, and I believe I meant to say Fsmash, and have since fixed it.

Regardless of whether you all finally realized Dair is not as safe as it originally was, I have still correctly labeled it as clutch UTILITY.

I understand perfectly well EXACTLY how Lucario's power bonuses work. Every character is capable of DI and this is completely irrelevant to the MU. Lucario fortunately has a bit of weight backing him up, but no hitbox on his UpB does indeed limit his recovery, despite it still being usable. Lucario's roll allows him to avoid kill moves a lot, but against the good characters, Lucario can easily find himself losing a stock first, and then struggling to catch up against a campy opponent. Aura is neutralizing, but not always in Lucario's favor (ironic as that sounds).

Lucario is one of the characters I understand best, because RJ is my sparring partner. Lucario vs. Marth is a excellent MU for both characters to refine their skills, because Lucario forces Marth to pressure CORRECTLY and apply good spacing, and it's good for Lucario because it teaches him to camp and attack correctly, and to utilize good reads and openings.

About Mr. Game and Watch:

Though it's been beaten to death, GnW is a character who is all about momentum. His amazing hitboxes and generally low ending lag, but pitiful frame data on start-up make him extremely momentum based. I main Marth, so I don't find him a problem, but I'm completely aware of all the exploitable stuff mentioned. This doesn't really neutralize the fact that he generally shuts down a lot of characters below him if you play the MU correctly from the GnW POV. I have a rather unique GnW, so I'm interested in playing you Praxis.

Someone pointed out that you can SDI Lucas' Dair. Someone else said that no one does this. FALSE. I ALWAYS do this without fail. I think Ness and Lucas really do get wrecked by the grab release stuff, and their range issues, which is sad, because they are interestingly built and fun characters.

Wolf and Fox are both really good character builds, except they get ***** by gimmicks way too much. Atomsk's Wolf IS really good (he's going to use it on me in tourney, and I'm not looking forward to it, I hate fighting Wolf). Wolf has a lot of potential in his build and moveset, but his immune system is that of a child. My opinions of Fox and Wolf as of late has rebounded back to their placement in C-Tier.

Also, after a bunch of heavy consideration, I realize that due to the dynamics of stages in Brawl, MK is the best character. Diddy is probably second best, followed by Snake, then Falco, then Wario, then ICs.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
What about Mario's abysmal recovery?
What abysmal recover? Mario's recovery is pretty underestimated. First off, I always assume the player consistently DIs well. Now, Mario, with proper DI, will end up at the top corner of the screen, has fireballs to defend him on his way back down to the stage, can b-reverse a fireball to turn around (and STILL drift back to the stage) WITHOUT wasting cape. He can fall into a safe position below the stage, still retaining his fairly decent double jump, and cape stall effectively if edgehogged. He can also cape instead of airdodging to avoid attacks, meaning you cannot bait him as effectively as other characters. If you go to him directly, his UpB has invincibility and heavy amounts of priority. The hitbox also first emerges on frame 3. This makes him very difficult to beat out in the air. He also has a very good planking game that I developed. His cape is also able to sweetspot the ledge. Fludd can push opponent's away, and rid you of dangerous projectiles, and Nair goes through a lot of stuff.

How does Mario, with good DI, fail to recover?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
What about Mario's abysmal recovery?
Mario's recovery is hardly abysmal. Sure, it's not great, but it's better than the likes of Link and Ganondorf.

I think that Mario should go up. He's a really good gimper in the right hands. In fact, today I was playing as Zelda, and I was just about to grab the ledge after up B, when he caped me from on-stage and sent me falling helplessly. Needless to say, I was not happy.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Mario's recovery is hardly abysmal. Sure, it's not great, but it's better than the likes of Link and Ganondorf.

I think that Mario should go up. He's a really good gimper in the right hands. In fact, today I was playing as Zelda, and I was just about to grab the ledge after up B, when he caped me from on-stage and sent me falling helplessly. Needless to say, I was not happy.
You just listed the two single worst recoveries and said "his recovery isn't as bad as theirs so its not bad"

I'm pretty sure its bottom 5, as previously stated if you are in front of mario he can't really do much and while recovering you're certainly going to be facing the stage.

Every single one of the C tier characters with the possible exception of ZSS and Zelda (although you have sheik so im not sure if that really counts) will usually take at least 1 stock a match with Mario under 80, and thats without looking at the high tiers that Mario cannot compete with at all. All the C-Tier characters can be played against the B and A tier characters with moderate success except Mario.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure its bottom 5 in the game, as previously stated if you are in front of mario he can't really do much and while recovering you're certainly going to be facing the stage.
Couldn't mario just b-reverse a fireball like pierce said? Mario's bair is actually decent.

Javon89

Smash Ace
You just listed the two single worst recoveries and said "his recovery isn't as bad as theirs so its not bad"

I'm pretty sure its bottom 5, as previously stated if you are in front of mario he can't really do much and while recovering you're certainly going to be facing the stage.

Every single one of the C tier characters with the possible exception of ZSS and Zelda (although you have sheik so im not sure if that really counts) will usually take at least 1 stock a match with Mario under 80, and thats without looking at the high tiers that Mario cannot compete with at all. All the C-Tier characters can be played against the B and A tier characters with moderate success except Mario.
Mario doesn't belong in C-tier I give you that (unless Mario becomes even more advanced and changes his match-ups) but he ain't bad or terrible he just can't compete with certain characters. And Mario's recovery isn't that bad better than Bowser, DK, Ivy, Falco, Ike, I sure there's more.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol I can agree with Ike, Ivy, maybe Bowser, but DK and Falco are not sucky at recovery, DK almost never needs it because of his stupid momentum canceling ability lol, just the fact that he takes eons to kill doesn't help either, and as for falco, phantasm is very tough to read if done right, especially if they've mastered the canceled variations, it does get pwned by characters with good edgeguarding capability (like Marth and such), but I think it's a stretch to say that anyone can kill it.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Olimar and Ivysaur have worse recoveries than Link and Ganondorf (though I suppose Olimar is debatable). Mario can recovery from most situations fairly well, except from maybe semi-spikes (which should be DI'd up anyway), with his cape to stall and an up B that goes a reasonable distance and if done right gimping Mario isn't a given.

His recovery isn't the best in the game, it is below average, but only slightly below average. Not enough to call it 'abysmal', whch suggests that he's laughably easy to gimp.

Nair, anyone?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The raw distance of Mario's recovery is mainly where he comes up short. His sheer amount of options offstage, however, keep his rather short recovery distance from being a real issue for him while he's trying to return. Aside from fireballs, cape, and all of the other great options that Pierce included, one of the most underrated and unknown defenses offstage is a fully charged Fludd. It works extremely well to keep the opponent from grabbing the ledge or even getting offstage to try to edgeguard him, mainly because he continues moving forward as he shoots it, and the ending lag is extremely low. It's what keeps characters like MK and Marth from outright destroying him offstage 90% of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syOsDbgCcpU 2:40 is just one example of how effective it is as a recovery tool.

And lol @ "certainly going to be facing the stage". You definitely haven't played a Mario that properly utilizes his offstage options.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Lol, DK's up b has lots of priority (not many moves can hit through it, and destroying some projectiles to prevent gimps), can do amazing damage, gives amazing horizontal distance, can't always be edge-hogged and gives invincibility at the start. It does give some vertical height but it sucks. Spikes ***** it but in Brawl they're situational anyway.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lol, DK's up b has lots of priority (not many moves can hit through it, and destroying some projectiles to prevent gimps), can do amazing damage, gives amazing horizontal distance, can't always be edge-hogged and gives invincibility at the start. It does give some vertical height but it sucks. Spikes ***** it but in Brawl they're situational anyway.
That's why I'm in no hurry to put Mario's recovery over others regarding whose is better...some recoveries are more effective vs certain characters than others.

For example, Falco's recovery is pretty bad vs Mario, but works wonders against characters that can't properly punish it.

Luigi's recovery covers an extremely long range, but is dangerous vs a character like Ike, who isn't even especially strong offstage.

...As long as the character in question can reliably make it back to the stage, then cool beans (**** you Hot Rod...). If not, then it's a serious issue. Pierce can usually make it back to the stage. I can usually make it back to the stage. I REALLY don't think it's that big of an issue.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Well, I judge based on how well I can recover vs. MK. Mario does fine, but you MUST know what you're doing. I wouldn't even call it below average. I always feel like Mario has an amazing recovery, since I have so many options.

I don't believe Mario is far below R.O.B.. As I've already stated, I feel like people VASTLY OVER-EXAGGERATE the unbalance of the game. I think Brawl is very balanced, except at the ends. The best characters are a bit TOO good, and the worst characters are a bit too bad, but the middle is really, really comparable to each other.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Pierce, do you still think Zelda is Fail Tier?

Judging by the ratios Ive been seeing being pumped out of the Zelda Boards, I wouldnt be surprised at this point xD

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Interestingly, I've been playing Zelda a lot lately. I'm debating it.

She pokes well with dtilt which leads into stuff, and with Fsmash which is already powerful.
She kills well.
Hyphen Usmash is AMAZING, and shield stabs like a beast.
Mastery of Fair and Bair make punishing amazing.
Dsmash is a great GTFO move, which Zelda needs.
Dash Attack is frame 5, for a great punisher, surprise attack, etc.
Nair does good damage and sets up okay.

However:
She still has a horrible grab
She still can't really approach from the air
She still suffers from dtilt pressure, as it's hard to Fair a crouching character from Shield.
She still has a useless projectile.
She still has a fail recovery.
Nayru's Love is still too slow and a big gimmick.

She's a bit better than I was giving her credit for before. but I still see her being worse than Ike, Ness, Lucas, Jiggs, etc. She's probably above Link, Falcon, Ganon. But can you honestly say Zelda is better than Lucas?

As I continue to improve my Zelda, I'll let you know what I think. I think MK is the best again because of stages. I think Diddy is probably still second best, and the best on neutrals.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Interestingly, I've been playing Zelda a lot lately. I'm debating it.

She pokes well with dtilt which leads into stuff, and with Fsmash which is already powerful.
She kills well.
Hyphen Usmash is AMAZING, and shield stabs like a beast. Ftilt has a very thin and precise hitbox btw, so try that angled up and down to see how well it sheild stabs. Im not sure how affective it is, just something to think about?
Mastery of Fair and Bair make punishing amazing.
Dsmash is a great GTFO move, which Zelda needs.
Dash Attack is frame 5, for a great punisher, surprise attack, etc.
Nair does good damage and sets up okay. If you hit with every hit except the final one with the knockback, it leads right into a lot of ground moves ;)

However:
She still has a horrible grab True. I get more grabs from people who dont know how slow it actually is by having them spotdodge too early xD However, the range is good so its not compeltely unusable.
She still can't really approach from the air She cant approach period. Nair is probably her best choice of approach. Do you think walking is a legit way to approach?
She still suffers from dtilt pressure, as it's hard to Fair a crouching character from Shield. Try a bair OoS. Its a lot easier. Just takes 1 extra frame to turn around. Imo its one of the best OoS options in the game against medium-tall character.
She still has a useless projectile. Situational, not useless. Useless for camping though.
She still has a fail recovery. Pretty much. Someone on AiB was looking into a Teleport Cancel from offstage though, which Im interested to see how it develops.
Nayru's Love is still too slow and a big gimmick. NL would be better if it had less cooldown :\

She's a bit better than I was giving her credit for before. but I still see her being worse than Ike, Ness, Lucas, Jiggs, etc. She's probably above Link, Falcon, Ganon. But can you honestly say Zelda is better than Lucas?

Dunno about Lucas. I think shes better than Jiggs and Samus. Imo, Ike and Zelda should be very close when it comes to overall placement considering they have similar matchup iirc. Zleda wouls be 1-2 spots below though, because hers are slightly worse in couple top/high tiers.

As I continue to improve my Zelda, I'll let you know what I think. I think MK is the best again because of stages. I think Diddy is probably still second best, and the best on neutrals.
What I think it red. Its cool that youre looking into her though :D I think she's slightly better than E tier, but slightly worse than D tier on your list in the OP. So top of E or bottom of D is where'd Id put her.

Why do you think Jiggs is better?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I dunno about Samus, but I'm not saying you're wrong. Jiggs I've also been playing around with, and I'm really liking the way she handles. She's legitimately safe on block with Bair, can kill, and just has a lot of stuff going for her. Her ground moves are really bad though, lmao. She's so weird and under-developed, I have no real idea of where she goes. Rest is also really good.

Back to Zelda. We agree the grab is bad.

I think it takes two frames to turn around, though I could be mistaken. However, that's totally irrelevant in this case, because you'd do a Fair OOS because jumping OOS has no shield drop penalty. If you shield drop, it's 7 frames, plus turning around, which is 2, then jumping, which is 5, then Bair which I don't know the data for, but it's pretty quick, probably about 4. That comes out to approx 16 frames which means you would never do a turnaround Bair from shield drop OOS LMAO.

Walking is a good approach. You have ftilt, dtilt, Nair, Fair, Usmash all available. It wouldn't be so pitiful if it weren't for the fact that if I run up and shield, you can't grab without me being able to wait for that option and react to it.

I try to hit the teleport cancel from offstage everytime I recover. Haven't gotten it yet though. Sometimes I aim for platforms instead of the ledge.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Hmmmm thats right. Completely forgot about all that sheild frame data and stuff lmao. Id just go for a Usmash or Dsmash OoS instead of an Fair OoS however. When the opponent is already behind Zelda in her sheild however (as in she is facing away from them) then bair OoS is legit.

@ the walking approach, if I see you running towards we how would a pivot grab do? Zelda has some great range on that. Sorta of on the verge of a mindgame than a tech imo though since you move back first.

Aaah how do like Jigg's rest T.T I find it so pitiful in this game. I was playing my friend just yesterday, my Jiggs vs his CF. Both on our last stock. I rested him at like 90-100% or somewhere along those lines and I thought I won. Well the knockback is so pathetic now that he survived and I got a Pawnch to the face.

Thats my stroytime for the day lawl.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Usmash OOS is amazing if the opponent spaces poorly, and shield drop dsmash is pretty decent as well, but if the opponent spaces an aerial on your shield, you're going to want something with range to punish. In this case, probably Fair.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Oh imagine if Zelda could DACUS ^_^ That would be epic.
I never think of fair OoS, thats probably a good option against an aerial spacing Marth or ROB, yes? How good is Zelda's fair range compared to Marth's?

Browny

Smash Hater
Regardless of whether you all finally realized Dair is not as safe as it originally was, I have still correctly labeled it as clutch UTILITY.
Wut.

OK explain this term, and then give other examples of clutch utility aerials, and how Lucario's dair falls into the same category, but not into the simple category of a very good aerial attack (like kirby bair)

Top Bottom