• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Predictions for Tier List v4 (Includes overview of entire cast)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
G&W has really good juggling ability, gotta give him that.
Unfortunately, it's less of his tools being labeled "unvaried" (it didn't matter way back when unless you outranged him when he was facing backwards, bair was still too good before it everyone learned to stuff it/DI it all the time), and more that his tools are getting craptastic due to DI, teching, learning of his metagame, etc.
However, there are still a lot of lower tier MUs who don't get the same benefit as higher tiers in knowing how to play him, as most are vastly shut down by G&W's zoning and shutdown games (dtilt can sweep even marth if he isn't careful with fair, not that it makes him at a disadvantage), but there are waaay too many higher tier characters that have been able to work around and totally destroy G&W's once solid metagame. Nonetheless, having one of the best momentum canceling techniques in the game, a strong juggling game that often beats on most of the opponent's options without being read, amazing properties on his smashes (if done right are a bugger to punish and have amazing range to killpower ratios), I think actually if anything G&W needs more reliable setups for damage/highly advantageous scenarios than his current ones to make his game better, most of them seem to rely on the opponent goofing it up big time, as most who he could abuse higher up could theoretically outzone attempts, fair though is a great gimper when used properly, and kills when the opponent has still lived through his other hard to land kill options. If G&W had an average ability to survive, I'd probably say he'd be totally ***** and moving down, but the fact that he outlives a ton of other characters means that even if fair kills late, it isn't terribad for someone like him who can endure and be able to play it out for the extended period to do it. Needless to say, I think he's going to drop, probably down 3 spots.

I think what Praxis is saying though is that it isn't that G&W has no setups for killing, as much as it's just that all the mentioned setups are kind of unwieldy against characters with a better mobility or range/safety than him, which is a lot of the characters that matter in the metagame.

That's my two cents anyways.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Someone needs to kill the good player who originally said this. Predictability is based on player not character, I thought this was common knowledge/sense, but I guess not.
Not really. Some characters have a lot of useful options in most circumstances and some have few. Some characters though can do very well with a few options (Snake is fairly predictable) but some cannot.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Praxis I still <3 u :-D
Maybe that counts for your character, but not every character has the tools to handle GaW's smashes.
Every tournament viable character does.

How can you smashDI a single hit so much to avoid a smash (you'd basicly be all Goku up this game), and obvious setups are obvious, but there ARE less obvious setups, and sometimes you just have no options
G&W, of all characters, can almost never force this kind of situation. He has no projectile game worth speaking of, meaning that the opponent with a projectile gets to force the terms and conditions of a confrontation by forcing the G&W to approach. As such, G&W has no way to set up a kill move without either a direct read or a clear mistake on the part of the opponent.

There's a difference between PUNISHMENT moves and READ moves. Metaknight's downsmash, G&W's fair, Snake's utilt, etc are all reactive moves that can punish things an opponent may do- an attack on a shield, an airdodge forced by another attack. G&W's smashes, however, can punish very few things in the game, and hit almost entirely based on reads and predictions, NOT punishments for actions. There's a very enormous difference, and in high level play, moves that can be used to punish certain situations are of greater value.

And, I DO Smash DI nair. UTD Zac noticed it and commented on it last time we played. You know what's really fun? Smash DIing through the entire Bair to pop out the back and bair G&W back. :3

Not every character has a Tech Roll that fast, i.e. if I play my zero suit and a GaW predicts my tech roll with an usmash I'm ****ed, even WITH a 1 frame jab
However, most of the good characters in the cast won't have a problem with this.

Get ***** Olimar.

This is a poor outlook. Mr. Game & Watch, or any other character, is not affected by popularity. Mr. Game & Watch still rules and is top tier calibur even if no one plays him. People talking down on him is obnoxious, but it's not a big deal. His ability to win isn't affected by what people think, and I'm assured enough in the quality of my character not to feel insecure about it. The SBR can put Mr. Game & Watch below Ganon for all I care; he is and always will be top tier by my reckoning.

I would comment how interesting the comments from a Peach main on this are. "No kill setups whatsoever" is quite the ****ing analysis... except for the part where that's totally missing the point of the character. Mr. Game & Watch has fairly few "setups" (though he does have a few handy things); he is all about landing things cold. His moves rule on a ton of levels; this is completely realistic. They have great range with massive disjoints, do tons of damage, work as some of the best shield pressure in the game, generally aren't very punishable, and kill low. He even has uair combined with such a diverse moveset that he is probably the least affected member of the entire cast by stale moves. Mr. Game & Watch has amazing mobility thanks to the unique options Fire and dair give him. His amazing recovery and bucket braking mean his survivability isn't even bad, contrary to what you might think from his low weight (but his low weight and generally good physics do a fine job of making him one of the hardest to chainthrow/combo characters in the game). Him not having many setups is an explanation for why he's not ridiculously broken, not an explanation for why he's "not very good at all".

I mean, killing with G&W is pretty basic stuff; control the flow of the match and just look for when you can land stuff. Just look at UTD Zac play, really. He lands Judgment 9 a stupid amount (lucky guy!); Judgment Hammer is the single hardest move in Mr. Game & Watch's moveset to land. You can't tell me the opportunity to land all of these things doesn't exist; it's not like he's using magic to land Judgment Hammer (though I suspect he has minor magic at work to determine which number he gets). Mr. Game & Watch players just need to build the right positions and make things happen. If G&W isn't landing something, either he doesn't need to land it in that match or he's just being outplayed which isn't a character based thing. I could really get into it more, but I don't see the need.

I pointed out it comes from a Peach main because of how opposite she is. She has tons of setups and all those tricks, but due to the fact that her kill moves are flat out bad and most of her raw moves really aren't that impressive, she's fairly mediocre. Maybe it's hard to appreciate the value of a character who works on principles so different from your own?
My opinion comes from a very, very strong understanding of G&W as a character. I've played Lee Puff the most I think outside of Valdens; I believe we went 7-2 in friendlies at Genesis and we're 4-1 in MMs. G&W has a lot of issues that most players simply don't take advantage of. His terrible roll and tech roll, the inactive frames of the bair that let you outspace it with many, many moves, the way his up-B carries you with it so you can still hit G&W with an attack if spaced properly so that you hit him as he drags you up, the free hits you can get off of edgehogging his up-B and punishing the lag as he passes you, the fact that you can force him to approach even with a crappy projectile like a turnip, and the fact that he has no safe way to return to the ground from the air...

I honestly don't think G&W has any matchups better than 60-40 his favor, those matchups being ROB (bad shield and tech roll), Yoshi (no moves OOS), and Peach (terrible airdodge, can't kill him below 200% consistently). Of those, Green Ace consistently beats every G&W on the EC with Yoshi, and I beat every G&W on the WC with Peach.

EDIT: Not counting crap-tier like Ganondorf. xD

I've got so many stupid tricks against Game & Watch that nobody else uses that i'm pretty sure he'd drop multiple spots in the tier list if I simply wrote a guide.

Heck, just go watch Havok vs UTD Zac and Havok vs Valdens. He plays the matchup properly with MK, and it's horrifically skewed. People just don't exploit G&W's flaws.

And don't mention UTD Zac's Nine's to me ever again.

I only had 30%...WHYYYYY...T_T

So, I'm going to specifically tear down the part of your post about what makes G&W "good".
His moves rule on a ton of levels; this is completely realistic. They have great range with massive disjoints, do tons of damage, work as some of the best shield pressure in the game, generally aren't very punishable, and kill low.
work as some of the best shield pressure in the game,
G&W's attacks aren't safe on shield at ALL, except retreating nair. >_>

They have great range with massive disjoints,
And invisible inactive frames that most players do not exploit.

generally aren't very punishable,
I don't understand what aspect of G&W's moves aren't punishable. As I said, most people don't exploit G&W's flaws. You can drop shield and jab OOS when the turtle's head dips if you have the timing in your muscle memory. If he fastfalls to prevent this, he will suffer from 12 frames of lag within jab range; more than enough time to drop shield and jab with a good chunk of the cast.

His nair can similarly be punished with shield drop in the later inactive frames unless he's retreating it (which is not an approach).

His down air suffers from 12 frames of lag and can be punished with shield drop jabs.

and kill low.
But cannot land with any consistency if your opponent refuses to approach.

D

Deleted member

Praxis knows whats up.
G&W is carried a lot by his massive punishment game (off of reads, not like punishing OOS), which can give him 30+ percent easy juggles, kills, and that.
His offstage game is also very powerful.

G&W is pretty much awful in neutral positions though.

Btw praxis, yoshi can shield grab G&Ws back air , depending on how far they retreat, and our up air beats the key soooo :)

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Praxis, why isnt the Zelda matchup against GaW **** for her?

Ive never fought a good GaW, and all the tourney Zeldas say its just horribad.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

Or Game and Watch against the Mario Bros, or Jigglypuff...

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Praxis, for the record, Mr. Game & Watch vs. Yoshi is 60-40 in Mr. Game & Watch's favor. Sure, the lack of OoS options hurt (as they do in every match-up), but Yoshi has some tricks that he can use against Mr. Game & Watch to even out the playing field. Sockz mentioned using u-air to counter his d-air and shield-grabbing his b-air, but some other things that he can do is juggling Mr. Game & Watch with grabs (he's actually one of the easiest characters to do this on) and f-smashing through his b-air.

However, if people don't know the match-up, then yes, Mr. Game & Watch will absolutely **** Yoshi. You just need to know what to do in certain situations and you'll be fine. If you know what you're doing, you should rarely be hit by his smashes. It's actually normal to live to high percentages against him and be killed by his f-air.

:069:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Yea, being able to SDI G&W's nair and bair works wonders regardless of the matchup. Top of B tier sounds about right for him.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Or Game and Watch against the Mario Bros, or Jigglypuff...
Actually, I'm not sure about Zelda. I know Shiek doesn't do that bad, her main hinderance being killing.

Luigi I don't think does that bad at all. I've been working with LuigiKing to teach him the matchup and he sees where it's going. Probably still 60-40, but not that bad at all.

ROB:G&W isn't nearly as bad as I used to think it was, either. Bair on shield should NEVER go unpunished if ROB doesn't get shieldpoked (jab OOS if the bair is rising, bair OOS after the final hitbox if fastfell, dash attack or ftilt OOS if pulled back), nair is equally unsafe due to jab, as is dair. ROB's excellent jab just punishes everything G&W does and his projectile game forces reaction. He'd honestly counter G&W if not for, well, getting shieldpoked through everything, juggled all day and having a bad tech roll that gets usmashed. :( HolyNightmare thinks it's 55:45 G&W.

4nace

Smash Ace

Key beats up smash pretty much every time.

Turtle beats all of Zelda's aerials. Up air is good because Zelda sucks when she's being juggled.

And then G&Ws smashes kill earlier than Zelda's which is usually the one thing Zelda has going for her.

Game and Watch can gimp Zelda pretty easily with forward air and neutral air.

Also bucket makes Din's Fire a pretty terrible move, especially since G&Ws bucket in the air all the time even when they are not expecting a Din's.

Oh, and Zelda is a bad character... G&W isn't haha.

But yea, that match-up is evident even at nub levels, and it doesn't get any easier vs good Game and Watches.

NNID
Budget_Player

G&W absolutely destroys zelda. Zelda's largest saving grace against melee chars, Din's Fire, is totally worthless in this matchup. Game and Watch's bair beats out virtually all of her options, and IIRC dair beats Usmash.

Kirby doesn't deserve C tier seriously, he should be A-tier because on first, He's powerful and his moves that involve his foot has long-range. I know it his range isn't the greatest but it's still good. Kirby usually is misjudged by a lot of people these days and plus and plus I don't really care about tiers and tiers depend on SBR but all most people know is that no one can remove MK from 1st place.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Kirbeh in the likes of Falco/Wario? I dun think so
Unless you're talking about the SBR tier list, as opposed to the one in this thread.
Kirby definitely will not go any lower than Middle of B-tier (SBR tier list), his punish game plus gimping capabilities make him both decent against higher tiers and a good threat to lower tiers with bad recovery capability. I still feel he's going for a drop, but I don't think he's weaker than someone like TL or Pit in the current tier list positions.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
ok so pierce i am going to disagree with your thought that diddy is the best in the game and i am not even going to bring up his MU ratios or that he has disadvantages while another character does not.

the reason he is not the best is b/c of something ADHD himself said and that is that in a best out of 5 set diddy is at a disadvantage due to stages available to him. I don't think the best character in the game could have this type of disadvantage it keeps some diddy's from winning in tournaments.

i also want to state i think diddy right now is #3. at this moment in time with tournament results being what they are and of course Ally beating ADHD regularly at tournaments i don't see how u could put diddy ahead of snake. This is not to say that diddy could never become #2 ahead of snake b/c snake does have some weaknesses such as being juggled and just not very good in the air but at this moment in time those disadvantages snake has have not effected him enough to move him down below diddy.

This is why i believe your thought that diddy is #1 is wrong and further more why i believe diddy is in fact #3. There are of course more reasons as to why diddy is 3rd and not higher but i am sure u have heard them all before.

edit: also i have just started to pick up pit as a 2nd and i agree he has untapped potential. my question is why do u put snake as a problem for pit when the pit boards have the MU in pit's favor. i know the snake boards have it in there favor but still its only a 55/45 from ether view which shows neither pits nor snakes think its a bad MU for pit

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
G&W absolutely destroys zelda. Zelda's largest saving grace against melee chars, Din's Fire, is totally worthless in this matchup. Game and Watch's bair beats out virtually all of her options, and IIRC dair beats Usmash.
I wouldn't say Din's is worthless even if you can bucket the move. Dair doesn't beat usmash 100% of the time and uair and utilt can beat dair. I'm pretty sure G&W doesn't want to get touched by Zelda's utilt. Also bair can doesn't beat up tilted ftilt from what I high. So it's not that much ****.

pierce's prediction seem extremely bias and like over exaggeration.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
A good enough Fox shouldn't get D-smash locked by a ZSS
They shouldn't get Dsmashed very often but it will happen now and then. Dsmash is 20 frames which obviously is on the slow side but its not so slow that its impossible to hit. Of course if Fox is perfectly spaced he's safe but mistakes do happen even in top level play.

Of course Dsmash isn't enough to shut down Fox. Its still a very winnable match for fox (no worse than 60:40) but the Dsmash is still a factor.

V

Smash Ace
I think Marth in this list should be in A tier along with Falco and Wario. He dominates a lot of the cast below him and he has no unwinnable MUs. His range and speed shut many characters down entirely and they allow him to compete with MK, Snake and D3. Yes, his recovery is a little below par, but not many characters that are even or advantage MUs against him can actually gimp him, just MK, D3 and ROB (Out of his even or worse MUs). While MK is arguably the best in the game, he isn't the worst MU for as many characters as Marth is. He juggles Snake and D3 very well which makes those MUs closer to even. I think his tournament results show that he's definitely on par with Falco and Wario. I don't argue at all with Pierce's points on Marth's strengths and weaknesses, but I think he's good enough to bump him into A tier according to this list.

Edit: If you go to the matchup chart thread and character ranking thread, Marth is #3 in both lists. I think that qualifies him to be among the ranks of Falco and Wario.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
I think Marth should be in the tier Dedede and the Ice Climbers are in. They are all very good characters, but lack that specific aspect that makes you a major tournament character. Marth is very well rounded, but has an average recovery and doesn't have any truly overpowered tools. He is just... very good overall, but without any extremes.

V

Smash Ace
I think Marth should be in the tier Dedede and the Ice Climbers are in. They are all very good characters, but lack that specific aspect that makes you a major tournament character. Marth is very well rounded, but has an average recovery and doesn't have any truly overpowered tools. He is just... very good overall, but without any extremes.
He has IC in S tiers and D3 in B, so which tier is it?

Also, I know Marth doesn't have anything like MK's tornado and Diddy's bananas, but if we're going to compare them to the dominance level of Falco and Wario, I think he's easily on the same level as them. Also, Marth has advantages over Diddy, IC, Falco, and Wario, who are all above him on this list, which I also think warrants him to be in this A tier. Marth goes even with DK and ROB, but you don't see many DK players due to D3 being a tourney viable character and wrecking him. I see a little more ROB players than DK, but MK and GW take care of him pretty well and they're pretty common. D3 has an advantage over Marth, but D3 has more disadvantages than Marth does, so the chances of D3 getting knocked out of a tournament are greater than Marth, so the chances are greater that Marth will not have to deal with a D3 than that he will (assuming nobody uses D3 as a secondary). IDK in my opinion Marth is just as good as Falco and Wario.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
Great OP. Really fun to read.

IMO R.O.B. should definately be High Tier though. He´s pretty great. Gets outcamped by almost no characters, arguable the best recovery in the game, and really heavy. His Ftilt outranges everything Marth has aside from B. His only weaknesses are that he´s easy to juggle and the infinite that ZSS has on him.
Really IMO R.O.B. should never fall below high. He´s just way too good for Mid.

Storm_Fox

Smash Apprentice
Fox I reckon will move up 1 or 2 spots maybe but he will rise. He's got the potential and his matchups are even or slight disadvantage. (Minus sheik, pika, IC's)

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Sheikk vs Fox isn't even THAT bad. Ftilt lock hurts....but honestly doesn't make this one sided. I'd say 60-40, but who the **** am I?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Edit: If you go to the matchup chart thread and character ranking thread, Marth is #3 in both lists.
Character ranking yes, but please don't refer to the matchup thread...yet. Diddy is #19... Luigi is among bottom 10...because their matchups arn't complete yet. Marth wouldn't have #3 in matchups I bet if Diddy was finished up :p

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
A good enough Fox shouldn't get D-smash locked by a ZSS

"Fox can neither poke, nor punish very well."

Up-Smash
Oh, so ZSS's dsmash can't be a punishing move? I think it's a more powerful tool towards Fox, than Fox's usmash is to ZSS. And if you TRULY believe that no Fox will ever get hit by a dsmash, you don't know how to play. People who state absolute things like that (a good X character will never get hit by a Y attack) seriously need to play better people.

Edit: If you go to the matchup chart thread and character ranking thread, Marth is #3 in both lists. I think that qualifies him to be among the ranks of Falco and Wario.
Sadly, Drewk, the matchup thread is both unfinished AND fueled by unreliable matchup numbers. People are always arguing how a matchup "isn't THIS number, but in fact is THAT number", some overestimate their character and make ratios that are far from the truth, and others underestimate their characters and end up having worse matchups than they should... Which is why MU discussions aren't a very reliable source, if you go by numbers. If Marth truly was #3, where's all the rep at top levels of play? If you can mention one Marth or two, that's all you'll see around while the other characters have more solid rep due to them being better PRACTICALLY and not THEORETICALLY (which is what MU discussions are fueled by... Theoretical situations).

V

Smash Ace
There are several top notch Marth players. MikeHAZE, Neo, Roy_R, Kadaj, and Pierce7d.

I agree on that matchup thread. I went back and noticed how low Diddy Kong is, which is ridiculously stupid, but even if Marth isn't #3 in MUs, he has to be in top 5. He only has 3 disadvantaged MUs and two of them are 55-45 which isn't horrible at all.

Even tho other characters have a more solid rep, Marth has a higher learning curve than most. And the fact that in the rankings thread, based off of tournament results, Marth is #3 with not as much rep, means that the top Marth players are doing VERY well in tournament, because they have to make up for the lack of Marth mains.

Besides the point of the MU thread and Rankings thread, Marth is easily as good as Falco and Wario.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
That matchup chart has the character boards matchup ratios though. We dont know if those are actually truly correct. Which I think is the point (correct me if Im wrong)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
That matchup chart has the character boards matchup ratios though. We dont know if those are actually truly correct. Which I think is the point (correct me if Im wrong)
Exactly. And the ratios are always changing, and mainers usually exaggerate (for better or for worse) their MU ratios just to see an advantage or because they underestimate their own characters.

And, all those players you listed, Drewk, are high level players, not TOP level players... Top levels would be ahead of the rest of the players by a noticeable margin. Would you expect a high level MK to beat Ally? What about a high level Snake to beat M2K? Or, to use other examples... A high level Marth beating a top level DDD?

V

Smash Ace
MikeHAZE beats Ally. I don't think and top level Marths have fought a top level D3 yet (you'd have to get MikeHAZE to play Atomsk). It's arguable that MikeHAZE is the best Marth right now because of his tournament results with TOP level players such as M2K, Ally, DEHF, Fiction, and others. He took 2nd at Activex, which had a ton of TOP level players. MikeHAZE is a TOP level player.

I went back to the MU thread and compared Marth's ratios in there to the ones in the Marth boards and they're spot on. Now, granted many good characters aren't finished yet, but can you name one of Marth's MUs in that thread that is exaggerated either way?

Even if we were to set aside the MU thread, why would Marth not be at the same level of Falco and Wario?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
MikeHAZE beats Ally. I don't think and top level Marths have fought a top level D3 yet (you'd have to get MikeHAZE to play Atomsk). It's arguable that MikeHAZE is the best Marth right now because of his tournament results with TOP level players such as M2K, Ally, DEHF, Fiction, and others. He took 2nd at Activex, which had a ton of TOP level players. MikeHAZE is a TOP level player.
I said HIGH level players versus TOP level players, not top vs top. Ever wonder why Kadaj, neo, Pierce and the others can't get to those sexy top spots in national tourneys? Because they're not as skilled as MikeHAZE. Saying otherwise would imply that they could beat MikeHAZE's accomplishments... And i meant by my first post, that there are a couple of high level players, but a handful of top levels.

I went back to the MU thread and compared Marth's ratios in there to the ones in the Marth boards and they're spot on. Now, granted many good characters aren't finished yet, but can you name one of Marth's MUs in that thread that is exaggerated either way?
Theoretically, I can't. In practice, I'm pretty sure it doesn't go the same way as SWF's character boards say they do. Remember that a majority of the ones arguing in the discssion threads are NOT top levels, and only a couple are high level: the rest are mid-level players.

Even if we were to set aside the MU thread, why would Marth not be at the same level of Falco and Wario?
Does Marth have the ability to camp and regain an advantage, then camp and keep it? That's a very important option that we see is being used by both MK and Snake at ALL levels of play. Marth can't do this, but his inherent traits make it so that he is good enough to make it THAT high in the SBR tier list. If you look at all the characters near the top, they all have options like the one I said... MK, Snake, Wario, Falco, Diddy, even DDD.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Theoretically, I can't. In practice, I'm pretty sure it doesn't go the same way as SWF's character boards say they do. Remember that a majority of the ones arguing in the discssion threads are NOT top levels, and only a couple are high level: the rest are mid-level players.
Your not giving character boards enough credit.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Even tho other characters have a more solid rep, Marth has a higher learning curve than most.
No offense, man, but other than like GaW, Marth has like the LOWEST learning curve. No character is "easy" to play well, but...really? Singling Marf as comparably hard to play as? Dude, talk to and IC main...or...anyone...lol

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
There are several top notch Marth players. MikeHAZE, Neo, Roy_R, Kadaj, and Pierce7d.

I agree on that matchup thread. I went back and noticed how low Diddy Kong is, which is ridiculously stupid, but even if Marth isn't #3 in MUs, he has to be in top 5. He only has 3 disadvantaged MUs and two of them are 55-45 which isn't horrible at all.

Even tho other characters have a more solid rep, Marth has a higher learning curve than most. And the fact that in the rankings thread, based off of tournament results, Marth is #3 with not as much rep, means that the top Marth players are doing VERY well in tournament, because they have to make up for the lack of Marth mains.

Besides the point of the MU thread and Rankings thread, Marth is easily as good as Falco and Wario.
The bolds have kinda added to a statement I made to someone before. I believe that the tier lists are popularity contests, along with the rep. It's similar to how Tekken 2's in-game tier list was(usage). I believe that Marth is also among the top characters in the game, and if you want my honest opinion, I believe that he's the best.

Metaknight has been the best due to his amazing abilities and moveset, as well as the fact that his metagame grew much faster than other characters(easier learning curve). Slowly his metagame is beginning to tap out, and sooner or later, he'll actually fall on the tier list. Not by a huge margin, but to some degree, showing that he's not what everyone made him to be. The majority of the cast is still growing and more is being revealed as time moves on. I think Marth will end up in S-tier sooner than later, though, if more Marth's begin to show up to tournaments and represent him.

I'm just going to post what I think the S-tier list will eventually look like over time.

1. Marth
2. Snake
3. Meta Knight
4. Ice Climbers

Some may not approve, but this is just my opinion.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
NEO's still regarded as one of the top level marths, just for the record, but doesn't get nearly the same amount of results as MikeHAZE.
The others I agree play on a slightly lower level, no offense meant to them, as they do **** with Marth.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I've never ever seen a single reason for why Meta Knight would lose his position as the top character in the game.

I've never heard "Diddy's Bananas overcentralize his matchups more than Meta Knight does with his." I've never heard "Snake's tilts are effective enough to make his matchups better than Meta Knight." I've never heard "Snake's aerials give him an edge on more CPs than Meta Knight."

All I hear is "Meta Knight's metagame is starting to peak out" as if that's supposed to mean something, despite the high level Meta Knights still performing as well as before, and improving. People make it seem as if any of the other characters (like Marth lol) have even close to the amount of dominance, matchups, or tools needed to even come close to Meta Knight's level, much less overthrow him.

Call me back on this when Diddy becomes the most dominant character on nearly every legal and barely legal stage in the game.

Storm_Fox

Smash Apprentice
I can't see that happening. Just because you have an advantage over a top tier character doesnt mean you deserve to move up. If this was the case Captain Falcon would dominate...

Top Bottom