• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PPMD's Falco Discussion Thread

Jake13

Smash Lord
Not only is it reasonable

Its the american thing to do

Srs edit: PP I saw you throwing in more pivots at KoC than before. Whether they're intentional or not you gotta thank TX uptilt guy :D

:phone:

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Concealing your tools is an important part of becoming and staying a top level player. Even when you are good at it, you still need to continue developing new ones as your competition dissects your current ones. Withholding information is perfectly acceptable when you are attempting to take a place as a top player.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol

anyway back to mango and shields

when i play vs mango he can't stop my shield :p

cuz in my head i'm like "ok he's gonna pressure me and not grab" so i hold my shield, and light shield so that i don't get poked. then i wavedash back.

captain vs ic's btw. if he was falco or fox i'm sure he could penetrate, but i don't think he likes those matchups and would rather go falcon so he can move freely.

then after the tournament he said i play 'gay' cuz 'all you do is wavedash back'

LOL

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
witholding information because you don't want us to improve is an ******* move.

The **** is your problem?
Wait. Do you think I'm seriously the only top or high level player that withholds information from the masses? You stupid irrational woman >_>

I contribute buttloads of useful info and am way more generous with my knowledge bank than 98% of the top and high level players and you have the audacity to accuse me of short-changing you? None of you have even applied the stuff I've already told. Why do you think you need more?

Like, seriously. Think. I know you are capable of it.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Oof
Useless pot fillers

That's kinda harsh to all the other pot fillers if you use it derogatorily KK :( pick something else to insult him with!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
KK, 98% isn't right.. Some of us just can't give information because of the way we play the game. The understanding of the game is completely different with every player.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
70% then?

I don't agree with your analysis anyway - I think if I have things to contribute and you don't and I contribute them then I feel I am being more generous than you but that's partially out of my ability to do so. It doesn't necessarily speak negatively of you either but if two people approach a charity and one person puts in nothing because he can't (no money, literally) and the other puts in $20 then I figure the latter was more generous.

But that's hypothetical bullcrap and gets into morality and how much one needs to do to be "generous" and that's even more personal than the super secret stuff I'm apparently doing everyone a huge disservice by withholding. Even though it's largely Sheik related and last I checked I'm in the Falco boards >_>

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Just throwing it out there that I'd be interested in those specifics of Mango's decision making, and how you figured out what he was doing.

Wenbo is talking about your set vs Axe where you DI'd like a noob away from the platforms only to get upsmashed.
are you good after umbreon's analysis?

and I thought I'd get upsmashed anyway? <.<

gogogo

oh yeah, he has great SDI as well. I was talking to him about that stuff at BH2
okay this one is funny and partly related to my biiiiig post, but outside factors aside, I watched impulse videos, broke everything down like I used to do when I wanted to beat m2k really badly, and printed out some notes because I'm going to be on a plane/layovers for 24356 hours so why not. then, I would read the notes and solve the situations and determine where mixups lied and what general rules I could give myself(ex: WD when Mango FHs) and give myself ways to remember the rules like playing a specific impulse scenario in my head or attaching frustration to the scenario to help me remember it.

anyway once I have all of the basic notes, I'm usually worked into a frustrated but hyped up mood because I wanted to beat mango for always playing gayer than me but everyone said he was aggressive and it drove me up the wall so I focused on how cocky he was and how I wanted to shut him up and it successfully kept me motivated.

I left for the tourney playing extremely below my potential from nc, arrived and played very solid melee. preparation, as I'll come to start harping on eventually if I haven't already, is what wins tourneys, not what you do in the actual room day of. an odd philosophy but one that I can't help but preach after my experiences(will explain fully possibly tomorrow).
10quotesplease
waiting for epic influx of knowledge to overwhelm my noob brain
yeah it's on the way be easy =)

I'm not a tier 1 player yet =/

TBH I think you guys are picking on the upstart. I see how it is.

That said, it's kind of neat anyway 'cuz I notice a lot of bad decisions on my part when people do these. So it's useful to me. I think I could handle Mango's stuff better but it's hard 'cuz he's really hard to gimmick and his reaction time negates a lot of tricks I use vs various people. I could talk further about how our playstyles and skill-sets seem to interact when I watch us play but nah.

AFAIK if I want to improve my chances against him I can't drop anything when I get the ball rolling 'cuz I really think Sheik's best trait as a character is having the easiest, high quality combos that lead to death if she's good at not dropping the first whatever percent in regrabs - this means improving punishment is of utmost importance. Her next best trait is defense, so I probably need to improve that. From what I can tell from watching me vs Mango, I think I have a lot of bad habits he doesn't have and I felt strained at some points fighting him at TBH2 and even Rule 6 because I had to devote energy into not doing bad knee-jerk responses to things. So I have to control my impulse defenses more and break some bad habits so I don't have to focus on not doing them...

Mango's hard =/

And I think there's some other stuff but that stays off SWF because the noobs are vultures lately.
if you would to discuss mr. fruit with me then lemme know on here or at rom.

maintaining momentum and breaking his are of course the best things to do vs mango not only because he is a WC jigglypuff that plays falco but also because he is falco.

Not only is it reasonable

Its the american thing to do

Srs edit: PP I saw you throwing in more pivots at KoC than before. Whether they're intentional or not you gotta thank TX uptilt guy :D

sorta both I suppose =p

Concealing your tools is an important part of becoming and staying a top level player. Even when you are good at it, you still need to continue developing new ones as your competition dissects your current ones. Withholding information is perfectly acceptable when you are attempting to take a place as a top player.
<3

Wait. Do you think I'm seriously the only top or high level player that withholds information from the masses? You stupid irrational woman >_>

I contribute buttloads of useful info and am way more generous with my knowledge bank than 98% of the top and high level players and you have the audacity to accuse me of short-changing you? None of you have even applied the stuff I've already told. Why do you think you need more?

LOL WOW intense

just curious, do you include me in that 98%? it's ok if you do I'm legitimately wondering is all.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion

pretty funny to even accuse KK of this. He gives out more freebies than any player on smashboards including PP. PP will give out generic advice meant to make you think more and solve things on your own. KK actually answers your questions at times. The vast majority of players don't even give useful advice or just post their opinions on what moves/combos are good without even explaining matchups in enough detail to know when to use them.

I personally almost never give out more than generic advice cause even at my level understanding how a player views and plays the matchup would be more than enough to guarantee that the player (me) is beaten in tourney. And I barely even go to tourneys; KK on the other hand has dozens of people who would love to be able to beat him in tourney.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
70% then?

I don't agree with your analysis anyway - I think if I have things to contribute and you don't and I contribute them then I feel I am being more generous than you but that's partially out of my ability to do so. It doesn't necessarily speak negatively of you either but if two people approach a charity and one person puts in nothing because he can't (no money, literally) and the other puts in $20 then I figure the latter was more generous.

But that's hypothetical bullcrap and gets into morality and how much one needs to do to be "generous" and that's even more personal than the super secret stuff I'm apparently doing everyone a huge disservice by withholding. Even though it's largely Sheik related and last I checked I'm in the Falco boards >_>
Well you always try which is appreciated, I'm sure. =) Sometimes I do wish I could help when I feel like caring but it seems like you guys have it covered pretty well at least from my understanding.

strawhats

Smash Master
are you good after umbreon's analysis?

okay this one is funny and partly related to my biiiiig post, but outside factors aside, I watched impulse videos, broke everything down like I used to do when I wanted to beat m2k really badly, and printed out some notes because I'm going to be on a plane/layovers for 24356 hours so why not. then, I would read the notes and solve the situations and determine where mixups lied and what general rules I could give myself(ex: WD when Mango FHs) and give myself ways to remember the rules like playing a specific impulse scenario in my head or attaching frustration to the scenario to help me remember it.

anyway once I have all of the basic notes, I'm usually worked into a frustrated but hyped up mood because I wanted to beat mango for always playing gayer than me but everyone said he was aggressive and it drove me up the wall so I focused on how cocky he was and how I wanted to shut him up and it successfully kept me motivated.

I left for the tourney playing extremely below my potential from nc, arrived and played very solid melee. preparation, as I'll come to start harping on eventually if I haven't already, is what wins tourneys, not what you do in the actual room day of. an odd philosophy but one that I can't help but preach after my experiences(will explain fully possibly tomorrow).

yeah it's on the way be easy =)

if you would to discuss mr. fruit with me then lemme know on here or at rom.

maintaining momentum and breaking his are of course the best things to do vs mango not only because he is a WC jigglypuff that plays falco but also because he is falco.

sorta both I suppose =p

<3

LOL WOW intense

just curious, do you include me in that 98%? it's ok if you do I'm legitimately wondering is all.
lol...seeing as you've played both mango's puff and his falco, I'm gonna assume there are certain subtleties that mango still harps on (fundamentally transitioning from a floaty main to a spacies main I'd imagine he's still held unto some spacing tricks and what not) I think you've explained it before but, what do you feel is the most noticeable similarity when approaching mango's puff vs mango's falco. Has it changed as mango has been playing more falco than puff, especially in singles, over the last (I wanna say 2 years or so).

unknown522

Some guy

Dayum. David goin in

Mahone

Smash Champion
I never really see/get the whole mango's falco is his puff thing...

im not saying that its wrong since even mango seems to think so, but beyond some super obvious spacing stuff i don't see it

can someone explain it with timestamps or give me more details?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
PP killed mango like 50 times by bairing mango's super predictable instant ledgehop lasers.
I say that to point out that a huge weaknss of mango's is his seeming lack of edge mixups, and pp totally bodied him for it.

Yo that Dtilt you did on yoshis PP, why? Wouldn't a dair have killed anyway?

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
yea there is a % range where he can get you with usmash regardless of di, but di'ing to the platform does make it harder. it's also kind of hard to react to for pika if your di makes it ambiguous whether you'll go on the plat or not

usually pika isn't fast enough to cover uthrow to plat with usmash at all because of lag, until a certain threshold is reached where he could *potentially* reach you in time but relies on guessing. past that % it becomes possible to react

hm...you probably already knew all of that already <_<

also wenbo probably suggested it because im bad and can't cover his di to platforms (when i should be able to at least)

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
yo sung

you're pretty good
Thanks! After running KoC, I can finally practice a ton again. I don't think I've ever watched you play though...then again I don't really watch much, cept for Dr PP and Mango. I hardly post here but I appreciate everyone commenting and helping people out, keep up the good work.

falco is powerful / fun

sung host another koc in 2013
Team OXY is gunna do serious work every year for sure it'll only get better

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
also wenbo probably suggested it because im bad and can't cover his di to platforms (when i should be able to at least)
Uhh, no, it's because if you land on a platform they have to techchase you

I don't see how this is hard to understand

If you land on a platform, it's a techchase
If you don't, you get upthrow upsmashed as a true combo

Techchase vs true combo, which one would you rather get hit by

Iono about you but I'd rather make them work one extra step ...
Applies to way more than just upthrow upsmashes too ....

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
well yea, considering i said the same thing in my post...

never mind my lame attempt at making a joke about me never techchasing to platforms .-.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
lol...seeing as you've played both mango's puff and his falco, I'm gonna assume there are certain subtleties that mango still harps on (fundamentally transitioning from a floaty main to a spacies main I'd imagine he's still held unto some spacing tricks and what not) I think you've explained it before but, what do you feel is the most noticeable similarity when approaching mango's puff vs mango's falco. Has it changed as mango has been playing more falco than puff, especially in singles, over the last (I wanna say 2 years or so).
They both don't fast fall LOL I dunno how to explain it they just weave all of the time.

Mango's Falco arguably got more Pufflike as he learned what a FH was so that's probably a funny change.

I never really see/get the whole mango's falco is his puff thing...

im not saying that its wrong since even mango seems to think so, but beyond some super obvious spacing stuff i don't see it

can someone explain it with timestamps or give me more details?
Watch when he gets on a shield during pressure or is on a platform and jumps off or FHs and guess where he's trying to end up/what he's trying to do.

he rarely FFs and weaves a lot.

PP killed mango like 50 times by bairing mango's super predictable instant ledgehop lasers.
I say that to point out that a huge weaknss of mango's is his seeming lack of edge mixups, and pp totally bodied him for it.

Yo that Dtilt you did on yoshis PP, why? Wouldn't a dair have killed anyway?
and then he adapted in GFs set 2 because he realized that and lost anyway.

yes but sometimes my hands don't like me and sometimes I just like killing with a longer combo LOL. killing with dtilt is strangely satisfying.

Uhh, no, it's because if you land on a platform they have to techchase you

I don't see how this is hard to understand

If you land on a platform, it's a techchase
If you don't, you get upthrow upsmashed as a true combo

Techchase vs true combo, which one would you rather get hit by

Iono about you but I'd rather make them work one extra step ...
Applies to way more than just upthrow upsmashes too ....
oh I see what you wanted me to do now

did I really not DI to the platform LMAO I'm a scrub.

well thanks dude =)

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
if you're truly a top level player you should be able to share your knowledge with us lower level players and still compete at a top level anyways.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
That statement makes no sense. At no point are you even part of the equation as a low level player. It is only about that knowledge suddenly being available to other top level players, and him having one less advantage. Regardless of what you want, this is still a competition. Football teams don't openly distribute their playbooks. Boxing coaches don't film and give the opponent a tl:dr on what they are training their boxers to be ready for before a fight.

strawhats

Smash Master
That statement makes no sense. At no point are you even part of the equation as a low level player. It is only about that knowledge suddenly being available to other top level players, and him having one less advantage. Regardless of what you want, this is still a competition. Football teams don't openly distribute their playbooks. Boxing coaches don't film and give the opponent a tl:dr on what they are training their boxers to be ready for before a fight.
Quoted for Emphasis...KK is a nice dude, don't get it twisted.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's dumb.
Then you can always ask the right questions and maybe we can give a good answer for that. It's definitely not up to anyone to give everything on a silver platter which isn't possible anyway because everyone plays totally differently. You have to work on yourself.

Top Bottom