• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Pound* 4:: VGBootCamp Debut! Two days. Plank's sanity remaining: 50%

What type of stage set should Pound4 run

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Largest Melee tourneys of all-time

1. Pound 4
2. Genesis
3. EVO World
4. FC-Diamond
5. Pound 3
Unless I'm forgetting a big event, it actually is :
1. Pound 4
2. Genesis
3. EVO World
4. FC-Diamond
5. ESA2
6. Pound 3

And no one was able to attend all six events =(

I'm disappointed Skler and Makenshi didn't register, I really wanted to play against them.
Sorry =/
Makenshi was able to come, but I wasn't, and he didn't want to be alone. We'd have loved to be there =(

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Happy New Years Everyone!

***Pound 4 Pools Theory****

So, I've been trying to figure out how pools/brackets are going to work for melee. Given the current number of entrants, 323, this is not going to turn out perfectly (no tournament does).

I'm assuming (bad idea to assume) that there are going to be three rounds of pools going into a 32 man bracket.

***OPTION 1*** - Well seeded 1st, 2nd Round of pools, Poorly Seeded 3rd Round

So, given 323 entrants, Plank earlier talked about pools of 6, with top 3 advancing.

324 / 6 = 54

Round 1: 54 pools of 6, (Technically 53 pools of 6, and one pool of 5)

Top 3 Advance: 54 pools x 3 advancing = 162 entrants remain

162 / 6 =27

Round 2 : 27 pools of 6

Top 3 Advance = 27 pools x 3 advancing= 81 entrants remain

Now, no matter how you cut the pools down, whether it be 1/3 remain, 1/2, the numbers are not going to give perfect seeding, OR perfect pools to reach that 32 man bracket.

So, an idea I was messing around with was 16 pools of 5 (Technically 15 pools of 5, one of 6) in which top 2 advance, thus creating a 32-man bracket.

***PROBLEMS*** - Seeding from previous pools. You have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seeds, so pools of five will be IMBALANCED. AKA one pool with 2 top seeds, and another with only 1 top seed.

Round 3: 16 pools of 5, Top 2 advance

16 pools x 2 advancing = 32 entrants remain, which is perfect for a bracket

*** Option 2**** TERRIBLE First Pool, Smooth Sailing Afterwords

Round 1 : 64 Pools of 5 (Technically 61 Pools of 5, 3 of 6), Top 2 advance

64 pools x 2 advancing = 128 entrants

Such a large cut from first pools means A) seeding into first pools would have to be stellar and B) SEEDING WILL NOT BE PERFECT. Upsets WOULD happen in the very beginning of the tournament, leaving many unsatisfied. It is not possible to seed 323 people well enough to have 64 perfect pools of 5/6 to have the two BEST players advance.

From there Round 2 and 3 would be easy, Pools of 4 or 8 where 1/2 the entrants are eliminated into a 32 man bracket.

This is all me just messing around with numbers (Math Major), trying to help figure out the best way to create a set of pools that will be the most fair/properly seeded to make this tournament the best.

Personally, I prefer option 1, due to the top 3 seeds coming from pool one will be so close in skill level, that it will almost be a negligible difference between seeding. The only precaution is to ensure that some of the best *expected* number one seeds, such as Mango, Armada, and M2K do not end up in the same third round pool.

------This is all based off using 3 rounds of pools and a 32 man bracket, other options include changing this assumption by either changing the number of rounds of pools, or size of the bracket------

Jon if you actually read through this BS, I can try and help, if you want my help ^_^.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Pool suggestions:

Round 1: 323 people, 64 pools, 5 per pool (6 in 3), 2 adv, 128 left
Round 2: 128 people, 32 pools, 4 per pool, 2 adv, 64 left
Round 3: 64 people, 16 pools, 4 per pool, 2 adv, 32 left
32-man bracket

Round 1: 323 people, 64 pools, 5 per pool (6 in 3), 3 adv, 192 left
Round 2: 192 people, 32 pools, 6 per pool, 3 adv, 96 left
Round 3: 96 people, 16 pools, 6 per pool, 3 adv, 48 left
48-man bracket

edit: 64 left, not 69

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
d1 is on the list twice.

I hope it isnt a 32 man bracket 48 man at the least. TOO many big names wouldnt make it out of pools otherwise. Preferably a 64man bracket.

I hope brawl is a 48 man bracket too.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
Pool suggestions:

Round 1: 323 people, 64 pools, 5 per pool (6 in 3), 2 adv, 128 left
Round 2: 128 people, 32 pools, 4 per pool, 2 adv, 69 left
Round 3: 64 people, 16 pools, 4 per pool, 2 adv, 32 left
32-man bracket

Round 1: 323 people, 64 pools, 5 per pool (6 in 3), 3 adv, 192 left
Round 2: 192 people, 32 pools, 6 per pool, 3 adv, 96 left
Round 3: 96 people, 16 pools, 6 per pool, 3 adv, 48 left
48-man bracket
Yeah that 48-man bracket IMO is the best option, top 2 advance out of 323 people = nightmare.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Wtf Co18 said he wasn't coming.
kelvintoogood (9:50:04 PM): who from south is going?
Ba11angel (9:50:06 PM): dam i can randomly go again tryna find a teammate
Ba11angel (9:50:09 PM): uh
kelvintoogood (9:50:10 PM): dphat
Ba11angel (9:50:11 PM): not much
kelvintoogood (9:50:12 PM): needs partner
Ba11angel (9:50:15 PM): me seibrik,lee martin
Ba11angel (9:50:16 PM): gdx
Ba11angel (9:50:18 PM): dphat really/
Ba11angel (9:50:21 PM): o
Ba11angel (9:50:21 PM): thx

strawhats

Smash Master
****KKK mathos tried to get on at 1206 **** the police! let him in pleaseee! it's mathos! he really meant to he's not trying to take advantage. He's busy he has a cpa exam and thing to work on in his schedule but he would be down it was a matter of minutes......:(:(:(:(:(
Tell mathos he should PM plank about his situation last night. Im sure Plank will understand :)

But seriously guys 323 will not end up being the Final number at least 15 + people/stragglers did not register. So call it 340 or something.

Plank said that he worked something out with them and that they would also be added to the list later.

like Chaddd, Anther, Azen, and Chillin most likely (since they said thery would go if Chu went).

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i know how to do pools.

ill never have a pool with less than 50% of the entrants making it out, just fyi.

i think singles pools will be smaller than teams pools due to a larger # of entrants and seeding is easier because i have all entrants worked out now whereas teams i wont be able to seed til tourney date

mib004

Smash Ace
i know how to do pools.

ill never have a pool with less than 50% of the entrants making it out, just fyi.

i think singles pools will be smaller than teams pools due to a larger # of entrants and seeding is easier because i have all entrants worked out now whereas teams i wont be able to seed til tourney date
qouick question.. if somebody registered for brawl singles... is it possible that they can still register for doubles also/

strawhats

Smash Master
wonder how many people for melee have entered in total...those who have made a deal with Plank plus those who tried to reister but had problems and pm'd plank.

340/350 anyone ridiculous

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
i know how to do pools.

yesss ily.

when will pools be posted anyway. Just curious

edit: nvm saw the title x.x

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
For some reason, I can't put my finger on it... but I *REALLY* like this Kage guy's mentality. Trufax.

Also, im hungover after a whole bottle of vodka. Happy new year kids.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Alright so I registered my boy Ether on the off chance he can make it because I really want him to go to this.

I'm giving him a few days [maybe til the 5th?] to give me a final notice XD

If it turns out he can't, then I will be selling the registration.

Is all of that okay, Plank?

Laijin

Smash Hero
Reputation is understandable. But as for skills its pretty hard to judge from region to region since there are some players who are probably really good, but have never been to/many an OOS tournament.
So im saying with that, you might get some dudes who are really really good whomever everyone from their state knows about but nobody else does. I'm just wondering how its normally done(from previous pounds and genesis) and if it works out pretty well.

rhan

Smash Hero
Last time I checked the players it was 291 and that was about 9 pm last night.

I wake up this morning and check it...

322???

Such a good way to kick off the new year. :)

Renth

Smash Hero
anyone who gets a spectator pass is gonnna get a red X drawn across their face in perm. marker and they get last priority in friendlies all tourney
That's completely understandable haha. I have 2 frienda and my brother that want to come to pound because they don't know anything about the smash community or why I still play this game after X amount of years. So you'll get an extra atleast $20-$30 depending if they can make it just because they want to come chill.

*it's still cool if i give you the money for these in person right*

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
Its seeded by skill. But plank if you want me to help make seeding brawl easier I can give you all the good players from NY/NJ that registered

strawhats

Smash Master
F U whoever it was that switched sides last minute...I'm just joking but it won't matter since 323 wouldn't have been the final amount of registered people anyway...I think Plank has to sort through his pm, inbox and see who's registration did not clear...so you firgure thats like another 20+ melee people and a few Brawl people who have made a deal with Plank (magically).

strawhats

Smash Master
oh ok...but like I said it won't matter melee will be even bigger before its all said and done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom