• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Planking is still a problem, how do we fix it?

salaboB

Smash Champion
If you need a reason to ban Meta Knight, all you have to do is say he has no disadvantage matchups. That in itself states that he is broken. Every other character has disadvantage matchups.

Edit: He has his own tier! (So does snake but he's not that far away from the A Tier)
Just curious, where does this thread say Ban MK?

I think you're confused about where you're posting.

etecoon

Smash Hero
it's called trolling, now that the "should meta knight be banned" thread is closed they need somewhere to do it -_-

T0MMY

Smash Master
1 startup
2-3 hitbox out
4-13 aerial cooldown

if you instantly fall off the edge out of your shield (which I described how to do in my post above), then you will have like 10 frames to hit or footstool MK
Good show of knowledge.

The problem is getting the timing down perfect in a match... sure it's possible, but so is Perfect Shielding every attack your opponent throws out and punishing them without fail... It's a lot easier to Plank.
But maybe with that AT it will give an advantage against Plankers.

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
I <3 M2k's post in this. If anyone wants to prove that planking is broken, all they have to do is convince M2k to try it in tournament. lol

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Remove the time limit, add a ledge grab rule of about 50 grabs.

Now there's no way to win by timeout, and someone who is stalling excessively in the match can be easily caught and disqualified by a judge.

Teh_Chef

Smash Rookie
Remove the time limit, add a ledge grab rule of about 50 grabs.

Now there's no way to win by timeout, and someone who is stalling excessively in the match can be easily caught and disqualified by a judge.
...if there's no timer, and two characters without projectiles to force an approach are playing, what if neither player decides to approach, ever?
Removing the timer does not work.

ADHD

Smash Hero
How bout everyone not be douchebags and play with honor! No, who am I kidding lol.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
solution to planking (and yes, there needs to be a judge)

no character can stay on or near an edge for more than 10 secs if the opponent is at least on the other half of the map unless the planking character is currently or will be in danger of being hit when he gets up(something like norfair lava pillar or halberd laser cannon)

yes, i know that this probably has a lot of flaws with it, but something to experiment with since everything else is failing

etecoon

Smash Hero
too hard to determine exactly 10 seconds unless you mandate that all games be recorded and do video review(probably not practical compared to a ledge grab limit which is far easier even if somewhat less effective). to me it sounds like it'd either have to be a complete judgement call or a ledge grab rule, a partial judgement call like "X seconds" sounds like it makes things more complex than they should be

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
too hard to determine exactly 10 seconds unless you mandate that all games be recorded and do video review(probably not practical compared to a ledge grab limit which is far easier even if somewhat less effective). to me it sounds like it'd either have to be a complete judgement call or a ledge grab rule, a partial judgement call like "X seconds" sounds like it makes things more complex than they should be
see, thats what i meant by a few problems, and most wiis have infinite replay now a days so recording shouldn't be that hard in all honesty, and obviously players can just look at it to count 10 seconds, but the ledge grab rule doesn't help at all, the reason it works in japan is because an average japanese match is 10 minutes long, but seriosuly, partial judgement might be the best choice because there is no in game limiting or timing that can easily be used to determine planking, and full judgement can be biased depending on the judge and his views on what is planking

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
hey, i just noticed something interesting about the results/ statistics screen after match, there is something called longest droguht time, which i think means the longest time where neither person hit each other, maybe that could be used in unison with a lower edge grab rule to be used as a way to determine planking?

TKD

Smash Lord
An actual solution to planking works by applying two rules:

- Set a ledge grab limit. If one player grabs the ledge more than 50~70 times (TO sets the number) in a match where the time runs out, the other player is regarded as the winner of the match. This should vary because the timer is set from 7-10 min depending on region. With an 8 minute timer it should be 50~60 ledge grabs, I think.

- Make a Meta Knight specific rule that allows him to grab the ledge half as many times, at most (the rule may exclude dittos, since Meta Knight may actually need the ledge in those).

These rules only apply if the time runs out. If a player can't do anything about an opponent that stalls on the ledge (for whatever reason), he shouldn't...except maybe pressure them into grabbing the ledge more often, for the rule to work...so they win the match or make the other player actually fight.

There's another more subjective rule I heard of called the "judges" rule. It goes something like this: Players not playing the match called "judges" may warn a planking player by infraction. 2nd infraction gives a planking player the loss of a match. The bad side of this is that you need more 3rd party participation in matches, you have to assume that your judges and spectators are truthful, and that there's no chance to take advantage of the rules to actually plank, ever...unless you have no spectators, that is.

Underload

Lazy
Take off the time limit...? That way, if people plank, it really won't do anything except annoy you (but you're still winning unless you ragequit), or will warrant a DQ by the TO for excessive stalling (you're still winning).

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
lol easy win for you now m2k. Pound 4 has planking legal.
LOL yea that way he can win instead of get 2nd when he almost won the last tourney thus proving a broken tactic!!!~!

meep you cant be so anti-planking just because atomsk beat u with it. if all of us let our personal bias be so prominent we would all do nothing but whine about IC infinites since thats what you beat us with all day :chuckle:

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
LOL yea that way he can win instead of get 2nd when he almost won the last tourney thus proving a broken tactic!!!~!

meep you cant be so anti-planking just because atomsk beat u with it. if all of us let our personal bias be so prominent we would all do nothing but whine about IC infinites since thats what you beat us with all day :chuckle:
lol at this

PortCity

Smash Ace
My suggestion. If a character has an effective anti-planking method. Ala, Snake (grenades, nakita, C4), Diddy (Peanuts & Bananas), Olimar (Pikmin) then have no rule. Let them fight out the match normally. If a character has NO effective way of stopping planking strategies, enforce a rule that if the player on the stage walks back and gives the planking character 1/4 of the stage then the planking character MUST return its entire body over the stage ASAP. The player on the stage would give him a 1/4 of the stage to safely land and as SOON as his entire body is over the stage or they touch the ground either by roll, or jump or whatever the match will resume. To visualize, image in Battlefield. If Ganon knocks Metaknight off, and the MK successfully grabs the ledge. The Ganon could try to attack, this would give MK the liberty of planking. Since in this instance, MK is just doing what it takes to survive. To me planking is SUPPOSED to be a way of safely getting back on the stage, not a tactic/strategy of fighting. Once the Ganon gives up, according to the rule, he would walk behind the platform nearest to the ledge and allow MK to get back on to resume the fight. If the MK decided to stay on the ledge and plank, for WHATEVER reason, IMMEDIATELY stop the match, save the replay and count that match as a win for Ganon. I think that is a fair way to stop planking. It prevents planking for the sake of stalling a match and running out the timer. This rule would still allow ledge games. If a person doesn't want to let them back on, he or she doesn't have to. This rule would also prevent a bunch of ledge counting madness. If a player announces that he is letting him back on the stage, and the other player refuses to come back up, the only explanation I can see is he is stalling. It forces characters to expose its entire body over the stage. I think this is the main problem with planking, the invincibility frames added with the fact that they are under the stage where most characters can't successfully attack. There is a potential problem with this rule. It says nothing about moving your body over the stage and then coming back to the ledge. Even if you force them to touch the ground people are free to just run back to the ledge and regrab, before the other player even gets there. This could be stopped with an additional rule saying if a player allows you to make it back on safely you cannot regrab the ledge immediately after that unless you are edge hogging or have been hit. This still allow tactics of running off the ledge and coming back on with bair. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
If the MK decided to stay on the ledge and plank, for WHATEVER reason, IMMEDIATELY stop the match, save the replay and count that match as a win for Ganon.
The problem with this is that the match might already be past the replay time limit. People may argue that the infinite replay hack should be used, but not everyone will have that.

LewsTherin

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this has been mentioned by someone, but what if a match timing out with a tie in stock would force a redo with different characters instead :o

Chuz

Smash Cadet
Nah, that wouldn't work Lews.

I'm thinking what if match timers were lowered to 5-6 minutes and if you ledge grabbed 25 or more times then you are the loser, however, if both players held on 25 times or more then it goes back to regular rules which is lowest stock, and then highest % damage... this way you can counter people that plank by just out camping them till the timer runs out. And because they were planking - which should mean they held on the ledge for more than 25 times - they'll lose. All you really have to do is survive till the time ends. Also, if they stop planking then you can continue your match the way it should have been in the first place... so it all works out lol

Chuz

Smash Cadet
Not to mention it wouldn't be fair tbh. What if the other player that wasn't planking was Snake and he only used and was good with Snake? You're more or so giving the guy planking an advantage. He'll start by planking with his weakest character than go his strongest the next match as were the other guy can't use his main again.

4nace

Smash Ace
If you care so much about winning then put the time into and learn Metaknight and just play him against someone who planks.

Otherwise, you'll always be complaining about a character in the most character-oriented fighting game to date.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Holy crap at reading .AC.'s posts.

You are so selective with your information and arguments, you should be a conservative talk show host.

Ruse

Fox
from theONEjanitor's ruleset said:
IF YOU "PLANK" i.e Ledge Stall, you MUST immediately get off the ledge and plant your feet onto the stage (I.E within one or two seconds) if your opponent has clearly moved to the other edge of the stage and has stopped engaging you. IF you do not, you will be DQ'd for stalling the match.
I know this thread is sort of dead and whatnot, but, yeah.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
That rule allows you to wait till your opponent gets to the other side of the stage, then you get on the stage, and then you wait till he gets near and you can get back on the ledge again. It's a rule that, in effect, doesn't do anything.

Ruse

Fox
True.

I've never heard of Planking happening at a major tournament (although, I'm not actively looking for an instance or anything), so I'd have to agree with earlier points that it's not a problem. But if it is actually bothering people/TOs/etc., why not just lower the ledge-count rule to like 30-40?

Top Bottom