• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Planking is still a problem, how do we fix it?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
A re-imagining of how a time out works might be the best solution to planking, actually. Interesting idea.

Sudden Death being played out is most definitely not the answer, but there are some interesting ideas that we could use instead of lower percentage wins.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
A re-imagining of how a time out works might be the best solution to planking, actually. Interesting idea.

Sudden Death being played out is most definitely not the answer, but there are some interesting ideas that we could use instead of lower percentage wins.
If not the in-game sudden death, then one with externally defined rules may be a solution.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ROFL echo, why do you think NC banning MK will have any sort of national impact? You guys are all god awful, nobody cares what you do.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
The more likely reaction is pointing and laughing. Even if you think MK deserves to be banned, planking is not an MK specific problem, if NC bans MK under that premise it's pretty much a joke ban.
cutter said:
I don't think good regions like SoCal, Atlantic North, and Midwest are going to be influenced by places like New Mexico and NC banning MK. If you honestly think it would start a precedent, you're crazy. Maybe people should just learn to get better against MK; like Ally, Candy, and lain did.
Good points; I concede defeat.

And call johns on not having any idea what "NC" is :laugh:

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Actually from what I have been told you kind of suck worse than us.
i'd like to see anyone from NC get up to 17th at apex, they wouldn't have and i rarely ever even play brawl.

you were good at like...the first c3 ever. then...nothing.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
i'd like to see anyone from NC get up to 17th at apex, they wouldn't have and i rarely ever even play brawl.

you were good at like...the first c3 ever. then...nothing.
lol, 17th at apex with mk is not good, regardless of whether or not you play anymore. As long as you didn't plank me, I would beat you unquestionably. Besides, this has nothing to do with the issue and there was no reason for you to come in and insult anyone.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
lol, 17th at apex with mk is not good, regardless of whether or not you play anymore. As long as you didn't plank me, I would beat you unquestionably. Besides, this has nothing to do with the issue and there was no reason for you to come in and insult anyone.
Yeah, considering dojo placed 13th, me+korn placed 17th, judge +other notable mks placed 25th or 33rd, 17th is just AWWWWWWWFUL.

It does have to do with the issue. The entire issue is that you are a ****ing BABY. And if the rest of NC wants to ban MK, they are ****ing babies too. What I don't get is.... you guys don't even have any noteworthy metaknights, so why all the whining?

daisho

Smash Lord
Don't put a timer... if someone is stalling excessively it will be obvious and they can be thrown out of the tournament.

If you really want to get rid of it you can't be afraid to completely disqualify someone for planking.

IDC much since i rarely go to tourneys but I think that would be a good solution.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Whatever plank, your good and we should all listen to you.

Back to the point....

I suck and have yet to find a way to deal with planking, so as a TO, I am looking for a rule to deal with it.

The reimagining of sudden death is an interesting idea.

As for taking off the time limit, although it may stop planking to win matches by running out the timer, a patient player will just do it anyway until the other person cracks.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
The best way to end planking and time stalling is: To get rid of the time counter and jsut play stocks. First to run out of stocks loses.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
idk of a good solution but am in agreement that a solution is vital....so i will throw out ideas, im kind of thinking out loud

in a competitive soccer match if a player on the red team is down injured when the blue team has possession of the ball, then the blue team kicks the ball out of bounds so play will stop and the player from the red team can be helped. according to the rules, because the blue team kicked the ball out then the red team gets possession. However, it is an understanding amongst the players, that because the blue team had possession and kicked the ball out on purpose, the ball should return to the blue team. So the red team trows the ball directly to the other team.

If you were not confused by all of the blue and red team stuff then you can see an example of an understanding in a competitive sport. This understanding could be taken advantage of by either team but it isnt because of good will.

planking is not fun. everyone is in agreement of that. i think there just needs to be an understanding. sp has that understanding.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
shiek could stay invincible on the edge in melee if im not mistaken, how did the melee community enforce it? what was to stop someone from shooting 1 needle and then going to the ledge for 7 min?

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
shiek could stay invincible on the edge in melee if im not mistaken, how did the melee community enforce it? what was to stop someone from shooting 1 needle and then going to the ledge for 7 min?
In theory, nothing. However the ledge infinite with shiek took really strict teaming. Still I doubt thats the reason.

The problem, I believe is that at the start of brawl, several players did not like it so they played gay to prove a point and now it is the accepted standard of play. It is unfortunate that it has turned out this way but it seems that at this point it may be irreversible.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Bill, it wasn't an issue in Melee because it didn't work. To stop a Sheik from planking, all you had to do was wait by the edge, being wary of surprise fairs, and as soon as they started upB, you edgehog. They're forced to either die or return to the stage, where Sheik's horrible special fall lag allowed you to punish her for it.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Bill, it wasn't an issue in Melee because it didn't work. To stop a Sheik from planking, all you had to do was wait by the edge, being wary of surprise fairs, and as soon as they started upB, you edgehog. They're forced to either die or return to the stage, where Sheik's horrible special fall lag allowed you to punish her for it.
I'm not sure thats entirely true. The explosion would hit you if sheik had the correct timing. I think the sheik would have to be frame perfect but if the players was able to be, I am not sure simply grabbing the edge would be an option.

salaboB

Smash Champion
For one, no known cases of planking have affected any tournaments to a notable degree.

For two, the ledge grab rule IS effective, but seldom even used. We were all joking about it at APEX. No one (sans Plank himself) actually ran the time out.

The fact of the matter is no one is planking. We see a couple dumb vids online and we go crazy about.
Just shows that people aren't really playing to win, given how effective planking is known to be and relatively ineffective the rules to stop it are.

They could certainly be abusing it to near the ledge grab count if they were really trying everything they had to take victory.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
But how exactly do u determine planking? Arbitrary rules are arbitrary. It just wouldnt work. Im all for banning planking, but how exactly would a rule be able to stop it?

salaboB

Smash Champion
But how exactly do u determine planking? Arbitrary rules are arbitrary. It just wouldnt work. Im all for banning planking, but how exactly would a rule be able to stop it?
Presumably you would implement rules that forced people to stay on-stage unless actively chasing offstage/trying to ledge hog an opponent.

They'd have to be detailed and somewhat arbitrary to still allow normal gameplay while preventing the situations that can be loopholed into planking.

bobson

Smash Lord
Yeah, we really need to put a stop to all of those people winning tournaments by doing nothing but planking.

Wait a second...

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Just shows that people aren't really playing to win, given how effective planking is known to be and relatively ineffective the rules to stop it are.

They could certainly be abusing it to near the ledge grab count if they were really trying everything they had to take victory.
Let's just live life in a hypothetical world why don't we? People ARE playing to win. Everytime I see you post something, I know it's going to portray your overwhelming stupidity.

I do have one very serious and relevant question though, are you religious? You've got to be.

T3h Albino

Smash Master
i came to this thread kuz i saw plank post in it. I knew it'd be funny lol
get over planking *shrug* it's there deal with it in the best means you can, and if that's losing then guess what?

salaboB

Smash Champion
Let's just live life in a hypothetical world why don't we? People ARE playing to win. Everytime I see you post something, I know it's going to portray your overwhelming stupidity.
Really? Then why isn't M2K playing as "gay" as he can to win? Why aren't people planking when it really counts?

It is effective, isn't it? If it wasn't, there wouldn't need to be rules in place to try to prevent people from doing it.

Every time you post disagreeing with me, I just know it's going to be filled with baseless accusations or complete misinterpretations of my point. The following is no exception.
I do have one very serious and relevant question though, are you religious? You've got to be.
Irrelevant.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
It is relevant because people who are religious believe things based on theory (as illegitimate as it may be) rather than on fact. When has planking ever won a big tournament? You are pro-ban for something that has never been proven broken.

Why?

Because you aren't good enough to beat it, so even though it's never effected the game at a top level against a good player, you pull for a ban, just like the rest of the pro-ban players. Very few of them are any good at all.

M2K is a very conservative, safe player. Hanging off the edge where one false button push will end your life is not particularly a -safe- tactic.

I would be all for banning planking or essentially ANYTHING if it's proven broken. Proof doesn't matter one bit to you though, since you're a religious nut. I can guarantee you the correlation of pro-ban players and being religious is very notable.

It was the same thing when Brawl came out, and I got into a lot of deep discussions about this with some of my friends and did some research to back my findings. The majority of Melee players who were atheist/agnostic etc when Brawl came out quickly realized Brawl was stupid. This was based on gameplay and evidence. However those who were religious in Melee fell in love with Brawl, stating ("the game just came out, i'm sure the metagame will advance and AT's will be found with time!!")

It's the same concept. Whether or not you have blind faith in Brawl being good and AT's existing, or whether or not you have blind faith that the game is going to degrade to Planking overrunning tournaments, it's still blind.

You just take whatever has happened and curve your blind faith into any argument you want to make without any real evidence or reasoning behind it. So don't tell me my question isn't relevant because it is very, very relevant.

It's very frustrating watching a slew of stupid people argue their point with no logical reasoning at all.

When Jesus proves himself to me, I'll believe in Christianity. When Planking overwhelmingly wins tournaments more than other tactics, I'll agree with banning Planking. It's simple intelligence, and I wish more people had it.

Top Bottom