• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Planking is still a problem, how do we fix it?

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
It seems lately that people have begun to forget about the issue of planking. It still happens and the large majority of the cast (everyone except maybe snake) cannot deal with it. The Japanese ledge stall rule does not work. Does anyone have any ideas as to what a TO can do to stop it?

The reason why I post this hear is because the issue of planking is about to get mk banned in NC and I am assuming that mk mains would prefer he not be banned anywhere.

cutter

Smash Champion
The problem with trying to ban or limit planking is that people will always find loopholes to continue to use it.

i.e. Plank using his "Air Planking/Air Camping" and then using some normal planking to finish off the clock.

You really can't stop planking unless you use arbritrary ruling from a judge.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Call for a TO to see if there is stalling. Planking in moderation (i.e. to get them to back off) is legal. However, stalling with it is, well, stalling, which is banned.

.AC.

Smash Lord
well sorry,but i cant see how you can ledge stall the game for 8 minutes without grabbing the ledge at least 60-80 times?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
You have to grab the ledge once every 6 seconds throughout the whole entire match to break the Japanese Ledge Grab Rule.

That should never, ever happen, unless you really suck at planking.

.AC.

Smash Lord
You have to grab the ledge once every 6 seconds throughout the whole entire match to break the Japanese Ledge Grab Rule.

That should never, ever happen, unless you really suck at planking.
unless someone found a way to bypass it or the person being "stalled" is not good enough to find a way around the other person´s non ledge camp attempt at stalling,the ledge grab limit should be working fine.if a person was ledge stalling for at least 4-5 minutes they would easily go over the edge grab limit.

Example:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms1lX6lCzqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0nc8l0XKEY

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
If time were shortened, wouldn't it make planking easier to do? You wouldn't have to stall as long to end the match in your favor.

I'm kind of curious as to if anyone has a good answer to this. I always thought that the ledge grab rule would be a good fix (though 70 ledge grabs is a little much. maybe 60 or 50?). But it won't be able to do much against 'air planking'.

We could go for something like a consecutive ledge grab rule... but that'd lead to a different series of repetitions -- 3 ledge grabs --> land --> 3 ledge grabs --> land, etc.

I don't know if this'd get MK banned quite yet, but it'd put him one step closer. It could just be a matter of time.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Air camping is not in the same realm of gayness as planking. With MK it's essential good zoning, and with others like Wario it's just a defensive style that aims to poke to avoid retaliation.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I played a guy at the last tournament I was cool and he only planked me for the last 4-6 mins of the match but the ledge count was still only 34. The rule does not work.

.AC.

Smash Lord
I played a guy at the last tournament I was cool and he only planked me for the last 4-6 mins of the match but the ledge count was still only 34. The rule does not work.
if he planked you for 4-6 mins thats a ledge grab every 7 seconds which gave you at least 5 seconds between each edge grab,that is more than enough to do something,besides you had 2 minutes to play him normally.This just means that you did not take advantage of the ample time he gave you to do something.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
if he planked you for 4-6 mins thats a ledge grab every 7 seconds which gave you at least 5 seconds between each edge grab,that is more than enough to do something,besides you had 2 minutes to play him normally.This just means that you did not take advantage of the ample time he gave you to do something.
To attack him I would have to go off stage vs. him. Play Olimar and tell me thats a good idea.

Besides just because I wasn't able to beat him within the 2 minutes he fought me does not mean that he was a more skilled player/should have won. The reason we play play 3 stock matches is because it is a more accurate way to determine skill than would be a one stock match. As it was the match was less than a one stock match.

.AC.

Smash Lord
To attack him I would have to go off stage vs. him. Play Olimar and tell me thats a good idea.

Besides just because I wasn't able to beat him within the 2 minutes he fought me does not mean that he was a more skilled player/should have won. The reason we play play 3 stock matches is because it is a more accurate way to determine skill than would be a one stock match. As it was the match was less than a one stock match.
if he gave you on average 5 seconds to do something between each ledge grab it means you could have done things such as ledge hogging or fsmash near the edge.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
if he gave you on average 5 seconds to do something between each ledge grab it means you could have done things such as ledge hogging or fsmash near the edge.
Not true if he stays near the edge any approach by me can be punished and if he goes low enough I cant forward smash but he can still get the ledge before I can.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
you cant stop planking,the edge grab rule only hinders it slightly

too many people in brawl play just for the money, i just play because i love the game

.AC.

Smash Lord
Not true if he stays near the edge any approach by me can be punished and if he goes low enough I cant forward smash but he can still get the ledge before I can.
5 seconds is enough to grab the ledge.

cutter

Smash Champion
If Metaknight wishes, he can use a few jumps to kill time and then easily regrab the edge, reducing the amount of total edge grabs during the match.

A better counter to planking would be Snake's grenades.

.AC.

Smash Lord
If Metaknight wishes, he can use a few jumps to kill time and then easily regrab the edge, reducing the amount of total edge grabs during the match.

A better counter to planking would be Snake's grenades.
If he jumps a few times you can grab the ledge,if he doesnt you can fsmash him and if he continously regrabs the ledge he will go over the edge grab limit.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Whatever it has become apparent that I shouldn't have posted here. You guys seem to know little about Olimar, because contrary to what you may think he can't do **** about planking. MK is about to get banned in NC which whether you would like to acknowledge it or not, contributes to the possibility of a ban nationally. I only posted here so that people could suggest possible solutions not so that I could have people come in and tell me to f-smash as if I hadn't already thought of that.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
Predict and dtilt? Shield near the edge to bait a response? I dunno much about Olimar's OOS options, but it might just mean that you'll need an alt to deal with MK. Ganon can't beat Sheik, period, but that means Ganon mains need a counterpick, not a ban on the chain.

cutter

Smash Champion
If he jumps a few times you can grab the ledge,if he doesnt you can fsmash him and if he continously regrabs the ledge he will go over the edge grab limit.
MK can wait for Olimar's invincibility frames to wear off and either force Olimar back onto the stage (which he'll probably do) letting MK regrab the ledge, or you stagespike Olimar with Shuttle Loop. OR MK can fly under the stage to grab the other ledge. MK will not be going over the 70 edge grab limit (or whatever it is now...) unless he just drops off the ledge repetitively like a moron.

MK is about to get banned in NC which whether you would like to acknowledge it or not, contributes to the possibility of a ban nationally.
Really? New Mexico did the same thing and it did next to nothing to influence the possibility of banning MK. Just because someone else does something does not necessarily mean it's the right thing to do.

.AC.

Smash Lord
MK can wait for Olimar's invincibility frames to wear off and either force Olimar back onto the stage (which he'll probably do) letting MK regrab the ledge, or you stagespike Olimar with Shuttle Loop. OR MK can fly under the stage to grab the other ledge. MK will not be going over the 70 edge grab limit (or whatever it is now...) unless he just drops off the ledge repetitively like a moron.

Really? New Mexico did the same thing and it did next to nothing to influence the possibility of banning MK. Just because someone else does something does not necessarily mean it's the right thing to do.
Actually you are supposed to grab the edge after he uses part of his jumps,if he just jumps near the edge you can fsmash him.If you grab the ledge and he gets near you can jump off while still having invincibility frames and hit him with an aerial,if he is to far just re-grab the ledge.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
cutter said:
Not at all, but it starts to set a precedent. If people see particular action in NC and New Mexico, they may start to wonder if they should follow suit (if they hadn't already been), the assumption being that people don't do things for no reason :p

Nic64

Smash Lord
Not at all, but it starts to set a precedent. If people see particular action in NC and New Mexico, they may start to wonder if they should follow suit (if they hadn't already been), the assumption being that people don't do things for no reason :p
The more likely reaction is pointing and laughing. Even if you think MK deserves to be banned, planking is not an MK specific problem, if NC bans MK under that premise it's pretty much a joke ban.

meta chaz

Smash Rookie
The more likely reaction is pointing and laughing. Even if you think MK deserves to be banned, planking is not an MK specific problem, if NC bans MK under that premise it's pretty much a joke ban.
ur rite, besides, people are gonna ledge camp no matter what characters get banned. Thats just how it is cause there will always be ppl who brawl like that.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Actually you are supposed to grab the edge after he uses part of his jumps,if he just jumps near the edge you can fsmash him.If you grab the ledge and he gets near you can jump off while still having invincibility frames and hit him with an aerial,if he is to far just re-grab the ledge.
Listen to what cutter said. There really isn't anything Olimar can do to punish planking. The only response Olimar could possibly make would be to either let the time run out and lose or put himself in a position where, if the mk is even remotely good, he will die. This is the case for several other characters too, not just Olimar.

Oh and f-smashing doesn't work because mk's side-b and up-b go through it and he can also just re-grab with standard jumps, in between f-smashes.

Planking is a serious problem and the solution is not "get better". Does anyone have any ideas on rules that could limit the possibility of planking?

.AC.

Smash Lord
Listen to what cutter said. There really isn't anything Olimar can do to punish planking. The only response Olimar could possibly make would be to either let the time run out and lose or put himself in a position where, if the mk is even remotely good, he will die. This is the case for several other characters too, not just Olimar.

Oh and f-smashing doesn't work because mk's side-b and up-b go through it and he can also just re-grab with standard jumps, in between f-smashes.

Planking is a serious problem and the solution is not "get better". Does anyone have any ideas on rules that could limit the possibility of planking?

Well if he uses side b or up b then you ledge hog before he does it if he doesnt you f-smash him,if he regrabs in between f-smashes the invinvibility frames will eventually wear off and then you can grab him or f-smash him.Its not that hard,there is no need for any additional rules,also as nic64 said if you ban mk just for planking then it would show lack of common sense as not only he can plank.Then you would have to ban the next best planking character and that will create a cycle where eventually a bunch of characters will be banned just because someone couldnt deal with limited planking.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Well if he uses side b or up b then you ledge hog before he does it if he doesnt you f-smash him,if he regrabs in between f-smashes the invinvibility frames will eventually wear off and then you can grab him or f-smash him.Its not that hard,there is no need for any additional rules,also as nic64 said if you ban mk just for planking then it would show lack of common sense as not only he can plank.Then you would have to ban the next best planking character and that will create a cycle where eventually a bunch of characters will be banned just because someone couldnt deal with limited planking.
Whatever I am not going to argue with you. Obviously you have not tested what you are suggesting because it doesn't work.

cutter

Smash Champion
SpongeBathBill said:
I don't think good regions like SoCal, Atlantic North, and Midwest are going to be influenced by places like New Mexico and NC banning MK. If you honestly think it would start a precedent, you're crazy. Maybe people should just learn to get better against MK; like Ally, Candy, and lain did.

Planking can be dealt with, but you just spewed a bunch of garbage that makes me wonder if you even go to tournaments.

If you want to limit planking, the best thing you can do is have a judge make an arbritrary ruling on what is and isn't planking. Normally, I don't like making arbritrary rulings like this because there is no fine line to what is and isn't planking, but I think common sense can help to figure out when someone is planking as opposed to grabbing the edge a couple of times to find an opening to engage the opponent.

An edgegrab limit does not work because having a distinct rule (such as no more than 70 edgegrabs per game) provides ways to easily create loopholes around it.

lain

Smash Master
For one, no known cases of planking have affected any tournaments to a notable degree.

For two, the ledge grab rule IS effective, but seldom even used. We were all joking about it at APEX. No one (sans Plank himself) actually ran the time out.

The fact of the matter is no one is planking. We see a couple dumb vids online and we go crazy about.

kingcobra9

Smash Ace
Olimar can deal with planking but verse a decent meta it is mere impossible to approach that close and utilize the moves and if he can the meta could just fly to the other side. What you are going to either get aLot better or find a suitable counterpick(snake...)which is what I did

But planking is impossible to prevent without a judge so we are going to figure out how to stop it or turn into losers who need make rules and judges to make things "fair"

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Lol.

NC isn't about to ban MK. There has been, to date, one major instance of planking in a tournament match and, surprise, the person doing it was facing NC-Echo.

Bill, I know planking is a problem. Olimar can't counter it, and most people here are choosing to ignore planking altogether, but don't say things like MK is about to be banned when you're really the only person calling for it.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
wouldn't baiting a shuttle loop/fair and nairing/dairing out of shield do anything? lol

BEHR

Smash Hero
Lol.

NC isn't about to ban MK. There has been, to date, one major instance of planking in a tournament match and, surprise, the person doing it was facing NC-Echo.

Bill, I know planking is a problem. Olimar can't counter it, and most people here are choosing to ignore planking altogether, but don't say things like MK is about to be banned when you're really the only person calling for it.
QFT

Besides Planking only happens to you Bill. ):

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
Lol.

I am not the only person calling for it. pp and karn are also for the ban and they are just as influential as me.

Just because it hasn't happened to you in tourney does not mean it is not an issue. It is something that should be addressed pro-actively not retro-actively.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Y'know, I've been thinking about this problem a while, and I've been wondering whether it wouldn't be best just to start going back to Sudden Death in the event of a timeout. True, this would still lead to planking when there is a stock lead, but at the very least, it would force less defensive play long enough for the first stock. Add to this the fact that, besides Plank himself, most people, who plank frequently, are not that good, and plank to compensate for a lack of ability to play offensively.

MK shouldn't be banned just because of planking. But I will agree that planking is still a tactic that should definitely be discouraged, given how unbalanced the risk/reward ratio is.

Top Bottom