• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Peach and other random Discussion (Social Thread)

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Are you saying the girls dont want it as bad?

If by "more competitive" you mean more popular then yes, men's tennis takes that cake.

MacD

Banned via Administration
wow, i totally missed that he said that

i hate it when people call men's sports more competitive than womens

like in general, sure men are more competitive than women. but to call top sports players uncompetitive is just hilarious

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I really dont see why any men's sport is more competitive then its female counterpart. Just because more people tune into them doesnt mean its not as competitive.

This applies especially to women's tennis, the most prolific women's sport out there.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Mens tennis is more competitive because men are much better. They hit faster, they are more accurate, their balls have more spin and they are lower over the net. If the word 'competitive' doesn't describe this, then i'm sorry for misusing the word.

VA

Smash Hero
Sveet is right. Women's tennis is pretty dull in the most part. Some match ups are interesting but they seem to choke more often too.

Serena is good because she provides entertaining tennis to watch but it's not her off course behaviour I find irksome. It's her outbursts on court that have really driven me to dislike her. I've seen her limping and pulling all kinds of bull**** out there and generally I don't like to see it from any player. JJ's incessant whining about little things put me off her.

MacD

Banned via Administration
Mens tennis is more competitive because men are much better. They hit faster, they are more accurate, their balls have more spin and they are lower over the net. If the word 'competitive' doesn't describe this, then i'm sorry for misusing the word.
com·pet·i·tive [kuhm-pet-i-tiv]
adjective
1. of, pertaining to, involving, or decided by competition (competitive sports; a competitive examination.)
2. well suited for competition; having a feature that makes for successful competition (a competitive price.)
3. having a strong desire to compete or to succeed.
what you are describing is men being better at tennis than women are

Sveet is right. Women's tennis is pretty dull in the most part. Some match ups are interesting but they seem to choke more often too.
i hope you aren't using this as a reason sveet is right. melee grand finals was dull to many, doesn't make it any less competitive than any of the other top few matches. and when was the last time you saw a top player of any sport not choke. **** happens, people mess up, that doesn't make them any less competitive.

hell, some high school/college players can be just as competitive as pro sports players

tl;dr being competitive =/=being skilled

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I already appologized for using the word wrong, no need to bring the hate train. I find men's tennis to be more interesting to watch for the same reason I find m2k vs mango more fun to watch than niko vs swift. They are both interesting, but the former is more so.

:phone:

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
I dont really see any hate, he just showed you why your definition of competitive is wrong.

Yes, men are stronger and therefore "better" at tennis (even though the game is split for that same reason). However, like Mccain said, that doesnt make the sport more competitive.

Also something being interesting is subjective, just sayin.

VA

Smash Hero
i hope you aren't using this as a reason sveet is right. melee grand finals was dull to many, doesn't make it any less competitive than any of the other top few matches. and when was the last time you saw a top player of any sport not choke. **** happens, people mess up, that doesn't make them any less competitive.

hell, some high school/college players can be just as competitive as pro sports players

tl;dr being competitive =/=being skilled
Why are you getting involved? Do you watch tennis?

The games are less interesting to me (and many others, perhaps even objectively so), which is what sveet meant by competitive.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Woman's tennis = slower play by far but better eye candy because of the skirts and the women.
Man's tennis = crazy creative and faster plays most of the time but nothing much to look at physically.. but in the Peach boards it seemed like it would be better eye candy here. The upsides of the woman's tennis become the upside of man's tennis, yes? lol.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium

The games are less interesting to me (and many others, perhaps even objectively so), which is what sveet meant by competitive.
Because sexism is stupid, and wrong?

And MacD already pointed it out, competitive =/= interesting. And you can't have anything be OBJECTIVELY interesting. It doesn't work.

Where's Kal when you need him?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I would say anything that is done better is more interesting than something that is attempting to do the same thing but is done less good

Rosedemon

Smash Champion

Worst. Argument. Ever.

The basis of Mccains post was simply to show Sveet (and you I guess) why his definition of competitive is wrong. In all honesty it had nothing to do with tennis, yet pertained EXCLUSIVELY to the argument at hand.

Woman's tennis = slower play by far but better eye candy because of the skirts and the women.
Man's tennis = crazy creative and faster plays most of the time but nothing much to look at physically.. but in the Peach boards it seemed like it would be better eye candy here. The upsides of the woman's tennis become the upside of man's tennis, yes? lol.
Stop acting like you dont find some of the men attractive.

Novak can get it ANY day.

I would say anything that is done better is more interesting than something that is attempting to do the same thing but is done less good
This is probably the same sentiment that made sure women's tennis didnt receive the same amount of prize money for years.

Women's tennis utilizes the same fundamentals, but has its own game that caters to the women's physique. To state that its being done "less good" then men's tennis is pretty rude.

Kage said it right, women's tennis is slower then men's, but is that a detriment? That my friends is subjective.

I like watching women's tennis more because of the fact that its slower, shorter, and their fashion statements are hilarious sometimes.

Niko45

Smash Master
To be honest Men's tennis is sometimes a little boring cause Men's serve is OP. They just run train on serve back and forth a lot of the time where as in Women's tennis it feels like every game is up for grabs.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
None of the rules are different in women's tennis as far as i know (besides number of sets played in certain matches). If the top 10 women played in the PTA, they would struggle to make top 50. I think thats proof that it is done "less good".

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Shall we compare Apex GFs to, say, mid-level Foxco vs. Falcon/Marth?

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
None of the rules are different in women's tennis as far as i know (besides number of sets played in certain matches). If the top 10 women played in the PTA, they would struggle to make top 50. I think thats proof that it is done "less good".
You should go watch the video of Kim Clijsters returning Rod****'s serve, she does a decent job. I'd also love to see Serena (now) vs someone in the ATPs top 100.

However, the games are separate for a reason. Men are physically superior to women, and expecting them to compete on the same level is dumb. That doesnt mean that the women's game is any less competitive then the men's game.

This is one of those awkward moments where I cant tell if the person is dumb or trollling. I so wish I was Emma Frost...

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Lol they censored rod****? Im in love with ana ivanovic...there be some serious eye candy for womens tennis.

And idgaf what no one says, serena is a ****ing woman. You see those thighs!?

:phone:

john!

Smash Hero
i agree that men being better at tennis doesn't make men's tennis "more competitive" than women's tennis.

being "competitive" simply means that the more skilled player will win a larger percentage of the time. in a perfectly competitive game, the more skilled player will win 100% of the time.

Women's tennis utilizes the same fundamentals, but has its own game that caters to the women's physique. To state that its being done "less good" then men's tennis is pretty rude.
however, i disagree with this. women's tennis IS being done less well than men's tennis, because a top rated man could defeat a top rated woman the vast majority of the time. men are simply better at the game, mostly due to physiological characteristics.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Why do people keep using the word "competitive" against me? I said a few times that it was not the correct word for what I was describing.

... *sigh* this is why i hate talking to people

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
however, i disagree with this. women's tennis IS being done less well than men's tennis, because a top rated man could defeat a top rated woman the vast majority of the time. men are simply better at the game, mostly due to physiological characteristics.
I need you to clarify what you mean by "being done less well" because it sounds like you're sexist or ignorant (or both).

Men are better at tennis for the sole fact that men are physically superior to women. This is why the game is split into to versions: men's tennis and women's tennis. Women's tennis cant be doing "less well" then men's tennis because they're not the same thing.

So like I said, either im lost or you're dumb, and since im me and you're you imma go with the latter.

john!

Smash Hero
I need you to clarify what you mean by "being done less well" because it sounds like you're sexist or ignorant (or both).

Men are better at tennis for the sole fact that men are physically superior to women. This is why the game is split into to versions: men's tennis and women's tennis. Women's tennis cant be doing "less well" then men's tennis because they're not the same thing.

So like I said, either im lost or you're dumb, and since im me and you're you imma go with the latter.
tennis is a competitive game. how well someone is playing can be directly determined by their performance at the game.

you are lost because apparently we have two different definitions of "well", and because i'm extremely far from being dumb.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Why are you lumping both games into simply tennis? The WTA and ATP exist for a reason.

You cant say that the women's game sucks simply because they dont hit as hard as the men, or as fast as the men.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
All I'm saying is if I wanted to watch two people trying to outstall each other I'd go home and watch my parents try to stave off divorce

john!

Smash Hero
Why are you lumping both games into simply tennis? The WTA and ATP exist for a reason.

You cant say that the women's game sucks simply because they dont hit as hard as the men, or as fast as the men.
is there any significant difference in the rulesets other than number of sets?

i never said the women's game sucks. they just do not play tennis at the same level that men do for physiological reasons.

you are looking for sexist bigotry and trying to invent it where there is none.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
All I'm saying is if I wanted to watch two people trying to outstall each other I'd go home and watch my parents try to stave off divorce
Must be a texas straight people thing.

Also, men are better than women at everything. Including blowjobs.

Top Bottom