• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CY

Smash Ace
umm why does TX still have a PR and why do people still care about this pointless list? rofl there are three good players in TX, and everyone else sucks. I haven't played in 2 years and I would beat 90% of the people in A and B tier. that's how far TX has fallen. people are like OHEMGEE I'm B tier now despite 80% of the good players not playing anymore!!

you guys should just do a panel and choose the top 5 or 10 players. anything after that doesn't matter and you're only kidding yourself into trying on this dead, non competitive game. you guys should invest your time into something else, instead of slaving over a pointless PR that is meaningless after the top 3. I could understand if the TX scene was some thriving, talent filled region but it's not anymore. Zac do it for the people of TX, get rid of this PR so they can move on with their life and realize playing this dead game to get into C tier doesn't matter.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
umm why does TX still have a PR and why do people still care about this pointless list? rofl there are three good players in TX, and everyone else sucks. I haven't played in 2 years and I would beat 90% of the people in A and B tier. that's how far TX has fallen. people are like OHEMGEE I'm B tier now despite 80% of the good players not playing anymore!!

you guys should just do a panel and choose the top 5 or 10 players. anything after that doesn't matter and you're only kidding yourself into trying on this dead, non competitive game. you guys should invest your time into something else, instead of slaving over a pointless PR that is meaningless after the top 3. I could understand if the TX scene was some thriving, talent filled region but it's not anymore. Zac do it for the people of TX, get rid of this PR so they can move on with their life and realize playing this dead game to get into C tier doesn't matter.
So much salt.
I could name people in E tier who could probably beat you.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
One thing I love about this list is the fact that it includes just about everyone.
The small struggles, the victories, the losses, it all makes it a bit more interesting and fun, y'know?
It has meaning in the fact that it shows our progress as players, even if said progress comes slower with some than others.

And about the "good" players not playing anymore, we can always make new ones.
There will always be people trying to break their limits, and history has shown that some will always succeed.
I mean, we have tons of people that show potential (megafox, Sync, Leaf, etc.). It's just a matter of time.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
All of you are wrong, Dojo and I are coming up with a panel.

Denti

Smash Master
you're only kidding yourself into trying on this dead, non competitive game.

I could understand if the TX scene was some thriving, talent filled region but it's not anymore.
This game ain't dead if a 400 man tournament just occurred.
What are your feelings on the state of Smash today? What sort of online viewership and in person attendance do major Smash tournaments get today?

Just recently we held Apex2012, it was the largest Smash tournament to date, with over 700 unique players across the three Smash games. 400 entered Brawl, over 320 entered Melee, and 64 entered Smash64 (capped bracket). People say the community is dying all the time and have for years, going back to when MLG first dropped the game in 2006. It seems that people love to say that about Smash because it has plenty of detractors, but in spite of it all the community continues to chug along. I think part of the reason is because it is the best selling modern fighting game – with over 10 million copies sold. Therefore there is almost always new players/blood to pick up the slack.

Smash is strong.

In 2009 Apex had 1,000 viewers concurrent for its livestream, which was the most. Apex 2010 got a little over 2,000, and then Apex 2012 breached 7,000 during it’s Melee broadcast and 6,500 during Brawl.

That said, I think discussion wise and content wise Smash is one of the most rich community there is. Part of the reason is because of the aggressive, lively rule debates that many find themselves attached too. Smashboards, for example, averages around 800 people on at anytime, which is almost identical to Shoryuken in recent weeks (shoryuken for awhile lead averaging around 1,100-1,200, but they have peaks and valleys around new games whereas the Smash community hasn’t had a new game in four years). Smashboards membership is also over 115,000, and this is after a purge of over 50,000 members just 2 years ago. By comparison, Shoryuken, the largest forum for nearly all other fighting games for the last decade, only has 60,000 members. This also undersells the Smash community a bit: at the same time almost 1,000 people are on Smashboards, almost 1,000 people are also cruising on AllisBrawl, another hub for the community.
It's all in this article right here.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=316929

Smash isn't dead. While it's true regions die out, others join. For example Dallas became inactive and Fort Worth become really active.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
No CY is still kinda right this game has lost so many good players C-tier and B-tier doesn't nearly hold as much weight as it did a year ago. I mean hell i think this game could still be alive, we have the venues, we have the TO's, we have a super bad *** forum, and great players but we just need fkn people. All we would need to do to save this game is not stuff like WHOBO I mean what kind of average guy is gonna just happen to stumble onto Aib/Smash boards and happen to stumble on a national tourney (it does happen but c'mon only people like ally care about stuff like WHOBO and Apex I know most of C-F didn't care they just wanna hang out with friends and play casually ) If we want this give to really live like it used to lets go grassroots bring back stuff like gamelot monthlies, and Battle networks, and Subway fight nights if not something simple like that. (in venues not some ones house :glare:) and beef up the pot. Not this lame **** like 1-2 get maybe 100$ 3- venue back (OMG) make it like top 8 or 10 **** give some incentive to keep coming back. **** post flyers, have food or something if you want to, do something simple. Actually help new players like Base or Wake master for change. If were not replacing the players we've lost were obviously gonna die :glare:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
umm why does TX still have a PR and why do people still care about this pointless list? rofl there are three good players in TX, and everyone else sucks. I haven't played in 2 years and I would beat 90% of the people in A and B tier. that's how far TX has fallen. people are like OHEMGEE I'm B tier now despite 80% of the good players not playing anymore!! .
Think about what you just posted in bold; how do you get 80% out of 3 people, according to what you posted? What exactly is your definition of a "good" player, hmm?

:phone:

Labernash

Smash Lord
Neon just said he was going to make it into B-Tier one day. That's what's good about this system. It gives people a ladder to climb. If we do a panel, it's like "I won't be notable unless I consistently beat these ten people."

If a scrub like me has hope to climb and incentive to get better, you're doing something right. Realize this is a video game, sit down, think this over with a Honey Bun, give me a hug, and let's play. It's not THAT important, and if people are having fun competing and trying to get better, then don't change a thing.

C'mon now.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Rofl at people forming a panel to slightly reorganize the top 20 or so players.

Trela

Smash Lord
Neon just said he was going to make it into B-Tier one day. That's what's good about this system. It gives people a ladder to climb. If we do a panel, it's like "I won't be notable unless I consistently beat these ten people."
You can find yourself a "ladder to climb" no matter what kind of a PR you have, if you are determined enough, that is.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Lol, exactly what I was going to say.
We've all started at the bottom of the ladder, some of us just didn't want to stay there for very long.

Labernash

Smash Lord
But, I'm bad. With this PR, I can compare myself to people near me. Comparing myself to anyone with character icons right now is discouraging. With this, I can see who I should target to get better off of on paper. If I went to tourneys every week, I'd learn who that is without this. But I don't, so. =(

FK1

Smash Journeyman
So...From what y'all are saying... To build an inclusive community: Ladder. To build egos(choosers and chosen): Panel. Did I get it right?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
lol no. a panel will become bias and prevent competition

it did in the past and will do so again.

math does not show bias

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I got 9th at San Japan 3.
Of course I attended like... two other tournaments that were free from some library Nike/Castro tried recruiting at once.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I got fourth at my first tournament. Lots of con scrubs. ^_^
That was also when the whole "getting Espy all the time" thing started.

Swear to god. A bajillion people attended House of Mouse 3 and the first person I played was Espy. XD

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Oh hey that's where all my points went. Top Seed SA Bottom Seed SA. Dozens+ local tourneys.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Aww, poor guy. Why don't you guys just seed Geo differently once in a while?

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
They do. It's just when the bigger local tourneys happen, seeds happen.
Edit: Abuse sounds nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom