• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Texas Power Rankings! - Updated June 15, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Honestly, it may not cause a lot of confusion.. I just think it looks messy and is inaccurate.
90% of the retired people still play...

Denti

Smash Master
Not trying to start anything but this is just my opinion.. lol XD

Just remove "retired" off of everyone's name.
If they are inactive for two months+ put it on their name.
Once they enter a tournament, remove it.

People think it's "cool" to have retired next to their name for some odd reason, yet they still play.

Don't let their words make the decision, let their actions make it. No one really quits Brawl anyways.

All of these people:

Dojo
UTDZac
Jerm
Fliphop
Xyro

Have attended a tournament within the last two months.
Take retired off of their name until they truly stay inactive.

Or

You can put them in a collapsed section marked retired.
(Retired) looks way too messy when you look at the top of the PR, and it causes confusion.
two months is pretty low. Just make a year and the actual retired/inactive people will be tagged. Which is like half the list.
I agree with everything listed above. Except maybe half a year or something..

Nothing should be wrong with putting a collapse on their name. They are retired so they shouldn't care anymore.

The more and more time that goes by the more inaccurate the retired players points become as compared to the current players. The Brawl metagame advances causing changes. Changes in stages, rules, character MUs, ect. My point is even if some of these retired players come back, a lot of them won't place the same as they use to earlier in the metagame [Especially with the MK ban]. I think it's unfair to give the impression that someone who is retired use to be as good as or better than current players who are potentially better.

shlike

Smash Ace
holy **** why am i so high up???? So many people deserve to be above me *cough dakpo cough*. I don't play this game anymore. Last time i played was lsc and last time i played before that was the circuit event in the valley. It's not that I don't want to or like to play, It's just that the local scene is here is pretty much dead. I do wanna keep attending hobos though. Love you guys

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
Look we live in Texas, there are only 3 choices for us

1. Suck it up and do run our own ****.
2. Play a top tier.
3. Ban Metaknight Find a girlfriend and quit.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Speaking of Leaf., now that he's out of F-tier, I agree with everyone saying this system is faulty. We should go to a panel.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I liked having a panel personally because it let you actively gauge any potential considerations. Nationals and OOS tournaments, retired or more infrequent players, matches and gameplay outside of tournament (Hey X guy didn't do that great at this tournament, but beat/went even with a lot of stronger players afterwards. We can take that into consideration just the same for someone who does great at a tournament but had bizarre losses afterwards. Obviously tournament counts the most, but you can still get valid opinions and general baselines from other areas as well).

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
DMG, no. There was a reason why panels were eliminated in the first place. the dallas bias was obscene.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I liked having a panel personally because it let you actively gauge any potential considerations. Nationals and OOS tournaments, retired or more infrequent players, matches and gameplay outside of tournament (Hey X guy didn't do that great at this tournament, but beat/went even with a lot of stronger players afterwards. We can take that into consideration just the same for someone who does great at a tournament but had bizarre losses afterwards. Obviously tournament counts the most, but you can still get valid opinions and general baselines from other areas as well).
So what you're saying is

Shlike > Dakpo

Sounds good to me.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What Im saying is that I remember the glory days where the panel worked just fine.

Bɪɢ Bоѕѕ

Smash Apprentice
ITT: lots of complaining and digging up previously discussed and/or dismissed conversations. just be happy we have this in the first place.

i also agree w/Xyro. this thread should be locked until next update.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Mr GW, give me every possible name you could have gone by in tournament. Also give me all the names of the events u have been to in the last 6-12 months.

:phone:
I've done this I think. But forget it, the other tourney was phase X and I was double eliminated, and that's the one were I tagged with a different name. And its been so long. So eff that.
I'm going to batous this month, from this point on I'll tag as "mr. Game and watch"

:phone:

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
DMG, no. There was a reason why panels were eliminated in the first place. the dallas bias was obscene.
I was the only Dallas player anywhere near the top of the rankings for a long time dude. Even then the only way I shot up was after going CoT4 and FS5, then explaining to Sethlon why I deserved to be higher than freaking 7th place at the time. I don't remember any kind of Dallas bias, lol.

What Im saying is that I remember the glory days where the panel worked just fine.
The panel never worked fine :( I got put near the bottom of the list because one person didn't like me and Dojo got put in 3rd because a couple of panel members meatriding RoyR. I'm sorry, but I would rather have a system based on fact than opinion any day, lol.

Dojo

Smash Champion
I was actually thinking about starting up a panel with people relatively active again and get some conversation sparked up. But honestly I don't think it will work for a couple of reasons

1. We don't have enough regional sized tournaments that everybody will travel to. Best place is like Austin or Dallas but we don't have that right now.
2. I think a lot of backlash will come out of it like it used to.

I already dislike this system in so many ways but honestly without every city becoming more active and willing to travel again, we can't really implement a panel.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah that was the main issue I thought of. Oh well :(

Tesh

Smash Hero
I could dig a panel, if the right ppl were in it.
This is exactly whats wrong with a panel.

Does anyone have a good reason to even have a panel over this system?

As Dojo pointed out, TX is so big that people from different cities aren't going to make informed opinions on OoC players and it just comes out to bias.

Name player active in the last year thats horribly out of place with this system(someone above B tier).

So why form a panel so you can all vote and bicker to arrive at the conclusion that Gnes, Razer and Dojo are better than Denti, Trela and Espy. Then after you get done with the already accurate top 10ish, you can all just make guesses on players you haven't seen or played in months.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
I could see a panel working if the actual list was organized different.

Like, rather than putting people in to a specific placement on a list just group people together in groups of similar skill levels. Like the power rankings list is organized now with the tiers, just without the numbers in it. Each player in the tier would be of -relatively- comparable skill to each other.

[collapse=Here's an example where I've arbitrarily placed people. This is not a reflection of my opinion, I'm just plopping people in to groups as an example]

Da Bess
UltimateRazer - :snake:
Gnes - :diddy:
Trela - :lucario:
Dojo - :metaknight:
Denti - :olimar:

Pretty Frickin' Good
K Prime - :pikachu2:
UTDZac - :gw:
Espy - :sonic:
Illmatic - :peach:

A Challenger Approaches!
Jerm - :toonlink:
Shlike - :zerosuitsamus:
Dakpo - :zerosuitsamus:/:luigi2:
Dphatisgay - :metaknight:
Infinity - :metaknight: / :diddy: / :falco: / :wario: / :marth:

We Play Weird Characters Tier
Poltergust - :yoshi2:
Magik - :pt: / :metaknight:
MegaFox - :fox: / :snake:[/collapse]

The people in the top of the list could -reasonably- compete for best in the state. The people in the next tier coupe -reasonably- make it to loser's finals, winner's finals or grand finals. The people on the next group could reasonably make top 5. And so on from there...

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm really not fond of the panel idea, but I DO like Infinity's naming system.
I would change "Pretty Frickin'" to "Finger Lickin'", though.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Uh... I like panel best but I'm just one voice in all of that. I believe I could pick the best people to represent each city.

Also, one person SEVERELY out of place: Magik

Edit: But like I said before, I do what my community wants. So it's not up for me and I'm not starting some boycott.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Uh... I like panel best but I'm just one voice in all of that. I believe I could pick the best people to represent each city.

Also, one person SEVERELY out of place: Magik

Edit: But like I said before, I do what my community wants. So it's not up for me and I'm not starting some boycott.
Would you mind setting up a panel and getting me lists each month? I'm curious to see how it compares to my system. We will still use this system as the official rankings, but I'll publish your lists here to compare. I don't see any harm in doing this.

EDIT: Also, please don't use this system's rankings as a bases for your lists. I don't want any bias k?

Sync.

Smash Champion
Sure if you want, I can start one Zac to compare :)

That is actually a really good idea! It'd be like a fun little experiment.

I'll get to it this weekend then. I'll let everyone know on this thread when everything is setup. Do you want a set amount of people to be ranked or do you want me to just do as I please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom