• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
couple small quick name changes:
-there may be a "wes-wc" player, but the "wes-wc" for the tournament "Smashomaina 2011" is actually Westballz, not wes-wc. (the "wes-wc" for manifest is not westballz)
-for the same tourney, "this one's for sfat" is actually lucky, lol
thanks again for this!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
couple small quick name changes:
-there may be a "wes-wc" player, but the "wes-wc" for the tournament "Smashomaina 2011" is actually Westballz, not wes-wc. (the "wes-wc" for manifest is not westballz)
-for the same tourney, "this one's for sfat" is actually lucky, lol
thanks again for this!
Sweet. I spent forever before processing that tourney trying to figure out who "this ones for sfat" was.

:phone:

Max?

Smash Champion
A few things.

1.) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318605 . There should be a bracket image there, idk if that helps with Tio tho. I'll try to send more tournies your guys way when I find them.
2.) I'm not sure this matters much, but I didn't go to Day 2 of Zenith due to a family event, so I never played Mafia or Prog despite it saying I lost to both of them.
3.) Why is it that pools for Apex were counted, but not for other Nationals like Zenith or the ROM series?

Carry on

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'll have that fixed for you.

All pools are counted, but the pools for some tournaments are just plain lost. The pools for zenith were apparently lost, scar never uploaded rom 2 pools and alukard never uploaded rom 3. Only brackets were available : /

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
G$ wasn't at Knight slash 2 http://www.ssbpd.com/player/G$

just somebody using his name

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
hey guys,

changed some stuff about how tournaments are processed that should prevent ratings from having weird spikes because of running elo processing out of order. so hopefully that will be all cleared up now.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
when someone uploads a new tournament, how long does it normally take for it to show up? does it also depend on when the tournament actually occurred?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
when someone uploads a new tournament, how long does it normally take for it to show up? does it also depend on when the tournament actually occurred?
It just depends on how long until one of the mods has some free time to put into double checking results, making sure names and labels make sense and all, and processing it. there's something like 30 tournaments in the queue right now because everyone's been busy with other stuff, but rest assured that it will show up before long.

In terms of occurrence date - i tend to go for oldest tournaments first when I'm going through them (which is fairly rare; the mods deserve all the credit here). I don't know what the other guys prioritize, but it's nothing systematic, if that's what you're wondering.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'm sorry guys. I literally haven't processed a tournament in weeks. I am just really super busy (I work full time, have 2 kids, a wife, and am practicing for FC).

I went through some names though the other day and fixed a lot of duplicate players, tagged character mains, locations, ect.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I've also been super busy and haven't had time to process stuff, but you guys can keep on uploading new tournaments and they will be taken care of eventually.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've also been non-stop busy for something like 3 weeks on Project M work. Not sure I'm going to be able to contribute much to the project anymore outside of a character/region tag here and there and uploading the monthlies that occur in Rolla.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well, I mean we're never going to get FULLY caught up. There are tournament results that are just gone. While going through old tournaments and getting them up is important, I think consistently uploading the VAST majority of current tournaments will help even more. If we can get the entire community into the habit of uploading results every weekend, then the ratings will get really accurate really quickly. Old results are just going to be a matter of time to look through threads, find bracket images, recreate Tio files, etc. New results can be uploaded directly from the TO much more quickly with the only step really being to double check names before processing.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Ive offered to help with the project and do some of that but no body got back to me on authorizing my account. ive been remaking brackets for a while and doing what i can. but i can only help so much. IM PITTSBURGHS BEST TO! ask ANYBODY

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Carroll, pm me your Skype contact info and we can get you in the chat and figure it out.

Edit:

So I was talking about making user defined subregions, where basically you can create your own group of playersand call it like "my region" and then add whatever players you want to it. That would then show up in the regions list for you and you could do all the normal things you can do with a region with it there. But you wouldn't be able to see other people's, because it's a private thing.

I thought it was a pretty good idea but apparently a lot of people think it's lacking in one way or another. Does anyone have any feedback on how to do something like this right? I'm interested in any ideas.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What would be the point in keeping the regions private? I'm assuming it'd mostly be people comparing their local crew vs. another crew that is potentially in the same state or something.

Personally, I'm much more interested in the potential for introducing character mains and ratings into the equation. It'd be cool to be able to create groups with players within a certain Elo range, with only certain characters, and all the possible combinations that come with that. So like now we have a check box for regions. Just add another column for which character mains to include and a third column with an Elo rating range.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
So I was talking about making user defined subregions, where basically you can create your own group of playersand call it like "my region" and then add whatever players you want to it. That would then show up in the regions list for you and you could do all the normal things you can do with a region with it there. But you wouldn't be able to see other people's, because it's a private thing.

I thought it was a pretty good idea but apparently a lot of people think it's lacking in one way or another. Does anyone have any feedback on how to do something like this right? I'm interested in any ideas.
Just turn this into smash facebook in which your elo translates to how many friends you can have

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
What can I do if there are someone else's matches on my account? Is there a way for me to get rid of them myself or would I have to get someone to do it for me?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Just turn this into smash facebook in which your elo translates to how many friends you can have
This is silly but basically the point of my objections to making such a thing public. I have no Interest in fifty people's "my homies" lists, and fifty different "NorCal" lists and lists named "****" showing up publicly, etc.

:phone:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What about something more like actual facebook where you can discuss matches and tournaments, post videos, like/share things, etc. TBH I'm not a fan of the "friends" idea; we're all friends right? I think all discussions and pages should be open for anyone to view/comment on, but I guess thats not a big deal. Being able to communicate with others would be great

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That's really outside of the scope of the project and was ultimately the downfall of something like AllisBrawl; this is meant to be a resource, not a place to chat and talk about ****. That's what Smashboards is for.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I'm just throwing the idea out there...

I mean, its an organized index of tournaments, matches, players and regions. It would make sense to be able to attach videos to matches, allow players to pick their favorite matches of themselves to display on their page, allow discussion about the results of a tournament, etc. It wouldn't even clutter if done well

Bones0

Smash Legend
I agree with Sveet that there should be some element of socialization, but I guess the issue is how much. I think allowing people to manage their own page would be the best course. Having actual forums is just flat-out unnecessary. I think it'd be nice if I could log in to my account and have a single video of one of my matches featured with a single chat log underneath for any and all general conversation. Everything could be extremely simplified and condensed by simply allowing certain parts of the page to be collapsed. So it'd look something like this:

Bones - Falco - 1337 - MD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Match History:
[collapse=Apex 2012]Mew2King
Mango
Armada[/collapse]
[Collapse=Pound 5]etc.[/collapse]Show Previous Year - Show All

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Collapse=Elo Chart]Display chart here.[/collapse]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featured Video:
[embed here]

Chat Log:
4/25, 1:48PM - Mango - ahhhhh... ****
4/25, 1:45PM - Bones - Hey guys, check out my new match!

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Am I wrong in thinking there should be more...pressing goals? The socialization aspect sounds great but there is so much more important things to do..

a) Tie user accounts to their ELO profile. Connect that profile to a smashboards account. Allow some editable options on their player page.
b) Default to the player's main when no other information is given, but allow for characters to be chosen on a set by set basis. e.g. Display whether M2K used Marth, Sheik, etc. I know this has been suggested before but I still think it is a point of priority
c) Link youtube videos to sets. This can be very, very, very hazardous and tedious so be careful and add safeguards. But it is TOO GOOD a feature to pass up. Its half the reason people got excited for the database in the first place; being able to search for videos of Marth/Sheik with ELOs above 1500 in the last 2 years...now thats an incredible resource.
d) Allow greater search options. The example search I said in c) should be made available.
e) Split up the player list. The page is too long right now and is cumbersome to load/scroll through.

etc..

Anyway, since it sounds like you guys need help processing stuff, I'd love to lend a hand. I'll PM FoxLisk my skype name and all that.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I object to all forms of social networking. We aren't trying to rebuild AIB...
I think the MOST IMPORTANT things right now are to collect old tournaments and tweak the ratings algorithm, particularly to better account for randoms who enter one tournament as "Joe" and then never come back. First of all, these players shouldn't be displayed on the ratings list and they shouldn't count towards regional statistics. Secondly, they should be rated differently since they are always unrated prior to the tournament.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I object to all forms of social networking. We aren't trying to rebuild AIB...
I think the MOST IMPORTANT things right now are to collect old tournaments and tweak the ratings algorithm, particularly to better account for randoms who enter one tournament as "Joe" and then never come back. First of all, these players shouldn't be displayed on the ratings list and they shouldn't count towards regional statistics. Secondly, they should be rated differently since they are always unrated prior to the tournament.
Well of course. Uploading tournaments and fleshing out the database is always the most important goal for this project.

But I was talking about general site layout stuff.

(I still like Sveet's post-upload form. I think that'd reduce a lot of stress and work...)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ thanks dude, im glad someone thought it was a good idea.

I'm fairly sure my ideas fall on deaf ears tho, I PM'd or Skyped FoxLisk a few weeks ago saying that, as a user, the feature I want the most is an advanced search, and he didn't even respond. I'm really not sure what the problem is, I present my ideas in a fairly clear fashion, with a positive tone, thoroughly give examples and can show how it would work at every step. I'm starting to believe its not any fault of my own, but rather the creators feel threatened by my ideas (which I don't understand... aren't I a member of the project???)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Am I wrong in thinking there should be more...pressing goals? The socialization aspect sounds great but there is so much more important things to do..

a) Tie user accounts to their ELO profile. Connect that profile to a smashboards account. Allow some editable options on their player page.
b) Default to the player's main when no other information is given, but allow for characters to be chosen on a set by set basis. e.g. Display whether M2K used Marth, Sheik, etc. I know this has been suggested before but I still think it is a point of priority
c) Link youtube videos to sets. This can be very, very, very hazardous and tedious so be careful and add safeguards. But it is TOO GOOD a feature to pass up. Its half the reason people got excited for the database in the first place; being able to search for videos of Marth/Sheik with ELOs above 1500 in the last 2 years...now thats an incredible resource.
d) Allow greater search options. The example search I said in c) should be made available.
e) Split up the player list. The page is too long right now and is cumbersome to load/scroll through.

etc..

Anyway, since it sounds like you guys need help processing stuff, I'd love to lend a hand. I'll PM FoxLisk my skype name and all that.
FoxLisk already fixed letter B. I agree with everything else except E. I don't have any trouble loading it at all. It would also be annoying to have to load the player list and then click something in order to find your name or your friend's name just because they aren't in the top 100 or w/e.

I also agree that something needs to be done about players that enter once and disappear. I think a lot of people are getting ridiculous boosts from playing randoms. I usually place right around the middle of tournaments (maybe a little on the top side), but beating someone who's attending their first tournament yields you even more of a gain than if you beat me, or vice versa when considering points lost. No idea how you could fix this though. I'd say just change the default rating out lower, but I have no clue how that would affect ratings (it might just end up lowering everyone's ratings in relation to it or something dumb).

Nintendude

Smash Hero
The answer to the problem is provisional ratings, but I think that Ziv can offer the best insight on how to implement it properly.

Top Bottom