• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Trillion

Smash Ace
side b is also an air attack, which continues hitting the olimar, after it clanks with his smashes.

You know, I never really thought of it much that way, but when I think about it, your absolutely right. It never occurred to me that the beginning had different priority rules.

infomon

Smash Scientist
keep in mind that Olimar's pikmin have categorically different priority mechanics from most other stuff in the game. That is, they act as individual hurtboxes separate from Olimar himself. So while most aerial attacks don't clash, your attacks can hit the pikmin (which will cancel their hitboxes), and then your attack can still hit Olimar because he's a different hurtbox.

Oli is weird :D but yeah I'd expect both of our spindashes to be able to go through the pikmin under certain circumstances. What KID points out is that our SDR may clash with the pikmin which would put us in a neutral (standing) state, whereas the side-B is an air move and so cannot be interrupted in that way; it would hit a pikman but then keep going.

pikmanz!

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Eh yeah, you're going to find out sooner or later that everything outside this sub-forum kind of sucks. It's best not to bother.

And even then, Chis admitted he didn't lock the thread himself.

Who did though? I'd like to know, I thought that's why we had our own personal moderator; and he's done a fine job so far... :/

:093:
It was Bio if you were wondering.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone. I really don't know anything about Sonic, but a friend of mine showed me this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c49X4UcDs0 (see right in the beginning, the first time Sonic hits Wario).
He told me this could be done up to 6 time on basically every character.
This seems to rely on techchase, but with Sonic's speed I thought it could be legit, no matter which option the opponent chooses.

So is it legit? Does it work on everyone? How long can you do it?
Thanks for your answers :) .

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's not guaranteed at all, even during the first attempt. Proper DI prevents this from being possible.

However, if they are footstooled, then there's a near guarantee that if you call the direction in which they roll/get up, you get another spin in, at the least.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So what is the most effective approach for Sonic? And when I use my SpinDashthing the opponents flies so far I only have to nair them.

_Dice

Smash Ace
I'm Pretty new to Brawl in General, But Since i've been using bair alot to space and such i'm wondering if there is a good way to make sure you are facing a direction in the air, whether after hopping (i guess just turn around right before the hop right?) and especially after you've been knocked in the air (no idea). it'd help me out alot, as against a few characters i end up juggled way longer than i think i should be. Also what is a good way of just getting out of being juggled with sonic. Thanks guys :D

Tenki

Smash Hero
When you get hit, you face the direction the hit came from - and yes, most of the time it's turning around right before you hop.

If you reaaally want to switch directions in midair, you can try using side-B or up-B facing away from your opponent, but just be aware that using either one makes you lose your ability to double jump.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So what is the most effective approach for Sonic?
Don't know why Tenki didn't getc'ya but maybe because it's not an easy question to answer.

Long story short: Sonic's has no approach.

Short story long: Sonic has no one approach he can abuse a majority of the time. Sonic is the type of character where you will (only?) see success in punishing the opponent, not the character. If this means that you get more in by approaching with ASC, so be it. If you cause more havoc by Spinshot Bairs, so be it. If your opponent is sort of brain dead and a direct Spin Dash Roll approach works, cool.

Let me know if you need anymore help on this. I tried to keep it short and sweet.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, his approach sucks but he got so many options =/

Anyways, Sonic is hard, maybe it's the best to just play and learn from experience.

ANYWAYS: Tell me everything about Sonic's dthrow. I hear a lot about it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Sure.

There is nothing more you need to know other than it sucks and you should probably always use Up and Forward throw in favor of Down throw.

If you really want me to give you a more detailed breakdown on the move, just ask. I do also have a thread linked in the directory if you just want to read that. It mainly goes over tech advantage/disadvantage but I managed to mention the misc. stuff too.

Edit: Never would've thought my 9,000th post would be spent like this~! Baw~! :<

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm really not going to take the time to go into detail to explain everything thoroughly when it can be just summed up as "D-Throw sucks."

Seriously, the only reason I even use that move myself is because my opponents don't bother to tech it and they give me that bad habit. I play Kita and he techs it once and guess what? I start U-Throw chaining him and juggling him for more damage than I would making tech-chase attempts.

Besides, I already told him where he could go if he wanted to learn more/everything about D-Throw. Isn't that enough? ;~;

infomon

Smash Scientist
There is nothing more you need to know other than it sucks and you should probably always use Up and Forward throw in favor of Down throw.
Lies. :p

Sonic's Dthrow does 8%, same as his Bthrow, whereas Fthrow does 9 and Uthrow does 12. Upthrow can kill (typically if the opponent doesn't know how to DI it), so even though it does the most damage it's not always a good idea to spam it. Dthrow is a useful alternative because it can actually provide for some tech-chasey setups.

Unfortunately, there's a problem; if your opponent DI's the throw down and techs it then they may get a frame advantage with which to hit you back (lol). However the vast majority of ppl don't know about this, or even if they do know they often screw it up. So Dthrow is still useful especially against ppl on whom it's abusable. It can be useful near an edge just to get someone off the stage and (relatively) low.

Then there's our super-special-awesome-D3-killer when you dthrow a dedede from the very rightmost edge of battlefield (sonic facing left). most situational nonsense ever!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yea, it was the first time Id ever even though to try it in a real match, so when he didnt immediately die, I wasnt prepared to properly edgeguard.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
All right thanks. After all the stuff I had read I was having hard time knowing whether it sucked or not.

Anyways, my opponents suck and can't tech it. What should I do to them until they learn to do so?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Did you know that I've posted so much in my Smash career, that even though it's been so long since I've had any long/serious/spammy discussion on SWF, I'm still at an average 4 posts per day? Wow!

Life

Smash Hero
I'm at like 4.4.

Anyway, how does one fight against someone leagues ahead of them? Obviously one can't expect to win (as that'd mean the game was uncompetitive) but how do I not get wrecked and what should I take away from the experience?

I say this because M2K is most likely showing up to that tournament on Sunday (dunno if he's doing Brawl or Melee or both tho) and I'll probably be one of the worst players in the building (not to say that I won't go in with a positive attitude, just being realistic). How do I going about standing a chance?

I suppose this isn't directly Sonic-related, but eh.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
first of all, whos to say that youre going to have to play jason in the first place?

theres plenty of other good people going to that that will stomp you out just as hard.

ive been to a few tourneys that hes been at, and since hes m2k, hes always swarmed with people trying to play him, so its not worth my effort to jump in this 30 man line to play him when I can just go up to ninjalink and be like, yo, play me.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm at like 4.4.

Anyway, how does one fight against someone leagues ahead of them? Obviously one can't expect to win (as that'd mean the game was uncompetitive) but how do I not get wrecked and what should I take away from the experience?

I say this because M2K is most likely showing up to that tournament on Sunday (dunno if he's doing Brawl or Melee or both tho) and I'll probably be one of the worst players in the building (not to say that I won't go in with a positive attitude, just being realistic). How do I going about standing a chance?

I suppose this isn't directly Sonic-related, but eh.
Play to learn. Explore your abilities and try to play smart. Think about what you are doing and when you lose, try to make sure you understand why you lost. Asking your opponent might help. You might not place last after all. My first tournament apparently some casuals had wandered in so I got to beat some folks.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Anyways, my opponents suck and can't tech it. What should I do to them until they learn to do so?
if you get better reward for their lack of knowledge, keep abusing it until they learn.

That's the truly competitive answer.

Another is to teach them so that the true disdavantage of the move shines, and you start to force yourself to play better/differently.

Another answer.

U-Throw.

Because that's probably what you should be doing. *Shot.*

hi
why is Sonic so much fun to play with?
Everybody else too slow.

I am not joking.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this kind of request is unusual or not.....
Would anyone here be willing to do a sort of "tutor/pupil" relationship with me over WiFi?
Y'know, play matches, offer critique, direct me to good opponents I can play, etc?
I think if I got a feel of how a really good Sonic main plays, I could improve drastically.

Oh, and for the hell of it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The general trouble you are going to run into on wifi (especially with Sonic) is that you will have a tough time punishing with a character that thrives on punishing within very small windows of time. I'd be willing to help you out where I can. The best Sonic mains I have ever seen on wifi, weren't actually using Sonic though.

You might actually learn alot more by having an experienced player guide you through videos of our best Sonics and explain the details to you. Alot of the finer details can't really be put into practice on wifi consistently.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Some great Sawnick's, please help me. When I am new to Sonic, what should I focus on? I don't think I should abuse any of the AT stuff like spindash cancels or anything? What do I need to focus on to get good with Sonic?

Life

Smash Hero
Welcome to the boards LzR!

Most of Sonic's ATs are pretty easy (cancels, spinshot). So feel free to get them down first. The key is to know when to use them. Which basically means learn some ATs then play your heart out against real people.

Also, don't spam spring-dair.

Top Bottom