• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Tenki

Smash Hero
SONIC REALLY FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS!
- a true FAQ, not a guide.

Did you come here looking for a real guide? Click here to see a list of guides and useful threads!

Contents:
S - teak?

1 - What is the difference between side-B and down-B?
2 - What is ASC?
3 - What is Spinshot?
4 - What do all those acronyms and letters mean!?
5 - Does Sonic have bad priority???
6 - RATS?

S - teak?
So, what are we going to do about sonic not being in trouneys then? I say everyone from the smash boards or sonic section at least should go to trouney, and prove them wrong about sonic. We can go on and on about how much he sucks, but let's try to do something about it. Let's not cry, but pick sonic up and go on an owning steak with him.
I'm tempted to Photoshop a picture of Sonic standing on a steak.
I'm tempted to beg you until you do.

The steak needs a first place ribbon too. How else would we know it's a winning steak?
And it began.

1 - What is the difference between side-B and down-B !??

In a sense, side-B and down-B ARE the same move. They share the same stale move counter, and the roll/jump are the same for both attacks. Even though this is true, there are some aspects about them that really set their usage apart.

Charge: Side-B can cancel into shield on the ground before it's fully charged. Damage for the roll is based on how long you hold it. Down-B's charge doesn't shield cancel, and its damage is based on the rate/amount of taps you're pressing B.

Air: Side-B has a hop, and its attack box deals 6 damage (charge doesn't matter) and only lasts until you pass the starting height. Down-B's damage lasts as long as you're moving fast enough, and deals more damage if you're holding a direction. It also does multiple hits as long as your opponent is in range to BE hit, and if you hold shield while landing, it will cancel.

Ground!: lulz, they're the same.

For more information, details, and discussion on these moves, please read this thread:
Side-B and Down-B Mechanics: EXPLAINED! + moar

2 - What is ASC?
ASC is the Aerial Spin Charge. Sakurai named the down-B the Spin Charge, so... an Aerial Spin Charge is... a down-B performed in the air! Tada. That's all it is. If you read the first question, you can shield cancel it by holding shield as you land, and if you hold forward, you can deal more damage with it (max 11 damage first hit), and even multiple hits (usually 7-10 damage), as long as your opponent is still in front of you. It's a pretty useful move that you can use to fake people out, and it's also Sonic's best damager, hands down.

For more information, details, and discussion on these moves, please read this thread:
Side-B and Down-B Mechanics: EXPLAINED! + moar > Aerial Spin Charge: This move is too good.

3 - What is Spinshot? spin shot
Spinshot is an AT that lets Sonic jump through the air at running speed! In essence, it is an instant double jump, and it's done by almost immediately inputting [Jump] or [Attack] as soon as you release side-B or down-B in the air. Side-B starts with a hop, so you're sent in the air regardless of where you are, but if you're trying to do it from down-B, you have to be in the air first.

"Regular input", GC controller:
[Hold side-B]> [Release B and quickly hit A or jump]
*I prefer sliding from B to A.

Easy shortcuts:
- ASC spinshot (GC controller, default settings):
(air) [Down]+[B, B, B...] > [C-stick Left/Right]
- Side-B spinshot (Wiimote+Nunchuck, B for special, A for Attack):
[Side+B]>[hit A while holding B]

Video, for those having trouble understanding what a Spinshot looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XPazo3otHo

4 - What do all those acronyms and letters mean!?

SD = Spin Dash (Hop) (Side-B)
SC = Spin Charge (Down-B)
ASC = Aerial Spin Charge (air Down-B)
SDR = Spin Dash Roll (the grounded rolling attack)
SDJ = Spin Dash Jump (jump attack that can be done out of a SDR)
FSJ = Footstool jump; gfsj is a grounded footstool (done on a grounded opponent)
IASA = Interruptible-as-soon-as (it's lame, and I didn't come up with it - basically frames where you can attack before the animation is over)
SDSC = Spin Dash shield cancel (hitting shield to cancel a side-B's charge)
DJ = Double jump
FT = Foxtrot
DD = Dashdance
DDP = Dashdance pivot
ONN = omnomnom frames (existence pending...)

==============
But you know, it's all too weird to memorize it all, so here's the system:
Prefixes:
A- - aerial
G- - grounded
i- - invincible/instant
V - Vertical

----
SD is spin dash. Usually refers to side-B, but if followed by other letters, can refer to moves.
SC is spin charge. Usually refers to down-B. Can also refer to shield cancel, but think it through and just use the one that works better in context.

suffixes:
-J - jump.
-R - roll.

==============

Examples:
SDR = Spindash Roll.
VSDJ = Vertical Spin Dash Jump.

See? It's not too bad =D

5 - Does Sonic have bad priority???
In short, yes.
However, this is thrown around so much, that people have a really weird misconception of it.
With grounded moves, the priority system works like this:
- If two attacks deal within 10% of each other, they will clang and both attacks will cancel
- If one attack deals more than 10% than the other attack, the weaker move will get cancelled, and the stronger move will continue on.

With aerial moves, it tends to work more like this:
- If one "attack box" overlaps the opponent's "hurt box" first, it will win.
- If both characters' attacks reach each others' 'hurtboxes' at the same time, they will trade hits.
- Aerial [A] attacks will never clang or cancel.
- - - Special states (some special attacks, MK's glide attack, destructible projectiles) follow the 10% rule, except instead of 'stopping', their damage/attack box will get neutralized. So if you attack Snake's mortar with something that deals within 10% of its damage, you can break through it. If you F-air into MK's glide attack, the first hit will neutralize the glide attack and the followup hits will hit MK.

So in general, 'aerial priority' is about having your attack out first, or hitting behind your opponent's attack.

Many of Sonic's attacks are multiple-hit and each hit deals small amounts of damage. This makes it relatively easier for some characters to completely defeat Sonic's moves with their grounded moves. Most ground moves, however, are still within his ability to 'neutralize'. Aerially, his U-air is disjointed (its attack box extends past his hurtbox/graphics), so he can reach through some characters' attacks. But for the most part, his hitboxes are very close to his attackboxes so he tends to be hit out of his moves alot easier.

6 - HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS JAPANESE PLAYER NAMED RATS???//

TL;DR: yes.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol, nice work Tenki. It was only a matter of time before the thread was made. Hopefully the pretty colors will draw noobs people in to read more moar.

More to be added as I find annoying reoccurring noobs nightmares posts and questions
QFT.

Tenki

Smash Hero
3 - What is Spinshot? spin shot
Spinshot is an AT that lets Sonic jump through the air at running speed! In essence, it is an instant double jump, and it's done by almost immediately inputting [Jump] or [Attack] as soon as you release side-B or down-B in the air. Side-B starts with a hop, so you're sent in the air regardless of where you are, but if you're trying to do it from down-B, you have to be in the air first.

"Regular input", GC controller:
[Hold side-B]> [Release B and quickly hit A or jump]
*I prefer sliding from B to A.

Easy shortcuts:
- ASC spinshot (GC controller, default settings):
(air) [Down]+[B, B, B...] > [C-stick Left/Right]
- Side-B spinshot (Wiimote+Nunchuck, B for special, A for Attack):
[Side+B]>[hit A while holding B]

Video, for those having trouble understanding what a Spinshot looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XPazo3otHo
Is that not clear on instructions?

I'm being serious and not sarcastic here. I'm making this thread for potential newbies, so if I can make it any clearer, please tell me.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yes actually. Very. And I suppose I'm a newbie to Sonic so I got it. Atleast I didn't make a thread on it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
How do I shot spin? Is there a specific timing for it? Do I have to charge a bit?
i just noticed 'shot spin'. i c wut u did thar lolll joke question?
Yes actually. Very. And I suppose I'm a newbie to Sonic so I got it. Atleast I didn't make a thread on it.
but yeah, if you were being serious with that question, and all I did to answer it was quote the original post, then something in presentation might have failed, or did you just skim too fast over it?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Tenki, you'r thing is clear enough IMO. He really can't do anything until he tries it himself.

How do I shot spin? Is there a specific timing for it? Do I have to charge a bit?
First of all, its Spinshot, not shot spin =P, no offense. The timing is exactly as Tenki described.

I wonder why it works different for the WiiChuck than it does with the GC hmm...

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Tenki, you'r thing is clear enough IMO. He really can't do anything until he tries it himself.

First of all, its Spinshot, not shot spin =P, no offense. The timing is exactly as Tenki described.

I wonder why it works different for the WiiChuck than it does with the GC hmm...
lulz It was a joke. You know "How do I shot web?" And thanks both of you guys! Lets hope this thread is a new start to a less spammy Sonic boards.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Another Side-B spinshot shortcut is Side B>C-Stick Down. C-Stick down is basically the same as an attack input, but I find the C-Stick much easier. It works at almost the whole point of the charge.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I'm going to make one post outside of the Sonic Wifi thread real quick.

Don't let this get stickied. If it gets stickied, people will not read it.

I mean it.

:093:

Matt07

Smash Master
How do I do the move where Sonic jumps of a spring :confused:. I can't seem to do it, thanks in advance for answering the question.

No but seriously good stuff Sonic mains hopefully this will stop the spam on this board ;).

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Add this.

Is Sonic light?

The numbers in this table show the weight of a character compared to Mario, so Bowser is 1.111 times as heavy as Mario, Jigglypuff is 0.849 times as heavy as Mario. This table has proved to be 100% consistent after testing all moves.

Bowser 1.111
Donkey Kong 1.091
Snake 1.076
Dedede 1.071
Charizard 1.061
Ganondorf 1.056
Samus 1.051
Yoshi 1.045
Wario 1.045
R.O.B. 1.040
Ike 1.035
Captain Falcon 1.030
Link 1.030
Wolf 1.020
Lucario 1.010
Ivysaur 1.010
Mario 1
Luigi 0.995
Sonic 0.985
Ness 0.980
Pit 0.980
Lucas 0.980
Diddy Kong 0.975
Toon Link 0.970
Ice Climber 0.970
Peach 0.960
Marth 0.944
Sheik 0.935
Zelda 0.935
Falco 0.919
Olimar 0.919
Zero Suit Samus 0.914
Fox 0.910
Pikachu 0.904
Meta Knight 0.904
Kirby 0.899
Squirtle 0.884
Mr. Game & Watch 0.884
Jigglypuff 0.849
No.

Tenki

Smash Hero
as true as that is, it's not a frequently asked question as it is a frequent misconception.

Also, it doesn't necessarily take into account vertical and side kills. Some characters are more susceptible or resistant to those. I think Sonic is fairly balanced, but Mario, Wario, Samus, MK/GAW/Jigglypuff, for example, all die faster vertically than horizontally.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
One of the more useful threads that should not be stickied, instead be posted on a lot (NOT SPAM) so that it's on top to see. Really, no one reads stickies

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Hey I have question if you hit a Pikachu with a f-smash after Pikachu uses a full charged skull bash who will get more damage Sonic or Pikachu?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hey I have question if you hit a Pikachu with a f-smash after Pikachu uses a full charged skull bash who will get more damage Sonic or Pikachu?
Are you talking about a full charged F-smash vs a full-charged skull bash, or just a normal uncharged F-smash vs a full-charged skull bash?

Because if you're just trying to hit a Pikachu when he tries to hit you with skull bash, do this:

[Shield the skull bash] (Pikachu collides with your shield and falls) > [release shield and immediately do an uncharged F-smash]

Tenki

Smash Hero
...yes, if the players take advantage of the tools he has.

>_>

Gindler

Smash Champion
Dumb question, but I'm thinking of trying to pick up sonic and have no experience in him so thought I'd ask the classic newb question since I can't find a "good" explanation anywhere.

What's the real difference between the sideB and downB?

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Dumb question, but I'm thinking of trying to pick up sonic and have no experience in him so thought I'd ask the classic newb question since I can't find a "good" explanation anywhere.

What's the real difference between the sideB and downB?
You're joking right?

If not:

=''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
:(

Here:

Contents:
1 - What is the difference between side-B and down-B?

1 - What is the difference between side-B and down-B !??
Charge: Side-B can cancel into shield on the ground before it's fully charged. Damage for the roll is based on how long you hold it. Down-B's charge doesn't shield cancel, and its damage is based on the rate/amount of taps you're pressing B.

Air: Side-B has a hop, and its attack box deals 6 damage (charge doesn't matter) and only lasts until you pass the starting height. Down-B's damage lasts as long as you're moving fast enough, and deals more damage if you're holding a direction. It also does multiple hits as long as your opponent is in range to BE hit, and if you hold shield while landing, it will cancel.

Ground!: lulz, they're the same.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
as true as that is, it's not a frequently asked question as it is a frequent misconception.

Also, it doesn't necessarily take into account vertical and side kills. Some characters are more susceptible or resistant to those. I think Sonic is fairly balanced, but Mario, Wario, Samus, MK/GAW/Jigglypuff, for example, all die faster vertically than horizontally.
DDD too. Makes it more important considering he is a heavyweight.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol @ Gindler. Thanks for the effort.

Dedede actually dies faster HORIZONTALLY than vertically. Really.

Tenki

Smash Hero
basically, HA usually takes about 2 seconds to fire.

when you 'cancel' it, you can cancel it any time after the first second of charging by pressing B or A.

It's not really 'cancelling' like Sonic's spin cancells D:

and no, it doesn't do less damage. It's the same, except if you 'cancel' it, you release it earlier, meaning you're releasing it lower (because HA rises as it's charging).

Tenki

Smash Hero
Question.

Does charging a spin dash/charge increase it's priority?
Yes and no.

SDR: (takes in: charge data, 'remaining jumps')
- 7-10 damage, 7 on turn-around.
- If you are moving slow enough (for example, slowed down by a hill, or a single charge roll after making contact with one object), you can shield and cancel the roll!
- During the turn-around, does not deal damage until the blue aura comes back.
- The turn-around is treated like a second SDR that has weaker charge
(minimum 7% dmg, without stale moves)
- Charge data is taken in from the side B/ down B to determine speed and damage of the roll
- Gains/loses speed when travelling on slopes (goes faster if going down a hill and slower if going up).
- Combos naturally into a SDJ if [Attack], [Jump], or [Up] (for tap jump off) is pressed.
- Passes 'remaining jumps' data to SDJ.
- If you roll off a platform, passes 'remaining jumps' data to the ASC that follows.
If we assume damage = priority (going by the '10% rule'), then yes. The more charge you have, the more damage you'll do, and the higher the 'priority' that your SDR (the grounded roll) has.

However, charge doesn't affect the damage of the side-B's hop (it's constant, aside from stale move effect), and it doesn't affect the damage of an ASC (reliant on your air speed).

Such advocation for reading stickies >_ó)b

Boxob

Smash Champion
So I'm thinking of compiling a list of almost useful information.

Things that aren't new or amazing, but pretty cool.

Basically a guide on how to fancy.

Oh, and a video demonstration of how to edge guard made by Me and CITH.

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Typo, it's ASC ;)

IMO it's not reliable, it just kinda happens sometimes if the spacing works out very in your favour :) and on heavyweights; Bowser, DK, D3, even ROB...

Top Bottom