• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

infomon

Smash Scientist
trying to remember priority mechanics.....

iirc... "invincible" means that it will go right through anything that it can't clash against. ie. "trancendent" priority like lasers, and aerials that aren't pikmin, and some swords e.g. MK's, and grabs. The iSDR will be unaffected by any of these regardless of the amount of damage.

"Ground" moves tend to be the ones that it can clash against.
Suppose your isdr has a strength of 11% (I think this is the most it can do). Then a ground attack that does 21% or less, will clash against it. The spindash will stop, and so will the opponent; you're both face-to-face and neutral at the exact same frame (I think). But if the opponent's hitbox has a strength of 22% or more, then the iSDR will stop but their attack will press on and cause damage.

If your iSDR is weaker (i.e. slower), say it's 6% (quite slow and/or stale), then an opponent's (ground, not aerial) attack only needs to do 13% or more in order to beat it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I believe the clank rules were like:

<10% difference - both clang
>=10% difference - stronger move keeps going, first loses.

^ ground moves
There are some aerial exceptions, like destructible projectiles, and things like MK's glide attack, but in those cases, the weaker attack in the air won't clank, it just loses its attack ability.

iSDR isn't transcendent until it goes into midair and becomes an airdash, so I'd imagine yes - if the move in question WOULD clank, then iSDR CAN lose.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I mean if the iSDR isn't moving at ALL and has no hitbox. Like what happens when you iSDR on parts of pictochat and PS1. You iSDR in one spot for 2 seconds with no hitbox. No hitbox=no clash=completely invincible right?

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think 10 was more of a rule of thumb. I'll take KID's word on it though. It seems specific enough lol

infomon

Smash Scientist
Someone should re-test, cuz I'm pretty sure I tested it myself at one point and found it to be 10. But my memory might be lying.

_Dice

Smash Ace
I was fooling around one game pretty much just randomly pressing buttons and I got something that ended up looking like a vertical spinshot. a rapid acceleration upwards and slightly arc'd in the direction of my spin, using up both my jumps but i got to the height of a little bit higher than a double jump, and a bit quicker. i said i wanted to save the replay, but forgot to 7 minutes later when the match ended.

is there an explanation for what the hell this was? i've never seen anything like that. did i see something that didn't happen. I'm too new to the game and sonic to be able to judge that.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I was fooling around one game pretty much just randomly pressing buttons and I got something that ended up looking like a vertical spinshot. a rapid acceleration upwards and slightly arc'd in the direction of my spin, using up both my jumps but i got to the height of a little bit higher than a double jump, and a bit quicker. i said i wanted to save the replay, but forgot to 7 minutes later when the match ended.

is there an explanation for what the hell this was? i've never seen anything like that. did i see something that didn't happen. I'm too new to the game and sonic to be able to judge that.
Press A during the charge?

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh God here it comes.

Let me make it simple for you/give you my opinion.

Falco.

Brinstar.

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
ICs on Yoshi's Island.

Just pivot garbz yo.

Though tbh its MK on Brinstar. And to save you some time thats the answer for every character in the game.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Pretty bad. Some would call it one of Sonic's worst match-ups alongside the likes of Lucario.

I don't mind it that much, but I do know how tough it can be.

Life

Smash Hero
60-40 +1 Falco apparently. I have this sneaking suspicion like it could be improved, but as it stands now, Falco's got a solid advantage.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's closer to even than I originally thought. It's just one of those MUs you need to go in with the right experience and mindset.

Lucario is still one helluva b****, no matter what.

Life

Smash Hero
Brinstar is generally worst due to uneven floor (though smallness of stage helps the kill issue). Picto/YI:B are generally best (due to iSDR). Varies from matchup to matchup tho--Diddy/Falco might not be so hot on Picto for instance--but Sonic is flexible and you can take them to RC or something and be fine.

Publix

Smash Apprentice
Hey Homies! I'm a G&W main who's teaming with a Sick Nasty Sonic player.
ANY TEAM TACTICS WITH GAMEN WATCH? all we got so far is your dthrow to my usmash

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Y'know how Sonic can do that semi-footstool from his "helpless" animation on people from the ledge after using a Spring?

Are there any special buttons or timing that I need to use that's different from a regular footstool so that I can do it?

At the Smashfest Wednesday I was caught in a position where I needed to recover low or die, but when I got to ledge and attempted to footstool the edgehogger, I just fell. I want to know if I just had poor timing at that moment.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Y'know how Sonic can do that semi-footstool from his "helpless" animation on people from the ledge after using a Spring?

Are there any special buttons or timing that I need to use that's different from a regular footstool so that I can do it?

At the Smashfest Wednesday I was caught in a position where I needed to recover low or die, but when I got to ledge and attempted to footstool the edgehogger, I just fell. I want to know if I just had poor timing at that moment.
it's just a spacing issue, you were probably a little too low to footstool off his head. I just mashed the jump button when I needed to recover by footstooling an edgehogger and it never failed me a single time. That being said, there's also a trick where you can spring->footstool->another spring. Never really tried it against an edgehogger but just imagine your opponent thinking he's going to edgehog you then die to a spring stage spike.

Hey Homies! I'm a G&W main who's teaming with a Sick Nasty Sonic player.
ANY TEAM TACTICS WITH GAMEN WATCH? all we got so far is your dthrow to my usmash
I partnered with a couple G&W players back in the day, we would usually try funny bucket shenanigans. Against some baddies we were able to dthrow into a bucket for some good laughs. We tried dthrow into usmash and got destroyed for it because the guy knew how to tech sonic's dthrow and dsmashed me afterwards because I wasn't expecting it... lost us the match.

Main thing that worked well for us was juggling snake in the air between us, sonic's air game complements G&W's air game and if you 2v1 a snake it can lead to a quick victory.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If it isn't being too low, you also have to consider that the opponent can time their edgehog invincibility and regardless of how high up you are you cannot footstool your opponent if they're invincible.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Sonic boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

Life

Smash Hero
It's linked in the Matchup thread.

Basically, we're all over the place on it. I think it's even at worst for Sonic. A couple people seem to think ROB is a hard counter. Another handful think it's slight disadvantage. We never really agreed on anything IIRC.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Flying metal Bowser loses to Sonic same as spikey regular Bowser imo.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Okay I'll go there, thank you.

Edit: Saw it now, I would say 55:45 R.O.B.'s favour, do you agree with me?

Mikey Vengeance

Smash Rookie
Terminology

I'm not sure what DJ means? Do you know of any sites or a link on this site that lists terminology? I couldn't find anything useful on Google.

And thanks a lot for answering my question, I looked everywhere to find useful momentum canceling techniques, but couldn't find any. I'm glad that I can get answers like that from people like you who don't mind helping out players trying to get better. I've played smash bros for years now, but just started learning advanced techniques. It's good to know I can get answers from experienced players.

The fair/spin dash is a great tip! I just don't know what you mean by DJ. Also, if there's anything else you think I should know I would love to hear it.

Haha XD
Also, I love your name ;]

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
I got owned at my last tourney by a Snake player and I was wondering if any one here could give me some tips on what to do against Snake. I would also like to know what stages I should ban/counterpick.

Top Bottom