• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't spring to dair. I have played Sonic quite some time now. I just mostly end up abusing spindash cancels and stuff too much and forget my spacing and I get predictable and lose. When starting Sonic, what are the important things to do? I know pretty much everything about Sonic, but I lack experience.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
You just want to start out attempting to master his ATs.
ASC, ASCSC, spindash cancels (you already know this apparently), ddp, spinshot, try to work on spindash footstools, and learn the jablock setup in case you ever get a chance to use it. You want to mix up some of his ATs to mindgame your opponents either to approach or to force them into making a move that you can read and punish. Sonic is mostly mindgames and punishing.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Deadly accurate post.
Can't say this enough.

You can have all the hat tricks in the world and it wouldn't make a difference if you don't know when to use them. If you can't force your opponent to do stuff that's punishable, they will eventually overpower you with brute force. Sonic can't match it, so he does it through all the shenanigans he has.

But here's a little something for you. Whenever you get a chance, if your problem is that you're that worried about abusing Sonic's ATs to the point where it's costing you, why not turn off your Specials on your control scheme? Go at it bare bones with just his attacks, jump, and shield. I wouldn't expect to win, but the goal is to see how much damage you can do.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Or rack up damage?
Or fake out an approach?
Or have a guaranteed counterpick?
Or have a potential KO setup?
Or approach Falco?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's just that it's really hard to approach with Sonic at all. It's so different from MK, he gets beaten by everything. So how does the approach work for Sonic? I still have to master his mobility.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
generally, you dont approach. You pretend, and you make them think youre going to approach, and than you punish whatever they used to stuff the approach of yours that never came, get it?

otherwise, its really hard to approach against other peoples attacks, but sonic approaching on shield is amazing.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, Sonic's all about the fake-outs. He has a lot of "gimmicks" but really the only major thing you need to learn off-the-bat is how to use the spindash cancels effectively.

Sonics tend to fall into a "rhythm" with the spindashes, where the opponent knows when the sonic will release it. That's bad; make sure you mact them react early or hold their shield too long (or whatever they do on-reaction when you start a spindash). Also, don't spam spindash to the point where you're doing it while the opponent is too close to you so he can hit you as you're charging it; that's always sad.

Actually, try not to use spindashes all that much. More important I think is to make sure you're getting those grabs with your ridiculous running speed.

SH bair is very good, too.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I tried abusing my running speed today. It worked quite well. I improved a lot today. I used spindash stuff a lot more effectively and used my aerials well. I tried that fakeout stuff too a lot of course.

Man he is one hard character to use!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Worst idea ever. Sonic can't succeed without spindash. It's a well-known fact.
Plus how the hell would he recover? Lol
Or rack up damage?
Or fake out an approach?
Or have a guaranteed counterpick?
Or have a potential KO setup?
Or approach Falco?
Perhaps Espy was just getting in on the act, but why not try proofreading?

I wouldn't expect to win, but the goal is to see how much damage you can do.
Some characters do not have the luxury of a good recovery. In which case, practice your DI so you don't get sent so far offstage. Or how about reserving that second jump? When something good is taken away from you, you tend to improvise.

:093:

Reyney

Smash Apprentice
hi im pretty new to sawnic.
i picked him up because hes just so much fun to play and pretty much the contrast of a character compared to my main.

im lurking here around for some days now , but couldnt find an answer to my question.

how do you decide wich areal you use to combo into, after SDJ ?
do you consider, at what spacing you hit your enemy?
is it the %?
do you read the DI?
oder react to it?
is it character dependent?

Tenki

Smash Hero
hi im pretty new to sawnic.
i picked him up because hes just so much fun to play and pretty much the contrast of a character compared to my main.

im lurking here around for some days now , but couldnt find an answer to my question.

how do you decide wich areal you use to combo into, after SDJ ?
do you consider, at what spacing you hit your enemy?
is it the %?
do you read the DI?
oder react to it?
is it character dependent?
Well, usually it's "which move do I want to follow up with?", since the habit for most people is to buffer / do the move immediately after SDR hits.

if you U-air it sends above, if you F-air, they can SDI/DI down to escape (but if they don't, it does the most damage). N-air is single hit so it's reliable if you want a certain amount of damage, but you can't really follow it up if you're doing it while rising.

SDR > B-air is close to a true combo at kill %'s, assuming they don't DI away or something, so if you have an unstale spindash, you might even wanna try that lol.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I just started playing Brawl for the first time since I got off for winter vacation, and while I was playing CPUs, I realized I still have a certain habit I do a lot with friends: Utilting when I'm in close quarters. The motion is so automatic to me that I don't even realize I've done it until Sonic starts doing the second kick.

How viable of an option of this at close quarters? It's fast, it can reliably get the opponent away from me as opposed to the Jab combo it has fairly decent knockback if only to get the opponent out of my face, it does 14-11% most of the time, I just think it's reliable. Or would Dash Attack and grabs be more reliable options?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I just started playing Brawl for the first time since I got off for winter vacation, and while I was playing CPUs, I realized I still have a certain habit I do a lot with friends: Utilting when I'm in close quarters. The motion is so automatic to me that I don't even realize I've done it until Sonic starts doing the second kick.

How viable of an option of this at close quarters? It's fast, it can reliably get the opponent away from me as opposed to the Jab combo it has fairly decent knockback if only to get the opponent out of my face, it does 14-11% most of the time, I just think it's reliable. Or would Dash Attack and grabs be more reliable options?
Are you really talking about Sonic's Utilt? its ending lag is terribly punishable, and its horizontal range is dismal. It's good for anti-air e.g. against a low-flying peach, but in general I find that our jab combo (if it finishes) does enough knockback that it's worthwhile as a gtfo and it will hit more reliably (frame 3 vs. frame 6), and isn't really as punishable.

*shrug* yeah, my vote's dash-attack and jab, though utilt has its place. Try not to do anything by auto-pilot ;)

BSP

Smash Legend
Don't U tilt unless you're sure it's going to hit, or you're getting punished.

I've noticed Sonics have been doing jab 1, then running away. Any specific reason for it? My guess is that you don't think it'll link, and you'll get punished.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Don't U tilt unless you're sure it's going to hit, or you're getting punished.

I've noticed Sonics have been doing jab 1, then running away. Any specific reason for it? My guess is that you don't think it'll link, and you'll get punished.
That's just to throw people off. Usually a jab1 is followed with either the full jab combo or a delayed tilt or grab. Running away is something unexpected and throw off their chain of thought/prediction.

If you foxtrot away, it can be enough to get them to shield (holding shield as a response to a jab combo) and unshield, and in that time, you might be able to DDP and come back in with another attack while they're like "huh, he didn't continue the atta- fuu"

Yikarur

Smash Master
I usually use shield cancelled grabs or spin charge cancel to grab :D
His Dash Grab is awful D:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Every time I use his dashgrab I lol. I guess I try shield cancelled grabs as his dash to shield is good.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres no time where you could dash grab where you couldnt dash shield grab, but sometimes its a timing issue, where you want to delay the grab just a tiny bit to grab somebody as their falling or w/e. but for the most part you guys got it right.

and yika, I want vids or ur sonic.

Yikarur

Smash Master
my Sonic is a beginner Sonic that toally sucks ._. I don't have the follow-ups down yet up upair OoS is broken as hell :p

Yikarur

Smash Master
fuuuuuuuuuuu :(

Sonics uair OoS is amazing, it has large hitboxes to both sides and is really fast!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
doenst hit small characters tho. and it doesnt have much combo ability and doesnt do much damage.

its hits people in a lot of situations, but you cant do anything with it. shieldgrab and drop shield turnaround grab are FAR better options.

OH!
dash grab is good out of shield when people hit you with laggy attacks that are strong and push you away, or have a lot of range. like ddds f tilt, and mks down smash.

Yikarur

Smash Master
uair OoS hits every char as long as their not crouching.
It's Sonics fastest OoS Option beside Grab with a really good range.
Shield Drop Turnarround Grab is 13 frames "fast" and has less range.
and why no combo ability? it lunches the opponent in the air, thats a good thing :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
are you completely sure up air oos hits pikachu and squirtle? and its very very hard to hit mk with, and a lot of the time even if you do hit him, it hits with the tipper hit that doesnt combo into the second hit.

grab range isnt a huge issue since running speed makes up for it. and also, grab is always a better punish because it does way more damage, and actually sets up for other moves.

a lot of the time it knocks them too far into the air t pressure them further, not to mention a good number of characters (falco, mk, peach, marth,) beat sonic in the air out right so putting them in the air isnt an amazing position.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its his FASTEST punish, but at the same time its his least effective one.

grab is his medium speed punish but it does great damage and sets up for a lot of sonic game.

spindash is a VERY under used and slow punish but like grab, it does great daamge and sets up for other things.

smash attacks are his slowest punish but are also the best for when you need kills.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
What is the fastest way to pummel?

How many pummels are usually recommended at low, medium and high percentages?

Tenki

Smash Hero
if you're playing offline, just figure out around when you can buffer the grab attack in training mode. It's usually around when his foot is retracting, I think?

All things considered, buffering is the fastest way to get attacks out in Brawl lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I was under the impression that you can't buffer jabs, you just have to have a correct rhythm. Not sure where I read that though.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If you mash pummels they only count as one move so they keep stale, really bad for Sonic!
Also, it's hard to get more than 2 pummels at any reasonable % against a good opponent.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If spindash damage is determined by how fast you are going, that means weaker attacks can beat iSDR right? So if I do an iSDR that isn't moving at all and doesn't have a hitbox, does that mean anything can beat it or that nothing can beat it?

Top Bottom