• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
uh huh...o_ o

Um...spindash to bair is a true combo? I thought DI'ing into the spindash makes it so bair cant hit you. Some clarification on this? When i play sonic dittos (which I do alot, you guys know that), i'd just DI into the spindash if im going to get hit by it and the bair misses. Or if they side b me, I DI away because that isnt gonna hit me lol. But honestly, i need to know for sure. Is it Character dependent?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Then I went to a tournament, and the Ness part of me got *****.
I assume the culprit was a flamboyant man wearing a tiara.

uh huh...o_ o

Um...spindash to bair is a true combo? I thought DI'ing into the spindash makes it so bair cant hit you. Some clarification on this? When i play sonic dittos (which I do alot, you guys know that), i'd just DI into the spindash if im going to get hit by it and the bair misses. Or if they side b me, I DI away because that isnt gonna hit me lol. But honestly, i need to know for sure. Is it Character dependent?
Could be character dependent, but I'm also fairly certain that it is DI-dependent too. Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't end up working all the time, I myself don't expect it to work... only because I expect my opponents to know better...

BSP

Smash Legend
But hey, some people still think that spotdodging will mess up Sonic's HA stall. You never know, you could get lucky.

It would be nice if we had some actual conformation on SD to *aerial* true combos at higher damages.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So an unusually obese princess resorts to touching little boys? O_o

Uhm actually though, I came here because I had something that I wanted to ask:

Does anybody else find Sonic's >100% ledge get-up attack strangely fascinating? Like his <100% Ledge get-up for some reason is just abysmal, and I'm not sure why the other one is just infinitely better. Is it really the double hit, or is there something else to it that escapes me?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I believe his get up post 100% is indeed a double hit, Kinzer.
I'd have to check first to be 100% sure though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I know it's a double hit.

But there's gotta be something more to it than that that just makes me love it.

Does it have some kind of shield-poke properties to it or something? I wonder if it's just people letting go of the shield-button too soon or something.

Is there any other character with a double-hit ledge get-up? My knowledge on other characters is limited, but I can't recall one ATM even if I tried.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That's it though, for some reason it's such a good move but I haven't been intentionally abusing what properties it has, and I should start.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Well, I'd imagine after the other guy catches on about how it hits, he might just stand back a little further and punish it as they would most other ledge get up attacks. I don't see it being that reliable, but an options an option.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
My mains are kirby, lucas and jigglypuff. Snake ****s on all 3 of them. Does Sonic have better luck with them than the three I mentioned? I don't want to use high tier characters and I <3 Sega and Sonic so Im picking him up anyways.

Also can someone link me to Sonic's MU ratios (if they arent dated)

thanks

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Uhm, most of us would probably tell you that the MU is 6:4 in Favor of Snake. Some would argue that it's only a 55:45 advantage if you're talking about ratios, or either way just a slight advantage. Perhaps some would say it's even but that breed of hedgehogs are more rare than the former. No one has yet to say that Snake is an unwinnable matchup, just that Sonic will obviously have to work a lot to avoid getting hit, killed, and deal double the damage/double the effort in getting that kill. The latter is easier said than done.

There's also no point in us giving you the compendium of MU ratios, since those are most likely outdated, and still to this day highly disputed. If you'd like for me, or anybody else that address your potential follow-up question, to give you a general breakdown, feel free to ask.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
1. youre better off sticking with kirby.
2. get the fk outta here SNO hoe. nobody likes you
3. make me a sammich.
dang this basement dwelling teenie bopper dissing me.

I'm willing to work with Sonic even if he is limited. My Kirby is just so terrible against Snake, any change will do. And like I said, I want to play Sonic because im a huge Sega fan. Are there any updated MU help?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
but i dont use them in tournies, only kirby. ;) (unless low tier obsv.) And i was kidding about that hence my edit. I <3 Sonic and respect the people who use him, he isn't easy. Now answer my question before I report your nonsense again. This is the Q and A topic, and im seriously considering picking up Sonic. There is no place for your childish pathetic attempts at trolling here. Please grow up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
fine fine fine. ya big baby...

you just ask in the sonic general discussion thread and we'll help you with the snake matchup then and there.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
fine fine fine. ya big baby...

you just ask in the sonic general discussion thread and we'll help you with the snake matchup then and there.
lol. Ok thanks. But you say I should stick with Kirby. This is not going to work with me. My ex could easily beat my Kirby with his awful Snake. But my Jigglypuff could beat his Snake. That's how bad my Kirby is against Snake lol. It's just a match up problem I have.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If I have the right terminology, platform canceling is referring to using the edge of a platform (or in some cases even the main part of the stage) to cancel the ending lag of an aerial by sliding off; and usually afterwards following it up into a special attack, or a double-jump aerial. It becomes especially apparent with Wario due to his aerial speed and acceleration the way this works, for example:

this.

Err actually, now that I think about it, that may not be the best example, since all that video is showing is that Wario has the right stats to move back and forth from ground to air on an even-leveled platform, but I hope that gives you a basic idea. With Sonic, your best bet is to go with Bair, since Sonic moves in such a strange way when he swings his leg out there and junk.

Now if I'm thinking of something else that is called platform cancelling, I really don't know. Take a look into my thread "We oguht to look at some things," I'm sure somebody/ a group of people have talked about it and gone into fine detail with it.

If you don't want to though, I believe the way it is done is by using the shield to buffer a drop-down off a platform. Yeah sorry I really don't know much about that other action, but that may not be referred to as "Platform-canceling" if I have my techs mixed up.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Platform cancel is when you cancel a rising jump into an instant land on a moving platform.

I believe the mechanic behind it has something to do with jumping through the platform while holding [Down], and releasing it at a certain point in the jump (forgot the exact point, but it's before the feet go above the platform for most characters).

Some people do this by inputting a D-air (C-stick down), and some people feel like the snap is easier to get if you airdodge.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Platform cancel is when you cancel a rising jump into an instant land on a moving platform.

I believe the mechanic behind it has something to do with jumping through the platform while holding [Down], and releasing it at a certain point in the jump (forgot the exact point, but it's before the feet go above the platform for most characters).

Some people do this by inputting a D-air (C-stick down), and some people feel like the snap is easier to get if you airdodge.
Wait a second...

What am I thinking of then? ;_;

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I didnt read your definition completely but i think youre refering to what a ledge cancel is in melee, in brawl the physics are different so its much harder to do that, and i dont think you can do it on purpose.

Tenki

Smash Hero
somewhat related,
what's this recently-brought-up platform drop through thing and how is it actually done? :3

I've done it before, but accidentally.

Tesh

Smash Hero
platform dropping oos? It takes somewhat precise timing and a slight input on the control stick.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Question: Why has Smash Boards, and more importantly the Sonic boards, become increasingly huge douchebags about what can and can not have a new thread? There is not a ton of new threads being made anymore at all so it's not like the board is being flooded, just a few every once in a while with some topic or a small question. As soon as they are made, we insta-lock them and tell them to go talk about it in a thread that already exists. Then we leave the thread sitting there. So, we stop them from taking up space by making a "unnecessary" thread and then we leave it there taking up space. At that point, why not just leave it open and advise them not to make a new thread next time? Oh a potential new Sonic player asking a simple question such as tap jump on/off? in the wrong place? Let's be incredibly stand-off-ish and elitist and be a total **** to him so he will want to come back.

Tesh

Smash Hero
MM thats a stupid question, why are you even trying to main Sonic asking a question like that?

Also that question is not related to gameplay at all, it belongs in a social. Next time don't post a social question in the gameplay FAQ or I will have to report your post and have you infracted.

You are taking up space in this important thread.

Trillion

Smash Ace
MM thats a stupid question, why are you even trying to main Sonic asking a question like that?

Also that question is not related to gameplay at all, it belongs in a social. Next time don't post a social question in the gameplay FAQ or I will have to report your post and have you infracted.

You are taking up space in this important thread.

OMG You are SO right. I AM such a noob. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. Your response has just turned me into a much better Sonic player and a much more effective member of the SWF and Sonic boards community!

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
First of all, I didn't even close that thread. After I left it open for someone to answer him, or him to add more detail another mod closed it.

Secondly, I'm stickying this thread for a while mainly for the OP.

And finally, Tesh is correct. If you're going to rant about crap or something so insubstantial then do it in the social thread. You're just taking up space.

Trillion

Smash Ace
First of all, I didn't even close that thread. After I left it open for someone to answer him, or him to add more detail another mod closed it.

Secondly, I'm stickying this thread for a while mainly for the OP.

And finally, Tesh is correct. If you're going to rant about crap or something so insubstantial then do it in the social thread. You're just taking up space.

Dude, chill out. I didn't specifically point a finger at you or any other mod nor was I trying to imply anything about you or anyone else in particular. As I said, this is happening all over SWF. I'm also not questioning that certain threads should be stickyed.

I feel that this is not at all insubstantial, but very important to the Smash Boards Community as a whole and to our own board as well. Also, I thought that Tesh was satirically agreeing with me and was including the social thread thing as a joke. However, if you really want to start being a jerk, then I will point out that this thread's title and description do not specify that the questions asked here have to be regarding gameplay, but rather simply states that if you have a question and it relates to Sonic to ask it here, so I am well within the range of the topic of this thread.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I agree 100% with magnificentmarth

this trend started awhile ago; mods thought it was important for them to close threads whenever they thought it was finished. who knows why? It used to happen regularly where someone would ask a question, then someone would answer it WRONG, and then the thread would be closed before I was able to continue the discussion with relevant, factual information.

There's no reason to close a thread unless it's degenerating into spam or whatnot. Also, there are a lot of things that should be discussed in their own threads, but are for some reason redirected to the General Discussion, which is now a hodgepodge of all discussion.

:054:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Eh yeah, you're going to find out sooner or later that everything outside this sub-forum kind of sucks. It's best not to bother.

And even then, Chis admitted he didn't lock the thread himself.

Who did though? I'd like to know, I thought that's why we had our own personal moderator; and he's done a fine job so far... :/

Also, looks like you've become acquainted with Tesh. Try not to take him too seriously, he means no harm.

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Sonic's downB beats Olimar's usmash based on the color.
I know for sure that Sonic's downB can't beat purple, but that it beats other colors just fine.

Top Bottom