• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
**** it all.

- UpSmash is almost useless
- BDacus doesn't change the range or speed enough to justify the usage of it over a regular DACUS.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Okay so I am a Snake main that has always had an interest in Sonic. He was my favorite video game icon growing up, and in Brawl I've always thought he had a lot of untapped potential. I think he may be beneficial because of the lack of Sonic knowledge but I think he'd be a lot of fun. I need to know from you guys whether you think it's worth it and what kind of road blocks I would face from attempting to use Sonic in a competitive scene?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You are much better off using other characters that already have their metagame reached. Sonic is a difficult character use in competitive play simply because the players behind him still have much to learn; about themselves and learning how to control Sonic, and if you fall under that criteria you will have many problems using him until you can get rid of every fault in your gameplay. By then though, you'd be putting a better investment into a better character. Only reason I could see you using Sonic is if you really are serious when you say that he was/still is your favorite video game character, and/or you are interested in helping develop Sonic's metagame.

Tesh

Smash Hero
What are some good stages for timing people out as Sonic besides PS1? I like Delfino personally, but I was wondering if anyone else had good strategies elsewhere for wasting time.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Of course you're asking about legal stages, right?

Well, I don't see why Smashville can't be a good "time-out" stage.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I've only timed someone out intentionally once on smashville by just rolling under the stage all game. Whats good about it for timing people out? Its not really that special if you aren't Pit or Metaknight I'd think.

I thought even RC might be good (its pretty easy to camp the entire boat portion anyway) if I can play a good keep away game. You can hide offscreen at alot of odd times.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
tipper dtilt>bdacus is a true combo if not close framewise at mid percents. ppl spaced at between sh and fh get owned by hyphen smash due to its weird hurtbox. it isnt the greatest move, but its not useless thats for sure. As KID said ftilt>bdacus good mid percents heck even full jab>bdacus mid-late is good because of the hitstun they are in.

So quick question; KID told me the other day we can ASC>footstool>ff any aerial. I was trying it out myself and it was working quite a bit however i wanted to get a conformation regarding if it works. Because i was also able to ASC>footstool>ff ASC> uair. It worked when i ff and started asc right as i would make contact with the opponent and release. I mean it makes sense to me that u should be able ff ASC if u can ff an aerial (granted the timing is tighter becuz the ASC has to be release at a strict timing otherwise its too slow). Can anyone verify this?

EDIT: I dont know why ppl are saying bdacus doesnt start up faster. 1) its buffered 2) this means usmash is being activated as we move toward our opponent, whereas hyphen smash we are running before the move is started up. Those two factors alone make it faster. Unless im missing something that seems pretty blatant to me...

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Ok I was wondering if anyone tries to do an ASC shield cancel on a downed opponent in order to bait them into standing up or doing a get up attack then grabbing them. If anyone does this, can you tell me how well it works on a competitive level? (I know a jab lock is another option, but I suck at jab locks :urg: )

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Of course though, you can take advantage of predicting their get-up attack, ASCSC just outside of attack range, and go from there. :) It all depends on what your opponent does in a given situation.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
what snake are u playing where they do the second ftilt for no reason? get that ishh outta here. punish them when they pull a nade with fair ( doesnt explode the nade) or grab. then profit. they make it back. rinse and repeat. learn to space uair in this matchup. landing shff uair and punishing ADs resulting from it win this matchup. We can follow snake ANYWHERE. dont ever leave him alone. we should combo the legendary mercenary like a play toy.

This matchup is seriously even in my eyes. snake has no forward aerial to utilize and no dair to scare us with. in the air we outspeed him frontally and underneath we outrange. We can always land camp him with our speed. Uair stupid b-reversals. its a wrap. If ur not hitting snake at least 3 times after u land an initial attack. ur doing it wrong.

AND WE HAVE A FREAKIN KILL. Its called offstage> bair. u play this match like a campy *******; space urself mid range to punish anything he does. combo. reset. u win.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
what snake are u playing where they do the second ftilt for no reason? get that ishh outta here. punish them when they pull a nade with fair ( doesnt explode the nade) or grab. then profit. they make it back. rinse and repeat. learn to space uair in this matchup. landing shff uair and punishing ADs resulting from it win this matchup. We can follow snake ANYWHERE. dont ever leave him alone. we should combo the legendary mercenary like a play toy.

This matchup is seriously even in my eyes. snake has no forward aerial to utilize and no dair to scare us with. in the air we outspeed him frontally and underneath we outrange. We can always land camp him with our speed. Uair stupid b-reversals. its a wrap. If ur not hitting snake at least 3 times after u land an initial attack. ur doing it wrong.

AND WE HAVE A FREAKIN KILL. Its called offstage> bair. u play this match like a campy *******; space urself mid range to punish anything he does. combo. reset. u win.
Man your snakes must suck if you think you can just hit Snake and he just won't pull a Grenade to hit you both and then B-air you with a trollface.

Snake is Sonic's hardest matchup IMO.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But if he's serious about it, then he's seriously wrong, which makes it funnier.
Snake's a difficult match up, but my god KID, he's one of the easiest match ups in the top tier cast.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
First of all, based on definition, Metaknight is the easiest matchup in the top tier. since hes THE ONLY character in the top tier.

but ill ignore your blatent ignorance =P
just A tier in descending order from easiest to hardest for sonic to fight

Diddy
Marth
Falco
Snake
Wario
ICs

Including b tier
Game and Watch
Pikachu
Diddy
Marth
DDD
Olimar/Lucario/Falco
Snake
Wario
ICs

Needless to say, I disagree with your synopsis.

Trent

Smash Champion
I see it more as, from easiest to hardest:

Pikachu
Diddy
Game&Watch
Dedede
Olimar
ICs
Snake
Lucario
Falco
Wario

The only ones giving me trouble, being Lucario, Falco, Wario, and Diddy (Only because I still suck with nanners..)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wow. And you say I'm ignorant.

ICs are definitely not our hardest matchup in A-tier.

We can throw incorrect lists (mine below included) around all day, but hell, I'll do it just for the sake of doing it. Same format as your silly list:

ICs
Wario
Snake
Diddy/Marth
Falco

Including B-Tier:
Mr. Game & Watch
Pikachu
King Dedede
ICs/Olimar
Wario
Snake
Diddy/Marth
Falco/Lucario.

Disagree, because you're going to, but I find it delicious that you think Wario is that hard.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol. malcolm is a legit auto lose for any sonic in tourney.

maybe when a sonic even comes close to beating him in a tourney ill rethink the idea of wario not being that hard.

falco and marth really arent that hard, you just have to be patient.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
also, I only called you ignorant based on the fact that you used the term top tier while refering to a character not named MK, while being in the back room.

lol @ patience against wario.

play it slow and give him a chance to charge up his invincible move that can kill you at 80

i mean, you have to be patient at some points, but still the strategy hurts you as much as it helps you.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Aww man, i missed it. :(
Oh well, you guys already know what i think of Sonic's MUs anyway. Or you should.

I have a question. Why is Malcolm auto-death? I know its somewhat obvious, but why? And other people too. Like X can never win vs Tearbear. Everytime they play, Tearbear always gets the upper hand. When you lose, it just means you were outplayed, right? Maybe you were too aggro? Predictable? I just dont understand it. Patience...i have patience but it has to be something else.

Top Bottom