• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I do it purely out of instinct.
Ok, when i say this, i mean THIS.
I never think of anything besides Dash-Grab or Dash-Attack out of Bair from 0-20%
When it gets higher, i go for SD, Jab-Lock, SH-Fair, or Pivot-Grab to punish an airdodge attempt.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Isn't it better just up throwing him like you guys should do to every other character?

More damage, better positioning, etc.

It's good to have options. The more you mix things up, the better your results will be. If you always do grab to up throw, then they will start DI-ing and air dodging or attacking to try to stop your follow up. If you use a grab release then they were getting ready to do something that never happened, which could cause them to react poorly and make a mistake that leads to something even better.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I don't see why Sonic's don't use more throws anyways.

I don't think I ever use one throw as a "dominant" throw.
Even bthrow onto the level puts the enemy at a different position that you can exploit.

Granted, it's not something that should always be encouraged.

Also, one pummel + one throw = 10%+
It's practically the equivalent of a Dedede doing a bthrow to you, and functions as an excellent method to raise damage.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Here's a little strategy I use sometimes. At low percents and even mid percents, sometimes i just grab and up throw instantly without pummeling. Then at the higher percents, the opponent is expecting the same thing, so they instinctively just start holding to the side looking to DI the throw so that i don't follow up. But, then i just pummel and land like six pummels while they stand there not reacting because they are waiting to DI.

This can be especially helpful if you know that you have a hard time killing a certain character. You get them up to near kill percent, land about another 10% in pummels and then up throw them to finish them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Up throw is the best throw because its the easiest to follow up on and it does the most damage.

F throw is for when people learn how ot react to up throw better.

Back throw is ok at putting people off stage.

Down throw is an alright tech chase option.

one pummel and one throw is 15% for up throw and 11% for all other throws.
DDDs pummel and back throw does almost 20.

how is that equivalent?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Never once did I say that the Dedede pummeled, KID.
Read carefully next time.

And I also said it's practically the equivalent (16%).
Being ~5% off the target isn't much for a single string. Eating 11% and being put in a terrible position is pretty decent.

Besides, two pummels more or less does the trick anyways.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If were going to assume the sonic is pummeling, and your talking about things being "equivalent" why wouldnt you assume the ddd is doing the same?

sure, ddds pummel is slow and getting 2 or 3 out might be a stretch, but pummel to back throw for him isnt out of the ordinary at all...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Because I can KID.

Because I can.

I think you're just upset that you didn't read what I said properly.
You know what happens when you assume.

If you read over it again, all I really said was:

1 Sonic Pummel + Throw = potentially 1 Dedede bthrow.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yup, you're totally just upset.
It's okay KID. It's perfectly healthy to admit that you made a false assumption.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
all the good sonics are randomly douchy/trolly for no reason.

thats the real reason malcolm and shugo quit him, they were too nice of guys.

and espy, your attempts to troll make me giggle.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You obviously don't know me and KID well enough, Fizzie.
That's just my way of telling KID that I love him.

Edit: Wait, that was trolling?

Internet quality's really gone downhill if what I did is defined as "trolling".

Malcolm and Shugo wanted money.

Trent

Smash Champion
I dunno if it's just me, but whenever I grab someone, I try to pummel them at least once, and during the first pummel, I actually look away from the television to look at my opponent's controller.

A lot of the time they're already in position to DI, not trying to break out, so I just keep pummeling until they start to mash buttons, then I throw.

If the opponent starts off mashing buttons, depending on their % I throw accordingly.

Unless it's Ally, I'd just throw him right off the bat at 200%. That guy breaks out like a champ.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
anyone know any response to G&W's recovery? Seems everything I throw out gets hit by an up-b or misses because of the wind of his up-b.

On the grab/pummel issue I'm conditioned to get in 1 pummel even at 0% so when I face someone who gets out at low % it throws me off. The only character that I'll look at their controller with is wario to see if he hits up so I can grab release. Other than that I just call out the character's traditional DI until I learn that player's habits.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
all the good sonics are randomly douchy/trolly for no reason.

thats the real reason malcolm and shugo quit him, they were too nice of guys.

and espy, your attempts to troll make me giggle.
(Not saying i am, im going off of what people say) I dont troll...nor do i act mean towards others. D:

But i just go with that people do. If they dont mash out, i'll pummel. If they do, i'll just do a random throw. Random throws...they sometimes throw people off. Fthrow>Spring>uair KID combo 2.0?

I dunno if it's just me, but whenever I grab someone, I try to pummel them at least once, and during the first pummel, I actually look away from the television to look at my opponent's controller.

A lot of the time they're already in position to DI, not trying to break out, so I just keep pummeling until they start to mash buttons, then I throw.

If the opponent starts off mashing buttons, depending on their % I throw accordingly.

Unless it's Ally, I'd just throw him right off the bat at 200%. That guy breaks out like a champ.
Interesting. No joking about the ally thing though. Neil too. O_o

ITT, uh...i have no solid answer for you, its...weird and kinda hard for me to explain. And i'd rather not give you some info that wouldnt help. :s

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
anyone know any response to G&W's recovery? Seems everything I throw out gets hit by an up-b or misses because of the wind of his up-b.

You have 3 options vs G watchs recovery.

1. Stay on the stage and do nothing.
This is the safest option and you should be doing this the most. Lets be real, his up b is darn near broken. alot of the time its just stupid and pointless to try to do anything with it.

1b. Bair above the stage when he up bs.
this is similar to the do nothing idea, because youre still on stage and very safe. but you just basically pretend that theres no auto ledge snap and put a hitbox where his up b would actually end, if it werent stopped by the ledge snap. every once in a while they will up b past the ledge and on to the stage and this will whomp them for it.

2. Grab the ledge.
You have to time your ledgegrab for your invincibility to beat the up b. and then g watch will be forced on stage (or will just die, if he up bd from too low), where you can possibly punish him. if not, your better than him anyway and youd rather fight on stage.

3. Go out reeeeeealy far and try to gimp.
this is super risky but sometimes if they dont expect it, you can get really far offstage, and fair them before the get in position to up b. and if you can pull that off. theres usually a big reward for it.

Trillion

Smash Ace
Trying to hit G&W on his way back to the stage almost always fails for me. I think KID basically has it down right there. I have the same problem in that I can't do hardly a thing to stop G&W, but I don't think there is much you can do anyway.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
We're always at peace, KID.
What're you talking about?

Felicia is probably what you'd get if you combined Taokaka with Sonic.
Excellent.

Felicia's all I need in MvC3, but god, I'm really gunning for Amerterasu to be a playable.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why can't I buffer a shield when iSDR hits tornado?

Is there a list somewhere of every place iSDR is possible?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Probably because Tornado has hitboxes that come out faster than 1 frame. I wouldn't be surprised if that were actually right, I do not know why a shield doesn't work right after a clank unless the animation itself has lag.

As for a list of where it's possible... good luck with that; Tails just found out that it's actually possible to do in transformations so the list may just very well be more than the obvious Picto and Yoshi's...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
clanking definitely does have an animation with lag to it, so nado will hit you when you retract from hitting it.

and last i checked, nado has like 15-18 hit boxes and last like 60-100 frames, some simple math, comes out to 1 hitbox every 4-6 frames. I dont even think its possible for a hitbox to come out faster than frame one. unless it has 2 overlapping hitboxes that come out at the same time. and the only move in the game I can even think of, thats even remotely close to that is peachs bair.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
When's the best time to use HA besides recovery?

Tenki

Smash Hero
When's the best time to use HA besides recovery?
I think wificombo (SDR>HA) might be a legit combo at higher %, with a fresh spindash.

Also, one way I tend to use Homing Attack is out of the defunct spring cancel strategy:
Set up Grounded Spring > D-air to ground > D-air a few times on spring > Surprise Homing Attack

:3

Top Bottom