• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Browny

Smash Hater
use HA to gimp the likes of ike, mario. when they are recovering, run beneath the stage and HA. if it misses, it doesnt matter because you will recover. if it hits (which it is likely to, HA's accuracy is far better if you are below them) it will kill. also has potential to catch people out of airdodging due to the start up of it, and of course micing up the release speed by pressing B can help too.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I would think that applying anymore pressure on their shield would be plausible. I would do that by spacing Bairs, dash attacking, Fairing afterwards, FTilting, just to give some ideas. You were right to say that it is way too broad of a thing to talk about and with so many different situations to consider one best thing to do at all times.

Tenki

Smash Hero
My roommate's wii is out of commission so I can't test anything atm:

does SLOW (SDR>FSJ ...) require a certain DI (or lack of it)?
I used to pull this off on CPU, but I'd never actually gotten it to work on players.

infomon

Smash Scientist
@ speed,

in that situation, f smash.

it has the pull back motion to possibly avoid any punishment options.
Never forget about smash-knockback, though. If you get hit while you're doing a smash attack, you get extra knockback (I can't remember if it's 10% or 20%, something like that though). So if you're Fsmashing at a time when you have a good chance of getting hit (ex. you hit a Marth's shield, and are likely to get up-B OoS'd) then you do not want to be caught smashing.

This is part of what I hate about Snake -- he never has to deal with that, because he's never smashing anyway. Stupid tilts :urg:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What's best to take advantage of in the Marth MU?
Or are we really that screwed and rely on pure outplay?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Well, what do we rely on the gain offstage advantage?
*Checks tone*
My apologies on my rather disturbing dialogue, but i just wanted to prove myself stern in my question.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
KID, does it really matter? =V
I just came here to ask a question, if i'm going to recieve complaints on how my english differs from yours, i'd gladly take my questions elsewhere.
I just needed help on the Marth MU, but i'll just go and question the Marth boards instead.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol go ahead and do that if you think itll help but theyll be even worse about it. As uptight as those girly little pricks are.

And im not complaining, im just trying to figure out where your coming from here, because currently I cant even understand what you are trying to ask, and if I dont know what the question is, how can I give a proper answer?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Actually, i got a clear answer.
And i'm in GA btw, are you questioning my context?
I'm just curious, as i've never been questioned as to how i speak.
*Reply through PM or something*

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I think wificombo (SDR>HA) might be a legit combo at higher %, with a fresh spindash.

Also, one way I tend to use Homing Attack is out of the defunct spring cancel strategy:
Set up Grounded Spring > D-air to ground > D-air a few times on spring > Surprise Homing Attack

:3
How about using HA as a tech-chaser when the opponent gets knocked down on a platform above you? You can time the release of the HA by pressing B after seeing what he does to get up (roll to the right/left, stand up, attack).

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol @ KID not being able to read this Lucas' troubled english... it's not even that bad; he's just being internet-sloppy.

Marth's not a bad matchup for Sonic. I used to think it was miserable, that there was nothing we could do about Marth. But pretty much all the major Sonics think that Marth is even at worst, iirc.

Unlike most matchups, Marfa can't force you to approach. No projectile. We can camp him, we can run away, we can just dilly-dally until he messes up, and we're fast enough to be able to punish it.... unless the Marfa is good. He'll do his baiting, to get you to come close when he's prepared to strike... but you just need to learn when to get in and when to get out.

Be very very wary of trying to gimp a Marth. But definitely get him offstage and it reduces his options. If you're unpredictable with how you deal with him offstage it will help a lot (ex. don't just spam Springs at him, also don't predictably try to Bair him while he's about to up-B snap to the ledge). But if you can instant-edgehog with Sonic then there will definitely be times when you can net easy kills that way.

Definitely watch out for his up-B OoS.

:054:

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
WTF is the matter with my English?:mad:
Nobody has ever had a problem with how i talk, and i don't find it too different from anyone else here >_>
And i want someone's opinion on what Marth has to use against Sonic, and that was my main question:ohwell:
This is also what i meant when i said i get "shunned" for asking questions.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
WTF is the matter with my English?:mad:
Nobody has ever had a problem with how i talk, and i don't find it too different from anyone else here >_>
There's nothing wrong with the way you post, really. It just seems you kinda post without double checking if it makes sense or not. If you want me to quote on which ones, I can do that.

And i want someone's opinion on what Marth has to use against Sonic, and that was my main question:ohwell:[/COLOR][/B]
His sword? Like, on what scenario?

This is also what i meant when i said i get "shunned" for asking questions.
You weren't getting shunned, lol. KID just wasn't sure on what you're asking so he wanted to clarify. Everyone is just trying to help.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I agree with espy and Kupo.

LP, You probably speak just fine in person, but if you dont use a decent amount of grammar in text, it makes it very hard to comprehend.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Ok, please quote, Kupo.
I actually DO read after i post, to make sure it makes sense, and has no typos or misconceptions.

lol, i get the sword, but →what do we have to use against Marth?←

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
speed, grabs and gimps. marth is very weak when he is above the opponent, and we can get him there easily, and we can punish a lot of the things some other characters cant.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Ok, please quote, Kupo.
I actually DO read after i post, to make sure it makes sense, and has no typos or misconceptions.
-----

What's best to take advantage of in the Marth MU?
Or are we really that screwed and rely on pure outplay?
First part was (kinda) confusing. It could've been worded like... "What's the best thing to take advantage of, in the Marth MU?". The second part was understandable.

Well, what do we rely on the gain offstage advantage?
*Checks tone*
My apologies on my rather disturbing dialogue, but i just wanted to prove myself stern in my question.
"on the gain offstage advantage"???

KID, does it really matter? =V
I just came here to ask a question, if i'm going to recieve complaints on how my english differs from yours, i'd gladly take my questions elsewhere.
I just needed help on the Marth MU, but i'll just go and question the Marth boards instead.
You don't need to add a new line.
For everything.
You say.

lol, i get the sword, but →what do we have to use against Marth?←
Your original question was(?)
what Marth has to use against Sonic
Now it's "What does Sonic have to use against Marth?". So... What are you asking?

inb4ChistellingustotakeitVMs/PMs

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
First quote: I asked "What's best to take advantage of?"
Offstage? Grabs? Gimps?

2nd quote: Now that one was admittingly my fault, lol.
It was supposed to be "Well, what do we rely on to gain the offstage advantage?"
Must've re-read it wrong :p

3rd quote: Well, it's obviously, better, than talking, like this.With all that i have to say, mashed up. Instead of, starting, a new line, after, every, sentence. I guess, it's abnormal, on these, formus.

4th quote: Recap my posts up until now.
I clearly stated that i was taking my questions elsewhere, and i got my answers.
That is a new question, which was kindly answered by KID.

If you guys want me to talk like i know nothing in grammar, fine. :(
I'm just annoyed at how bad i was misinterpreted this whole scenario.
All because of one stupid question.
This is the last time i ask here.

BSP

Smash Legend
Are there any uses for Sonic's foxtrot? I know you can go into that sliding animation, and extend it with the control stick, or do a slow run if you input a run again. Do you guys use this much?

Tenki

Smash Hero
You know how you tap forward to foxtrot?

You can use that tap as a start up for F-smash.

So you can actually foxtrot up to someone and F-smash.
[tap] [tap]...[tap]+[A]

Same thing with dash dance pivots (quickly hitting [forward]-[back] so your foxtrot turns around). You can use that to either fake people out with your movement - like, from close range, make it look like you're running away, then DDP and run back in when they let their mental guard down. Or do a short foxtrot away then DDP+Fsmash, to counter an approach.

One thing you can also try is the [tap back] + [c-stick forward] - the input for a stutter step, so you can do a short foxtrot away, then try to make up for it by doing a stutter step forward.

-----------
@ everyone v Lucas:
... what@nitpicking :/
-----------

How about using HA as a tech-chaser when the opponent gets knocked down on a platform above you? You can time the release of the HA by pressing B after seeing what he does to get up (roll to the right/left, stand up, attack).
I guess that may work.

Personally though, I'd try to gamble a read and punish that with ASC.
I've been trying to push for people to try out (on say, BF) U-throw/F-throw > read airdodge/landing > ASC combo =/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Has anybody tried to extensively experiment with Sonic's B-reversals?

I know it sounds silly because Homing attack itself is just a dumb move and it doesn't seem like it can be remedied to full use, but for example I have saved myself in tourney matches because Sonic was facing away from the stage and I would've died if I couldn't use the Homing Attack to stall but at the same time I would've died if I didn't get Sonic to turn the other direction.

Just an example. If anybody else has any brilliant ideas for it, I'm all ears.

Also to save myself some time, has anybody tried to experiment with Spin Dash momentum canceling in a way where Sonic's Spin Dash Charge pulls him towards the stage and you like jump cancel it?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Also to save myself some time, has anybody tried to experiment with Spin Dash momentum canceling in a way where Sonic's Spin Dash Charge pulls him towards the stage and you like jump cancel it?
I tried it. It didn't work.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Does anyone else use ASC-drop through Uair/nair on platforms regularly?

I wanted to learn how to do it, but I can't seem to buffer the entire thing properly ever. Any tips?

(I'm talking about Aerial spin charge shield cancel and then canceling shield with a drop down aerial on a platform.)

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
So, I just heard about Bdacus for the first time in the other thread on situational stuff. I've looked at a couple youtube videos, notably the one by DaB4sHeR. Is there anything else I should know before I try out the technique?

Trent

Smash Champion
BDACUS is pretty much for Diddy.. I don't even think it's situational for Sonic, I really can't think of a time you could use it.

Top Bottom