• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I think the best Samus can do in the air is short hop side B, so you can make the missles shoot out faster with less start up lag. But otherwise, her air game kind of sucks.

Rappster

Smash Ace
All you need is love, as newspaper taxis on the beach to take you away, because, lucy is in the sky with diamonds, I am the eggman co co cha cho, look at all the loney people, writeing a sermen no one will hear, here comes the sun, hold my hand, you say you want to change the world, get back jojo, nothing will change my world, as sgt. pepper's army, we all live in a yellow submarie
not bad at all. my turn:

“Help!,” “Yesterday,” “the fool on the hill” “drive my car” down “the long and winding road” to “strawberry fields forever,” “being for the benefit of mr. kite.” I, meanwhile, am “back in the ussr,” taking a “magical mystery tour” in a “yellow submarine.” But “with a little help from my friends:” “mean mr. mustard,” the “nowhere man,” and “lovely rita, meter maid,” i’ll “get back” at “that boy” by turning him into a “black bird” and setting him loose in a “Norwegian wood” until he’s all “helter-skelter” inside and “twists and shouts” for mercy.
i'll say "'tell me why' you took my car from 'penny lane,'" and then i’ll teach him my brand of honesty, cause “everyone has something to hide except me and my monkey”

this was all off the top of my head :)

rhan

Smash Hero
So she should basically stick to a ground game, rather than an air game, where she's too floaty and slow to do anything?
Her air game is decent. But Marth's air game is a hellava lot better. Plus she doesn't have many options when sent into the air. Only thing she can do is bomb to avoid some attacks to try to touch ground again.

It's not about her air game in the match. It's about the ability to CC everything and bait grabs.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
M2k made me look at it this way. You can dash attack a marth, or you can grab. You have 2 main options, and he has two main options (attack/shield). That reduces your chances of succeeding to about 50 percent. If he attacks, you dash attack, if he shields, you grab. It seems really simple, but there's a genius to it.

I guess this is where the outplaying part comes in, and where I took some freedom with m2k's strategy. Your goal is to go from a 50% success rate to about 90% with successful baiting and reading. You can bait out the shield, you can push in just enough to bait an attack, then come down with a dash attack. Be constantly moving. Naturally, you'd have to have your follow ups down.
Wait.

I seriously thought this was common knowledge. I'm picking up Samus as a main and far too many people I know play Marth. This idea was something I managed to pick up in like... an hour.

I understand that top level play is way far outta my grasp, but I'm seriously confused. :confused:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Wait.

I seriously thought this was common knowledge. I'm picking up Samus as a main and far too many people I know play Marth. This idea was something I managed to pick up in like... an hour.

I understand that top level play is way far outta my grasp, but I'm seriously confused. :confused:
you are confused because top level play is way far outta your grasp.

most noobs over use dash attack and grab. I guess you got lucky lol.
I stay trollin

HugS™

Smash Lord
Wait.

I tend to over-simplify my strategies when I write them. Drugged Fox also said he came up with this strategy on his own before I ever mentioned it. In fact, I've been dash attacking and grabbing marth long before I drastically improved in the match up. So...why would I even mention it now as if I discovered something?

It's all about perspective; to take your basic tools and be able to apply them in ways that make them do far more than you thought possible. When you catch a new perspective, even the simplest of things will change. Come 2 years from now, I'll probably find some use for bombs that destroys Sheik, and someone will come in and say "wait, I've been doing this the whole time". Yeah...but not really.

A lot of people used upB out of shield too before they ever saw me doing it, I'm sure.
However, just like this Marth strategy, it's deeper than I'm capable of expressing in words sometimes.

Like, I wasn't the first to use the upB out of shield. Hell, I saw captain Jack and Wes doing it before me. Everyone knew you could hit people out of shield with an upB.

But when I changed my perspective...when I thought "This can replace shield grabbing", then "This has invincibility frames and more range than shield grabbing!", then "I can even intercept people in the air with this!", it changes EVERYTHING.

But yeah, if you got the basic idea down without any help, good job.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Hax vs HugS in a friendly set:
Hax: "I coulda won, you're just mad f***ing boring to play..."
HugS: "You know what's MORE boring?! Having to wait your turn to get on a TV again."

This was the only thing i saw in your post Hugs and it's amazing.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
LOL Was that at GSG Hugs? That's amazing. Hugs again though, with an insightful post. You can realize things fairly quickly, but the usage, application, everything really, is another story.

Tier List leak: Link is now top tier. Discuss.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who thinks the tier list is gonna be largely the same? Jiggs is about the only character I can see changing spots. Then again, I once thought Lady Gaga was sexy. With a misjudgement like that under my belt, odds are that I'm wrong again.

D

Deleted member

I always thought that Marth beat Samus but never to a destructive degree that I seem to get from a lot of people. I think Sheik is worse for Samus if anything.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
with the current rules I believe samus will drop below ganon and doc and ganon will switch places

rhan

Smash Hero
Just that match was horrible. He wrecked me the next round. I was just lucky a hellava lot.

That video wasn't suppose to be taken seriously for the matchup. I just wanted to show off. I never beat Marth with Samus.. :laugh:

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Marth = space fairs vs samus she can't CC anything on you, and makes for an awesome shield pressure. If she gets smart and realizes that CC-->fsmash is the way to go against marth, then marth gets smart and starts shield grabbing it. Then samus realizes that you can CC--> JC grab as the marth shields, and make him look like an idiot.

Lastly, you realize melee is about mindgames and/or lucky predictions, but that marth has the advantage because he has a sword and a really gay tiara.

Also, link has a sword and a really gay tunic. By good logic, he's as good as marth. Get at me

.Marik

is a social misfit
Whats so funny about pudding.
Never mind. Your question seems to collaborate decently with your avatar though.

Umbreon, I secondary Samus, I find Marth is a lot harder to deal with.

Marth has a lot of safe options that come out in mere frames, very quick attacks with good range.

Samus has nothing in her arsenal to beat Marth's safe spacing options, maybe camping and approaching with a Wavedash> FTilt. We literally need to either intercept, or wait until he's finished swinging his sword.

Sheik is easier to deal with, and aside from ridiculous combos derived from tech chasing, she can't pressure Samus as well. She's a hard matchup for Samus, but not as bad like the Marth matchup.

Just my observations. I'm also fairly certain Ganondorf is remaining where he is, or moving up.

Doctor Mario will probably move down, I'm assuming.

the thing that makes Marth beat Samus so badly is his impunity

while marth spams fairs and ftilts, there's very little samus can do to stop Marth from slowly but surely pushing her around the stage and eventually near the edge where samus' options are severely limited.

this is facilitated by the fact that marth's aerials on samus' shield are unpunishable, ftilt on shield is unpunishable, dtilt is punishable, and samus' ftilt is punishable on shield via fair oos.

don't even get me started on how badly marth combos samus from one well placed fair and what happens when samus is hit above marth.

at least 65-35 if not 70-30 imo.

M.A.T.spam

Smash Rookie
Never mind. Your question seems to collaborate decently with your avatar though.
You didn't answer my question. Also, how does it collaborate with my avatar? I asked a question about why he thought pudding was funny. Oh because mentally handicapped people arent as smart as you? I see.

Animal

Smash Lord
mbr is making me rage. promised a new tier list early august its almost early september.

rhan

Smash Hero
the thing that makes Marth beat Samus so badly is his impunity

while marth spams fairs and ftilts, there's very little samus can do to stop Marth from slowly but surely pushing her around the stage and eventually near the edge where samus' options are severely limited.

this is facilitated by the fact that marth's aerials on samus' shield are unpunishable, ftilt on shield is unpunishable, dtilt is punishable, and samus' ftilt is punishable on shield via fair oos.

don't even get me started on how badly marth combos samus from one well placed fair and what happens when samus is hit above marth.

at least 65-35 if not 70-30 imo.
Only character to legitly combo Samus is Falco. Marth can only combo Samus if that player has horrible DI.

Samus' options are better at the edge.

DTilt from Samus has decent shield pressure and pushes Marth back.

Samus' FTilt out ranges a lot that Marth has to throw at her.

Samus can up B OoS to punish.

Her DTilt has decent sheild pressure and pushes Marth back.

Just a few points to throw out there. You clearly underestimated the match-up. Marth isn't overpowered in the match-up. Just it's in his favor.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Also, how does it collaborate with my avatar? I asked a question about why he thought pudding was funny. Oh because mentally handicapped people arent as smart as you? I see.
Pretty much. Although I wasn't comparing mentally ******** people to myself.

It's just an inside joke, derived from the wonderful realm of ICG.

M.A.T.spam

Smash Rookie
Pretty much. Although I wasn't comparing mentally ******** people to myself.

It's just an inside joke, derived from the wonderful realm of ICG.
Ok, thank you very much for the answer. Next time there is some kind of pudding related post on the melee boards i'll know its some kind of ICG meme then I guess.

Only character to legitly combo Samus is Falco. Marth can only combo Samus if that player has horrible DI.

Samus' options are better at the edge.

DTilt from Samus has decent shield pressure and pushes Marth back.

Samus' FTilt out ranges a lot that Marth has to throw at her.

Samus can up B OoS to punish.

Her DTilt has decent sheild pressure and pushes Marth back.

Just a few points to throw out there. You clearly underestimated the match-up. Marth isn't overpowered in the match-up. Just it's in his favor.
marth is definitely the stronger contender, by a very wide margin.

samus' dtilt as shield pressure is laughable. the move has so much lag that CF can knee oos, let alone it being good shield pressure. If marth can't shieldgrab, then he'll fair oos.

nothing short of a perfectly spaced ftilt is unpunishable by fair oos. the move is laggier than you think.

Samus' up-b oos vs. marth is so rare that you'll probably never use it. marth has to have spaced his move on your shield incredibly poorly, not to mention that a whiffed up-B means you're going to get juggled for upwards of 40% depending on stage or just tipped for an easy kill.

imo marth also edgeguards samus better than vice versa.

rhan

Smash Hero
marth is definitely the stronger contender, by a very wide margin.

samus' dtilt as shield pressure is laughable. the move has so much lag that CF can knee oos, let alone it being good shield pressure. If marth can't shieldgrab, then he'll fair oos.

nothing short of a perfectly spaced ftilt is unpunishable by fair oos. the move is laggier than you think.

Samus' up-b oos vs. marth is so rare that you'll probably never use it. marth has to have spaced his move on your shield incredibly poorly, not to mention that a whiffed up-B means you're going to get juggled for upwards of 40% depending on stage or just tipped for an easy kill.

imo marth also edgeguards samus better than vice versa.
It's not a wide margin. But he is with the advantage.

I said decent. Not good. Learn to read and comprehend.

A good player wouldn't FTilt a shield anyway. Jab pressure is better. And even better is missile grab.

It's not rare. It's one of Samus' main defenses. I've had an up B beat a Marth going for a well spaced tipper. Fair isn't that hard to get around either. If you go at the shield a simple wavedash out of shield to Ftilt/D-Smash/F-Smash.

You are very narrow minded. Marth isn't that strong in the match-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom