• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm still raging at the people who are like "Jiggs won Pound 3, Pound 4, Genesis, and Apex. Broken," when they fail to realize that Jigglypuff didn't win those tournaments. Jigglypuff players won those tournaments.

GOD DAMMIT YOU PIECES OF ****

Jigglypuff, when comboed with Jigglypuff players called MaNg0 and Hungrybox, only wins super big events where players wear out. Everywhere else, Falco, Fox, Marth, and Sheik rule the wide spread everythingthat'snotanationalnorworldscale tournaments.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No. Puff doesn't win super big events.
Puff players do.

Did you not just.

Oh my god.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey sveet I was meaning to tell you this but what you did at POE3 messed with my head bad. When you said I play smart I'm unable tounderstand that kind of thing anymore nice things mess with me my mind can no longer understand it like thinking of something beyond what we've known and lived.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
hey sveet I was meaning to tell you this but what you did at POE3 messed with my head bad. When you said I play smart I'm unable tounderstand that kind of thing anymore nice things mess with me my mind can no longer understand it like thinking of something beyond what we've known and lived.
Bruce Lee: Don't think, Feel!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
All you need is love, as newspaper taxis on the beach to take you away, because, lucy is in the sky with diamonds, I am the eggman co co cha cho, look at all the loney people, writeing a sermen no one will hear, here comes the sun, hold my hand, you say you want to change the world, get back jojo, nothing will change my world, as sgt. pepper's army, we all live in a yellow submarie

Doc King

Smash Lord
All you need is love, as newspaper taxis on the beach to take you away, because, lucy is in the sky with diamonds, I am the eggman co co cha cho, look at all the loney people, writeing a sermen no one will hear, here comes the sun, hold my hand, you say you want to change the world, get back jojo, nothing will change my world, as sgt. pepper's army, we all live in a yellow submarie
What the hell does this have to do with the Tier list? :laugh:

HugS™

Smash Lord
I could beat really good marths. I took out falcomist's, I beat G$'s, Mango's, and M2k's in friendlies (Just friendlies though, but I haven't had a shot in tourney as of late, so I still point it out). And I mean like...not only have I won, but I haven't lost to them in friendlies either.

M2k helped me out in the match up and it hasn't been a problem matchup since.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Inb4hugs

I'm betting he just learned to outplay the marth by knowing the matchup better =PPP

Anyway, marth's fair game = too good against samus... Obviously there's more to it than that, and I know a few ways around marth, but would you mind sharing Hugs? I can personally fair fairly well against marth when I use samus (sometimes winning, other times getting 1 stocked, not too uneven) but that doesn't change how hopeless the matchup feels if the marth knows what he's doing. It'd be awesome to hear what you've learned :D

HugS™

Smash Lord
M2k made me look at it this way. You can dash attack a marth, or you can grab. You have 2 main options, and he has two main options (attack/shield). That reduces your chances of succeeding to about 50 percent. If he attacks, you dash attack, if he shields, you grab. It seems really simple, but there's a genius to it.

I guess this is where the outplaying part comes in, and where I took some freedom with m2k's strategy. Your goal is to go from a 50% success rate to about 90% with successful baiting and reading. You can bait out the shield, you can push in just enough to bait an attack, then come down with a dash attack. Be constantly moving. Naturally, you'd have to have your follow ups down.

Marth has no defensive Fair game if you fight him this way. Why would he SH fair defensively at a samus who isn't attempting to move in. Samus should only be baiting.

Marth is a bit limited, and with this strategy you get to exploit those limitations. The point is to control the middle ground, when you give it up, you ride the platforms to the other side, and repeat.

I really have had zero problems with marth since, and it's starting to feel like a "gimme" matchup in brackets now. I don't know if I've changed my opinion on the matchup yet. If it's just me outplaying them, then the marths will catch up. If it really is an inherent advantage within Samus, then I'll be able to maintain this success for a long time much like I have vs Falco/Fox.

Doc King

Smash Lord
M2k made me look at it this way. You can dash attack a marth, or you can grab. You have 2 main options, and he has two main options (attack/shield). That reduces your chances of succeeding to about 50 percent. If he attacks, you dash attack, if he shields, you grab. It seems really simple, but there's a genius to it.

I guess this is where the outplaying part comes in, and where I took some freedom with m2k's strategy. Your goal is to go from a 50% success rate to about 90% with successful baiting and reading. You can bait out the shield, you can push in just enough to bait an attack, then come down with a dash attack. Be constantly moving. Naturally, you'd have to have your follow ups down.

Marth has no defensive Fair game if you fight him this way. Why would he SH fair defensively at a samus who isn't attempting to move in. Samus should only be baiting.

Marth is a bit limited, and with this strategy you get to exploit those limitations. The point is to control the middle ground, when you give it up, you ride the platforms to the other side, and repeat.

I really have had zero problems with marth since, and it's starting to feel like a "gimme" matchup in brackets now. I don't know if I've changed my opinion on the matchup yet. If it's just me outplaying them, then the marths will catch up. If it really is an inherent advantage within Samus, then I'll be able to maintain this success for a long time much like I have vs Falco/Fox.
It's true that Marth is a bit limited on what he can do.

Also, I think you could play a projectile game against Marth cause of Marth's lack of a projectile while Samus has 2 good ones.

rhan

Smash Hero
Samus' missiles are good but Marth slices through them like a loaf of bread. They're easily breakable and the charge shot take a while to charge. Samus v Marth is not about projectile camping but more like baiting and staying away. Missiles are useful still inthis matchup but they aren't that strong against him when he's just standing there and a ftilt can break them.

They're more useful as an edgegaurd when homing.

Samus' main goal in this matchup is to CC EVERYTHING HE DOES! Because once she gets in the air there isn't anything she can do until she touches ground again.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Wow, I'm extremely impressed with myself now... thanks btw Hugs. The reason that I say that is because by playing my main smash friend who dominates samus with marth, I came to the conclusion that samus has two ways of getting around marth: dash attacking, and grabbing. I'm amazingly surprised that I came to the right conclusion, seeing as I'm not a samus player in particular...

The difference of course is that I never thought about the extra step of the 50/50 to a 90/10... that's a really good point. I just assumed the matchup would end up depending on a 50/50 who baited what, and who could punish better afterwards. Thanks for the insight, now I've added a bit to my dash attack + grab knowledge xDD

@DocKing, projectiles are useful when marth's far away, but marth tends to stay within a specific range when fighting most characters... at which point its hard to really abuse your projectiles. This is without mentioning how many different ways he has of going through samus' missiles.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Samus' missiles are good but Marth slices through them like a loaf of bread. They're easily breakable and the charge shot take a while to charge. Samus v Marth is not about projectile camping but more like baiting and staying away. Missiles are useful still inthis matchup but they aren't that strong against him when he's just standing there and a ftilt can break them.

They're more useful as an edgegaurd when homing.

Samus' main goal in this matchup is to CC EVERYTHING HE DOES! Because once she gets in the air there isn't anything she can do until she touches ground again.
So she should basically stick to a ground game, rather than an air game, where she's too floaty and slow to do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom