• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Warhawk

Smash Lord
*sigh*

Then let's put Fox below Peach, Falco, and Puff, because there isn't any Fox main consistently ****** with him. :urg:

This is ridiculous.
I'm not sure what you're getting at... I don't think anyone's saying Fox isn't amazing, just that he's not this near-invincible character everyone once thought he was a few years ago and that he does have flaws.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Someone should poll a bunch of top players on matchups, then make a flowchart. Something like:
Marth > Falco > Fox > Peach > Marth
:troll:

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
yeah but i honestly think pp was playing ****ty that day ad mango was playing WAY too cocky. Taj did his job well and deserved to win those sets based off how both players were playing, but the falcos were playing bad (pp) and COCKY (mango). I asked mango about it weeks later like why did you go to the edge so much, and he said he "didn't respect him and just wanted to **** him". I definitely tried to study them to see how marth has the advantage over falco, but it just further convinced me that it's far in falco's favor, since the falco's weren't playing as well (or in mango's case, as effectively) as Taj was. I don't think marth's awful vs falco, but i think he's way disadvantaged vs him (except on FD, which is why, PP, I keep telling you to pick up marth for when ANYONE takes you to FD. Marth's super broken on FD vs spacies imo [more so fox than falco since falco has more room to laser, but I think marth has the advantage there for sure vs both of them).

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, Warhawk, since no Fox mains are placing well, he must not be better than the characters who place above him, right? So Falco, Peach, and Puff are all better, because tournaments are the only things that matter, and we must take those results at face value.

Duh.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Marth > Falco > Fox > Young Link > Jiggs > Peach > Marth

ShroudedOne: absurd strawmanning isn't gonna help you but I agree at least partially. people underrate the fact that players are often separated heavily by skill and not character choice.

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
Taj beat PP and Mango's Falcos at Genesis 2, which is kind of neat.

Maybe Marth isn't beyond awful vs Falco.
maybe just maybe thinks about playing around with marth again hmmm...... well after 5 long seconds i have decided New Jersey has to many birds and i am tired of dealing with it using marth so gonna try sheik, fox and peach all fun that is why i play to have fun if i make money cool.

unknown522

Some guy
Marth > Falco > Fox > Young Link > Jiggs > Peach > Marth

ShroudedOne: absurd strawmanning isn't gonna help you but I agree at least partially. people underrate the fact that players are often separated heavily by skill and not character choice.
don't forget about matchup knowledge

:phone:

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It isn't straw manning if that's pretty much what is being said, Strong Bad. At the very least, no one has made that disclaimer which you have (which is that skill separates more than character), so this is all I've gleaned from them.

And what Unknown said, too.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
so here's my questions, it's a lot of points, someone plz help me find the rest, I spent tons of hours on this **** and I'm hella bored (there's 65 questions I got all of them cept these)

9. In painting and drawing, artists often uset he technique of ___ to describe the way shadows and light define the mass of forms, to create the illusion of weight and volume.
a. modeling
b. spatial organization
c. emphasis
d. simultaneous contrast

27. This ancient method was and is still used to cast bronze sculptures
a. plaster castering
b. lost-wax method ????maybe this? but idk it seems like 27 and 28 both wouldn't be the same thing...
c. modeling
d. carving

28. In sculpture, forms can be built up using pliable materials such as clay or plaster, a process known as ___ sculpture.
a. lost wax (I think it's this, but again read above)
b. additive

30.Michaelangelo created "David" using which sculpture technique?
a. casting
b. carving

33. Louis Comfort Tiffany invented a new method of connecting pieces of stained glass together called ____, which lightened the visual and physical weight of his windows considerably.
a. copper foil method
b. terra cotta
c. lead caming
d. steel cage

34. The pyramids and the Parthenon were created using a ____ technique to set the stones in place
a. wet masonry
b. wet cement
c. dry masonry
d. dry cement

35. The earliest type of dome was the tholos, an ancient greek tomb that used courses of stones in a circular arrangement which diminished in diameter as the courses approached the top of the chamber. What is this type of roofing system called?
a. coffered (I think it's a or b)
b. corbelled
c. lintels
d. pendentives

38. Historically, 3 things dictated the types of structures humans have erected:
a. materials, function, cost
b. materials, climate, culture
c. materials, cost, use of space
d. climate, function, use of space

42. A ____ cannot be any wider at its base than it is tall or it will collapse due to the downward forces of gravity
a. corbelled roof
b. dome
c. geodesic sphere
d. none of the above

43. in order to build the aqueducts' arches, Roman engineers depended on the forces of gravity, or ___, to hold them together without the benefit of mortar
a. buttressing and centering
b. tension and compression
c. tension and buttressing
d. tensile strength and compression

45. Heavy, grounded forms that hug the earth, round arches in the ceiling and arches, thick walls, and high small windows best describe a ___
a. mausoleum
b. roman basilica
c. gothic church
d. Romanesque church

46. In Romanesque or Gothic architecture, because of the weight-bearing capacity of the ribs, the ceiling surfaces or ____ can be made of lighter material.
a. transept
b. triforium
c. webbing
d. clerestory

47. A(n) ____ is an exterior structural support, actually half an arch, that is connected at only one point on a wall. It strengthens the interior vaults and allows huge spaces for stained glass.
a. flying buttress
b. engaged buttress
c. engaged column
d. cluster pier

48. The Kaufman House (Falling Water) in Pennsylvania, is an example of what type of construction?
b. ferro or reinforced concrete
d. steel cable

49. The Wainwright Building in St. Louis is the earliest example of a skyscraper in north america. What type of structural support does it use?
a. steel cage
b. ferroconcrete
c. steel cable architecture
d. balloon framing

whoever helps me on this (anything but the more the better XD) I'll train/play with for many hours personally and teach random stuff, or something good like that obviously

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Well, Warhawk, since no Fox mains are placing well, he must not be better than the characters who place above him, right? So Falco, Peach, and Puff are all better, because tournaments are the only things that matter, and we must take those results at face value.

Duh.
Alright, I get it now. I mean granted, results shouldn't be the only thing that go into factoring whether a character is better than another or not like a few people are suggesting, but they should be a decent factor as its the only way of seeing how all the theories pan out in reality. Top results are kind of iffy though because skill is going to be the great divider over character choice, but I mean looking at how many of such and such character made brackett at a large tourney compared to the overall popularity of the character I think is a good indicator sometimes.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
58. When an artist takes recognizable, everyday objects and combines them to create another easily recognizable object, as in Picasso's "Bull's Head", that process is known as
a. ready-made
b. earthwork
c. assemblage
d. none of the above.

59. Pieces of medieval stained glass were connected together with strips of
a. copper foil
b. lead camping
c. animal glues
d. paper mache

60. which of the following types of ceramics uses ground-up animal bones to strengthen it
a. terra cotta (i didn't research this question that long though compared to most)
b. stonewear
c. porcelain
d. china

61. ____ is a process where, for example, a dark blue glass vase is overlaid with a thin layer of white glass which is then sculpted into delicate forms using a very fine chisel. Greek and roman myths were popular subjects of bas relief.
a. Stained glass
b. Cameo cut class
c. glazing
d. China

Mew2King

King of the Mews
thanks in advance guys! (plz help LOL i'm so ****ing tired of researching this + textbook is really really ****ty and google is annoying to use to be 100% sure I'm correct with some things

btw it took me a while to type all of that <.< (to type each question and choice out)

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
google is not being as fast as i expected to find the answers sorry m2k im kinda tired and having a hard time finding the answers wish i could be more of a help i like helping people out when i can.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
What has Marth done AT ALL since the metagame has gotten more advanced? What evidence is there that he is undeveloped? Is it possible that Marth, the character with the MOST success for the first 5 years of this game, was completely figured out? Not just in terms of his efficiency, but also how to fight against him? Is it also possible, that characters like Jiggs and Peach, who have NOT had Top Level representation up until recently, could in fact be BETTER than him?
Quoting and bolding this because it is the best thing posted in this thread in the past week.

my marth i think was super **** and i could prolly bring him back strong if i really put the time into it and had godlike controllers like before.
God this would make so many people happy.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
It is also possible that-

Never mind. I give up.

M2K, why would we know anything about art?

stelzig

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Armada did quite well against Hungrybox except for like 1 match whenever they played Puff vs Peach. Still lost but from what I saw from Armada it seemed doable, just difficult.
I've said this a decently number of times as well, but it seems armada himself (and leffen) has joined the whole "armada can't beat hbox with peach" when he was always close to in their matches.

IIRC he was even a full stock ahead before he got rested (which is fair enough, but i'm guessing armada won't be rested every match) in the first match of that apex 2010 set. I've always thought that it was silly to judge how close a set was, purely based on how many matches the individual players won. Getting 3-0'd (twice too), doesn't neccesarily mean you lost big. You could be one hit away from winning every single one of those games.

Guess it's hard for me to judge how far off he is from being able to taking it compared to the man himself, but from what i've watched, alot of people seem to overreact on the matchup (between the two players).

unknown522

Some guy
There's definitely a skill gap between armada and hbox, but the lop-sided matchup gives hbox the edge.

I know that he's pretty confident about being able to beat armada's peach as well. Armada is also going o go peach vs hbox at the next national to prove a point (I personally don't want him to do that. Unless he actually thought that he could beat him or something). He posted that in the falco boards a few weeks ago

stelzig

Smash Lord
Certainly doesn't sound good that armada would go into a match, convinced that he'll lose. It would be interesting to see him play a full set again though, and I guess it would keep the young link haters quiet too :)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I've said this a decently number of times as well, but it seems armada himself (and leffen) has joined the whole "armada can't beat hbox with peach" when he was always close to in their matches.

IIRC he was even a full stock ahead before he got rested (which is fair enough, but i'm guessing armada won't be rested every match) in the first match of that apex 2010 set. I've always thought that it was silly to judge how close a set was, purely based on how many matches the individual players won. Getting 3-0'd (twice too), doesn't neccesarily mean you lost big. You could be one hit away from winning every single one of those games.

Guess it's hard for me to judge how far off he is from being able to taking it compared to the man himself, but from what i've watched, alot of people seem to overreact on the matchup (between the two players).
There are players that I ALWAYS only just lose to.

There's definitely a skill gap between armada and hbox, but the lop-sided matchup gives hbox the edge.

I know that he's pretty confident about being able to beat armada's peach as well. Armada is also going o go peach vs hbox at the next national to prove a point (I personally don't want him to do that. Unless he actually thought that he could beat him or something). He posted that in the falco boards a few weeks ago

What point is he trying to prove?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I think that they are, on average, slightly better than me, on average.

If I had a good day or they had a bad day or I improved or something, I could beat them.

If we both play how we usually play though, I do well enough to get close to winning, but they win out overall.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
There's definitely a skill gap between armada and hbox
I really don't think there is. Did you see Hungrybox at Apex?
Armada is also going o go peach vs hbox at the next national to prove a point
I'm pretty sure Armada doesn't give a **** about proving points to whiny nobodies on the internet. Armada plays to win.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Personally in thinking about a tier list this is what I think (not even joking). In this game, there are characters that have a shine. After that, there's also a character that has a rest.

After that there's everyone else.
I know a lot of people here agree that Marth isn't as hot as we initially thought, but that's pushing it. Are you seriously rolling him in the same tier as Bowser, Roy, Pichu etc.?

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
yea i was gonna say that you were just exaggerating for the top 3 and why they are the top 3 but some times i just dont bother....

Top Bottom