• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule List 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSP

Smash Legend
Quit trolling and post something intelligent so this thread can actually get something done.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Interestingly enough, I definitely do suggest that a lot more people should read more of what the OP actually encompasses. Mistakenly, I passed over a part that, if anything, is rather important to the whole of the stage controversy. If anything, it is at least worth nothing.

The below Starter/Counter list has a list of three stages, followed by three sections of two stages each. In order to use this, start with the top three stages in the list, and adjust the starter list between 3 and 9 stages by going down the list and adding the next two stages until the desired number of stages is reached. Keep in mind that "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium" is a correct use of this, but "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Final Destination" is not. Go down the list; do not mix and match. Any remaining stages not used in the Starter list will be moved to the tournament's Counter list.
And this is the 3.0 Starter Stage list we've been provided:

Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville

Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium

Final Destination
Castle Siege

Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Before I continue, this Starter List essentially gives the option for 3-stage, 5-stage, 7-stage or 9-stage gameplay, in terms of Starter Stages. It gives options.

And, that right there, in my honest opinion, is what this ruleset is about: options.

As I said at one point, I think the best idea the BBR could do would be to work towards a ruleset that acts as a guideline that is more than a recommendation, almost to stablize and organize our community's competitions (as well as do this with some community input to do so). I just think it'd be more productive that way.

However, the next best option is to at least recommend something that has options. Yes, they've stressed enough that it's just a recommendation and I for one would love a ruleset that we don't just have to ignore because we don't like it.

But look right there. We have options. This whole ruleset is about having options. If you intend to follow the ruleset, you have options to do so how you like. Do you have to keep Port Town legal at your tournaments? No. But, it's listed as a counterpick, so if you feel like that is a good idea, you have the option to do so.

I guess what I'm saying is that as much as the rules may not be the most favorable or “awesome omg lulz” as people would have wanted, at least tournament organizers have the option to continue as they please while using this, only if they want to, as a way to make their tournaments better, not worse.

Just my two cents.

Moving on.

Another thing I'd like to comment on would be the two stage “Counter/Ban” section of the rules. For the sake of simplicity and organization, I feel it would be best for those two stages, Pirate Ship and Yoshi's Island: Melee, to be either counterpick or banned, not both.

Reason being, as I said before, this is about options, but options have to be clear. Counter/Ban, to me, seems like everyone is on the fence about them, so let's just put them out there and whatever happens, happens. I'm glad most of the new stages made legal were put directly into CP instead of C/B so more confusion and chaos did not ensue, but this kind of thing seems somewhat lazy or just unneeded.

If anything, I'd like to know why Pirate Ship and Yoshi's Island: Melee are not either just CP or just banned. What was the reasoning for making them Counter/Ban? What could be done to remedy this?

Also, one more thing to add, but one rule I'd like to point out:

The BBR now recommends that the game's verdict should always be honored; a victory screen should decide the winner. Any Sudden Death (excluding time-outs) should be treated as a tie; which are resolved with a 1 stock, 3 minute, same characters, same stage rematch.
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to just get rid of the timer in this case and make it 1 stock, only? I mean, theoretically, that timer could also run out in a match. What would happen? Is there clarification on this? I apologize in advance if I'm missing something on this that is obvious/common knowledge to others.

Orion*

Smash Researcher

#2, So then the 5-starters that most of the East Coast uses is garbage? See? I can strawman and pull inapplicable statements too.
A. im tired of this fad of calling everything a strawman, youre all gay.

B. soo.... the system that everyone uses and agrees upon successfully seems to be bad.... you know the term. if its not broke dont fix it?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
well sure, but it seems kinda silly to have an organization of people behind the scenes working on this stuff for a more competitive metagame, then saying the product of their labor doesn't have to be taken seriously
Actually, the BBR has no choice BUT to issue only recommendations. This is because the community has no true voice in the proceedings, and as such the community has no reason/incentive to follow the results of the proceedings. Said results will only be followed by those who agree with them, and if one doesn't agree with them it's easy enough to marginalize those who developed them *looks at thread*.

In its current form the BBR is an influential thinktank, not a governing body that issues decrees... though I guess it assumes some form of governmental role whether it likes it or not due to it being the only semblance of leadership/unity in the smash community.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
A. im tired of this fad of calling everything a strawman, youre all gay.

B. soo.... the system that everyone uses and agrees upon successfully seems to be bad.... you know the term. if its not broke dont fix it?
That phrase is probably one of my least favorite ever. It may not be BROKEN, but if there is room for improvements, there is no reason not to do so.

BSP

Smash Legend
Not being able to grab ledges really hurts some characters.
Couldn't we say the same thing about any other stage that hurts some characters? I.e. halberd's low ceiling really hurts light characters, or Delfino's walkoffs really hurts some characters. Is "hurting some characters" enough to warrant a ban?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
wow @ this stage list. I'm so glad im getting into Super Street Fighter 4. I can't even take you guys seriously anymore, let alone this horribly unbalanced game.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Couldn't we say the same thing about any other stage that hurts some characters? I.e. halberd's low ceiling really hurts light characters,
Being KO'd at a slightly less % by vertical KO moves is not that bad.

or Delfino's walkoffs really hurts some characters.
Yes, but most walkoffs only work at certain %'s. Others, like D3's, you can just ban the stage.

Is "hurting some characters" enough to warrant a ban?
It depends on how bad it hurts them. In PTAD's case, it can cost over half the cast a stock if they're knocked far enough offstage.
Green Greens

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Summit helps everybody, it hurts nobody!
Until people learn that moderate circle camping is possible on Summit when the gravity is normal.

Also, if someone is in the water, you can footstool that fool when he/she tries to jump and he/she is dead.

Anyway, may I please have an explanation on the absence of a LGL???

Chuee

Smash Hero
Until people learn that moderate circle camping is possible on Summit when the gravity is normal.

Also, if someone is in the water, you can footstool that fool when he/she tries to jump and he/she is dead.

Cuz the LGL affects all characters, when it's really only for MK since his planking is the only one thats unbeatable.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Oh ****, I was not aware that lucario has transcendant priority. So what? I probably know more about this game than 99% of the boards, including most probably you. I thought that maybe people mistook transcendant priority with cannot clash with ground moves but will clash with B moves. I never bothered testing this single thing out. Now if you really want to make a questionnaire about who knows most about brawl, be my guest.

Now I don't have time to argue for a bit, gotta get ready for tommorow for apex.

Also, anyone who doesn't think this community is full of scrubs merely has to look at so many of the rules created by said community. No infinite rules..... bowsercide rule being extended to ganon(even though bowsercide was not justified)....LGL(unless you use the Dan test, then thats arguable).
I hope you play FIVE planking ROBs, and 3 campy Marths in bracket.

...maybe like, a really gay lucas or something too.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master

Yes, circle camping exists, it's no worse then planking!

By attempting to footstool this person, you may also get eaten by the fish.

BBQTV

Smash Master
how ******** is the sbr for not including summit? i think the answer is very ********

just kidding

swordgard

Smash Hero
I hope you play FIVE planking ROBs, and 3 campy Marths in bracket.

...maybe like, a really gay lucas or something too.
I fail to see how rob can plank.

Marth camping me er I dunnow, I had some past troubles with marth.

Lucas? LOL, only a problem if you don't know how to cg him. This week, I have 100% cg rate on him : )

BSP

Smash Legend
@Chuee

Good point. Why not just ban PTAD if it's going to give your character trouble?

Chuee

Smash Hero
Lucas? LOL, only a problem if you don't know how to cg him. This week, I have 100% cg rate on him : )
Hope you have to play NL's Lucas in bracket.

@Chuee

Good point. Why not just ban PTAD if it's going to give your character trouble?
because the worst part of it gives over half the cast trouble.
and if you ban this you're going to get taken to another gay stage for the opponents character.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Hope you have to play NL's Lucas in bracket.

because the worst part of it gives over half the cast trouble.
and if you ban this you're going to get taken to another gay stage for the opponents character.
I do so hope too, lain sucks at the matchup so bad XD.

Apparently someone never gave him the memo on how to play matchups.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Watch out swordgard they're gunna show you Chibo's rob planking 1v2 then winning lol

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
You don't know crud about ROB if you don't know that ROB can plank hard maybe the ROBs you play don't plank or something but after MK I'd say ROB is the best plank character, he has so many options and camping strategies from the ledge.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
You don't know crud about ROB if you don't know that ROB can plank hard maybe the ROBs you play don't plank or something but after MK I'd say ROB is the best plank character, he has so many options and camping strategies from the ledge.
He can shoot projectiles.... thats about it....

And Swordgard has Holynightmare experience, but that means nothing I guess.

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
Holynightmare isn't the best ROB IMO, Lucky is he'll be at Apex and he'll prob plank a lot and show you how ROB is almost as broken as MK on the edge if needed to be. He can do a lot more then shoot lasers and tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom