• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Apex 2013 Results Thread | Jan 11-13, 2013 | New Brunswick NJ

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
it happens sometimes with round robin especially with ties where it becomes arbitrary who should make it out based on the TO that runs it.

Knut

Smash Apprentice
this was such an awesome tourney. so glad i was able to be a part of it.
shout outs to alex strife and the crew for putting this fabulous event together.

Rajam

Smash Champion
I know you have been under a lot of work, but is it possible to have the details of the bracket-pools of Brawl?

Also, shoutouts to the stream. Most hyped tournament I've ever watched

Shoutouts to both chileans (zero, nekokatsu) for making it past pools

also shoutouts to zero for getting revenge on richbrown and kakera who eliminated him in APEX 2012 lol

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Apex shoutouts:

I had a seriously fun time at this tournament. I got to see a lot of familiar faces, and meet several new ones as well. The Smash communities are always full of terrific people, and it's truly what keeps us old dogs coming back over and over again.

A huge thank you to Alex Strife, Crismas, and all the other staffers for doing a tremendous job putting this event together. Your hard work continues to pay exceptional dividends.

Also deserving of equal thanks are the actual tournament coordinators that kept things running smoothly. Thanks to FullMetal, Maria, and all the others who pitched in and did all the hard work.

Armada - It was nice getting a chance to meet you and talk briefly. Congrats on holding off my boy and grabbing that W.

Kevin - Ya done good, son. Get to work, you'll get it again soon.

Mew2King - Again, I think you were playing about the best I've ever seen out of you on Sunday. Congrats on your plethora of top 3 finishes.

Mango - Iron Man, dude. Seriously. Fun hanging out with you again.

Hungrybox - Yo, I was rooting for you so hard in your last matches. Keep your head up man, you played a fantastic tourney.

KirbyKaze - Good job on placing in the money. Sad I didn't see as much of you this year.

Vwins - It was great to finally meet you and play a bunch of PM.

Axe - The rat just keeps getting more and more awesome. Great talking to you.

Okami - Nice meeting you too. Good matches, just sucked that I was so tired, lol.

Silent Wolf - Great to see you again, I'm still working on that tourney.

Zhu - Nice meeting you finally. I'd love to talk more Falco with you sometime.

Colbol - Fun times like always. Craziest mofo ever.

Wobbles - Sorry for stealing your Melees. I promise I'll make it up to you.

Tope - Nice seeing you again.

Leffen - Nice ZSS. Don't worry, you didn't do anything I haven't already seen or been aware of, so I won't be nerfing her any time soon. ;)

Kagethewarrior - Good seeing you again, briefly.

Eggm - Good seeing you again. Gotta play again sometime.

Plup - Congrats on teams. Your Samus is unbelievable.

Scar - Good seeing you

ESAM - Do work, dude. Great to see you again.

Taj - Always happy to see old school smashers. That suit was amazing.

Cactuar - Sad we didn't get to play this time. But hanging out is always fun.

DoH - Random gas station meetups ftw.

Dazwa - Good weekend. Shoutouts to post-tournament death flu, instead of during-tournament. :)

VanZ - Yo, your everything is crazy. Good seeing you rep PM.

Redd - Good seeing you dude.

QPAC - Your Fox was sick, dude. Nice meeting you.

Vist - Dat cray Luigi.

MattDotZebb - Nice suit.

Rayku - Good times playing PM teams with you.

KevinM - BROOMERS FOR LIFE! Good **** in teams.

FullMetal - How'd you get 2 shoutouts? That last game was amazing. Ain't even mad tho, I had a lot of fun in pools.

StrongBad - So much fun hanging out with other Jedis. Keep being awesome.

Wizzrobe - Sonic is nasty. Gratz on 2nd, you're a really solid player.

LOZR - Awesome Car ftw! Good job in teams, you guys got it next year!

Everlasting Yayuhzz - Thanks for letting us crash on the floor.

The Rest of NC (because we suck) - So glad seeing all of you guys make it out, for Melee, Brawl, Marvel, or whatever. It was great seeing you all. So much hype.

Other people:

Mizuki - Holy crap, you are ridiculous. Your Pit is amazing.

Cao - OMG, wubs for days. It was really awesome meeting you and hanging out Saturday night.

Everybody else I played in PM - I hope you all are enjoying the new demo.

Smash 64 people - I can't believe I forgot my 64 controller this time. Good to see Isai again, congrats again on 2nd, lol.

screwattack.com guys - It was really awesome to see such an interest in PM. I hope you guys liked what you saw and continue to follow our progress in the months ahead.

To everybody else who made this one of the most memorable times I've ever had at a Smash event, you all rock. Keep making this community awesome.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I was in this pool, and I agree that it had extremely weird results lol. I thought it was kind of unfair to both NamiNami and Copycat, but at the same time, I wasn't sure if they should've made it out, or if RockCrock/Knut should've made it out. Either way, my pools results shows that this bracket pools system can end up kinda weird =/
Idk what to make of it.

:phone:
I know, I'm not saying that NamiNami and Copycat should have made it to the bracket : I don't how good both of them were compared to RockCrock and Knut. But it turned out they didn't get the chance to have their fate in their hands.
it happens sometimes with round robin especially with ties where it becomes arbitrary who should make it out based on the TO that runs it.
I know, and it always sucks to see the ranking of a pool being decided by the TO. However, in this pool, 2 players were better than the rest (Axe and Vish), and 5 weren't good enough to compete for a spot in the bracket. The 4 remaining guys were RockCrock, NamiNami, Copycat and Knut. Before the losers' finals, that is, right when RockCrock and Knut were promoted to the bracket, all 4 players' results were 1-1. If the two remaining sets (RockCrock vs Knut, Copycat vs NamiNami) had been played, two players would have had a 2-1 score, granting them access to the final bracket. Now, the way the bracket was made made it so that only RockCrock and Knut played their set, the other two being eliminated. That is the real problem.
Had Copycat and NamiNami's initial positions in the bracket been switched, they would have made it to the bracket while playing the exact same sets, just in a different order. That, is what I find disappointing with this system.

Keep in mind that it isn't a criticism toward you as a TO or anything. This double bracket pool system allowed to save a lot of time (while sacrificing the low-level players' experience as competitors, though), and it's an interesting point. My aim with this would rather be to show the flaws of such a system, that is relying too much on the initial seeding in my opinion.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Most fun I've had in years. Big thanks to my friends for helping me make this.

It's been such a long time since I was able to travel to an event, I'm glad some of you guys still remember me (Armada, Hax, etc.). :)

Had lots of fun playing dudes like Vectorman, Wobbles, and Taj for the first time; good games y'all. It's unlikely that I'll make another event anytime soon, but as long as the scene is strong I'll eventually show up to something!

And remember Kage, in the hands of a true hero, the King of Evil will be defeated! (aka good games ;))

J.Shadows

Smash Champion
Most fun I've had in years. Big thanks to my friends for helping me make this.

It's been such a long time since I was able to travel to an event, I'm glad some of you guys still remember me (Armada, Hax, etc.). :)

Had lots of fun playing dudes like Vectorman, Wobbles, and Taj for the first time; good games y'all. It's unlikely that I'll make another event anytime soon, but as long as the scene is strong I'll eventually show up to something!

And remember Kage, in the hands of a true hero, the King of Evil will be defeated! (aka good games ;))
Pretty sad we didn't get to money match.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Alex I'm sorry you are having so many problems... I loved the stream! GU was happy to help give setups. Shoutout to Genius Gaming for transporting our equipment. I haven't been able to see what is missing or not yet. However if it helps I can work with you to replace some of the equipment you are missing. I know you lost your personal PS3 I would be able to replace it Wiis or Gamecubes SUPER cheap. Call me when you are awake. I'm sure there is a ton for you to do. Hang in there the community will help!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sure wish I didn't have to forfeit Brawl Singles to get home, but, it is what it is.

At least I won the PM event. :)

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Some shoutouts:

Texas guys: Yo, hit me up with some PMs, lemme add you kids on facebook or something you guys are mad homies. Your brolyleg stories were making me **** my pants.

Lance, Kels, Lauren: good ridin out with you boys, wouldn't trade the Midwest for the world, all you guys are cool as ****.

Darkatma: good job being the top placing midwest player, we both should have done better, I know ur salty, kuz i sure as **** am.

Reno: good seeing you again, good friendlies, step up your game son.

ESAM: yo, ida got 13th with that 1st seed bracket you *******, go back to brawl you ****. Nice meetin you tho, ggs ur pretty damn good.

Dr. PP: I fully expected to win our set, good job champing it up and mounting comebacks in our games. Guess you are too good for my cheap ***, well done.

Javi: aight u ***** me, good **** mexico

Toph: Weclome to the midwest, ur as good as us now.

Stabbed: Welcome to the midwest, ur as good as us now.

Bert: Good **** in pools

Alan: Tough set man, prob. should have had me.

S2J: Yo.... ur kinda sick at that matchup, good work.

Stratford: Good games man.

Euphorium: Good seeing you again man, pehaps next time we'll get some games in.

Bobak: You're getting old, next time drink with us.

Mango and Bobby: thx for spending a lil time with ur smash elder, much appreciated. U'll be back on the top soon my man.

Vectorman: yo your yoshi was badass, mad good games son.

Ripple: thx for booking the room, good seeing you! sucks about your controller.

Leffen: thx for dat money

Phish It: thx for dat money

Stabbed: thx for dat money

Renth: nice spankin dat *** in ganon dittos again, mabye u'll do better next time :p. ur cool as ****, good seein u again

Lake, Swag, Dempt, Pitt etc.: Good seeing you guys again, if I was going to travel OoS to a tournament I'd def. want to go out there, you guys are funny mother ****ers. Prob. won't happen tho.

DoH: Good seein you again sir, always good talking **** to you.

Rockcrock: old mother ****er, good seein you out here too.

Hayato: blast from the past baby

PB & J: Nice to finally meet you.

Nintendude: thx for teaming with me, lol we got rocked, good **** in 64 tho.

Dude, I played so many people at this thing, if I forgot you let me know and I'll add you in this ****.

Good **** to Alex Strife and his staff, this tournament started out really unorganized, but pulled it all together by the end. The sheer magnitude of this event was very impressive. Job well done.

Aight, I said this was gonna be my last big tournament OoR, but now that you nerds are donating up the *** for EVO, I guess I'll have to make it out to that ****. Should of at least got top 17 at this thing, Not happy with my performance here, gonna get you ****s next time.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
This was a really great event. I really enjoyed it even though I could barely get any melee friendlies in. That room was too packed, lol.

tarheeljks - I'm sure I would have beaten you in game 3 had I played a bit smarter or gone falco :[

yeroc - thanks for fixing my controller!

cmart, jcaesar, strong bad - it was great seeing you guys again. hopefully we can meet again at genesis 3. :D

vwins - your ivy's too good

reflex - it was fantastic meeting you. your wario and ivy are legit haha

scythe - wolf and space animals in general are ridiculous :<

zwarm - it was great seeing you again, but we didn't get to play much :(

teczero - haley! :3 we didn't get to really do anything this time though :(

mizuk - your pit is beast!

internet explorer - it was nice seeing you again. I can't believe you housed so many people. the fest after apex was really fun

GTZ - Thanks for the dissension shirts! We're always glad to help with events in any way possible. :)

triad_prodigy

Smash Journeyman
Had a really great time playing smash at apex this year but had an even better time seeing all these awesome people. I dont go out to many majors let alone tournaments anymore so to make it out of pools for melee really put a smile on my face

Shoutouts

Mav: Really great seeing you again man. I enjoy hanging out with you and just shooting the smash bull with you. Fun guy to be around. Shame no Umbra or Melon :(

Zhea: yoooooo seeing that put a smile on my face. You were really fun to hang out with its a shame we didnt get any friendlies in :(

Brett: Very fun hanging out with you dude. Def one of the coolest people I met at this tournament. Keep working on that Link and make mow rage some more. That is a true testament to your skill.

mow/max: Was awesome seeing you at this years apex. It really did make the trip that much more worthwhile. Love seeing you man. Also, you are still disgusting with your zelda and fox (and pretty much half of the cast). Hopefully next time ill be able to take a round off ya :). PS- Hope you are feeling ok, sorry my bad luck with cars rubbed off on you.

Cactuar/Charles: WTF WE NEVER GOT OUR MATCHES. Is this what its like when doves cry? Either way it was great seeing you again and its a shame we didnt get to talk more but I have a feeling you will be seeing more of me in the coming months.

Hbox/Plup/Over/Bluigi/Straw anyone else at Simons: Was really fun rooming with you guys. All of you were really fun to be around and in general great people. Shoutouts to the fox pillow and shine texts waking me up at 7 in the morning.

Tope: Holy crap dude it was amazing seeing you again. I didnt recognize you at all and felt terrible about it. Hope everything is going well and looking at the results it seems you are still a beast. Keep on keeping on.

Mr. Alex (Johnathan Lugo) Strife: Seing you cry at the end after I told you that you were the real winner of Apex almost made me tear up a bit myself. You really are the star of the show here so thank you for everything. The amount of effort and love you put into this community blows my mind. If everyone had half of what you possess i'm pretty sure the world would be a much better place.

Prog: LL 4 lyfe <3. Was fun meeting you and hanging out with you briefly over the weekend. You are about as charming as you are in real life as you are on stream :). Keep doing the amazing work you are doing because with you there would be a huge gaping hole in the community.

Dark Peach: I was that clown you were talking to at the lunch table on day 3 for hours. Had wayyyy too much fun talking smash theory with you. You're a great player and a great dude. I felt lousy not getting out of pools for brawl but seeing your passion towards peach and other low tiers is really pushing me to take my Luigi to the next level. Keep doing what you are doing man its great.

Shoutouts to pool 11- Was fun sticking by you guys for like 5 hours cause our pool was so screwed up.

=THE CALLOUT=Simon: Would have said something in person but I thought AJ had taken care of it. Really weak for not taking responsibility and helping AJ pay for his ticket that you got him. He even drove around your boys not asking for anything in return. The least you could have done was give him his money back considering the sleeping arrangements and everything else. Other than that you seemed like a cool dude so it is what it is.

I know I'm forgetting a few people and for that I apologize.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
1: Salem :zerosuitsamus: ($3,285.00)
^
^
^
^
^

But then i put on the lens of truth and saw the REAL results
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
2: Mew2King :metaknight: ($1,642.50)
3: Otori :metaknight: ($722.70)
4: Nairo :metaknight: ($394.20)
5: Anti :metaknight:($164.25)
9: Dojo :metaknight:
9: Zero :metaknight:
13: Rain :metaknight:
13: Ally :metaknight:
17: Havok :metaknight:
17: Pwii :metaknight:
17: Kakera :metaknight:
17: Nakat :metaknight:
17: Tyrant :metaknight:
25: Seibrik :metaknight:
25: Bloodcross :metaknight:
25: Atomsk :metaknight:
33: Koolaid :metaknight:
33: Fow :metaknight:
33: Lie :metaknight:
33: Tearbear :metaknight:
49: Attila :metaknight:
49: Pelca :metaknight:
49: Jbandrew :metaknight:
49: Jtails :metaknight:
65: Sago :metaknight:
65: Hinkage :metaknight:
65: Zex :metaknight:
65: Orion :metaknight:
65: Croi :metaknight:
65: TO Joe :metaknight:
65: BJay :metaknight:
65: Smurf :metaknight:
97: Red-X :metaknight:
97: YoshQ :metaknight:
97: DLA :metaknight:
97: Poyo :metaknight:
97: RJ :metaknight:
97: Cheese :metaknight:
97: :metaknight:
97: Inui :metaknight:

shotouts to Xyro77 for 15/32 are MK

People literally and figuratively pay money (in some case, multiple hundreds of dollars) in order to see this at apex

edit: but seriously its so refreshing to see a REAL character winning a major tournament. Not just that but it was done with flash too. some of the best matches i saw on stream was from salem. not that it matters coming from me but congrats to salem.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
holy **** this^ post killed me LOL

SHOUTOUTS TO ALEX STRIFE AND CRISMAS AND THE REST OF THE APEX STAFF FOR DOING SUCH A FAN-****ING-TASTIC JOB AT THIS TOURNAMENT I really wannt help you guys get volunteer stuff sorted out next year if yuo'll have me :)

=SHOUTOUTS TO J FOR TEAMING WITH ME I HAD A BLAST WITH YOU!

SHOUTOUTS TO LAUREN AND SFA FOR DUBS FRIENDLIES

SHOUTOUTS TO EVERYONE I PLAYED IN EVERYTHING

SHOUTOUTS TO EVERYONE WHO SIGNED MY CONTROLLERS

SHOUTOUTS TO KAKERA FOR LOOKING CUTER IN MY DEDEDE HAT THAN I DO (THAT'S NOT HARD TO PULL OFF OR ANYTHING BUT HOLY **** CUTE!!!)

SHOUTOUTS TO EVERYONE I HAD A JIGGLYPUFF DITTO WITH

SHOUTOUTS TO EVERYONE I HUNG OUT AND TALKED TO GOD DAMN THERE WERE A LOT OF YOU

SHOUTOUTS TO SALEM, I SUSTAINED INJURIES WHEN I FACEPLANTED THE FLOOR WHEN YOU WON WFS, I WILL ACCEPT YOUR SECOND TICKET TO ST. MAARTEN TO MAKE IT UP TO ME TIA

EVERYONE SHOULD ADD ME ON FACEBOOK RIGHT NOW MY NAME IS "NESS MAIN" (not trolling that actually is my fb name, my profile picture is me in bed with red x)

OH AND ONE FINAL SHOUTOUT TO:

HOLY **** I AM TALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Hey Xyro, of the 39 you listed, only about 29 main mk. That number leaves 22% of the final bracket as metaknight mains. Honestly, that isn't that bad of a statistic. One out of every 5 people use mk. In many fighters, the top character or characters are used by almost 50% of the players as their primary.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Some of the people have weird character usage btw. Nakat surely used more ICs than MK if he even used MK at all. Pretty sure Croi went mainly Wario and RJ mainly Lucario.

Ally also went almost all Snake so I'm very confused as to why that list is showing as if all those people went mostly MK in bracket, cause they didn't.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Is there any footage of hype Brawl sets - read Mr-R's slaughter - which weren't on stream ?

JTsm

Smash Master
I love watching Xyro post with those gifs xD

People need to be more like Salem.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Time to gauge my improvement. Apex 2012 was my first ever tournament and I was lucky enough to spectate at Apex 2013.

Apex 2012

- Pikachu main
- Did not L-cancel or have knowledge of how to
- Thought that L-canceling made everything on shield safe
- Did not use wavedashing
- Did not take a game off anyone
- Did not JC grab
- Literally only used uair, nair, dair, ftilt, fsmash, and usmash
- Was too afraid to sit down and play people for fear of not being good enough :(

Apex 2013

- Samus main (funsies with Falcon)
- L-cancel everything(unless I'm autocancelling some Falcon stuff)
- Knowledge of the game increased 10 fold(frame data, goals of the player, playstyles, and much much more.)
- Wavedash with every character I play like it's nobody's business.
- Have taken sets of people in local tournament matches.
- JC grab everything(except with Samus, situation depending)
- I use every move at my disposal each with their own situational purpose
- I have angular attacks and I abuse all of them at will
- Beginnings of shield dropping to remove myself from being trapped on platforms in shield
- I no longer have to watch my character as I play. I know where I am, what my character is doing and have my full undivided attention focused on my opponent.
- Not afraid to sit down with anyone and have a match with them.
- No more negative pre-match thoughts regardless of opponent skill level
- The patience and discipline to play whatever playstyle I need to win regardless if my opponent thinks Samus is g@y or not :awesome:
- Autocancelling and edgecancelling Falcon stuffs
- Triple and quad knees with Falcon feels soooooooooo good to finally be able to do it one year later :smirk:
- Studying my opponents habits mid-match.
- Making reads off said habits and punishing them severely
- Conditioning my opponent and controlling their space

Apex 2014

- Make bracket at Apex 2014
- Top 4 at a local
- ???
- ???

A lot of things can change in one year and nothing would have changed about me without the help of the smash community. To all the new players, there are no limits.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
i played so bad that i even didnt get mentioned on the shoutoutlist

:'(
Hey were you that Brawl player from Germany that talked to me on Sunday??? I had a winter hat on, tall white guy, gray shirt I think? And my friend had a maroon hoodie and long hair. I think we asked you which countries in Europe had the best melee scene.

LOE1

Smash Lord
wonder who else will have the patience to do shoutlikes like zinoto lol

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I think the pool system we used this year worked nad saved a LOT of time. I also think we should only take top 2 for next year cause I think only the BEST should make it out. GF shouldnt be played out but the rest should. Either that or make the pools have more people. Things we can look at for next weekend.

Top Bottom