• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Apex 2013 Results Thread | Jan 11-13, 2013 | New Brunswick NJ

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
And not a single Peach made bracket this year. Man I wish I had enough cash to enter so I can put one in there.

Tourny was fun and glad I was about to get some money last second to spend the weekend and chill. Been to ever apex so there was no way in hell I was gonna miss this one and not support my boy Alex strife.

My Peach was going in in friendlies and had alot of fun. Got alot of good comments all weekend about how my peach is insane and wanted to see me enter this thing. Think I played well this weekend and learned that I have to go back in the lab and brush up on fighting olimar and snake again. So it was also a good learning experience to see what I need to improve on. Other match ups I got alot of practice on and was shutting it down. So I'll be tourny ready soon.

Good games to all that I played. I played so many people cant remember you all. Thanks to all that believed in me as a peach main and player in general. This weekend you guys made me go hard even for friendlies and unleash the demon inme, along with salem making me wanna take this game hella serious now and become a top player with a mid tier character people think is ****.

This weekend has open my eyes from both melee and brawl and made me realize how foolish I have been other the years as doubting myself. And never being able to play on point due to my mental depression and anxiety in tourny matches. But now I'm gonna finally deal with it. Training mode for hours each day when I am free, both melee and brawl (and maybe project M) Im in it to win it now and think its time I showed the world what I can really do. No more giving up easy wins in tourny matches and playing basic.

So Alex, good **** this weekend. You already know and thanks for everything as usual. I'll see you guys around.

M@v

Subarashii!
Shoutoutssssss

First of all, thanks Alex Strife for putting all this together. Thanks to all of your staff for doing a great job of running this as well. Best APEX of the four for sure, and probably the best tourney I've ever been to. This tournament re-kindled my passion for smash, especially brawl. I was leaning towards hanging it up in brawl after apex before the tourney happened; not anymore.

Bracket shoutouts first because its easier to organize this way, the rest after that. Forgive typos; there was a lot to type and I probably made a couple.

1: Salem ($3,285.00)- Wow. I never thought I'd see the day. This was one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen. And you never lost your nerves. Congratulations man, you deserve this.

2: CT EMP Mew2King ($1,642.50)- See what happens when you don’t give up? Also, I think your performance this tourney was even more awe-inspiring than Salem. Why? Because you dominated in EVERY smash event here. You didn’t drop below top 3 in Melee or brawl singles or doubles. I think the reason the crowd usually cheered against you in the past was because 95% of the time you weren’t the underdog, whether it be against a lower tier character, or an up and coming player, and human tendency is to root for the underdog. This tournament though, you were inspiring. You’ve earned +1000 respect points from me good sir. Enjoy the prize money, and come back and tackle the one obstacle you have left next year; winning a singles event at APEX. You are knocking on the door already.

4: Nairo ($394.20)- Sadly, I knew you had lost the set vs Otori after game 4, because of how you reacted. Instead of shaking it off, it was obvious the lost got to you and shook you. I was discussing this during your set with Anti. You probably have the most raw talent of anyone in this tourney. But I wasn’t sure if you would do better than Anti if you won, because although anti doesn’t have quite the same skill, he rarely ever gets rattled. What you need to focus on is controlling your emotion and nerves. Don’t let them consume you in a set. As emotion goes up, rationale goes down. As I said, you might be the most talented player in the world. You just need conquer the mental battleground. Do that, and you’ll be an unstoppable force.

5: Anti ($164.25)- http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/815/lol-guy.jpg <--your face during inui’s set.
9: DEHF- Good job Larry as usual. Keep digging and you’ll break back into top 5. P.S. You’re such a showoff bdacusing out of taunts, I saw that :awesome:
13: ESAM- I go to get lunch and you beat Javi, *******. <3. Good stuff in both games, thanks for the consolation hug after I got destroyed by javi, but I took a stock so I was satisfied xD. Also, YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
13: Vinnie- GGs. I know the counterpick seemed crazy, but I knew MK wasn’t going to work. I did a lot better game two than I expected to do as well. Good job with the high placing.
17: Zinoto- I failed you, not making it to play you in pools. At least I still got out though.
17: Nakat- Fox brethren shoutout.
25: Seibrik- ggs. I’ll get you yet :p
25: Bloodcross- ggs in friendlies, but stop getting so flustered over friendlies 
25: Earth- ggs. Lol I got wreckkeddddd. You’re way better now than when I played you in my 2010 pool.
25: Nick Riddle- :awesome: good seeing you again
33: Rich Brown- ggs, fun friendlies
33: Tinman- We need to bring the URC back together for one final ruling: the official stance on flicker counter picking.
33: Xzax- Good job
33: Lie- ggs in friendlies
33: MVD- yoo good stuff i
49: Luigi-Player- fun friendlies. If fox players really do look up to me in Europe, I’m honored. That gives me motivation to push even harder with him. Tell them to look up to NAKAT and Zeton as well though :D
49: Will-mm to be continued. I’ve come close so many times, but I will get you soon >:p. Good job vs Hinkage btw. Was fun watching the live stream setup with you and tin man for a while too.
49: Jbandrew- Thanks for the friendlies. They helped a bunch.
49: DJ Jack- Florida
49: QuikSilver- ggs. Man your ZSS in insane in the Falco mu. I never had my hands full like that in the mu before.
65: NEO- This man was hilarious during melee Grand Finals loll.
65: Kingtoon- yo good stuff.
65: Roller- yoooooooooooooooooooooooo
65: Fino- Good friendlies.
65: Kiraflax- aaaahhhh curse my bad di T_T. I really should have had this one, but well played and ggs. Since I beat your ROB though, I am still undefeated vs rob in tournament <3
65: Ryo - *makes popping sound with mouth*
65: Mike Ray- ggs in pools
65: TO Joe thanks for the friendlies: D
65: Smurf- Good to see this guy still at tourneys.
65: Seagull Joe- I’ll talk to you sometime soon about housing.
65: Zeton- We finally got to play :D. Also, good **** vs Razer, epic pic is epic.
65: Trump- Good **** vs Chibo in singles, and in our doubles match.
65: Keitaro- Great job helping to run this event!
97: Ed- BODY BAG! BODY BAG! BODY BAG!
97: M@v- For not practicing for APEX, not bad, especially since you were so close to 65th. Imagine if you had actually practiced though? I think I know what needs to be done now :)
97: RJ- Good job running the tourney.
97: Inui- We didn’t get to play =3
Ripple-Was super fun teaming man!
Chibo- Rob bodies fox, amirite? :troll: Good job with the epic livestream throughout the weekend!
Kiester-ggs
Ralph Cecil-great seeing you here :)

MELEE:
Pittsburgh- Love you all <3
Prodigy and Kite: Great seeing fellow crew rep here. Good stuff in melee you two :)
H-Box: You’ll get it next time man. I could tell that last loss hurt . It was great talking to you again though.
PP: Oh my goodness. This marth along with M2K’s inspired me. Massive props sir.
Javi: ggs. I had fun getting destroyed by you haha.

Everyone I played in melee: ggs
Shoutouts to Florida, YES, bodybags, and Mink.
Shoutouts to Japan and the rest of the international attendees.
Shoutouts to Flicker Counter Picks
Shoutouts to all 10,000 live stream viewers
Shoutouts to me winning matches in melee
Shoutouts to Alex’s U-haul truck full of TVs.
Shoutouts to R U Hungry
Shoutouts to anything I forgot; this was a loonnnggg list.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
ATTENTION EVERYONE

I'm the one who had the extremely flashy controller stolen, and offered a cash reward for its return. That offer still stands. If ANYONE sees my controller, please send it either to me, or Alex Strife if you wish to remain anonymous. I don't care how it gets back to me, as long as it eventually does.

It is an Emerald Front, with Clear back. It lights up blue when plugged in, and when rumble activates, it flashes purple. It has a classic controller stick, instead of a regular gamecube controller. It also has a mix of black phillips screws, and regular nintendo security screws.

I'm currently offering a $50 cash reward for its return. The controller holds a ridiculous amount of sentimental value to me. The person who introduced competitive melee to me gave it to me in 2007 when he retired. It has gone to literally every tournament I have EVER attended.

A lot of stuff was stolen from me over the course of the weekend, but all I really care is if I can get my baby back. Thanks to JR, Fullmetal, the east coast players, and Alex Strife for helping me look for it at the venue, even though it never did show up.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
Yo, that Florida AND MINK.

edit.

That controller sounds hype.
Someone stop being a ****.
Or you're gonna get Body Bagged.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info. It still quite strange, though, and I'd be curious to see the bracket because one of the likeliest scenario would demonstrate a flaw in this bracket system.
From the original, he would have beaten Knut before losing to Vish. In the other winners' semi, Copycat would have beaten Rockcrock, creating a losers' bracket with NamiNami and RockCrock on one side (+ a few other players like you), while Copycat and Knut were on the other side. Knut and RockCrock won, making it to the bracket. But it also means that despite winning against those who made it to the bracket, Copycat and NamiNami were eliminated. This kind of scenario can happen in regular pools, but here it doesn't give them the opportunity to play against those who take their spot in the bracket.
In short : if my assumptions are true, it's (in my opinion) another argument against this system.
that is exactly what happened and i agree, i thought that was very messed up.

NamiNami

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I agree it was tough for me, but both Vish and RockCrock played better than me so they deserved the spots in the big bracket.

Next time I'll prepare myself better with Samus and Ganondorf matchups. Knut played Samus and our set was very close.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You know in this tournament it made me realize the level of every smasher is stronger than it was in 2012, it's pretty high up there now. I was wondering.. could that push new players away from smash or is it more inspiring for new players to come in?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
You know in this tournament it made me realize the level of every smasher is stronger than it was in 2012, it's pretty high up there now. I was wondering.. could that push new players away from smash or is it more inspiring for new players to come in?
From my experience, it's been the former. People have said straight up they don't think they could get good enough because they just feel like they'll get wrecked the whole time.

R3N0

Smash Lord
Dude, too many people to shout out. I'm glad I helped out in regards to reffing instead of just like sitting there playing friendlies for days. I got to meet a LOT of new people!!!!!!!!! (Some I should have met long ago)

AHHH TOO MANY tO SHOUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

But if you and I had any sort of interaction this tournament, you helped make it awesome ^^

M@v

Subarashii!
I mean I just started melee in november and won a match in both singles and doubles here. I don't feel im too far behind. Then again though, I have 4 years of brawl under my belt, so I already understand the intangibles and mindgames and stuff. I simply need to transition to melee's physics and master the added technical aspect rather than having to learn all the other stuff too. Its definitely not easy, but I have a much better advantage than someone starting completely fresh.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Dude, too many people to shout out. I'm glad I helped out in regards to reffing instead of just like sitting there playing friendlies for days. I got to meet a LOT of new people!!!!!!!!! (Some I should have met long ago)

AHHH TOO MANY tO SHOUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

But if you and I had any sort of interaction this tournament, you helped make it awesome ^^
that friendlies tv with you/me/cyrain/hdl/ie6 was too hype

also after playing everyone, it made me realize i'm not as far behind everyone as I thought.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
why is my name "StrongBad" in the singles results...? it has a space in it

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Merge is happening right now, things might look wonky for a few minutes.

EDIT: The merging is complete, please note I believe posts are ordered based on time stamps.

JTsm

Smash Master
M2k's earnings: $3198.15

Salem's earnings: $3,285.00

lol

Asa

Smash Hero
shoutouts to salem for making WF and GF really exciting to watch

5: Anti ($164.25) - Thanks for the matches! I've really wanted to play you :D
7: Mr. R ($98.55) - Nice to see you again bro :) Too bad we couldn't hang out as long as we did at SKTAR.

7: Dabuz ($98.55) - My niga Dabuzzzz~ Was really happy to see you do well and to see you again, hope you enjoyed dat massage from your favorite purple pikmin ;)

9: Dojo - bad
9: DEHF - wished i hung out with you more bro :(
13: ESAM - ehrmegurd
17: Zinoto - nice seeing you again too :)
17: Pwii :zerosuitsamus: tho ;)
17: Nakat - LoF!!! good stuff at the tourney!
17: Tyrant - Biggest shoutout to you baby for honing my focus and getting me relaxed :) You hogged mikeneko tho ;L

25: Shaky - I only was coaching tinman cuz I knew you'd **** ;) Always nice to see mah twin
25: Denti - I openly meatride you know bby <3
25: Leon - Doubles friendlies was sooo funn XDD
33: Waymas - ggs bro!
33: Rich Brown - don't get too mad bro :(
33: Fow- thanks for the mm and friendlies! I always love playing with you, and it was good to see some improvement from me
33: Tinman - :troll: good stuff placing above me tho XD
33: Razer - zeton
33: Tearbear - **** your goddamn stare!
33: MVD - ehrmegurd im bad ;L
33: MJG - regional smoke sesh!
49: Attila - ggs bro :)
49: Will - always nice to see you again man :) Lets team at our next tourney!!!!
49: Pelca - good seeing you too niga
49: Kairo - hot and olimar, perfect.

65: KillLock - loved chilling with you bro :) <3 canada
65: Z - thanks for paying me back! I'll visit vegas soon
65: Roller: Dat BigD practice ;D
65: Fino - feenoh stahhhp
65: Mikekirby - shoutouts to this guy for making shadow1pj's life in texas a big joke from now on :troll:
65: Croi - ggs, congrats on your wins :D
97: YoshQ - ggs !!
97: Sky - east side west side north side south side we in the side! haheljlkjfhh

and shoutouts to the hyatt for providing liquor for me

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Lots of hype matches, 8wayrun sure got their videos up fast. Can't wait to see all the vids. It's pretty awesome that over 11 years after melee came out that tournaments are still this huge/hype.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
mangonation is dead. :( lol at conspiracy theories he just doesn't have it anymore.

btw unrelated but yet another national where fox is always regarded as the best character and literally never wins.

Through all their reigns from ken to marth, pc started as fox but dethroned ken with falco, m2k with marth, mango dethroned m2k with jiggs and dominated with falco, hbox with jiggs, armada with peach.... fox has never been at the top.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Thanks for the info. It still quite strange, though, and I'd be curious to see the bracket because one of the likeliest scenario would demonstrate a flaw in this bracket system.
From the original, he would have beaten Knut before losing to Vish. In the other winners' semi, Copycat would have beaten Rockcrock, creating a losers' bracket with NamiNami and RockCrock on one side (+ a few other players like you), while Copycat and Knut were on the other side. Knut and RockCrock won, making it to the bracket. But it also means that despite winning against those who made it to the bracket, Copycat and NamiNami were eliminated. This kind of scenario can happen in regular pools, but here it doesn't give them the opportunity to play against those who take their spot in the bracket.
In short : if my assumptions are true, it's (in my opinion) another argument against this system.
I was in this pool, and I agree that it had extremely weird results lol. I thought it was kind of unfair to both NamiNami and Copycat, but at the same time, I wasn't sure if they should've made it out, or if RockCrock/Knut should've made it out. Either way, my pools results shows that this bracket pools system can end up kinda weird =/
Idk what to make of it.

:phone:

Top Bottom