• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2010-2011 Super Smash Bros. Melee MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggm

Smash Hero
M2K's tier list

Jiggs
Falco
Fox (I think Falco is better)

Sheik

Marth

Peach
C.falcon

ICs

Doc
Ganon

DK

Samus
Pikachu
Luigi
Mario

Link
YLink
Roy
Zelda
GW

Yoshi
Mewtwo/Pichu (Pichu can auto-win on FD vs spacies cuz of CGs, and nair combo characters across the stage / tech chase them with it)
Bowser

Ness/Kirby (worst 2 by FAR)
I've never seen such a perfect tier list I didn't write myself.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
mario in low?

guess scorp eh dorp's mario metagame was too good for MBR's tier list to influence it in the least bit

:laugh:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Pretty good list. I don't like the thought of ties, but at the same time, you can't satisfy everyone... and in most cases the characters that are tied are indeed almost too close to call. Good stuff MBR.

IShouldBeStudying

Smash Apprentice
I hate how random nubs just come on here and scream "OMG ____ SHOULD BE ABOVE ____!" instead of actually typing something of substance.
I like the new list. I guessed jiggs would get a huge jump after the past 2-ish years of tournaments.

Question: In the top tier, does that mean Fox > Falco > Jiggs? Or does that mean they all tie? Or was it really close, and the MBR kept arguing about it and someone said "F___ it" and just clustered them?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes, any characters that share a line in the tier list are considered to be tied.
zelda is not bottom tier and pika is not low
You propose a powerful and convincing argument. My mind has been changed.

Additionally, the new tiers of "Upper" and "Negligible" mean that mid, low, and bottom no longer have the same general amount of indicated viability as in past tier lists. The new list more accurately separates the characters onto groups of similar tournament viability.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
But u no what doesnt get taken away when u play puff???

your smarts and your ability to hit her.. you only have to hit her like 10 times..

and yeah if she lives to 150 thats alright... there is gonna be stocks where u kill her at 70

JUST BECAUSE IT TAKES AWAY ALL OF UR Great things comboing gimping is all you and armada.. u guys both rely on combos and edgeguarding

WHILE mango just relys on out smarting people and has all that other great stuff to

get with the times dawg.. in about a year combos will be non existent due to everyone having amazing DI.. and only falco will have combos LOL
This.

even if hugs is "just one person," hes done a helluva lot better job at proving samus' viability than any ganon has.

tell me again who ganon "man-handles"? im pretty sure both ganon and samus have a tough time against the upper characters

edit:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257235

it even says there that samus actually has better matchups against the top 8 or so if u tally up the relative MU scores.
They're probably totally wrong.

Jiggs stuff.
You should try it in a tournament someday and see how well you do.

Low Tier stuff.
This. Fortunately, most characters have at least one player representing them (HDL, Mofo, Bunbun, Ripple, etc). Hopefully more become national level players like Axe and Taj.

puff could only argue to be better because shes **** 10 times easier to play then spacies ******

I could play puff on hangovers .. cant play spacies on those days
Apparently not against Kage.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Fox/Falco/Puff

HIGH
Sheik
Marth

UPPER
Peach
Falcon

MIDDLE
Ice Climbers
Samus/Ganon
Doc Mario

LOW
Mario/Pikachu
Luigi/DK
Link

BOTTOM
Zelda
Mewtwo
Roy/Young Link
Game and Watch

NEGLIGIBLE
Yoshi/Pichu/Bowser/Ness/Kirby

GENGAR
Gengar (Master Hand and other glitches)
[/CENTER]
The new tier list is pretty good, but I still don't like that there are so many tiers.

I still think there should be 5 tiers (like the good ol days)

tier1: usually wins tournaments, has good match ups versus other top contenders
tier2: does well in tournaments and sometimes wins, has a few bad match ups
tier3: can do well in tournaments or can win under rare circumstances
tier4: can be played in a competitive way but has difficulty versus most characters
tier5: difficult to play competitively, user discretion advised

here is what I think, not that anyone really cares.

~TOP~
Falco
Fox
Puff

~HIGH~
Sheik
Marth
Peach
Falcon
Ice Climbers

~MIDDLE~
Samus
Ganondorf
Doctor Mario
Mario
Pikachu
Luigi
Donkey Kong

~LOW~
Link
Young Link
Mewtwo
Zelda
Game & Watch

~BOTTOM~
Yoshi
Roy
Pichu
Ness
Bowser
Kirby

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Negligible tier with everyone on the same level is such a cop out...

yoshi is like, at least 1 whole tier better than Kirby/Ness. AT LEAST.

and wow, wtf is with the difference between Link and Y. Link in the tiers. That's such crap. There is just absolutely no way M2 > Y. Link and I personally think the fact that Y. Link can actually beat up on floaties is infinitely more valuable than Zelda kick spamming.

The whole list really starts falling apart after Low Tier, but I think just in general the idea of having characters leveled out is just the easy way out... Make some controversal placements, explain them, spark some discussion in the community. I dunno, it just seems like the whole list is made to try to make everyone in the community happy and I just don't see the value in something that's 100% trying to be a crowd pleaser.

GofG

Smash Champion
and wow, wtf is with the difference between Link and Y. Link in the tiers. That's such crap. There is just absolutely no way M2 > Y. Link and I personally think the fact that Y. Link can actually beat up on floaties is infinitely more valuable than Zelda kick spamming.
<3 mogwai

bring back the FBH avatar and sig please

Chexr

Smash Ace
and I personally think the fact that Y. Link can actually beat up on floaties is infinitely more valuable than Zelda kick spamming.
Well you're wrong because Zelda absolutely ***** certain characters and really should be up in middle.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
This tier list is lazy and having the upper tier is not needed at all.

Sheik and marth should both still be top and i dont see a reason to have them both fall a tier into stupid in between tier anyway

And like i said this list is lazy you guys really couldn't spend an extra hour to figure out who goes were i the negligible tier, i mean really yoshi is clearly better then bowser. To be honest even through its written as if they are all equal if the order was the same as it looks if u read it left to right it makes sense placement wise for all the characters

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Pikachu certainly deserved a promotion. Made Link drop a bit though. :(

Jiggs is stupidly good, just plays too much like Brawl. :( Still like her though... She can actually combo.

Dart!

Smash Master
Yes, any characters that share a line in the tier list are considered to be tied.

You propose a powerful and convincing argument. My mind has been changed.

Additionally, the new tiers of "Upper" and "Negligible" mean that mid, low, and bottom no longer have the same general amount of indicated viability as in past tier lists. The new list more accurately separates the characters onto groups of similar tournament viability.
Obviously i didn't provide a good argument because i don't need to argue with 100+ people gunning against me, its a waste of time.

om noms though :)

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
been reading alot of expected complaints, but i'm curious..why is DOC a whole tier above mario/weegee? like what matchups for doc are so noticably better? i know the pills **** but still?

also LOL why is DK as high as he is? cause he ***** soem heavies? pretty sure he needs a replacement

Niko45

Smash Master
Takes like no effort for anyone who's even a semi-active melee player to know inherently that the tiers generally break down like this. There's no actual progress being made here except stating the obvious flat out for the 'tards who think puff is like high/mid tier or that Marth is the best in the game.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
To everyone who thinks that falco or jigs is the best character in the game-you're a moron.

Marth being 5th is a joke and no offense, so is most of this list.

90% of this tier list looks based off tournaments but then there's fox at top still. Strongly inconsistent compiled data to me.

How is sheik better than marth? Because she's used more? Loses to jigs, fox, and even w spacies. Whoopty do...she can **** low tiers but so does marth if you aren't stupid.

my list

Fox
Falco
marth or jigs
Marth or jigs
Sheik
Falcon
Peach

Ill say it again but all I have to say is to allllll the people who told me falco was the best, "you're ********."

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
MBR is ****ing ********. The placement of Gengar is totally wrong.

Gengar's combination of power and unpredictability make it a potent offensive threat. It has an excellent movepool backed up with great Speed and impressive Special Attack. Gengar's immunity to the popular Ground- and Fighting-type attacks (and Normal-type ones too) allows it plenty of opportunities to switch in and wreak havoc. Despite its immense power, Gengar does have its drawbacks. Its atrocious defensive stats means it will take massive damage from even neutral STAB attacks, while its weakness to Dark means it can be easily Pursuited by Tyranitar or Scizor if it isn't careful. However, its frailty shouldn't deter you from using Gengar—its wide range of powerful and disruptive moves make it a threat to even the best-prepared teams.

Gengar's high Speed and Special Attack stat alongside its helpful Ghost-type STAB make it a good candidate for use in Ubers. Gengar has access to STAB Shadow Ball to hit the many Psychic- and Ghost-types of Ubers for super effective damage. It also gains very useful Normal- and Fighting-type immunities with its Ghost typing, the former allowing it to revenge kill Rayquaza, who would normally annihilate faster Pokemon with a boosted ExtremeSpeed. It has its downsides, however, as its paper-thin defenses will crumble under any attack that isn't Ground-, Normal-, Bug-, or Fighting-type. If you can see past its extreme frailty, though, Gengar can be a force to reckon with.

Ivy73

Smash Rookie
I don't like the fact that YLink fell a little, but I do like the fact that Mewtwo took a huge leap up...But what's with all the ties(especially all the low tiers tied for 22nd)?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yo guys Mario is clearly the best char and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and stupid, even though my name is Random **** #87 and haven't done well at all at even regional tournies, nor have I otherwise displayed great knowledge of the competitive metagame or analytical skills through my writing. Try to prove me wrong; my argument of "no that argument doesn't work and anyone who uses it is stupid for doing so" is infallible. My e-***** is huge.

Also the MBR doesn't know **** about this game man, I'm starting my own Back Room and it'll be better than the MBR by five million.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yo guys Mario is clearly the best char and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong and stupid, even though my name is Random **** #87 and haven't done well at all at even regional tournies, nor have I otherwise displayed great knowledge of the competitive metagame or analytical skills through my writing. Try to prove me wrong; my argument of "no that argument doesn't work and anyone who uses it is stupid for doing so" is infallible. My e-***** is huge.

Also the MBR doesn't know **** about this game man, I'm starting my own Back Room and it'll be better than the MBR by five million.
I don't get what you're going at here.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Mario
Pikachu
Luigi
DK
Link

Is what I'd like to put for low tier. Mario has CGs better combo starters and F-smash. He's also got a better edgeguard on Sheik. I think he's bad vs Puff tbh but so is Pikachu. Hard to decide though because these guys all do decently in different matchups.

Young Link
Game & Watch
Mewtwo / Zelda in some order
Roy

I'm not sure Roy is actually that awful since his DD grab and tech chase is pretty good. He's also beastly vs aerials because he has a sword. idk. I think Game & Watch's throw combos and dumb priority is worth a lot but nobody uses him so I can't back that up and Mewtwo seems to have about equally good stuff. Even on platform levels he can do a Sheik style tech chase with D-throw only it's better because if they DI in he gets a free combo so they can only initiate the tech chase one way so it's good for trapping them into predictable patterns. Zelda has kicks.

Yoshi
Bowser / Ness / Pichu
Kirby

Is what I'd do maybe. I dunno about Pichu being so high but Unknown's been talking to me a lot about him and he seems a bit better than I give him credit for and it's not like Bowser and Ness aren't awful characters too or something. Pichu has speed and a better Uair on all three of them, a better Nair, and mobility that allows for a more cohesive moveset. His game is limited, sure, but so is Ness's.

Maybe I haven't played Mofo. Idk.

IShouldBeStudying

Smash Apprentice

quoted for truth...

lol, i love how ness is so lower on the list now. makes me feel better about beating people with him. :) [no, ness is NOT my main.]

BBQ°

Smash Champion
puff is top tier for the time being, just like how marth and sheik were top tier a few years ago.

just wait for the metagame to learn how to fight puff. jesus.

this tier list means nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom