• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago, the thread used to have a lot of "swordsmen bad" arguments, then it became more limited to "Fire Emblem bad" arguments.

Now the thread is (sometimes) able to discuss Fire Emblem (and/or a potential swordsman) in Smash for extended periods of time without engaging in pointless arguments.

We've definitely made some progress.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I don't think the violence itself would be the thing keeping MK out of Smash. It's more that the games aren't localized in Japan so it seem extremely unlikely that it would be added for that reason.
I don't meant as chance but rather how the concept of Mortal Kombat fit into Smash cause everyone seems liking to throw out "Mortal Kombat is brutal" argument.

I mean they could add a sweat particle everytime you hit an opponent just like in the censored version that appear on a Nintendo console.
given that you know, Smash is a Japanese game.
So, does this mean anything that is pretty big in Japan gets an advantage in terms of home turf?😬

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
We discussing FE roster reworks now?

I'd go with :ultmarth:, :ultchrom: as his echo, Lyn, :ultike:, :ultrobin:, :ultbyleth:.

Chrom makes a bit more sense than Lucina as an echo because imo he could be similar enough to be an echo, but also different enough to be interesting. Lacking a tipper mechanic actually makes sense for him considering Chrom is often seen as a very reliable unit damage-wise.

Lyn would be a very flashy sword character, way I see it. I would incorporate both her bow and FE's Critical Hits in her kit - both are things she's known for.

Ike is in a bit of a weird spot because he plays differently from his games, but I admittedly have some nostalgia towards the guy and he's popular, so I kinda don't know what to do with him. I'd love to see what could be done in terms of adding more FE mechanics to him, tbh.

The more I played Byleth, the more I felt like his implementation of the weapon triangle feels very cheap to me. Some time ago, I proposed a "Support-esque" passive for them. Byleth would use the Sword for all normals and his specials would summon an allied unit wielding a different weapon. Depending on which one you landed more hits with, Byleth would "choose" a specific House, granting benefits to that respective attack. To reset in case you wanted a different one, you'd use Divine Pulse, which could be a recovery or a shield special.

That's... pretty much it. Also, making Castle Siege more game-specific and having Grima as a boss to unlock Robin wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As far as FE goes I’d go back in time and replace Ike with Lyn, Corrin with Elma Azura, and Byleth with Edelgard. Gets the best blend of realistic options, characters I want, and uniqueness. Azura especially is the biggest missed opportunity considering she would’ve brought waterbending, singing/dancing, and a lance to the table. But if we’re completely rebooting the lineup for a Smash reboot I’d pick Marth + Lucina, Lyn, and Robin & call it a day.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
What my Fire Emblem roster for a Smash Reboot would be:
-Marth (Original swordsman)
-Ike (Popular character)
-Robin (Represents magic)
-Byleth (Weapon Triangle)
-Lyn (Pretty requested character)
-Black Knight (Villain rep)
That would be 6 reps.

And I would just keep Roy, Lucina, Corrin and Chrom out.
Edit: Never mind, I would have Lucina and Chrom as alt costumes or not.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Really baffles me that the Smash community as a whole just decided that the worst designed female FE MC I've ever seen should be the one that Byleth is known by.
View attachment 291342
On the plus side, at least I'm not alone in thinking "Oh thank God they chose the male one for the amiibo."
Am I the only one who actually doesn't mind the female design?

It... actually grew on me. Especially since it looks pretty good in Smash. :lol:

Point taken, I usually pick the Sothis alt when I play her in Smash, but that's because I really like Sothis, not because no leggings.

What if they scrapped the Fire Emblem franchise entirely in smash 6?
How would it change smash 6 DLC speculation if this happens?
That would actually make no sense now that the franchise actually sells. Three Houses just reached 3 million units sold, actually.

Fire Emblem is too much of a commercial success to be ignored nowadays, let alone cut in its entirety.

And even then, sales were never a factor or otherwise, the only retro rep we'd have would be Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And I would just keep Roy, Lucina, Corrin and Chrom out.
The issue with that is that they were so easy to implement into the game within all of their original inclusions is that there's no reason not to if Echoes take significantly less time to produce instead of fully developed characters. You better axe all clones if you're gonna avoid biases here.

Why cut echoes? I thought they didn't take up too much development time?
Exactly.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I know this is a Fire Emblem thread now but here's a question about newcomers for a change:

If you could choose which companies the next four characters will come from, which ones would you choose? You can't decide the characters themselves and all of them have to be a different company (that isn't Nintendo or Microsoft).

My picks would be:
SEGA = Because I'm a sucker for their games and very few of their characters would disappoint me.
Falcom = Honestly, I would be hyped for one of their games getting in seeing how I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Square-Enix = This one is riskier but there are so many interesting choices that at least it would be a nice surprise as long as it's not G***
Capcom = Everyone in this thread and their mothers seem to want another Capcom character. I'm one of them.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Why cut echoes? I thought they didn't take up too much development time?
I already mentionned it last night, but it's essentially people believing they take the spot of unique characters, which is far from the truth.

But might as well delve deeper on the subject since just saying words without backing them up doesn't bring a lot to speculation.

For a good comparison, Melee didn't have the time to add a 21st unique character, but it had the time to do 6 clones (:falcomelee::drmario::pichumelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:) for a fuller roster.

By that logic, someone might think that 7 clones could mean one unique character, since it'd take more time to make 7 clones than it would to make 6. That's a good logic, but Melee's clones had considerably more effort put into them to make them stand out than Ultimate did for their own Echoes, with none of them feeling like a complete copy of the character they're a clone of.

In fact, none of these Melee clones are considered Echo Fighters in Ultimate, even the ones that barely got any changes in moveset compared to how they were in Melee such as Pichu or Young Link.

Out of the seven Echoes we have in Ultimate that are classified as Echoes, only two of them match the amount of effort Melee did, being Lucina and Chrom, and there's a third one who is an Echo Fighter in name only for legacy reasons due to being the first "Echo Fighter" ever in any fighting game, being Ken.

And out of these three, Lucina is returning from Smash 4, meaning most the effort spent on her wasn't even done on Ultimate's development, so she'd have no effect on how much time Echo Fighters took for Ultimate. Dark Pit is a similar case of being a returning clone rather than a new one for Ultimate, except for the fact that he's a carbon copy of copy for all but two moves... which still have the same aminations.

So with all of that said, I don't think there's any realistic scenario where removing all the Echoes from Ultimate would've led to even a single unique character replacing them. With how identical some of them are to their originals, they likely barely took any time compared to a full-fledged unique newcomer.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You're going to have to give me a few hours of dedication if you want me to give you a bootleg Smashboards article
I wasn't lying when I said I'd do it. Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Do you think I did an alright job at copying the style?

scorpbio.png

That said I still need more time to clean things up, also I don't have that weird watermark logo articles have at the bottom right of actual articles so this is very much a bootleg article. Now people reading it when I publish it is an entirely different story.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I definitely think a Smash Reboot will have, at most, Seven Fighters. They are:
Marth, the OG,
Ike, the most Popular Male Character in Series History.
Lyn, the most Popular Female Character in Series History.
Byleth, the main character of the Best Selling Fire Emblem Game at the moment.
Robin, The DLC Magic User.
And Two Newer Lords because who knows how much time will pass between Ultimate and the Next Game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I know this is a Fire Emblem thread now but here's a question about newcomers for a change:

If you could choose which companies the next four characters will come from, which ones would you choose? You can't decide the characters themselves and all of them have to be a different company (that isn't Nintendo or Microsoft).
Both Square Enix and Capcom have such embarrassment of riches that (outside them double dipping in FFVII and SF2 for fighters) I wouldn't be disappointed in virtually any choice so definitely those two.

I'll probably with Konami next. Between Castlevania, Metal Gear, Contra, Silent Hill, Suikoden, and even something like Rocket Knight Adventures, there's still some potential for characters there.

Activision (Blizzard?) rounds it out for me. Crash/Spyro/Pitfall/Spacequest/Tenchu/King's Quest/ there's a lot of good choices. And even with Blizzard, Overwatch would be the only real underwhelming choice for characters.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

My picks would be:
SEGA = Because I'm a sucker for their games and very few of their characters would disappoint me.
Falcom = Honestly, I would be hyped for one of their games getting in seeing how I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Square-Enix = This one is riskier but there are so many interesting choices that at least it would be a nice surprise as long as it's not G***
Capcom = Everyone in this thread and their mothers seem to want another Capcom character. I'm one of them.
tbh i'd pretty much do your selection but swap out falcom for arcsys

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

My picks would be:
Bethesda
Activision
Ubisoft
Koei-Tecmo

What can I say, I’m a sucker for the “biggest gaming crossover ever” line and seeing these companies in would REALLY hammer that point home. Plus, all he’s companies have multiple characters I’d love to see. Bethesda has Dragonborn, Doom Slayer, and The Wanderer. Activision has Crash and Spyro. Ubisoft has Rayman, Ezio, and The Prince. And Koei-Tecmo has Ryza, William, and of course Ryu Hayabusa.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

My picks would be:
Square Enix = pretty much what you said, and I’d argue that FF and DQ were the hardest to work with, any other IPs should be easier in comparison (like NieR or TWEWY)
Falcom = not much to say here except I’d welcome any of Adol, Estelle or Rean
SEGA = possible choices include Yakuza and Puyo Puyo
Bandai Namco = FR!!! Why don’t they have a second rep yet! They’re helping develop the game for God’s sake

I would have said Capcom, but honestly Namco deserves it more

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

My picks would be:
For me?
  • NAMCO: Chosen Undead
  • SEGA: Sakura Shinguji
  • Square Enix: Sora
  • Activision: Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I guess:

Capcom
Square-Enix
Activision (just for Crash)
Koei Tecmo

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

My picks would be:
let's see....

Capcom- I like most of the realistic candidates.
Toby Fox - is this cheating? Toby Fox has only done Undertale/Deltarune (assuming ROM hacks are off the table), so I'm getting an Undertale character, it's just a matter of who.
5th Cell - same thing here. As far as I know, 5th cell has only done Scribblenauts and Drawn to Life, and I'm pretty sure there's not a consistent protagonist in the latter.
I don't have a fourth, so I'm just gonna sow chaos and go with Disney. Do we get Sora? Do we get Bill Cipher? Do we get Moe from the Simpsons? I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

My picks would be:
  • SEGA
  • Square Enix
  • Capcom
  • Koei Tecmo
The first three companies have plenty of characters that would make fantastic additions and the latter is definitely deserving to have a spot in Smash (whether it's Hayabusa, Kasumi, or maybe even a Dynasty Warriors rep).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

My picks would be:
Koei Tecmo - Notable japanese company currently absent in Smash as of current

Capcom.- Huge library of franchises to choose from. Imo, probably has the second best portfolio of japanese game franchises, only behind Nintendo.

Sega - again, great catalog of franchises to choose from.

Square Enix - once again, lots of diverse characters and franchises to choose from. Even if it's obvious only Gex stands a chance :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

My picks would be:
I guess I'd go

Valve = You really can't go wrong with any of their characters. From the chaotic cast of TF2, to the portal shenanigans of Chell, and to the myriad of sci-fi weaponry that Gordon Freeman has like the gravity gun.

Falcom = I've enjoyed researching their history and playing their games recently. Whether they go with Ys or Trails I'd be cool with it.

Capcom = Literally one of the most speculated third party companies and I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has at least one pick from Capcom they would like to see in Smash.

Koei Tecmo = Come on, this company is already involved with Smash what with the Fatal Frame AT and I'm surprised they still haven't gotten a playable fighter. Ultimately the character I want most would be Ryu Hayabusa, but I'd be fine if we got Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

My picks would be:
SEGA, Bandai-Namco, Innersloth and Activision. Innersloth literally cannot go wrong for me, and the other three I'm just feeling lucky.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Forget about oversensitivity, this thread just had several pages of uninterrupted FE discussion, and the only people who derailed the conversation were FE fans themselves lmao. Like, nobody was criticizing, nobody was interrupting them, nothing, but somehow we've already arrived at the "RENT FREE" stage of the conversation.

What did you expect? People were showing off the One True Sign that one is a Filthy FE Hater: Not having their ideal FE selection feature at least 20 reps.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

My picks would be:
If I can't choose, I think I'm going with
  • Capcom. A few of my most wanteds are from Capcom so that's a nice start, and even if the chosen one wasn't one of them, like most if not all of the realizable picks from Capcom would be cool in my eyes
  • Square Enix. It's curious because I'd say none of my most wanteds are from Square, but following this game, Square would be the wise choice for me. Most of the realizable options are solid picks for me, specially 2B.
  • Activision. Basically because I feel Activision is either Crash or absolutely nothing lol
  • Falcom. Somewhat similar reasoning with Capcom and Square. I like and I'm familiar with most of the realizable picks, Rean being the one I'm unfamiliar with, and regardless of that he seems cool in my eyes so I wouldn't have a problem with him.

For Koei I'm just interested in Hayabusa, so I didn't include them. Namco, with Tekken out of the running, I'm not super into the other choices. ArcSys would probably be a 50/50 between Guilty Gear and Blazblue and I don't know if I want to play it risky.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about Sega. Maybe I would include Sega in the list. Kiryu or a SMT character would be great for me, and then the likes of Arle, Axel Stone or Sakura would be solid picks for my taste.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

My picks would be:
Different companies but not Nintendo and Microsoft correct?
Sega: Of all the third party companies already in Smash with a playable character, Sega is really the only one that interests me the most for prospective newcomers.
Valve: The Orange Box really got me into Valve's games.
Mages (Was known as 5pb until 2019): Although I don't really know this company, Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds is pretty neat and I wouldn't say no to a character from that game making it in.
Koei Tecmo: Hyrule Warriors sold me on this company, now I really want a character from them.

KillerCage

Smash Master

My picks would be:
Capcom: Yes this is a obvious choice, but come on! There are so many characters to choose from.
Arc System Works: Considering I've been in a Blazblue mode recently, this shouldn't be a shock for you guys.
Bethesda: Doom, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls. Enough said.
Koei Tecmo: Mainly for Ninja Gaiden, but a Dynasty Warriors rep would be cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom