• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If I had to re-do the FE roster, minimizing character count but maximizing uniqueness, here's what I would do.

Marth (Lord, OG protagonist, Sword rep)
Chrom [same as he is now] (Awakening rep)
Hector (kinda popular, Axe user, GBA rep)
Jedah (3DS rep, Magic user, villain)
Dimitri (Switch rep, lance user)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My question is why do people keep cutting the Echo Fighters? Like, I know what they have to offer can usually be found in their base character, but since they're here, I don't really see a reason to cut them if we're keeping their base.

EDIT: Especially since Chrom and Lucina are the two most worthwhile Echo Fighters in the game from a mechanical standpoint.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My question is why do people keep cutting the Echo Fighters? Like, I know what they have to offer can usually be found in their base character, but since they're here, I don't really see a reason to cut them if we're keeping their base.

EDIT: Especially since Chrom and Lucina are the two most worthwhile Echo Fighters in the game from a mechanical standpoint.
Personally, I just don't see the value in them in a made-up scenario. If you're going to add a character to Smash, then you may as well make them at least somewhat unique. Otherwise, we could easily add Alm, Sigurd, Seliph, Eliwood, and Eirika onto Math/Roy.
In fact, some people are down with that, but I personally think it's just wasted potential for the sake of added content, and it doesn't really fit the character to begin with.

Besides, in an idealized hypothetical setting, which people are throwing out left and right, there wouldn't be echoes to begin with. No one asks for characters and says "make them exactly similar to a character they have no relation to." And at that point, cutting characters you don't like is par for the course for these personal roster changes.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Because people keep thinking removing an Echo means we can have a fully unique fighter, but that's just not how it works.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I will never get over how horny female Byleth's design is considering she's supposed to be a self-insert avatar & a teacher. Like wtf were they thinking? I mean I know what they were thinking but you know what I mean.
At least it isn't the look of her advanced class. That one is a fashion disaster all around.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
aight, instead of my personal ideal FE list which would've probably held over a certain controversial half dragon, I'm gonna challenge myself with making a list that I think best represents the series as a whole

:ultmarth:- Series face. No duh inclusion
Tiki - notable character and would carry over the dragon niche Corrin would've otherwise left behind
:ultroy: - Ngl, Mostly here for Smash legacy + fun fire sword Also felt the need to diversify with hair colors other than just blue/green lol.
Lyn - Star of the first FE game to hit the west + Fan favorite
:ultike: -He and his games are fan favorites. Smash community seems to like him too.
:ultrobin: - Hails from the game that saved the series
:ultlucina: (Still a Marth echo) - Fan favorite and easy to implement, so why not?
:ultbyleth: - Hails from the most recent game, and I think would holdover even in future Smash installments due to how big of a deal TH has been

technically it's one more full-fledged newcomer than Ultimate has, and I just realized it's still 8 characters, so uh.... sue me I guess. I tried. lol. If we really needed to, just can Roy and/or Lucina.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I will never get over how horny female Byleth's design is considering she's supposed to be a self-insert avatar & a teacher. Like wtf were they thinking? I mean I know what they were thinking but you know what I mean.
Well this is the game where you can get romantically involved with your students and coworkers (one of which tries to get in bed with you the second time you meet).

Granted they're all adults and the school was destroyed before you can romance them but you're still their teacher so...

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

I limit my ideal rosters (btw, "ideal" here refers to the optimal roster for everyone, not just myself) to certain numbers, and I arrange the icons very carefully. Just imagine any plausible echo/clone is included and stacked.

D

Deleted member

At least it isn't the look of her advanced class. That one is a fashion disaster all around.
I had to google it because I've never gotten far enough to promote and...

Whoever greenlit that needs to be fired.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
My headcanon is that she weaponized her looks during her days as a mercenary.

Gotta use everything you got to make sure you get the job done 😜

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Fire Emblem Heroes had horny summer versions of female Corrin and Robin like two years before we knew any real thing about Three Houses.

So I can't say I am surprised the avatars aren't safe from it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Imagine if we applied the principals of FE roster rework discussion to the entirely of Smash Ultimate

Like half the game would just disappear, because when you get down to it we don't really need every single Mario first level, in some cases several takes ON the same first level. Ultimate is big bloated excess and if it wasn't the result of compiling several games worth of content into one, people would definitely question the decisions made in it.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Copypasted from RTC, here's my extra-size Adol writeup. It's a long one, so you might want to sit down for this.
View attachment 291316
This is really a great post.

I have barely listened music from the first two games and now that I have listened the songs you shared, I have a hard time not picking Ys I and II lol. My plan was playing Seven or Memories of Celceta after beating VIII, and then maybe move on to Oath in Felghana. I guess I'll have to add Ys I & II to the list.

Also I didn't know Adol had that exact quantity of adventures. I'm looking forward to Ys XXX.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Imagine if we applied the principals of FE roster rework discussion to the entirely of Smash Ultimate

Like half the game would just disappear, because when you get down to it we don't really need every single Mario first level, in some cases several takes ON the same first level. Ultimate is big bloated excess and if it wasn't the result of compiling several games worth of content into one, people would definitely question the decisions made in it.
And a decent chunk of Fire Emblem are semiclones/clones. Those would obviously make it into the roster since they're so easy to develop so characters like Lucina and Chrom would very much exist if their counterpart is also in the game, which means you can never really make it below 5 characters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Poor male avatars. They shall never see the adoration their female counterparts get because they don't have sex appeal.

Except for male Robin 'cuz he's a likable character.
Except for the Dragon Quest Heroes because they don't have their female counterparts playable at all.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Unfortunately there doesn't exist a person who's aware of the games in SSBU's roster, but not of SSBU itself. SSBU's oddities are a really fun history lesson going back games and games.
"Why is this like this?"
"Wait hold on, wouldn't this make more sense?"
"Why'd he do this one way and this thing another way?"

KillerCage

Smash Master
deep breath

FIRE EMBLEM BAD

THERE I SAID IT GIVE LIKES :secretkpop:

Pain. At least the better version is the only one getting an amiibo. (:
Poor male avatars. They shall never see the adoration their female counterparts get because they don't have sex appeal.

The hatred for FE will never end!

1604721431953.png

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I've already said it, but this is not the game that needs to be turned into a celebration of gaming. Those OMG LOOK AT WHAT FIGHTS I CAN HAVE I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS A REAL VIDEO GAME Tweets forget that Steve can fight such characters like the Ice Climbers, Dark Pit, and several others that no elite gaming hall of fame would have. In fact, Sakurai has yet to stop reminding people that adding the most iconic video game characters/franchises of all time can be outprioritized by various things, since we had Min Min before Steve.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

idk man I found most of the male mcs of FE to be pretty cute. Male Robin, cute, Male corrin,cute, male Byleth, cute.

But yeah, Im at least 90% sure the girls get liked more because they have breasts

QQS

Smash Lord
I think next four DLC in FP2 are: Geno, Crash, Hayabusa, Lloyd.

If there is more: Rayman, Dixie, Bandana, Isaac and Sora.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Really baffles me that the Smash community as a whole just decided that the worst designed female FE MC I've ever seen should be the one that Byleth is known by.
1604722660854.png

On the plus side, at least I'm not alone in thinking "Oh thank God they chose the male one for the amiibo."

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I dunno. While yes, not all of the characters are necessary, they are still nice to have. I mean, if keeping things to just the minimum of what was needed to represent gaming's best and brightest (with an emphasis on Nintendo), the roster would look something more like this:

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultsimon::ultrichter::ulthero::ult_terry::ultsteve:

Emphasis on more like because I know someone's going to tell me to add someone. Anyway, I don't think this fact is indicative of a failing of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, or even the Super Smash Bros. series in general. The smaller characters that aren't technically needed still add value to the game. In fact, they're part of the charm. And yeah, with 77+ characters, there are definitely some misses in terms of making the most amount of people happy, but I don't think the smaller characters and franchises added are necessarily a problem or make the game excessively bloated.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Fun fact for people:

Lucina canonically has a terrible fashion sense. She attempts to give her mother a dress covered with a pattern that resembles the face of Chrom's dead sister and thinks it's perfect. Later on, she goes for dresses that are a shiny magenta, see-through lace, and octopus themed.
She is so socially awkward & I love her.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The hatred for FE will never end!

View attachment 291330
I'm not sure if your message is a joke or not, but I'm still going to say it: One can like Fire emblem and hate female Byleth design. This design is objectively sh*t, it's genuinely one of the worst character design I've ever seen in a modern jrpg. This isn't hating on Fire emblem content in Smash or Fire emblem as a whole, it's really just a bad design in every way possible.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Really baffles me that the Smash community as a whole just decided that the worst designed female FE MC I've ever seen should be the one that Byleth is known by.
I think female Byleth's design is more visually interesting, but the issue comes in the form of her existing in the first game in a while to not over design their characters and also what the heck is a crop top and a pair of lace leggings doing in the middle ages.

Also her original proportions. Just...oof.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

to be fair, if I could swap this 115 stage roster with 12 new stages for an 80 stage roster with 40 new stages, I probably would.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Since we're still talking about Fire Emblem please play the best FE game to exist on this planet Earth.

View attachment 291344

All you gotta do is just learn japanese.
Since we're all talking about Fire Emblem please also give some attention to it's starving sister series as well.

Where the hell is Advance Wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom