• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm guessing maybe 3 or 4 additional Fire Emblem Characters.
I'm probably in the minority when I say, "God I hope not".

But I'd love to see K.Rool, Waluigi, Sami/Andy.
Waluigi brings to mind this:

Since Mario, Luigi, and Wario are all there, he can be allowed to exist in Smash.

Photo courtesy of @Daxilen

D

Deleted member

If we're doing newcomer speculation, I'm placing my votes on the following having the best chances assuming this game is building off of the roster we have on Smash 3DS & Wii U:

Ice Climber

Literally the only thing keeping them out were the 3DS. Now that this will be on one platform that's more powerful than the Wii U, they should be a perfect returnee. Aside from the Inklings (who are already in), they are the only one I am sure will get in, even if this is a sequel and has cuts.

Wolf

Another veteran which people like to see return. People are overestimating recency on hurting a character's potential return. If Lucas and Roy can return despite no major game appearances in years (and in the latter, only DLC) so can the much more well-known Wolf.

Spring Man

I mean, why not? Arms is a popular Switch IP and it is the perfect opportunity to showcase the strength of the Switch by including an unique character from this IP. Spring Man is the most well-known so the choice is obvious and I don't see uniqueness as an issue like with Chrom.

Mimikyu

Probably the most popular and marketable option they could realistically use for Gen 7. Mimikyu is significant in the Sun & Moon anime which we know has influenced inclusions before and he scores well in popularity polls. Plus he has a cute song that happens to be popular within the community. I doubt Gen 8 is coming in time for a newcomer (and if so, I will eat my hat) so a Gen 7 is a lot more likely. By far the riskiest bet but one I'm willing to place.

Bomberman

Third-parties are a huge draw and there's no better choice than this early multi-player icon, bringing five-player matches before most of us were in diapers. With a successful revival in collaboration between Nintendo and Konami, it's just a matter of Nintendo asking Konami if they want him in. No way they'll turn that down should the opportunity present itself, and there's a good chance it will.

So there you have it. Two veterans, two Nintendo newcomers, and a third-party. Add in everyone else from the game and wallah, you've got a sixty-four character roster.

Also adding support for King K. Rool, Ridley, Pichu, Agumon, Bandana Dee and other such cool cats because why not?

Last edited by a moderator:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
If we're doing newcomer speculation, I'm placing my votes on the following having the best chances assuming this game is building off of the roster we have on Smash 3DS & Wii U:

Ice Climber

Literally the only thing keeping them out were the 3DS. Now that this will be on one platform that's more powerful than the Wii U, they should be a perfect returnee. Aside from the Inklings (who are already in), they are the only one I am sure will get in, even if this is a sequel and has cuts.

Wolf

Another veteran which people like to see return. People are overestimating recency on hurting a character's potential return. If Lucas and Roy can return despite no major game appearances in years (and in the latter, only DLC) so can the much more well-known Wolf.

Spring Man

I mean, why not? Arms is a popular Switch IP and it is the perfect opportunity to showcase the strength of the Switch by including an unique character from this IP. Spring Man is the most well-known so the choice is obvious and I don't see uniqueness as an issue like with Chrom.

Mimikyu

Probably the most popular and marketable option they could realistically use for Gen 7. Mimikyu is significant in the Sun & Moon anime which we know has influenced inclusions before and he scores well in popularity polls. Plus he has a cute song that happens to be popular within the community. I doubt Gen 8 is coming in time for a newcomer (and if so, I will eat my hat) so a Gen 7 is a lot more likely. By far the riskiest bet but one I'm willing to place.

Bomberman

Third-parties are a huge draw and there's no better choice than this early multi-player icon, bringing five-player matches before most of us were in diapers. With a successful revival in collaboration between Nintendo and Konami, it's just a matter of Nintendo asking Konami if they want him in. No way they'll turn that down should the opportunity present itself, and there's a good chance it will.

So there you have it. Two veterans, two Nintendo newcomers, and a third-party. Add in everyone else from the game and wallah, you've got a sixty-four character roster.

Also adding support for King K. Rool, Ridley, Pichu, Agumon, Bandana Dee and other such cool cats because why not?
I pretty much agree with most of this, though I'm iffy on Mimkyu. I can see that being possible but I'm more partial to Decidueye as I see him in the same vein of Greninja. Great shout though!

D

Deleted member

This thread seems more interesting to me than the general speculation thread.
I think it's a new game but I don't expect too many new characters (About 5-10, not including clones) seeing as it's coming out this year and was probably in development for only 2 years.
We already know the Inklings are coming so that's one down.

My personal unrealistic wishlist (top 10):
10-9. Takamaru/Rayman (tied)
8. King K. Rool
7. Waluigi
6. Shovel Knight
5. Phoenix Wright
4. Crash Bandicoot
3. Bandana Dee
2. Decidueye
1. Isaac

UserKev

Smash Champion
Spring Man is basically confirmed. We just need to wait for his reveal trailer. Hopefully during e3 so he can swiggity swooty into Smash. He is about as obvious as it gets. Other than that, I pray for Black Shadow.
Why Spring Man? Spring Man is predictable. Too! predictable. That needs to be just a one time thing with Splatoon. I feel like Nintendo is going to do something unexpected with ARMS representation.

Spring Man is sad to say, generic.

I'm iffy on Mimkyu. I can see that being possible but I'm more partial to Decidueye as I see him in the same vein of Greninja.
That's what you want to happen? Decidueye has.. support but that's just a theoretical pattern you shouldn't rely to.

For me personally, arrows has been done to death.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Why Spring Man? Spring Man is predictable. Too! predictable. That needs to be just a one time thing with Splatoon. I feel like Nintendo is going to do something unexpected with ARMS representation.

I don’t see why they can’t be. An ARMS character isn’t expected by a majority of Smash fans outside of this site from what I’ve seen. So Springman would still be a surprise to most people.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I’ve seen a lot of people who have the mindset of ARMS being a failure because it’s not a huge as Splatoon was. I’ve even seen ARMS fans with the same mindset.
But...

The game sold almost two million copies in less than a year.

People still play the game online.

Why and how do people think its a failure?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
But...

The game sold almost two million copies in less than a year.

People still play the game online.

Why and how do people think its a failure?
The gaming community in a lot of websites can be seen as toxic in that aspect. If it doesn’t have a very vocal popularity then it failed and died in their strange opinion. Because you can’t see the enthusiasm.

It’s an issue with a lot of people who don’t keep track of these things. And it makes me sad. Especially as an ARMS fan.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The gaming community in a lot of websites can be seen as toxic in that aspect. If it doesn’t have a very vocal popularity then it failed and died in their strange opinion. Because you can’t see the enthusiasm.

It’s an issue with a lot of people who don’t keep track of these things. And it makes me sad. Especially as an ARMS fan.
Yeah I know.

ARMS is awesome and my buds and I still play it.

Seeing all the negativity around it is just sad.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
My newcomer predictions, assuming it's a new game:
Captain Toad, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Impa, Ridley, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Decidueye, the protagonist from Fire Emblem Switch, Rex, Inkling (confirmed), Spring Man, Takamaru, Excitebiker, Labo Man, Rayman and Crash Bandicoot.
As for cut veterans, I'm pretty sure both Ice Climbers and Wolf will come back.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Here's 15 of who I want for Smash as of right now in no particular order (regardless of likelihood). This ain't a prediction because I think I stink at that.

1. Phoenix Wright
  2. Takamaru
  3. Heihachi Mishima
  4. King K. Rool
  5. Bartz Klauser of FFV (Most Wanted)
  6. Geno
  7. Terry Bogard
  8. Ryu Hayabusa
  9. William "B.J" Blazkowicz
  10. Doom Marine/Doom Slayer
  11. A Dragon Quest character
  12. Dr. Eggman
  13. Yuyuki Goku
  14. Wonder Red
  15. Any Belmont of Castlevania (Simon, Richter, Julius, etc.)

Morbi

Scavenger

That's what you want to happen? Decidueye has.. support but that's just a theoretical pattern you shouldn't rely to.

For me personally, arrows has been done to death.
I have never really played Arms. I believe they all have different passive abilities and whatnot; however, I suppose that would be fine. Spring Man is just my favorite design. Ribbon Girl as well, but she would probably fall into the same category. The last character they revealed, Dr. Coyle, is pretty sick. It just seems as though Smash usually tries to establish the "main" character first. But in a fighting game, I guess that is never truly a thing outside of Ryu, pretty much.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I have never really played Arms. I believe they all have different passive abilities and whatnot; however, I suppose that would be fine. Spring Man is just my favorite design. Ribbon Girl as well, but she would probably fall into the same category. The last character they revealed, Dr. Coyle, is pretty sick. It just seems as though Smash usually tries to establish the "main" character first. But in a fighting game, I guess that is never truly a thing outside of Ryu, pretty much.
But, establishing the main character as far as Smash doesn't need to be a thing in ARMS anymore. Spring Man is just another male protagonist. All Spring Man needs is a trophy.

Spring Man not representing ARMS in Smash would be brilliant. I've yet to play ARMS my self and I feel like Min Min should have been the face of the series.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
My current top 15. (excluding Inklings obviously)

1. Isaac
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Phoenix Wright
4. King K Rool
5. Chibi Robo
6. Ice Climbers
7. Fawful
8. Ridley
9. Rex & Pyra
10. Chorus Kids/Marshall
11. Excitebiker
12. Bomberman
13. Dillon
14. Riki
15. Spyro

Honourable mentions: Advance Wars rep, Dark Souls rep, Pious Augustus, Sandbag (because)

I'm not expecting to get many hits. :p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Spring Man is basically confirmed. We just need to wait for his reveal trailer. Hopefully during e3 so he can swiggity swooty into Smash. He is about as obvious as it gets. Other than that, I pray for Black Shadow.
Yeah, an ARMS characters is in the Dedede/Olimar/Little Mac/Palutena category of obvious, we all know it's happening, so hopefully we can get the reveal over with early. Thankfully they got the Inkling reveal over with quickly, in fact it was even earlier than anyone could have hoped as they've been announced before we've even seen the game at all lol.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
New thread?

So Kirby Star Allies is getting free DLC with playable Rick, Kine, Coo, Gooey, and Marx.

Does this make any of them more likely to be playable?

Gooey was the second player in Dream Land 3, and Marx was the villain of what is widely considered one of the top Kirby games.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, an ARMS characters is in the Dedede/Olimar/Little Mac/Palutena category of obvious, we all know it's happening, so hopefully we can get the reveal over with early. Thankfully they got the Inkling reveal over with quickly, in fact it was even earlier than anyone could have hoped as they've been announced before we've even seen the game at all lol.
Indeed, I appreciated how most of the "surprise" characters, or at least characters few people were talking about, were saved for last. I suppose the initial e3 reveal with Mega Man, Villager (who was previously confirmed as infeasible), and Wii-Fit was, well, crazy. But beyond that, the next e3 was much more standard. Similar to the Brawl reveal. I have a feeling that is the path we go down. Give us a couple of the no-brainer characters and a 3rd party for e3.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My newcomer predictions, assuming it's a new game:
Captain Toad, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Impa, Ridley, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Decidueye, the protagonist from Fire Emblem Switch, Rex, Inkling (confirmed), Spring Man, Takamaru, Excitebiker, Labo Man, Rayman and Crash Bandicoot.
As for cut veterans, I'm pretty sure both Ice Climbers and Wolf will come back.
Did not know how much I wanted this until now. May make a support thread later if nobody beats me to it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
New thread?

So Kirby Star Allies is getting free DLC with playable Rick, Kine, Coo, Gooey, and Marx.

Gooey was the second player in Dream Land 3, and Marx was the villain of what is widely considered one of the top Kirby games.
Doubt it, Bandana Dee is the obvious 4th Kirby rep. Only chance for any of those is if Sakurai really lets his bias shine through and only wants to bring in a character from one of his own games, like he's so far done with the Kirby stages, but I doubt he'll go that far. Not to hate on any of those characters, I have my own good memories with them, but anyone other than Bandana Dee would be pretty bad at this point, they neither have the same popularity, relevance or importance.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
New thread?

Seeing all those classic Kirby characters getting playable roles in Star Allies gives me a lot of hope that we'll see them in Smash Switch. lol I'm a long time Marx fan, and while I can't see Gooey as anything special in Smash, I'd be delighted to see him playable. While he's not number one on my wishlist, I also feel the need to mention Bandana Dee as being a possibility and reassert his popularity.

Regardless of what direction they decide to go with Kirby newcomers, I think it's safe to say whatever classic characters make the cut in Star Allies will have a big influence on if they bring a new Kirby fighter in and who that fighter will be.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Indeed, I appreciated how most of the "surprise" characters, or at least characters few people were talking about, were saved for last. I suppose the initial e3 reveal with Mega Man, Villager (who was previously confirmed as infeasible), and Wii-Fit was, well, crazy. But beyond that, the next e3 was much more standard. Similar to the Brawl reveal. I have a feeling that is the path we go down. Give us a couple of the no-brainer characters and a 3rd party for e3.
I think they usually do that. Reveal the more expected/hyped characters first and leave the bigger surprises for last. Only exceptions being like Wii Fit Trainer and Ice Climbers and whatnot but for the most part, that's usually been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom