• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If we're talking financial success, then yeah I'd count FEH.
FEH is successful not because the game itself sold well, but because it's good at baiting whales. It actually has the smallest userbase of any Nintendo mobile game too, iirc, so it's really just a massive concentration of whales.

It still counts as a financial success, just not in the same fashion as the other million-plus sellers of the franchise.

With that said, I'd love to see a Heroes rep added because it's the holy trinity of what could piss off Smash fans; mobile rep, gacha rep and Fire Emblem :p

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
FEH is successful not because the game itself sold well, but because it's good at baiting whales. It actually has the smallest userbase of any Nintendo mobile game too, iirc, so it's really just a massive concentration of whales.

It still counts as a financial success, just not in the same fashion as the other million-plus sellers of the franchise.

With that said, I'd love to see a Heroes rep added because it's the holy trinity of what could piss off Smash fans; mobile rep, gacha rep and Fire Emblem :p
Say, you wouldn't happen to know how big Dragalia Lost's userbase is, would you? I still think people are sleeping on Euden in Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Say, you wouldn't happen to know how big Dragalia Lost's userbase is, would you? I still think people are sleeping on Euden in Smash.
All I remember is that an article said FEH's userbase was only 4% of the userbase of all Nintendo mobile games, yet brought about 60% of their total revenue.

Dragalia Lost, in comparison, is third place with about 11% of the total revenue.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Birdo wouldn't be an echo. You'd think by now people would know what an echo fighter is, huh? Echo fighters are basically just alt costumes with a few quirks. Maybe one move is unique at the most. Ditching all that stuff for Birdo goes beyond the echo fighter standard.
"how to make Birdo a Yoshi echo 101"

• replace egg lay with a reskinned version of K.Rool's blunderbuss.
  • change grab to look like she's visually inhaling air, and grabs them normally (there's probably a character who can have that animation ripped from)
  • re-skin up b to be fired out of mouth, functionally identical
there we go.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ken is pretty much an echo fighter in name only. He's an weird exception and I don't expect them to go that far with others. Because they don't
He still obeys the rules somewhat. His faster walking/running didn't lead to any other stat changes like faster air speed, and plenty of his moves use the same animations as Ryu's.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
He still obeys the rules somewhat. His faster walking/running didn't lead to any other stat changes like faster air speed, and plenty of his moves use the same animations as Ryu's.
That's a result of him having always been a derivative of Ryu rather than "respecting Echo guidelines". He's actually very accurate to the games that way.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Copypasted from RTC, here's my extra-size Adol writeup. It's a long one, so you might want to sit down for this.
1604709155708.png

adol christin might be the strongest contender for 'most chadlike protagonist in jrpgs'
-A helpful Steam reviewer

Thank you, helpful Steam person. Now to business.

First off, a brief explanation on the early years of Falcom.
Falcom is an old Japanese company, small but influential. Beginning in 1981, they started by selling hardware and software for the Apple II computer, before shifting gears to the PC-88 and PC-98 when they started making games. They truly broke out with the release of Dragon Slayer in 1984. While very primitive by our standards, Dragon Slayer was one of the very first Action RPGs. The following year, they released Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu, which codified the ARPG genre and was the first metroidvania game (Though it didn't quite solidify until Metroid released the following year).

Adol's series, Ys, started in 1987, with the release of Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - Omen. The series follows the chronicles of Adol, a self-proclaimed "adventurer." Technically, that's not an actual occupation, and he's closer to a traveler or a cartographer. That being said, those terms are underselling his skills a little. The plot of Ys is pretty easy to understand, and generally follows something along the lines of this:
ADVENTURE! -> Demon/evil god suddenly appears -> Get the magic final god sword -> As per JRPG tradition, kill the god -> Board boat to go to another continent to explore -> Crash the boat and lose all your gear -> Rinse and repeat.

Ys, like most long-running series, has changed up it's gameplay quite a bit. Originally, it used an overhead perspective with a "Bump system," where Adol dealt damage by walking into any side of the enemy that wasn't the front. This was made with accessibility in mind, as PC RPGs were becoming more complex and difficult at the time. This gameplay style was retained for Ys II and both versions of Ys IV, while also implementing magical spells as well. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys, on the other hand, changed to a side-scrolling action game a la Zelda II. It was meant to be a spinoff, but was changed at the last second, hence the sudden shift in gameplay.

Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand marked a shift in gameplay, reimplementing the attack button from Ys III, as well as buttons for a jump and a guard. It was also deemed so easy that Falcom had to release a harder version in the form of Ys V Expert only a couple months later. After that, Falcom suffered a major brain drain, leaving them stuck churning out countless remakes of Ys I & II, packaged together. This rut finally ended with Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, which improved upon the formula of Ys V, refining the controls and introducing a "three weapons" system, allowing Adol to swap between three different magical swords. This new style was perfected by Ys: The Oath in Felghana, a remake of Ys III, followed by a distant prequel in the form of Ys Origin.

A third style of Ys began with Ys SEVEN, where Adol fights with an active party of allies, various skills from a skill gauge, three different types of damage in slashing, striking, and piercing, a powerful EXTRA Skill with a gauge that fills up over time, and a Flash Gard system, where blocking at the right time gives you a boost in power. Ys IV was remade in this style as Ys: Memories of Celceta, adding a Flash Move system that slows down time after a correctly-times dodge. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana changed to a behind-the-back gameplay style instead, as well as adding a Break status; When enemies are hit with an attack they are weak to, they become weak to all attacks. The most recent installment, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, uses this gameplay style, while also introducing Monstrum powers for use in combat and exploration.

good golly I did not expect that part to take so long
. I suppose this is what happens when you write about a 30-plus-year-old series. Anyways, onto Adol himself.

Born in a nameless mountain village in Garman (Re: Ys-verse Germany), Adol had surprisingly humble beginnings. He was born into a peasant family, but still lived a normal daily life. He was taught how to use a sword by his father, a skill he had a gift for and later honed on his own. His desire for adventure was sparked by the tales of an elderly travelling merchant, and he set off on his own at age 16. It should be noted that he began the cycle of adventure, god-slaying, and ship-wrecking in Ys I, where he was only 17.

At some point in his fifties, Adol returned to his village and wrote chronicles of his adventures, which is how the events of the game are told. Canonically, there are 100 travelogues, and we've only experienced eight so far (Counting Ys I & II together). Adol's last known adventure was at the North Pole at age 63, which he never returned from. It's believed he finally met his end there. Adol's adventures are so legendary that the chronology of the Ys timeline is marked as Before Christin and After Christin. Some wonder if such a man even existed, what with all the god-slaying. Nevertheless, Adol's adventures went on to inspire the travels of many other individuals, giving rise to an Age of Discovery.

Due to his travels, the cast and location of each Ys game is different. The only regularly recurring companion is Dogi, a giant but kindly man who travels alongside Adol. Originally, he was just a guy who broke Adol out of prison, but the fact that he busted through a wall to do so left quite a lasting impression, and now he's Adol's closest friend. Bearing the moniker The Wallcrusher, if Dogi appears in a game, chances are a wall's gonna be broken. His crowning moment was in Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, where he crushes no less than six walls, some of which already have an unlocked door.

Besides that, Adol has amassed a large amount of love interests over his travels, to the point that the wiki has a list. However, Adol's one true love is adventure, and he always ends up leaving them to go on another quest. The only one Adol has explicitly returned the favor for is Feena, who's actually a goddess and had to ascend to heaven. Kinda out of his league there...

Of course, you simply can't bring up Falcom without mentioning the music. Due to the more powerful hardware of the PC-88 and PC-98, Falcom could manage more direct music than the bleeps and bloops of the NES, and by god, did they deliver. Falcom is one of the first companies to have a dedicated sound team, named Falcom Sound Team jdk (Or just JDK for short). They even have a separate group to play these songs live, JDK Band. Ys is also known for having way more rock songs than you'd expect from a fantasy RPG. They don't just break out the guitars for the boss themes, everything uses the guitars.

The usual three songs posted for RTC aren't doing it justice, so here's a list. A very long list. I can't pick just a couple, so instead I did 16.

Enjoy.

Something to note is that Ys used to have some issues with localization, but not anymore. With the help of XSEED, and now NIS America, Falcom's works are translated and released abroad. Ys VIII and Ys Origin are both on the Switch already, with YS IX being planned for a port next summer. If that's not enough for you, every Ys game is on Steam besides Ys V, which is one of the weaker entries anyways.

I'm gonna have to mention the Falcom leak, aren't I? Yeah, probably should.
Basically, there was a leak back in June that called for various Falcom ports and a Falcom character in Smash. Ys IX, Cold Steel 3 and 4, and recently Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure have been confirmed, so even if the leak's fake, they managed to get a fair bit right. I'm not usually one to bank on leaks and rumors, but it's still something worth noting.

And now, a brief rundown on what Adol could bring. There's a lot to pull from, what with how long the series has been going, so I'll just list off a few recurring elements.

• Bump System - The gameplay style used in the early games, also given a callback with an item in Ys VIII. Adol could deal damage via dashing, though I think it would work best in an important Spirit like Dogi gave you Impact Run.
  • Attack Momentum - Adol's attacks have generally pushed him forward somewhat. While not exactly a gimmick, Adol's normals could have him moving forward at the same time, allowing him to close the gap better.
  • Three Weapons - In the Ark-styled games, Adol could change between three different weapons, something that would evolve into the three damage type system in the party games. The weapons vary between games; Basing them off of Ys VI, which uses them most prominently, there's the single-edged wind sword Livart, the double-edged fire sword Brilliante, and the thrusting thunder sword Ericcil. In Smash, Adol could use these as a stance system, or just use them for specific attacks like Byleth.
  • Flash Guard and Flash Move - As mentioned above, the party games give you a boost in damage or slow time by guarding or didging at the right moment, respectively. This could be implemented as passive abilities in Adol's moveset, though the timing might be a bit precise for such a fast-paced game.
  • Fireball - A recurring spell from the earlier games, when Adol has access to magical weaponry. Would probably act like a weaker version of Hero's neutral special, with the tradeoff of being faster to charge and not needing any MP.
  • Spinning slash-type skill - A recurring attack, both as a wind-based spell in the Ark-styled games and as a skill in the party games. It has a bunch of different names that could be used; Maelstrom, Tornado Slash, Aerial Spin, etc.
  • Rising Slash - A recurring skill from the party games, it takes the form of an upwards slash, sometimes propelling Adol into the air. Could work with any upwards attack.
  • Running Slash/Sonic Slide - Another recurring skill from the part games, it's pretty self-expandatory. The amount of momentum Adol gets seems to vary between games, so it could work as a dash attack or side tilt
  • Rapid thrusting-type move - Yet another recurring skill, with various different names. Works as a flurry attack.
  • Sword beam-type skill - Also a recurring skill, has gone through a lot of different names (Scud Sword, Sonic Wave, Arc Shot). Faster than Cloud's Sword Beam, but smaller. Works as a neutral special or side special.
Funny story, I've actually got a game idea going that I've been adding to for a while, and it's uncannily similar to Ys VIII. Behind the back action RPG with a lock-on, a dodge, a parry, access to skills by holding a shoulder button and pressing the face buttons, and an emphasis on exploration. There's definitely a lot of differences so it's not a 1:1 comparison, but I had been building on this since the summer of last year and had never heard about Ys until that point.

The similarities were just so close, and I ended up getting Ys VIII less than a week afterwards. Usually I spend a while contemplating getting a game or just offhandedly mention it in a wishlist and end up getting it as a gift. Best snap decision I've ever made.

And that concludes my longest SmashBoards post up to now. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
My FE roster would be:

:ultlucina: - Lucina is bae & Marth is lame. Realistically, Marth will never get cut but oh well

:ultike:
:ultrobin:
:ultbylethf:
Lyn

Awakening is one of my favorite games ever, so there’s a wee bit of bias there lol

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Speaking of Falcom

Here is my Mega-tinfoil hat theory of the day!

So Steve's presentation was shown right before Minecon and sort-of coincided with it, Today Falcom announced when Falcom day is. December 20th. That date fits the estimated timeline for character announcements. The Artwork only features characters from the Trails series.

I don't think this actually means something btw it is just more of a 👀

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Speaking of Falcom

Here is my Mega-tinfoil hat theory of the day!

So Steve's presentation was shown right before Minecon and sort-of coincided with it, Today Falcom announced when Falcom day is. December 20th. That date fits the estimated timeline for character announcements. The Artwork only features characters from the Trails series.

I don't think this actually means something btw it is just more of a 👀
Well, maybe he who loves dolls and tinfoil theories will finally talk about Falcom now.

Or maybe the company's too obscure for him to consider it despite being the Geno guy :V

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, maybe he who loves dolls and tinfoil theories will finally talk about Falcom now.

Or maybe the company's too obscure for him to consider it despite being the Geno guy :V
Which guy are we talking about? There are people who've made CAREERS out of Smash speculation, y'know.

:ultlucina: - Lucina is bae & Marth is lame. Realistically, Marth will never get cut but oh well
Fun fact for people:

Lucina canonically has a terrible fashion sense. She attempts to give her mother a dress covered with a pattern that resembles the face of Chrom's dead sister and thinks it's perfect. Later on, she goes for dresses that are a shiny magenta, see-through lace, and octopus themed.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My Ideal Fire Emblem roster would look like
-Tiki
-Anna
-De-cloned Lucina
-Claude

Because as we all know those are the only Fire Emblem characters

All joking aside my actual list looks like...
-Marth with a Leif, Eirika and Seliph alt
-Lyn
-Ike
-Robin
-Celica as an Echo
-De-clone Lucina
-Chrom but this time is an echo of lucina
-Azura
-Byleth
-Tiki

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
My ideal Fire Emblem roster would be the one we have right now except Byleth gets a moveset that is more centered on his/her own abilities rather than the Relics and Ike gets his Counter replaced with... something else. +Adding Caeda and Arvis, maybe Hector too.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
All I remember is that an article said FEH's userbase was only 4% of the userbase of all Nintendo mobile games, yet brought about 60% of their total revenue.

Dragalia Lost, in comparison, is third place with about 11% of the total revenue.

That's the thing with the mobile industry (sadly): It's so heavily saturated with like 100 million F2P games in all App Stores that the most profitable way is to "follow the best practices" and just insert microtransaction / gacha. Not too expensive or intrusive (see Dungeon Keeper and MMX iOS for examples where that failed) - just right for the whales / dolphins (medium spenders).

It should be noted that Nintendo's not had a mobile strategy period (they've been woefully inconsistent from game to game). They haven't outright failed here, of course, but there's some ground to cover. Nintendo doesn't need to produce the next Genshin Impact or whatever, but adjustments should be made.

Like getting Dr. Goomba Tower into Mario Kart Tour. :4dedede:

"how to make Birdo a Yoshi echo 101"

• replace egg lay with a reskinned version of K.Rool's blunderbuss.
  • change grab to look like she's visually inhaling air, and grabs them normally (there's probably a character who can have that animation ripped from)
  • re-skin up b to be fired out of mouth, functionally identical
there we go.
"Now that sounds like a perfect character for degenerate Wi Fi gameplay. I mean, Double Jump Armor, Egg Throw and Blunderbuss, what more could you want?" - Alpharad 2021 :4pacman:

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Fun fact for people:

Lucina canonically has a terrible fashion sense. She attempts to give her mother a dress covered with a pattern that resembles the face of Chrom's dead sister and thinks it's perfect. Later on, she goes for dresses that are a shiny magenta, see-through lace, and octopus themed.
Go on...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I actually like Corrin, but I can tell it's a blatant shill pick that Sakurai just tried to make into something unique and, point granted, he succeeded, but shill is shill.

So really, my ideal FE roster would be the same, but with Lucina slightly decloned, Chrom having some more unique moves, Byleth having Divine Pulse worked into the moveset and replacing Corrin with either fellow dragon Tiki or the franchise's most recurring character, Anna.

Only reason Corrin would be changed is because my ideal FE roster wouldn't have had the Smash 4 newcomer be a blatant shill rather than the typical FE hatred Smash fans have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom