• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Do you guys think there's any chance for a rhythm game rep in Smash? It's long overdue at this point tbh
I think one should get in I'm all for Don-chan from Taiko no Tatsujin, Haruka Amami from IDOLM@STER, Hatsune Miku or The Tap Trial Girl from Rhythm Heaven.

I don't think characters chances are tied to their Genre though.

Last edited:

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
I think one should get in I'm all for Don-chan from Taiko no Tatsujin, Haruka Amami from IDOLM@STER, Hatsune Miku or The Tap Trial Girl from Rhythm Heaven.

I don't think characters chances are tied to their Genre though.
True, but it would be cool if there was. (Plus, I kinda want a rhythm game rep mostly for the music) And you're right; those are some of the most likely options if we're being honest here. Although Chorus Kids or Marshall might have a higher chance than the Tap Trial GIrl. But honestly I'm personally The Fool from Sayonara Wild Hearts (although it's not really a rhythm game, maybe kinda though). I think that since she has like the bare minimum of rhythm game mechanics (pressing a button to the beat), she should get in. Plus, indie reps!!

But seriously, how would a rhythm game character work in smash? Would there be music counterpick??

cashregister9

Smash Hero
*Sakurai makes simple comment about how he's looking forward to the next character.

Geno thread: *Hyperventilates
Something something that one interview from a decade ago that might not hold water today.

True, but it would be cool if there was. (Plus, I kinda want a rhythm game rep mostly for the music) And you're right; those are some of the most likely options if we're being honest here. Although Chorus Kids or Marshall might have a higher chance than the Tap Trial GIrl. But honestly I'm personally The Fool from Sayonara Wild Hearts (although it's not really a rhythm game, maybe kinda though). I think that since she has like the bare minimum of rhythm game mechanics (pressing a button to the beat), she should get in. Plus, indie reps!!

But seriously, how would a rhythm game character work in smash? Would there be music counterpick??
I imagine whoever gets in would have a cavalcade of Timed Inputs.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we're talking genres, More Fighting game characters are always welcome in my book. Same with Platformer characters, granted, since this is a Nintendo game, there's quite a few of them already.

Since there was a fighting game discussion earlier and this question was asking for a werewolf fighter, how about Yugo Ogami from Bloody Roar.

This character has appeared in a fighter crossover called DreamMix TV World Fighters. In that crossover, to name a few characters he fought against, there was Simon Belmont, Solid Snake, Optimus Prime, Tyson from Beyblade, White Bomberman, and Master Higgens.

With the recent news last week that Konami manage to secure the trademark for Bloody Roar. Expect to either see a Bloody Roar pachinko machine, a revival of this fighting game franchise, and/or Yugo appearing in other Konami-related games.
Yugo would be cool too. Not my first choice for a fighting game character, but his series does have some bangers and that's about a good of a reason as any.

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
pupNapoleon pupNapoleon

No, there isn't a real reason that the two looks similar, and it is pretty unlikely that he's ness' father, if you think about it. In short, Ness barely have different clothes really, other than his backpack.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Do you guys think there's any chance for a rhythm game rep in Smash? It's long overdue at this point tbh
The issue is that the rhythm genre is pretty niche.
  • Taiko no Tatsujin is the biggest, and most likely, though it's competing with Tales of and SoulCaliber.
  • IDOLM@STER is less big as far as I know, and also competes with the other Bandai Namco IPs.
  • Rhythm Heaven is 1st party so in order to be picked, it has to be getting a new game soon, which is unlikely, as there is evidence to suggest that the series has died.
  • Other rhythm games are hard to come by really. There are a few indie titles like Just Shapes and Beats, and there are dead, but fondly remembered series like Space Channel 5, but that's about it as far as I can remember.
Unless we get Taiko instead of Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet, Nightmare, Sigurd, or Mitsurugi, the closest we'll get to a rhythm character is Lucas.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Since y’all are talking rhythm heaven rn I’ve made my picks for the next smash game after ultimate Which are all my opinions
A21B6B46-1169-4B27-AF7D-6A8E6DCA9C86.jpeg

A lot of the people in my discord were all like no no no even if it was just opinions of mine

and before y’all are like “why her and not undertale?” This is only for base I feel like undertale would be best suited as dlc

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The issue is that the rhythm genre is pretty niche.
  • Taiko no Tatsujin is the biggest, and most likely, though it's competing with Tales of and SoulCaliber.
  • IDOLM@STER is less big as far as I know, and also competes with the other Bandai Namco IPs.
  • Rhythm Heaven is 1st party so in order to be picked, it has to be getting a new game soon, which is unlikely, as there is evidence to suggest that the series has died.
  • Other rhythm games are hard to come by really. There are a few indie titles like Just Shapes and Beats, and there are dead, but fondly remembered series like Space Channel 5, but that's about it as far as I can remember.
Unless we get Taiko instead of Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet, Nightmare, Sigurd, or Mitsurugi, the closest we'll get to a rhythm character is Lucas.
To add to this, a lot of the most influential/popular rhythm games don't have any chances:
-Parappa the rapper is often credited as the first true Rhythm games. The game is own by Sony, so it basically have no chance. Even if by some miracle we get a Sony character it clearly wouldn't be Parappa.

-Dance dance revolution and Just dance... I mean it could work if Sakurai really wanted to but like... yeah I just don't see it. Guitar hero have the same problem where I just have a hard time seeing it. At the very least Guitar hero have some weird powers in Warriors of rock so they could work with that I guess, but it would be weird to focus on that one game when Live reboot the franchise to something more "realist". Also Just dance and Guitar hero would be licensing nightmare for the team (but imagine the hype of playing through the fire and flames in Final destination/Battlefield).

-A lot of popular Rhythm games don't even have character like Beatmania, Osu etc.

But to end on a more positive notes, I think that there's one Rhythm game character that people are sleeping on that I could see happen and it's Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer. The game got a crossover with Zelda, you can't get really better than that if you're looking for a indie game with some Nintendo connection. And hey, it could represent 2 unrepresented genre in one character (rogue like and rhythm). I think there's a lot to do with Cadence moveset.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I need to reality detox, so can y'all catch me up on the current state of speculation?

What's happened over the last week?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I need to reality detox, so can y'all catch me up on the current state of speculation?

Supposed updates to the fighters page and direct playlist

also I’m still mentally scarred from that Altered Beast video :urg:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But to end on a more positive notes, I think that there's one Rhythm game character that people are sleeping on that I could see happen and it's Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer. The game got a crossover with Zelda, you can't get really better than that if you're looking for a indie game with some Nintendo connection. And hey, it could represent 2 unrepresented genre in one character (rogue like and rhythm). I think there's a lot to do with Cadence moveset.
That is true, and if the series continues, she might be likelier than one might think...

...for the next game. For now, her best shot is a Mii Swordfighter costume.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Since y’all are talking rhythm heaven rn I’ve made my picks for the next smash game after ultimate Which are all my opinionsView attachment 291266
A lot of the people in my discord were all like no no no even if it was just opinions of mine

and before y’all are like “why her and not undertale?” This is only for base I feel like undertale would be best suited as dlc
Dropped Black Shadow and went for Blood Falcon? Gonna be a hard pass for me, chief.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Supposed updates to the fighters page and direct playlist

also I’m still mentally scarred from that Altered Beast video :urg:
The gritty remake with the body horror?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The gritty remake with the body horror?
YES THAT ONE

I imagine that’s why it’s US/Canada release was canceled

normally I can take body horror like with resident evil but this was too much

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
YES THAT ONE

normally I can take body horror like with resident evil but this was too much
Yeah that one seems like 2000's "maturity" at its worst.

"Hey, there's this beat 'em up game about a greek soldier sent by the gods to save the world using his power to transform into animals. It's pretty cool, but how are we going to make it appeal to modern audiences?"

"Let's make it uncomfortably realistic and more generically about a science experiment gone wrong."

Ivander

Smash Legend
YES THAT ONE

It had it's US/Canada release cancelled? I could've swore I saw it in stores at one point cause seeing it in stores was what got me to look it up.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It had it's US/Canada release cancelled? I could've swore I saw it in stores at one point cause seeing it in stores was what got me to look it up.
According to Wikipedia it’s canceled in NA. It has CERO and PEGI ratings but not a ESRB (US/CA) rating

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Falcom talk and people posting Falcom music, which was pretty fun until we shoved it aside in favor of cuts and whether or not we should get an Ultimate port or a fully-fledged Smash 6, followed by... Something. I kind tuned out after that.

So yeah, basically Falcom is the only important thing.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Blood Falcon is literally a CF pallet swap tho, just missing the different helmet in Smash

tbh in a future smash game I expect him to get the Alph treatment with the different helmet, different name, and announcer
There's some extra details like his spiky shoulder guard. That and they kinda botched the Blood Falcon palette after Brawl just like the rest of falcon's veteran alts except jody

SKX31

Smash Master
We do eventually get an F-Zero echo of Captain Falcon, but to the confusion of everyone its James McCloud.
I'll only accept it if he plays exactly like :foxmelee: (incl. "TORYA!") . If Sakurai and co. really want to integrate the Melee fanbase into Ultimate, they should do that. :p

And so was:ultdaisy:for:4peach:
I'm still really miffed about the fact that they actively enforce Daisy as a total Peach clone. There's a lot of wasted potential with Echoes, as has been talked about earlier.

I think another reason why Blood Falcon hasn't been done in full yet is that he would need to be voiced to sound more villainous.

EDIT: And probably also ditch the "Show me your moves!" taunt for something else.
Not just that, but I also doubt that Blood Falcon would get his own particle effects (which even Daisy got, mind)... which might mean Blood Falcon's too much work unless he's an Alph case or as he is currently.

Also, a couple things to note from the recent Q&A Nintendo held yesterday:

The "No Cross-platform" is not surprising in the slightest since Nintendo will not abandon the hardware side of things. Only way I can see that happening is if the entire hardware industry fails completely.

The second point's also expected, but worth noting is that Nintendo's not just targeting China - but also East Asia entirely. David Gibson (who was present at the Q&A) noted that Australia is also included in the "Asia" category, so Nintendo's using a variant of the FIFA method most likely.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'll only accept it if he plays exactly like :foxmelee: (incl. "TORYA!") . If Sakurai and co. really want to integrate the Melee fanbase into Ultimate, they should do that. :p

I'm still really miffed about the fact that they actively enforce Daisy as a total Peach clone. There's a lot of wasted potential with Echoes, as has been talked about earlier.

Not just that, but I also doubt that Blood Falcon would get his own particle effects (which even Daisy got, mind)... which might mean Blood Falcon's too much work unless he's an Alph case or as he is currently.

Also, a couple things to note from the recent Q&A Nintendo held yesterday:

The "No Cross-platform" is not surprising in the slightest since Nintendo will not abandon the hardware side of things. Only way I can see that happening is if the entire hardware industry fails completely.

The second point's also expected, but worth noting is that Nintendo's not just targeting China - but also East Asia entirely. David Gibson (who was present at the Q&A) noted that Australia is also included in the "Asia" category, so Nintendo's using a variant of the FIFA method most likely.
What does YoY mean?

SKX31

Smash Master
What does YoY mean?
Year on Year, business term used to compare the same period / quarters in different years. In this case, it means that Nintendo performed better during (Fiscal) Q2 2020: July - September 2020, compared to same period (July - September) 2019.

Since the fiscal year in Japan starts at April 1st, the calendar views the July-September period as Q2.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

...Let's just hope their variant of the FIFA method doesn't involve the software itself, though. :roll:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm sure they can get away with making his fire more red. I mean, what else are they gonna do? Give him actual blood effects?

...Actually that'd be really cool. Don't think the ESRB would agree though.

I'd definitely make him an alternate costume though. He'd be pretty boring as an echo fighter since all you really have to work with is Captain Falcon, but evil, and potentially with a faster speed, lighter weight, and lower traction/slower turnaround. Pichu ended up working out, but I don't think we really need more Styrofoam nukes based off of glass cannons. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom