• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The Castlevania series has Cornell. He's not very popular, since Curse of Darkness is not that well-liked among Castlevania fans. Alucard, Trevor, Soma Cruz, and possibly Dracula (though I do think the boss role is a good fit for him) spring to mind as characters who should be added before Cornell. Miriam also springs to mind. Bloodstained may be a spiritual successor to Castlevania, but that just sorta makes her feel like an honorary Castlevania character. And technically being from a new franchise would be all the more reason to add her.
No, Cornell is from Castlevania Legacy of Darkness from the N64. Curse of Darkness was the PS2 game with Hector, who would later appear in the Castlevania Netflix anime. And yeah, Alucard and Soma would definitely be picked over Cornell, but Shanoa would be a more likely pick than Trevor.

It's not to say that Cornell isn't a popular Castlevania character. Cornell is actually decently popular and he's definitely high on the list of good/popular things from the N64 Castlevanias. Not only did he make a playable appearance in Castlevania Judgement, but even Lords of Shadow had a character based on him.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe I'm just crap, but Shoryuken is constantly tricky to land.
imo:
  • Quarter Circle: Easy execution.
  • Dragon Punch: Difficult execution.
  • Charge: Just...Why?
Luckily, charge motions are generally only given to dedicated charge characters, so Dragon Punches are all you usually have to deal with. Doesn't make those any easier though.

The Castlevania series has Cornell. He's not very popular, since Curse of Darkness is not that well-liked among Castlevania fans. Alucard, Trevor, Soma Cruz, and possibly Dracula (though I do think the boss role is a good fit for him) spring to mind as characters who should be added before Cornell.
But if they did...
1604554347772.png

Favorite character in the game. Easy.

Lastly, there's Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers. I don't know much about the popularity of Darkstalkers characters, but of course, we all know Morrigan is the face of the franchise. Maybe they'd choose Jon if a Morrigan with covered-up cleavage isn't something they could add? I used to think this was possible for Morrigan, but the whole Mai thing has me very unsure. Regardless, if they go for a Darkstalkers rep who isn't Morrigan, it wouldn't necessarily be Jon.
Nah, Morrigan has nothing to worry about. Mai's issue was less about the chest and more about her thigh-gap going all the way to her hips. Morrigan just need her leotard to cover her chest.

Jon would be in a good spot for a second Darkstalkers character though. He seems to be one of the more popular characters in the series, and the only one that I know is clearly more popular than him is Felicia, who is completely naked. So unless they wanted to redesign her, Jon Talbain, B. B. Hood, and Demitri would be pretty hot contenders for that second spot.

Not that Darkstalkers would get a second spot, or even a first spot, but hey, silver linings.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Nah, Morrigan has nothing to worry about. Mai's issue was less about the chest and more about her thigh-gap going all the way to her hips. Morrigan just need her leotard to cover her chest.

Jon would be in a good spot for a second Darkstalkers character though. He seems to be one of the more popular characters in the series, and the only one that I know is clearly more popular than him is Felicia, who is completely naked. So unless they wanted to redesign her, Jon Talbain, B. B. Hood, and Demitri would be pretty hot contenders for that second spot.

Not that Darkstalkers would get a second spot, or even a first spot, but hey, silver linings.
If I remember correctly, though, Jon's popularity is mostly concentrated in the West. Just something to note.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
No, Cornell is from Castlevania Legacy of Darkness from the N64. Curse of Darkness was the PS2 game with Hector, who would later appear in the Castlevania Netflix anime. And yeah, Alucard and Soma would definitely be picked over Cornell, but Shanoa would be a more likely pick than Trevor.

It's not to say that Cornell isn't a popular Castlevania character. Cornell is actually decently popular and he's definitely high on the list of good/popular things from the N64 Castlevanias. Not only did he make a playable appearance in Castlevania Judgement, but even Lords of Shadow had a character based on him.
Oh whoopsie, guess that's what happens when I'm still kinda groggy from waking up and they name two games "of Darkness"

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Obligatory quote about this being a full moon...

Wait... this is werewolves, not Robots.

If we were to get a character who transforms into a werewolf (discounting Link and Sonic due to the former not being a Werewolf and the other being a Werehog) who could it be?
The only werewolves I can think of are, unfortunately, all characters who probably won't be coming to Smash.

We have Wolf Link, who I'm not sure counts as a werewolf because he just turns into a wolf and not the beast typically associated with werewolves. He probably has the best shot of any of the characters here, if only because he could be added with Midna as a duo character ala Duck Hunt. But, even though Midna is my favorite LoZ character and I want her playable, the unfortunate truth is that the ship has sailed as far as that goes.

The Werehog would be weird to implement, since it's a transformation of Sonic. You'd either add him to Sonic's kit, which wouldn't make sense because Sonic isn't known for transforming into the Werehog on a regular basis (and freed himself from the curse by the end of Unleashed). Or, you add him as a standalone, which makes more sense now that Shiek and ZSS are no longer transformations, come to think of it. While I'd love playing as stretchy-arms brawler Sonic in Smash, there are a lot of characters from the Sonic franchise who should get in over the werehog. If we want to make a character who plays kinda like Sonic but is more about brute strength, knock knock it's Knuckles!

The Castlevania series has Cornell. He's not very popular, since Curse of Darkness is not that well-liked among Castlevania fans. Alucard, Trevor, Soma Cruz, and possibly Dracula (though I do think the boss role is a good fit for him) spring to mind as characters who should be added before Cornell. Miriam also springs to mind. Bloodstained may be a spiritual successor to Castlevania, but that just sorta makes her feel like an honorary Castlevania character. And technically being from a new franchise would be all the more reason to add her.

Digimon has Weregarurumon. One of my favorites, but we'd likely get Agumon first. And if we got Gabumon, it's a toss-up whether Weregarurumon would come into play in his kit or not.

Lastly, there's Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers. I don't know much about the popularity of Darkstalkers characters, but of course, we all know Morrigan is the face of the franchise. Maybe they'd choose Jon if a Morrigan with covered-up cleavage isn't something they could add? I used to think this was possible for Morrigan, but the whole Mai thing has me very unsure. Regardless, if they go for a Darkstalkers rep who isn't Morrigan, it wouldn't necessarily be Jon.

So yeah, us werewolf fans will probably have to stick to playing as Wolf for the time being, though that's not so bad :)
Since there was a fighting game discussion earlier and this question was asking for a werewolf fighter, how about Yugo Ogami from Bloody Roar.

This character has appeared in a fighter crossover called DreamMix TV World Fighters. In that crossover, to name a few characters he fought against, there was Simon Belmont, Solid Snake, Optimus Prime, Tyson from Beyblade, White Bomberman, and Master Higgens.

With the recent news last week that Konami manage to secure the trademark for Bloody Roar. Expect to either see a Bloody Roar pachinko machine, a revival of this fighting game franchise, and/or Yugo appearing in other Konami-related games.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Byleth also... summoned Byleth. Whatever the **** that means.
For all intents and purposes, despite being the same person, in the Japanese version of the game, they have different names, so the joke made more sense in Japan, since male and female Byleth have different names.

Since the trailers in Japan lack the funny taglines and just have "JOINS THE BATTLE!", it played out like

"BERETO JOINS THE BATTLE!"

"BERESU JOINS THE BATTLE!"

In Japanese.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For all intents and purposes, despite being the same person, in the Japanese version of the game, they have different names, so the joke made more sense in Japan, since male and female Byleth have different names.

Since the trailers in Japan lack the funny taglines and just have "JOINS THE BATTLE!", it played out like

"BERETO JOINS THE BATTLE!"

"BERESU JOINS THE BATTLE!"

In Japanese.
Thank you, I appreciate knowing this. The entire trailer for Byleth just felt like a very specific "**** you" to fans. Especially the counting lesson where we were given the finger.

Staarih

Smash Master
Completely forgot Nintendo shared financials today, highlights include:

Switch hardware at 68.30 million

Animal Crossing 26.06 million
Super Mario 3D All-Stars 5.21 million
Paper Mario: The Origami King 2.82 million

Plus other smaller updates within the file:

And the usual top ten:
(Smash is at 21.10 million)

Animal Crossing has the potential of clearing 30 million within its first year. Crazy.
Paper Mario TOK is also a contender for best selling PM game.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

And the usual top ten:

Animal Crossing has the potential of clearing 30 million within its first year. Crazy.
3D all stars is that low?

I know that sounds kinda crazy to say but.... I dunno I kinda expected double digits?

toonito

Smash Ace
Hey what if the devs brought in a character from a fighting game (that isn't an arena brawler or something like ARMS) but didn't put anything like command inputs or facing one side... in other words, a regular Smash fighter?
The only characters I can think of that would fit the minimal/no inputs criteria are from:
Phantom Breaker (direction + a button)
Fantasy Strike (one button specials)
Evil Zone (old PS1 game, one button for attacks and one button for guarding)

I don't see Sakurai removing autoturn but semi related I've wondered if Sakurai would ever add a pure charge fighting game character into Smash.

For those who don't know:

"Charging" is performed by holding the stick or pressing the direction pad down and/or away from the opponent for at least one second, and then moving forward and/or up. Charges can be performed mid-combo, depending on when the charge is started. Charges can be performed diagonally as well; holding down-back can be followed up by either an upward or forward move, as well as crouch blocking during the charge, and by jumping backwards, allowing charge characters to use their moves using charge inputs as soon as they land. Charging can occur at any point in a round, even including the time before the round starts.

A "charge character" is a character whose moveset largely or entirely consists of moves with charge inputs; such characters include Guile, Urien, Juni and Blanka. Some characters like Chun-Li and Necalli have a mix of both charge and traditional moves. Charge characters have a distinctive playstyle as they effectively cannot use their special moves "on demand," requiring them to either back away, crouch, block or buffer with other moves to execute their special moves.

Charge mechanic already exists in Smash through Terry's Input Rising Tackle.

Example: If Guile ever got in Smash his projectile, Sonic Boom, would be his Neutral Special. In his home series its performed by holding back (the charge) then forward and punch.

These type of fighting game characters provide an alternative to those who may not feel comfortable with motion inputs.

SKX31

Smash Master
I think these are numbers until the end of September so that's like 12 days of sales for 3D All-Stars. I think it'll reach double digits as the holidays are up ahead.
Yes, they are up to the end of Septemer. A bit over 3,5 million (at least) is good from Nintendo's PoV... but it's rather worrying since now they'll be emboldened to release more "limited editions". For comparision's sake: It's virtually a guarantee that the OoT GCN rerelease did not sell that much, nor the Mario All-Stars Wii release (since they were not digital).

Ultimate keeping a 90 % pace during April-September 2020 compared to April-September 2019 is pretty good. Considering that FP2's sole revealed character during Q2 and most of Q3 - :ultminmin - come from a relatively niché title (relatively being a key word here since I'm sure most of those who bought ARMS also bought Ultimate before Min Min's release).

Now it could just be an overall slowdown... although I can imagine that Steve did bring in at least a few people into the fold. And not just people looking for the sweet youtube clip. So Ultimate's Q4 numbers should still be rather good (and might actually eclipse Q4 2019, although not entirely sure there).

Also, the Switch's sales numbers for Q3 2020 (compared with Q3 2019):

• Japan: 1,58 Million (1,24 Million Q3 2019)
  • Americas: 2,47 Million (1,81 Million Q3 2019)
  • Europe: 1,69 Million (1,26 Million Q3 2019)
  • Other regions: 1,11 Million (0,48 Million Q3 2019)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It'd probably be Demitri. Wasn't he like the face/protagonist or something before Morrigan's popularity made her the mascot?

I.D.

Smash Lord

And the usual top ten:

Disappointing legs from XBDE but it already sold more than I was expecting it to (1-1.2 million) so I'm satisfied.

The only werewolves I can think of are, unfortunately, all characters who probably won't be coming to Smash.
Put the werewolf from Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines that no player ever knew how to kill without checking the wiki.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Perhaps I've missed the part where this doesn't mean anything, but it looks like both the Smash fighters page and the Direct website were updated quite recently?

I feel like I might be overanalyzing things, but does Nintendo seems very suspicious lately to anyone else?
Ah ****, here we go again.

I want to believe I really do

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't see Sakurai removing autoturn but semi related I've wondered if Sakurai would ever add a pure charge fighting game character into Smash.

For those who don't know:

"Charging" is performed by holding the stick or pressing the direction pad down and/or away from the opponent for at least one second, and then moving forward and/or up. Charges can be performed mid-combo, depending on when the charge is started. Charges can be performed diagonally as well; holding down-back can be followed up by either an upward or forward move, as well as crouch blocking during the charge, and by jumping backwards, allowing charge characters to use their moves using charge inputs as soon as they land. Charging can occur at any point in a round, even including the time before the round starts.

A "charge character" is a character whose moveset largely or entirely consists of moves with charge inputs; such characters include Guile, Urien, Juni and Blanka. Some characters like Chun-Li and Necalli have a mix of both charge and traditional moves. Charge characters have a distinctive playstyle as they effectively cannot use their special moves "on demand," requiring them to either back away, crouch, block or buffer with other moves to execute their special moves.

Charge mechanic already exists in Smash through Terry's Input Rising Tackle.

Example: If Guile ever got in Smash his projectile, Sonic Boom, would be his Neutral Special. In his home series its performed by holding back (the charge) then forward and punch.

These type of fighting game characters provide an alternative to those who may not feel comfortable with motion inputs.
Imo, charge inputs are way more difficult than Dragon Punches. There's no way to know when you're done charging, and if you're an idiot like me, you don't realize that you can hold down back in order to not walk away when charging (this is something I just realized).

A charge character in Super Smash Bros. would be a bit interesting because you'd actually want to use their normal versions of their Special Moves more than their command versions because of the game's emphasis on mobility. I'd imagine you'd mostly want to do these moves out of shield, and in combos so you're not planting yourself or giving up stage control.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If I remember correctly, though, Jon's popularity is mostly concentrated in the West. Just something to note.
Ah, so they'd likely pick someone else. Makes sense considering Marvel Vs. Capcom opted for basically everyone else. lol

The most likely 2nd pick would be Lilith anyway depending on how different she is. If she'd need to be a semi-clone like Ken, then Morrigan's gonna be on her lonesome. If she'd work as an actual Echo Fighter though, I don't see why she wouldn't be added assuming Morrigan is base game (which is the most likely scenario here since she's not exactly DLC material).

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

And the usual top ten:

Do we have info on PMD DX?

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Imo, charge inputs are way more difficult than Dragon Punches. There's no way to know when you're done charging, and if you're an idiot like me, you don't realize that you can hold down back in order to not walk away when charging (this is something I just realized).

A charge character in Super Smash Bros. would be a bit interesting because you'd actually want to use their normal versions of their Special Moves more than their command versions because of the game's emphasis on mobility. I'd imagine you'd mostly want to do these moves out of shield, and in combos so you're not planting yourself or giving up stage control.
IIRC Terry's pretty mobile while charging up B because smash has a very generous window for charge storage. You can basically dash and push back down between dashes without losing charge.

Mind you, this is a down charge input, a sideways one might be a different story.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Never mind it was my connection. Delete this

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Do we have info on PMD DX?
No, sadly... We only know that it sold 1.26 million copies as of 31 March 2020. I'm not 100% sure, but I remember I read somewhere that this number is referring to physical copies of the game only. I sincerely hope that it managed to reach 2 millions copies in these last months, with the help of digital copies too.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

Kirby Fighters 2 of all things has a character with a move with a charge input (Bell’s Quick Finale; up charge - down- B ). You can‘t charge it while blocking, but you can charge it while running around or in the air. If Kirby players are expected to do it, it shouldn’t be a problem in Smash, right? In Smash, it would be interesting to see how people would pick between the two versions, though, yeah.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Kirby Fighters 2 of all things has a character with a move with a charge input (Bell’s Quick Finale; up charge - down- B ). You can‘t charge it while blocking, but you can charge it while running around or in the air. If Kirby players are expected to do it, it shouldn’t be a problem in Smash, right? In Smash, it would be interesting to see how people would pick between the two versions, though, yeah.
The really unusual factor is that you charge up, then input down rather than the other way around.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is Quick Finale an actual charge move or is it just a quick flick up, then down like it is in previous Kirby titles?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
No, sadly... We only know that it sold 1.26 million copies as of 31 March 2020. I'm not 100% sure, but I remember I read somewhere that this number is referring to physical copies of the game only. I sincerely hope that it managed to reach 2 millions copies in these last months, with the help of digital copies too.
I bought my copy in August, so that's at least one more sale. With you in hoping it breaks 2m, that should be enough to get an Explorers DX or PMD5.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The problem with Mai isn't really the thigh gap going all the way to her hip but rather
she doesn't wear any underwear and is completely naked in the inside

Sorry if this triggers nudity.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The problem with Mai isn't really the thigh gap going all the way to her hip but rather
she doesn't wear any underwear and is completely naked in the inside

Sorry if this triggers nudity.
There’s actually a very thin leotard around her butt but again it’s thin and makes her look like she’s going commando

if she wore shorts it would have been a bit more suitable

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
There’s actually a very thin leotard around her butt but again it’s thin and makes her look like she’s going commando

if she wore shorts it would have been a bit more suitable
Um, I can't believe you miss the bigger picture, her chest. Specifically from the back which looks like she didn't wear any bra.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh, if that was the only issue then they would have just given her underwear and called it a day. The fact that you would be able to see said underwear underneath is the issue.

Um, I can't believe you miss the bigger picture, her chest. Specifically from the back which looks like she didn't wear any bra.
I don't think that would have been an issue either since her um...overwear does have a back to it in most of the depictions I can find.

Even with that in mind, there were ways to censor Mai in a way that looks nice (at least in my opinion), it's just something that the devs either didn't want to do for whatever reason (perhaps they thought it would be a poor portrayal of the character or would take too much time to authorize just for a cameo), or didn't think of.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
One thing to consider with Mai is that any redesign would have to be approved by SNK, which might have been a roadblock. We know the reason why Sonic's palette swaps suck is because Sega insists "Sonic is blue." HoK does make me doubt this a bit, but that could just be Tencent influence.
'Course I'm not too familiar with SNK in general so there could be other counterexamples that I don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom