• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Is Quick Finale an actual charge move or is it just a quick flick up, then down like it is in previous Kirby titles?
You actually do need to charge it. (The pause screen describes the input as “Hold up, then use down + B”. Moves with quick motions are described as “Up Down + B”.) If you do a quick motion like most other up-down or down-up moves in the game, you’ll do Sting-Ding (the down + b move) instead.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yes, they are up to the end of Septemer. A bit over 3,5 million (at least) is good from Nintendo's PoV... but it's rather worrying since now they'll be emboldened to release more "limited editions". For comparision's sake: It's virtually a guarantee that the OoT GCN rerelease did not sell that much, nor the Mario All-Stars Wii release (since they were not digital).

Ultimate keeping a 90 % pace during April-September 2020 compared to April-September 2019 is pretty good. Considering that FP2's sole revealed character during Q2 and most of Q3 - :ultminmin - come from a relatively niché title (relatively being a key word here since I'm sure most of those who bought ARMS also bought Ultimate before Min Min's release).

Now it could just be an overall slowdown... although I can imagine that Steve did bring in at least a few people into the fold. And not just people looking for the sweet youtube clip. So Ultimate's Q4 numbers should still be rather good (and might actually eclipse Q4 2019, although not entirely sure there).

Also, the Switch's sales numbers for Q3 2020 (compared with Q3 2019):

• Japan: 1,58 Million (1,24 Million Q3 2019)
  • Americas: 2,47 Million (1,81 Million Q3 2019)
  • Europe: 1,69 Million (1,26 Million Q3 2019)
  • Other regions: 1,11 Million (0,48 Million Q3 2019)
I thought that the sales numbers didn't reflect the digital sales- meaning, that everyone who got screwed out of a physical copy of Mario 3D All Stars would not be counted.
I still cannot find it in stores, though I've only shopped in real life and not online.

Though I'm annoyed with those damned pins. I did all the tasks day one, and still did not get them!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I'm not terribly thrilled about the ho hum effort of the 3D Collection being that successful, at the very least it does have me hoping they can put out further multi game releases of notable series (hopefully with a little more effort in them).

Bring on the 3D Zelda/Metroid/DK/FE Collections; clearly they will sell.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
While I'm not terribly thrilled about the ho hum effort of the 3D Collection being that successful, at the very least it does have me hoping they can put out further multi game releases of notable series (hopefully with a little more effort in them).

I swear Nintendo would be making some good $$ if they bundled all 3 Mother games with Mother 3 being officially localized.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Idc if it’s limited time, a two pack of F-Zero X with the 64DD expansion on it and GX with AX mode built in....

I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I swear Nintendo would be making some good $$ if they bundled all 3 Mother games with Mother 3 being officially localized.
I'd rather they put Beginnings and 1 on the NES and SNES online services and just sold 3.

If the Mother 3 localization was limited time then people will be PISSED OFF.
Hey! You're right for once!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I enjoy what I've played of Earthbound- it is indeed fun, and I don't tend to enjoy RPGs easily.
But I believe the internet overhypes how much money Mother would actually make.

Id buy it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Can someone, hopefully without intense spoilers, tell me why Ninten looks just about identical to Ness? (I'm not interested in answers that 'they don't look similar, they have these two differences,' or anything of that like- I've quite seen them both. Please don't do that).

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Can someone, hopefully without intense spoilers, tell me why Ninten looks just about identical to Ness? (I'm not interested in answers that 'they don't look similar, they have these two differences,' or anything of that like- I've quite seen them both. Please don't do that).
AFAIK there is no story reason they just reused the character design.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
tbh if you missed out on buying Mother 3 in English despite campaigning for it for 12~ years you really have no-one else to blame besides yourself. get on the ball.
Or don't if you don't want to encourage this crappy business practice.

Can someone, hopefully without intense spoilers, tell me why Ninten looks just about identical to Ness?
I don't think there's a reason in particular. The only other thing of note that I've seen is that it was originally left up to your interpretation on whether or not they were the same character according to WikiBound.

Also Paula looks very similar to Ana. Jeff's the only one of the three who doesn't look all that similar, with the trait he shares with Lloyd basically just being that they both wear glasses.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
The character designs from EarthBound Beginnings were just re-used and slightly tweaked for EarthBound. There's no official reason as to why, maybe EarthBound was supposed to be a direct sequel to Beginnings, or having the protagonists looking alike provides a sense of familiarity...? I'm not sure.

Ninten and Ness are practically identical.

Ana/Paula and Lloyd/Jeff are very much the same as well except clothing design and hair are changed.

But I believe the internet overhypes how much money Mother would actually make.
I only think Mother 3 would sell enough to make someone raise an eyebrow. Mother 3 never releasing has been integrated in Nintendo/gaming culture for so long, kind of like the Half Life 3 scenario "it'll never happen." So if it DOES happen, I feel like a lot of people would be so shocked and hyped that it's finally releasing. It'd likely get a ton of press.

Also I'm pretty sure EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound topped the Wii U eShop charts in terms of sales, but I doubt they'd be as successful nowadays because a lot of people are already very much acquainted with those games.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s speculated that Ninten is Ness’s Father in Earthbound. But that’s just a theory a game theory

The main reason is that Earthbound takes a ton of reference materials from Mother. To the point it was a pseudo-remake when it first started. The main story with the 8 Melodies and Giygas is near identical but the events and locations you visit are greatly unique to each other.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
As long as a limited release Mother 3 is like ten bucks instead of thirty, I see no issue with it. The community is so small that most of them would have purchased the game long before the deadline would have taken affect. Besides, boycotting a limited release game won't get anyone anywhere.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As long as a limited release Mother 3 is like ten bucks instead of thirty, I see no issue with it. The community is so small that most of them would have purchased the game long before the deadline would have taken affect. Besides, boycotting a limited release game won't get anyone anywhere.
It definitely would so long as it consistently had a meaningful impact on sales, and the lesson Nintendo learned from it wasn't "oh well I guess people don't actually like [GAME/SERIES] so we might as well drop it off of the face of the Earth".

Boycotting a formerly dead game in particular for this practice would do nothing but insure it's never sold again, but boycotting all products with this practice would definitely do something. At the very least, it would stop the practice.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m not a big fan of the whole limited release thing either but I do think people are overreacting about it a little. First of all, it’s unlikely they stay limited as even the “limited” Mario Allstars 25th Anniversary released on Nintendo Selects as I’m sure 3D Allstars will and secondly, you have like half a year to buy it if you want it and lastly, the reason people have such a big problem with “Limited” releases is that humans have super procrastinating tendencies but also have this severe lack of patience to wait till the game rereleases so they end up making rash decisions and buying the game (or twinkies) for ungodly amounts.

I hate limited releases too but I just think it’s kind of funny when I look at the tendencies revolving around the releases lol.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m not a big fan of the whole limited release thing either but I do think people are overreacting about it a little. First of all, it’s unlikely they stay limited as even the “limited” Mario Allstars 25th Anniversary released on Nintendo Selects as I’m sure 3D Allstars will and secondly, you have like half a year to buy it if you want it and lastly, the reason people have such a big problem with “Limited” releases is that humans have super procrastinating tendencies but also have this severe lack of patience to wait till the game rereleases so they end up making rash decisions and buying the game (or twinkies) for ungodly amounts.

I hate limited releases too but I just think it’s kind of funny when I look at the tendencies revolving around the releases lol.
Yeah. Limited releases like this encourages scalping and other scams.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah. Limited releases like this encourages scalping and other scams.
Limited production encourages scalping, because it pushes the demand up by lowering the supply (only when the reasoning is artificial- there are many reasonable explanations for a company to have limited production).

Limited releasing does not encourage scalping. If there were 50 million physical copies made, it would take a long while for them to actually be out of supply, and couldn't be scalped- just sold many years later, which is just called an investment.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If any of you guys watch FP2 Prediction videos on youtube, What was the most interesting Prediction(s) that you've seen on Youtube?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo's hiring.

And yes, without Twitter translate or ability to read Japanese this does look like a Mario for President ad.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nintendo's hiring.

And yes, without Twitter translate or ability to read Japanese this does look like a Mario for President ad.

"It's a me, Mario! But these problems are gonna need all of us to work together.

A vote for me is a vote for Wii. Yahoo!"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom