• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Unfortunately, his stage is Delaware even though it has nothing to do with him. Something about it being the first state Americans were introduced to.
bull****. Pennsylvania is one of the most iconic places in the world, look at all the things we got from it.

-Hershey (the candy brand)
-Benjamin Franklin
- Lonk (from Pennsylvania)
-Kraft Mac n Cheese
-Heinz
-Carnegie Steel
-Basketball
-Traffic Lights
-Zippo
-Me
-my cats
-my ninth grade biology teacher

i'm sure these things are all important enough to warrent a stage on the Smash roster. I don't see Golden Plains founding the biggest candy brand in the world.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I do think Terry is somewhat of the "odd duck" of the third party guests in Smash (I view Banjo and Bayonetta as honorary Nintendo characters, so I count them differently). I think it may of just been a case of Nintendo knowing Sakurai really liked SNK games so they went ahead and basically gave him a freebie in the form of Terry, or maybe SNK flat out paid them to include Terry in, I don't know.
"Doesn't count"

Dinoman96

Smash Master
"Doesn't count"
They're both clearly weird specific cases, my good man.

Both were popular on the ballot and have had games that were originally or currently owned by Nintendo. There aren't that many other third party series that fall under their category.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway now that the election is out of the way, and Nintendo didn’t wanna take attention away from that, think we might see some form of news soon? Not even necessarily about Smash, just in general

osby

Smash Obsessed
They're both clearly weird specific cases, my good man.

Both were popular on the ballot and have had games that were originally or currently owned by Nintendo. There aren't that many other third party series that fall under their category.
I think it's about time some people accept that not every third party character is going to be a huge household name and there is no conspiracy behind it.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think it's about time some people accept that not every third party character is going to be a huge household name and there is no conspiracy behind it.
Sure, but most of them to tend be like, long running legacy franchises.

I feel like Travis Touchdown getting the Mii costume treatment probably shows how "too small" a third party IP can be.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hot take id actually feel really bored if every third party was a big household name

someone under many people’s radar would make more people interested in them, that’s the magic of Smash’s advertising. It’s how people got interested in Mother 3 for example

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given how relatively strong the first pass was with either beloved or relatively popular with contemporary audiences, a character like Terry as a sentimental favorite of Sakurai's that also pays tribute to SNK essentially inventing the crossover fighter is perfectly reasonable. Same with a entry like the Ice Climbers who didn't even really have that much nostalgia for them when they got into Melee.

It wouldn't surprise if one of the characters in the second pass is a more personal and/or less prominent nature as Terry. Heck Steve alone has probably sold so many passes that they could probably get away with a decent amount of mainstream obscurity for the rest of the selection if they felt like it.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I think it's very, very presumptuous to think that Isaac's inclusion in Smash would pave the way for a new GS game lol.

Little Mac's inclusion in Smash 4 certainly hasn't paved the way for a new Punch-Out!! game. And really...I'm not naive enough to think that Banjo Kazooie being in Smash is actually gonna lead to a new game or anything like that. I feel like all putting Isaac in Smash would really do is, well, just make him yet another guy that you can play as in Smash Bros., just like Captain Falcon, Little Mac, the Kid Icarus crew, Ice Climbers, etc.
A new Banjo-Kazooie game, IMO, will depend on what Rareware decides to do post-Everwild. It isn't impossible, mind, but I do think Rareware would want a solid basis to build a BK game off of first before commiting to that. Same goes with many of Rare's other IPs. Never say never - I mean, they okayed a new Battletoads game.

i'm sure these things are all important enough to warrent a stage on the Smash roster. I don't see Golden Plains founding the biggest candy brand in the world.
I agree: Golden Plains contributed so heavily to the Mushroom Kingdom experiencing runaway inflation and currency devaluation out of the wazoo. All that for a Golden statue of a Plumber:

Not Pictured: Toads repurposing the Coins as chocolate coins.

I'm pretty sure it was Bowser's ploy all along since that time around he brough gold-plated Goombas and Koopas with him alongside the usual coins.

So in conclusion: Golden Plains delenda est. :4pacman:

Hot take id actually feel really bored if every third party was a big household name

someone under many people’s radar would make more people interested in them, that’s the magic of Smash’s advertising. It’s how people got interested in Mother 3 for example
I do think that a large part of the problem is that the big household names tend to be more well known / speculated about / disliked.

Jonesy's pretty much taken Steve's spot as the "funy meme pick" at this point, something like GTA would likely be controversial, and I do imagine that most of the big mobile games (Candy Crush, Monster Strike / Knives Out, CoD Mobile etc.) are generally met with a big fat "NO" (at least with Dragalia currently MIA). Partly because the mobile sphere is so heavily intertwined with microtransactions / gacha.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
This is the way I see it:

From Mega popular series across the globe:
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud:

From a Mega popular series in one region:
:ulthero:

Legacy retro franchises down a few rungs:
:ultmegaman::ultsimon::ult_terry:

From a smaller series with a recent breakout hit:
:ultjoker:

Honorary Nintendo series:
:ultbayonetta::ultbanjokazooie:

I guess these characters would fit in with the above (at the top of my head):

1. Chris/Jill/Leon, Heihachi, Monster Hunter (though this is a bit more recent)
2. Arle, Master Chief, Doomguy, Lara Croft, Scorpion...most western characters, really.
3. Ryu Hayabusa, Arthur
4. 2B
5. Fulgore, Yuri Kozukata, Geno (I guess)

I think Crash Bandicoot kinda blurs the line between the first two categories. As in, his original games were really popular in Japan during the PS1 era but he's kinda petered out there since then. But the fact that he was popular in Japan at all (unlike say, Rayman) is still pretty noteworthy.

Last edited:

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice

Xenoblade 2 has now sold more than 2 million copies. Rex just might get into Smash 6 if he doesn't get into Vol. 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Xenoblade 2 has now sold more than 2 million copies. Rex just might get into Smash 6 if he doesn't get into Vol. 2.
His popularity would help him too, he’d be the K. Rool of Smash 6 imo

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I still can't really see Rex getting into the next game if there's already a shiny new protagonist for the inevitable Xenoblade 3 they can go with instead.

Like I said before, timing really is much more important for series with rotating cast members each game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like Travis Touchdown getting the Mii costume treatment probably shows how "too small" a third party IP can be.
Not really. If Banjo-Kazooie wasn't such a popular request, we probably wouldn't even get a Mii Costume from the series. Size isn't the be-all-end-all, and any character can be added or rejected for a variety of reasons.

Rex just might get into Smash 6 if he doesn't get into Vol. 2.
No he won't. It'll be someone from the most recent Xenoblade Chronicles game at the time, be it Xenoblade Chronicles X, a sequel to it, or Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still can't really see Rex getting into the next game if there's already a shiny new protagonist for the inevitable Xenoblade 3 they can go with instead.

Like I said before, timing really is much more important for series with rotating cast members each game.
And if there isn’t Xenoblade 3 by then?

I remember the director saying he wanted to go back to the X side, so we’d sooner see like Xenoblade X 2 before Xenoblade 3

which tbh could bode well for Elma being DLC, but I digress

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And if there isn’t Xenoblade 3 by then?

I remember the director saying he wanted to go back to the X side, so we’d sooner see like Xenoblade X 2 before Xenoblade 3

which tbh could bode well for Elma being DLC, but I digress
It depends on how far away the next game is, and what gets worked on first. Regardless, Rex & Pyra/Mythra is now or never.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes, I do want Eggman in Smash now just so we can say we had a Smash character that was live action portrayed by the same actor who played the President.
This is funny to me as Shadow's current VA played Trump in a movie a few years ago.

Sidenote I'm hyperfixating on Sonic lately and tbh I'm VERY happy we didn't get Shadow, no way would SEGA allow Sakurai to have the actual character filled with love considering how notoriously strict they are with him

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Once XC3 is released, Rex will be the XC equivalent of Zoroark or Lyn.

I think a large part of Rex's popularity stems from people thinking he has a good chance. It's possible that his popularity will stick, but I think it’s more likely that most people will move on to the next protagonist. Those who stick with Rex won't be enough to make him stand out.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't really think Doomguy will be that much of a popular request going forward.

Honestly, I feel like most of the support for him was based on the hype of Bethesda supporting a Nintendo console for once. But of course now we know that's coming to an end with the recent Microsoft acquisition. Going by what Phil Spencer's said, Doom Eternal will probably be the series' last hurrah on Nintendo...if that even comes out at this point.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As much as some people hate to hear it, Xenoblade X ended on a cliffhanger that would seemingly set the stage for a direct sequel as opposed to a rotating cast like the “mainline” Xenoblade games. If that’s the case Elma would still have a shot since she’d appear in X Part 2 as well

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't really think Doomguy will be that much of a popular request going forward.

Honestly, I feel like most of the support for him was based on the hype of Bethesda supporting a Nintendo console for once. But of course now we know that's coming to an end with the recent Microsoft acquisition. Going by what Phil Spencer's said, Doom Eternal will probably be the series' last hurrah on Nintendo...if that even comes out at this point.
Or it could be because people suddenly realized that the idea didn't sound ridiculous, especially after an incredibly succesful reboot that revitalized the franchise with a beloved sequel that just so happened to be announced in a similar timeframe to Ultimate

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As much as some people hate to hear it, Xenoblade X ended on a cliffhanger that would seemingly set the stage for a direct sequel as opposed to a rotating cast like the “mainline” Xenoblade games. If that’s the case Elma would still have a shot since she’d appear in X Part 2 as well
Not sure anyone's really all that bothered by Elma's decent shot at the next game. She'd probably be one of the fresher Nintendo newcomers there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Chrom ALSO had a lot of votes in the ballot, echo status aside. I doubt Alm or Celica had much votes

the 8/8/18 direct seemed to focus on wish fulfillment, since Dark Samus, K. Rool and the Belmonts were also revealed. They undoubtedly got a lot of votes as well (except maybe Richter but he felt like a Sakurai pick for Simon’s echo)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean they probably could've gotten away with Alm as a Roy echo. They have a simmilar fighting style, the most difficult part would be mirroring the animations so Alm uses his left hand.
From what I've seen, mirroring animations is something that can be done automatically. Not sure how easily you'd be able to use that to your advantage though since you'd then have to turn Alm around so he's facing the right way.

So theoretically quite easy, but those are famous last words. I'd be more confident in saying that you could do it for Link, who stands profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom