• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG - Smashboards purchase discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Sounds awesome :D Can't wait. Maybe I'll watch vids of this stuff. Maybe old smashers we knew and loved will jump on the Brawl MLG circuit? Maybe....

I love MicEdits! :D

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Conversation going on in the BR right now:

BRoomer 1: Guys, nobody is reading the announcement. Any ideas? This seems pretty important, we should get the word out.
BRoomer 2: Well, we could put a universal sticky in all the boards.
BRoomer 3: We could send an e-mail to every member of SWF telling them to read the announcement?
BRoomer 4: Wall of text at the top of the site!
BRoomer 2: What? Nobody is going to see that.
BRoomer 4: Make it YELLOW.
BRoomer 3: That would be the biggest eyesore ever.
BRoomer 2: Seriously, Why would we do that?
BRoomer 1: Are you guys still talking? I already did the yellow thing. Flashy, huh?

I kid of course, it's not an eyesore at all. I just saw it posted in white, then when I re-loaded the page saw it change to yellow and thought it was funny.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I know nothings changed now but is anything dramatic going to happen in the future? Like, I'm not going to have to start paying to join certain parts of the boards am I? The boards aren't going to eventually get divided into groups are they?

Gideon

Moreliator
BRoomer
Hello all,
I'm glad to see all the positive responses to this transfer! After announcing that I was stepping down last February/March, I'm very excited to see what SmashBoards can become under MLG's leadership. I think you have all probably noticed the faster servers, and things will only get better as we continue to work out the inevitable bugs that occur when you transfer a database as large as SWF. MLG has some great ideas, and their team is very enthusiastic about working with this community to bring the best out of Smash Bros.

While I will definitely not disappear entirely, as I said in an earlier post I have graduated from college and do not have the time to run a site like this anymore. So while I don't want this to be a farewell post, I do want to say thanks to everyone for this journey--especially those that have stuck through it all these years! It definitely doesn't end here, but I have a feeling that a chapter is closing for me at least. I believe that MLG has great intentions though, and I am excited at what they bring to the table for SWF.

I will make a further announcement about some things in the upcoming week or two, so look for that!
-gid

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Gideon you crazy person. You're not supposed to thank us, we're supposed to thank you. That's how this works.

Hell, considering what you've done for Smashboards, if you feel like it's time to focus on bigger and better things, I can only assume you're going to succeed all over their faces as well.

Just know that the boards are in very good hands, and that you've managed to earn the respect of thousands and thousands of people who you don't know and will never meet. Awesome!

I know nothings changed now but is anything dramatic going to happen in the future? Like, I'm not going to have to start paying to join certain parts of the boards am I? The boards aren't going to eventually get divided into groups are they?
I can say with 99.99% certainty that everything is going to be pretty much the exact same around here. Just, y'know, faster.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
So... could this mean that brawl will be picked up in the MLG set soon?
I don't see how it couldn't be. It wouldn't make any sense for them to pick up Smashboards if they weren't going to include one of the Smash games, and it's pretty obvious that the majority of the population plays Brawl. Maybe a late 2008 tournament, then pro circuit for 09? That'd be amazing.

It makes sense. Brawl fits more into the new-age of fighters, where the focus is less and less on combos and more and more on reading your opponent.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
My favorite period of time in competitive Smash history was the MLG era. Hopefully they put Brawl on the circuit, so we can experience that again.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
It means you win delicious monies for playing video games.
Of course you show PC, lol.

While I agree that Melee on MLG again would be the best thing possible to ever happen ever...

We all need to remember that MLG is a company that's out to make money. The real question MLG is asking themselves is: which of the two games would make more money?

Unfortunately, that is probably Brawl. While Melee is definitely the better, more fast paced and interesting to watch game (in my opinion), the only people that would be drawn to it are the competitive veterans of the game. Brawl appeals to everyone else. :/

But I would really like to see melee more. Maybe someone should start a competitive fighting game league as big for fighting games as mlg is for shooters. Or just expand an existing organization like EVO.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Of course you show PC, lol.
While I agree that Melee on MLG again would be the best thing possible to ever happen ever...

We all need to remember that MLG is a company that's out to make money. The real question MLG is asking themselves is: which of the two games would make more money?
True that. Plus, I think we can all agree that Brawl is more... viewer-friendly? Is that a word?

What I mean is, when I watch pro Street Fighter guys going at it, I can understand what's going on and I'm legitimately impressed by the constant feinting and crazy timing. It's fun to watch, even though I don't play Street Fighter games any more, and never played competitive.
But when I showed some friends who had played Melee casually a few pro Melee matches, they didn't like it. It's too crazy, too all over the place.

All signs point towards Brawl being the game. I'm sure it'll be picked up. Pro circuit '09, baby.

My favorite period of time in competitive Smash history was the MLG era. Hopefully they put Brawl on the circuit, so we can experience that again.
It just makes the whole competitive community so much more... official. The lights, the atmosphere, I love it. MLG is what got me into competitive Smash in the first place. I'm happy I'm not the only one who's excited about this.

more money for Dojo
Fixed.

And so it begins...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
More money for Dojo

And so it begins...
:link:
We'll have to judge that after HOBO11. ;)
lol at commentary for brawl. lame.

they should go back to melee.
:link:
Melee's done with the "big" scene. It's Brawls turn to shine now.

**I think it's cool how MLG picked us up. As long as the actual boards stay the same, I'm all for this.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
The new admin is an '08...see, good things DO come from them.

I did not not expect to see the yellow block of text...well, it caught my attention. It took me a second to register that there was yellow text.

I read the block and it took me several more seconds to register that this site was bought.

I guess I can watch a decent major SSBB tournament without useless rulesets. At the very least, this site can run more efficiently.

What I would like is the revival of the other SSB games. They deserve tournaments, too.

Props to MLG, then.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Wow I cannot wait to hear more on a tournament involving Cash....Man I hope it's either an online Comp...or a Tournament that's easy for me to get to....WOOO!!! I'm excited...I love Life hehe and the Smash Community (No Homo) hehehe

dmbrandon

Smash Master
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Also: please make anyone with a known gamefaqs apply. We can start the weeding there.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I hope FL becomes part of an MLG circuit if there's ever one... That would be cool! We have a pretty big community down here.
Haha, funny you say that...MLG has been having events in Orlando for a few years now. So now you know :). Also, L...O....L at anyone who isn't glad this happened.

If MLG picks up brawl for the 2009 circuit...look forward to good times guys.

ALSO:

Melee may not be everywhere like Brawl, but there are still plenty of big tourneys. It's not like people don't want to play Melee. People just aren't hosting as much as Brawl.
This is true, but MLG doesn't care about a game that not nearly as many people play on a system that's dead. And don't say that cube games are backwards compatible with the Wii; that has nothing to do with it. The wii is the most popular video game console of all time, so it only makes sense that MLG pick up the wii's most popular competitive game.

The "bring back melee" requests are sort of ridiculous. Like AZ mentioned, do you see MLG running Halo 1 and Halo 2 tournaments? No. There are people out there who hate Halo 2 because it doesn't have the pistol, and who hate Halo 3 because there's no double shot/BXB/BXR/etc.

Just to throw it out there...loved MLG's melee tournaments. MLG DC was fun as hell, chicago was AMAZING...oh man I hope they pick up brawl for the 09 circuit....but all I'm saying is, it doesn't make sense for MLG to bring back melee when it can pick up brawl. Commercially and financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom