• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's Revenge: The Official Match-Up Thread *Wario* -> GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
lol im at my friends house using the comp. yea i kinda know how to fight mk with lucario and i did pretty good vs m2k. but im sure hell ban fd against me next time -_-. that stage is too good for lucario. also, m2k says im the hardest lucario hes ever played. i punish his habits greatly, bait him, pivot f smash which is amazing, etc. i guess well do this matchup. just gimme couple minutes.

also, steel2nd is correct. i have discovered new stuff for lucarios metagame especially on mk. ill talk about it later

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I play both MK and Lucario, it seems like 55:45 to me. D-air, F-smash, and AS really help in this match up, and MK's D-air, tornado, D-smash, shuttle loop and F-air do well against Lucario. When they are both on the ground, the match up is neutral, when they are both in the air, MK has the advantage as long as MK isn't in range of Lucario's D-air. MK can attack Lucario from practically anywhere in the air except for underneath him, Lucario's D-air makes it hard for MK to use Up-air combos and shuttle loops from underneath. Most Lucario player's dont really fear this match up, there are worse match ups than vs MK. Lucario is probably among the top ten hardest characters MK has to fight against.

Also Jungle Japes is very good vs Lucario vs MK, it gives Lucario an easier time to win if Lucario stays in the center area of the stage most of the time.

Jupz

Smash Master
I always thought this was around 55:45, maybe a little worse in MK's favor. Lucario can pressure him with projectiles and he has good range on all his attacks. A lot revolves around getting the first kill of the match, because if MK gets it Lucario will be on low percent so he will have trouble killing and if Lucario gets it because hes still on a high percent his moves will do more damage so he can build up quite a bit of damage before he goes out.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Fsmash isn't exactly the easiest move to powershield...the release time is entirely up to the Lucario, and the move has no charge release time, just like MK's.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh noes Doom, I was going to unleash that info on an unsuspecting Praxis next time I meet him o.0!
Oh well, he's correct. Frankly, a good lucario will learn to not only use fsmash correctly, he'll also use it differently, like charging it a little bit if his opponent is going to try to PS it, it works well on D3's too. strutterstep and pivot fsmash are pretty nice too, but like I said, aren't going to be like the big staple bread-and-butter or anything like that, but still worthwhile to look out for and avoid.

I love dair and AS vs. MK, work so deliciously well. Also, lucario jab is pretty good if you can pull it, most will do AAA just because it's good damage and a decent refresher for moves, but they will also do jab -> grab, and occasionally AA -> stuff, but because of the unsafeness of that, sometimes they'll condition an opponent's DI by mixing it up with AA crouch jab cancelling back again, or grab if they expect shield, it's really sticky to be in the first jab, especially in the air. It's usually better to avoid getting there in the first spot.

Watch out for landing, lucario ftilt is a good frame trap if you don't try to keep your landing safe, it will nearly guarantee a hit if you land or AD.
MK needs to be very, very patient, remember that you want that opening to make lucario eat it.
Oh yeah, and don't underestimate him offstage either. While still one of lucario's most weakest areas, he's got good stuff, from dair stalling, to slight BAS control, and b-reversal -> bair (Lee used this pretty well in his heyday). Also, we've been working on a slightly better way to get onstage, we found out lucario can direct his little bounce towards the stage, making it a little harder for a ledge hop punish to hit as hard.

I think MK grab will do amazing things and hurt lucario a lot, if you can predict correctly his landing behavior, getting off a grab will cut lucario down.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
dont be predictable with ur shuttle loops. like they wait for it as they come down just for u to run into their Dair.

dont let him get to 150+, rather look for kill opportunities.

try to gimp.. take advatange of up B lag both at the begining and the end of the move. and dont just hog the ledge if u can see he can obviously get back to the stage still by angle it or wall cling.

the matchup is 55: 45 cuz lucario has a lota answers to mks approuches, options

but its mk lol. we just need to be a little smarter than normal. and dont go rushing in after a lucario fsmash

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
60:40 MK. Ftilt, grab, shield, Nair or Upb OOS. Ftilt to beat the grab, grab to beat shield, and shield/Counter to beat his attacks.

Done. Matchup over with.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
60:40 MK. Ftilt, grab, shield, Nair or Upb OOS. Ftilt to beat the grab, grab to beat shield, and shield/Counter to beat his attacks.

Done. Matchup over with.
haha, you shouldn't post such pathetic info for matchups DMG.... all you did was list mks possible options. in a matchup discussion you should assume the other player isn't ******** and will punish you. lucario does have answers for mks moves... it's not that easy at all.

Max Ketchum

60:40 is a pretty steep number. I'd say 55:45 on neutrals, 60:40 on MK's counterpick, and 50:50 or 45:55 on FD.

Max Ketchum

Smashville or Yoshi's may also have Lucario advantage, or at least make it even--more options for recovery on each stage.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sooo, 55:45? YI is also a good stage, I hear MK's hate it at least, but the large blast zones and wallclingable edges are really a plus.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
it's definitely closer than 6:4, I think it's almost even, depends on stage kinda like MK vs Snake

DMG and Praxis you don't know what you're talking about in this matchup no offense and don't say it's cuz you played Lee cuz I beat Lee all the time (5 friendlies all 2 stock high % and 1 stock low % at CoT4) and Ksizl came closer to beating me than Lee did (or Azen) and he's still getting better. Maybe I got slightly worse at the matchup who knows but I still know what I'm doing regardless. Lucario just has to Fair -> Nair at low % then camp at high % and he can do really well. Tornado does nothing if he just powershields the first hit then angles his shield up, and if he reacts fast he can always punish it. MK has to approach cuz he has no projectile, unless he feels like stalling the timer which can just give lucario time to charge aura sphere.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I've mostly considered this 55:45 MK for a long time, a little period where I thought 6:4 until more recently when I started playing as Lucario more and I don't think it's so bad now. MK does have better CP options and on those stages it can be a lot worse for Lucario, but I don't see that as that relevant to matchups unless those stages are neutrals(and they aren't) because CP advantage still comes down to who wins on neutrals.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Alright let me explain what I was talking about.

Ftilt on the ground beats everything Lucario can do except Fsmash. It beats everything speed and range wise. You can shield just about anything and punish with Dsmash or Ftilt (Upb OOS works well against aerials, I wouldn't use it too much against his ground moves since you are more vulnerable if you miss compared to Ftilt or Dsmash). Shielding stops EVERYTHING he can do except for grabs. This is HUGE.

The difference between MK and Lucario shielding is that not only can MK punish OOS better than Lucario in almost any aspect (Knockback on the move, speed, range, priority, etc), but MK has safer options on shields than Lucario. MK can Ftilt Lucario's shield from a pretty nice range, without fear of retaliation. Lucario can't do that to MK's shield in return.

MK having to approach because he doesn't have a projectile only applies when he is behind anyways. A lot of characters, even with a projectile, are forced to approach when they are behind, Especially if they are behind stockwise, since most good projectiles don't actually have the capacity to kill on their own (Banana's, Pikmin, Lasers, Bike tires, Grenades take forever to kill especially if stale, etc). If you are ahead, there is no "binding force" that says you have to approach because your character doesn't have a projectile. MK having to approach Lucario in any case shouldn't be a big problem since he has the tools to do so.

MK has it probably 60:40 against Lucario overall. Wario has a "reported"45:55 against MK, and he does a LOT better against MK than Lucario, so I don't see Lucario having a similar or better number.

etecoon

Smash Hero
it's just some silly anecdotal thing but I think I've found Wario to be an easier opponent than Lucario actually, then again like no one plays wario <_<

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Wow, what Ksizle did makes me really want to see a vid of it.
I'm really stuck on what to say between 60:40 and 55:45, most lucarios don't know their potential in this matchup, but then again, this isn't what a matchup discussion is all about, who's being a better player and all. It's about highest metagame vs. highest metagame. Also, I feel lucario has gotten loads better at being off the edge, lucarios though really need to learn to move away a from the stage a little when the MK goes edgeguarding, and dair stall if you are coming from an above angle off the stage to recover, most don't remember that if you can make it onto the edge, you can make it onto the stage.
actually dmg, if they shield the ftilt, lucario can do utilt shenanigans. It's probably one of his better punishers oos, since the backside hitbox comes out even faster than jab (frame 4 or 5, iirc), and it has pretty nice range.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So... they have to be facing backwards for the back part to hit first. That seems kinda dangerous/obvious to try and do on purpose, that's almost like turning around with G&W except it can't accomplish as much.

Also if you try to counter, he can use the second hit to interrupt you before the move comes out (third hit too but that one is considerably more punishable than the first two).

Browny

Smash Hater
dmg how does your first paragraph NOT apply to every single character in the game vs mk. i see this all the time. MK can do this to so and so, such a big advantage. oh wait a sec, he does that to EVERYONE, yet they all manage to get around it. upb to stuff all aerial approaches and tilts to beat everyone on the ground, who does this not apply to?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Point taken, however, it does mean his stuff isn't entirely "safe" on block, so aka don't go using all three parts assuming you're safe.

Besides, if faced with such a thing, lucario will just retreat for some more AS shenanigans. Not to sound rediculous in the argument, but this sort of thing happens to many characters, and those with projectiles like this are prone to doing that.
ugh, I feel sick >.<

OverLade

Smash Hero
try to gimp.. take advatange of up B lag both at the begining and the end of the move. and dont just hog the ledge if u can see he can obviously get back to the stage still by angle it or wall cling.
Wrong, you WANT to hog the ledge because it limits his options. If he tries Wall clinging, dair and stage spike him. If you KNOW he has to angle it up now, you can ledgehop and Nair him. This is the best way to rack up damage on lucario, because his recovery does no damage.

If I recall first time Lee martin beat Azen's lucario he did is purely off of getting him off the stage and doing damage by keeping him off, not necessarily with the intention of gimping.

Smashville or Yoshi's may also have Lucario advantage, or at least make it even--more options for recovery on each stage.
I think the matchup is in Lucario's favor on Yoshis. I played a scrubby Lucario who simply ran away and baited me into Fair combinations. He had the lead for the first half of the match simply because it was so difficult trying to catch him. The platform basically stops you from approaching him from above and gives him a way to run away. And fighting him under the platform is impossible.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
dmg how does your first paragraph NOT apply to every single character in the game vs mk. i see this all the time. MK can do this to so and so, such a big advantage. oh wait a sec, he does that to EVERYONE, yet they all manage to get around it. upb to stuff all aerial approaches and tilts to beat everyone on the ground, who does this not apply to?
Because I am tired of seeing matches where a MK player will approach a ton with Fair, to have it punished by a shield grab or whatever multiple times, and then the MK player comes here and is like "Well the matchup's even cause he punished me a lot" or the Lucario player coming in here and thinking it's even because he was able to punish the MK, even though they don't realize he probably could have played safer.

I'm not accusing anyone in particular, I just get tired seeing people think a matchup with MK is closer to even than it really is because of gameplay where the MK player could have player a bit safer. I'm not even talking about hardcore camping, running away, or anything like that, I just mean safer overall gameplay, where the MK doesn't mind Ftilting people at max range and shielding a lot. Too many times I see people come in here, after experiencing a match with a MK main who, even if he played well, could have taken safer options to minimize risk, and after a close match/set now both players have a slightly mislead idea of the matchup simply because better strategies were not explored where the MK player would achieve at the very least a small improvement in his win margin.

I don't have a problem with people thinking the matchup is relatively close, I DO have a problem when someone thinks a matchup is close, for ANY character, when one or both sides are not using options which are clearly better than what were used at that time, because that presents a flawed view of the matchup.

I'll give you an example. My record with Wario vs Marth players is superb. The only player I have a losing record to so far is Roy R (although at the end of one set I went Diddy but enough about that). The Wario Marth matchup is 40:60 Marth's favor, most top level Wario's can agree to that number and the Marth's agree that the matchup is probably something like that.

Marth's best strategy against Wario is to zone him well, occasionally retreat a bit to space yourself from him, pivot grab occasionally, etc. When I play against a Marth who does so for the entire set, chances are I lose unless I am more skilled than my opponent to the point where I can overcome a slight disadvantage matchup. Usually when I win, however, it is because the Marth player, for whatever reason, becomes more aggressive, starts approaching and putting more active pressure on me, etc. I usually win those matches by punishing their mistakes.

Should I consider the Marth vs Wario matchup as closer to even than 60:40 because most of the Marth players I play against don't use the optimal strategy? No I shouldn't, and no I do not. If I beat a Marth player, and he's questioning the matchup ratio, I will point out things to him that he could have done to have been safer and get closer towards that 40:60 matchup. After maybe another set, with some pointers I have given, they tell me the fights were a lot easier and that now they can see why Marth would have a 60:40 on Wario.

I feel this happens a lot with MK, where you have a good MK player who just might not be playing as safe as he should be, and he goes up against a good player of another character, and they have a close set and both think the matchup is really close. Then, you point out some safer things to try, they use it in some more matches, and notice that the matchup has become easier. Less mistakes made, softer punishments received for those mistakes, etc.

The same applies to other characters. I hate seeing people go "Oh no I can't beat MK the matchup must be 65:35 just terrible there's nothing I can do" and then you show them some better options and it's like "Hey, alright my character still has a disadvantage, but it can't be worse than 60:40 now, maybe on a good stage I can squeeze a 55:45".

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Wrong, you WANT to hog the ledge because it limits his options. If he tries Wall clinging, dair and stage spike him. If you KNOW he has to angle it up now, you can ledgehop and Nair him. This is the best way to rack up damage on lucario, because his recovery does no damage.

If I recall first time Lee martin beat Azen's lucario he did is purely off of getting him off the stage and doing damage by keeping him off, not necessarily with the intention of gimping.

I think the matchup is in Lucario's favor on Yoshis. I played a scrubby Lucario who simply ran away and baited me into Fair combinations. He had the lead for the first half of the match simply because it was so difficult trying to catch him. The platform basically stops you from approaching him from above and gives him a way to run away. And fighting him under the platform is impossible.
Actually, ledgehop stuff with big punishment has gone away a bit, because we found out how to make the bounce when recovering onto the stage get us away even more, it doesn't mean you can't punish us anymore (still got things prolly like bthrow, tilts, and such), but it still makes it a little easier for lucario to get back on without fear of lots of aerial punishment.
You'll want to hit him while he's starting ES or moving if he's not doing well to curve and such, it's practically free damage if you can do that.
Now I know YI is FUN:), after seeing what it can do for lucario.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
im not sure if chibo recorded me and m2k's set. maybe he did. ill ask. so u guys can see lucarios new tricks that help this matchup for him.

Im kinda hesitant to post the real guide on how to completely shut down lucario since i main both and dont like to mk ditto much which forces me to use lucario vs mk alot.....but i need to help the meta game i guess.

/sad face

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I think Lucario's F-tilt might also barely out range MK's D-smash, it's one of the few moves that Lucario has that hits more than once. F-tilt helps Lucario's ground game vs MK. Usually I have more success in a Lucario vs MK match, more so than an MK ditto, but that could be just because I'm bad at MK ditto's since I use my Lucario mainly against MK players, like what K sizzle does.

And DMG, Wario feels like 50:50 vs MK, while Lucario feels like 55:45 MK's favor.

I remember playing Bonesaw MK vs my Lucario a few tournaments ago, he had to play totally different to beat my Lucario, his style went from offensive, to balanced, to extremely defensive, just because my Lucario limited MK's options so much, the only way he could play and still win was by playing MK defensively. And he ended up winning barely.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm not gonna get into a long debate over Wario vs MK, but trust me it's not 50:50. None of the top Wario's believe that. Even Fiction said MK has the advantage, after he beat M2K.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Can we try to stick to the current discussion at least? Most people don't think of Lucario as viable against MK, so what people say here is pretty important.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can we try to stick to the current discussion at least? Most people don't think of Lucario as viable against MK, so what people say here is pretty important.
Well it depends on what you consider viable against MK. I don't think Lucario does as well against MK as Wario/Diddy/Snake, but he certainly does better than someone like Peach and possibly TL.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Well it depends on what you consider viable against MK. I don't think Lucario does as well against MK as Wario/Diddy/Snake, but he certainly does better than someone like Peach and possibly TL.
Ksizzle and M2K are making the matchup sound closer than previously known though.

Hopefully those vids were recorded so we can see what they're actually talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom