• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I'm just gonna say I think it is unfortunate to have a committee that all seems to think the same way.
Every topic I have come across it seems like they all agree on the same side...

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
US will get ***** when nobody knows the match-up anymore.
O ok.

Well with that it might be agreeable. Also, in looking towards my international event ( that can be argued being THE tournament to go to for now and future ) what does that mean for Japanese and Europeans who might not come because of that.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Lol, mekos then you are very very wrong about that.

And it's not our job to invite people. You don't like our ruleset? then host your own tournaments join the committee and change it. It's up to the other people to apply for it.

-Ran

Smash Master
The reason it appears that way is because we take the time to discuss things before making our decisions public. Our members are willing to digest the information through conversation to determine the best course of action. I know this might be a shock, but we work together to accomplish goals.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I guess Icy talked about americans coming to Europe and getting "***** by European MK's".

No offense to my continent but Euro MK's are not great and definitely don't dominate at all.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
O ok.

Well with that it might be agreeable. Also, in looking towards my international event ( that can be argued being THE tournament to go to for now and future ) what does that mean for Japanese and Europeans who might not come because of that.
Well at your last Apex it was hype and I could be wrong but I don't recall any japanese MK's making any noise. I do recall a Japanese oli upsetting the best MK in the US. *sigh* are you really going to allow MK to be legal just incase the MK players my show up from different regions ? What top MK's are there in euro and japan ? If you don't mind me asking.

Moritaka

Smash Cadet
I'm just gonna say I think it is unfortunate to have a committee that all seems to think the same way.
Every topic I have come across it seems like they all agree on the same side...
Sad, but true.

It's curious that all the community rises up against MK just when the BBR/URC brought up the topic.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
This much is true... and kinda unfortunate. US is po' and kinda haughty so it's very unlikely that US players will travel instead of vice-versa.

I'd love to go to Japan or Europe and get ***** by players just for the experience, personally.
Come to Europe. <3

We have a cool metagame and we never ever ever needed to ban MK.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
To be fair, P-1. They could just host their own tournaments with their own rulesets and say **** the URC. And it's perfectly okay. That's kinda what we do in Columbus/Athens, OH and in general the Midwest loves our tournaments.

@KF. I would... but I'm po', lol.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how many tourneys are going to be there in the mean while however, I guess it's best to allow people to get used to whats going to come of this. MK being banned from APEX would hurt things (although I don't Alex would ban him)

It would of been nice to get some massive updates that way we'd be able to know what we're dealing. Also if you banned MK right now we'd be able to get a better feel for the next metagame.

As long as people know ahead of time and conform to what you're putting out it'll be fine. However, when you have a characters that's banned by one region if the other regions don't fall in line then they'll be at an advantage. For example back in the vanilla days of SSFIV Sagat was banned in Japan. Then there was this 5 v 5 international thing going on and Japan was getting bodied by American Sagats because they didn't have that MU practice.

So it would more than likely before the best for everyone to be able to agree on the MK ban that way everyone will be able to move forward.
again it goes back to people that are traveling from across the world that MAIN MK. So you want me to ban him? I agree with keeping him unbanned until after Apex.

I do not think banning a character 3 months before our equivalent of Evo is fair to the OOC players who play mk at all.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I agree with Alex. No matter how u look at it yall have helped to hurt the image of his tourney.
Now when a mk beats a player, people will just be salty and be like "well that is why he is banned" and make so many more johns. Instead of giving it their all and respecting the loss.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Has anyone found out the European or Japanese general attitude about this ban yet?
We all played the same game, until MK was banned.
If you want my opinion as a European, this ban is horrendous.

But from what I read on the SmashEU msn chat, there are mixed reactions from players although mostly very negative and cynical.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well at your last Apex it was hype and I could be wrong but I don't recall any japanese MK's making any noise. I do recall a Japanese oli upsetting the best MK in the US. *sigh* are you really going to allow MK to be legal just incase the MK players my show up from different regions ? What top MK's are there in euro and japan ? If you don't mind me asking.

I do not have their names on me but 2 ( kakera who mains ic as well and another ) are coming...most likely from Euro Stacco and another might come.

I do not think it is fair to change things like that. I know you think it is fair but I do not. I know that changing little things like that can kill attendance as easily as a "pot bonus" can help.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I say alex strife and people like Atmosk, M2k, Larry, Mike Haze form a committee and make a ruleset. That would be legit! The top TO's and top players come together to form the SMASH LEAGUE!!

Le go! The SL Ruleset eehh!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Also, Mekos. They may agree about this one thing (or set of things, whatever...) but it's not necessarily the case that they agree with everything back there. Stages in general are still a hot topic, from what I understand.

@ Sir Strife. If anything it's more unfair for the people that play MK in the states. Though the perception will certainly be hurt, players traveling to play the best players in the US (not the best not-MK's) will likely be disappointed. But there's also the thing that MK isn't banned "officially" until after APEX and it's very unlikely that the threats of the US that use MK will just stop using him immediately. I already know that the most talented players (at least in NA and EU) stay in each others ears like crazy and to be frank, mostly the best of EU and JP are coming anyway, so I don't see too much of a drop.

Or at least I'd like to think that.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Alex has a point.

Still, in a year, I predict this will have been seen as a good decision. As for Apex, people will still go, have fun, maybe MK won't win, maybe he will. That was never the point.

And europe, when 20% of the community at european tourneys takes 50-70% of your money for three years, call us and we'll talk about your feelings. ;)

Player-1

Smash Legend
Player-1 I will only use this as an example. AZ said the vote was 14-0. WTH!! That is crazy!
That's one example and a few people were on the fence about it and just slightly agreed with pro ban a bit more. 1 person consciously abstained and 2 abstained from being inactive. Like I said, we're not seeking out any people to join the committee unless we need more TOs from that area. Most of our members apply to get in, not invite. We're not keeping anyone out, anyone is free to join as long as they have ran a tournament using the Unity ruleset and is actively TOing.

-Ran

Smash Master
Sad, but true.

It's curious that all the community rises up against MK just when the BBR/URC brought up the topic.
That's because it was forum policy to not be able to speak about Meta Knight in public. That's when you know there's a problem.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I do not have their names on me but 2 ( kakera who mains ic as well and another ) are coming...most likely from Euro Stacco and another might come.

I do not think it is fair to change things like that. I know you think it is fair but I do not. I know that changing little things like that can kill attendance as easily as a "pot bonus" can help.
I hear you man I think it's a little short notice to make Apex ban MK....also the equivalent of evo is a bit of a stretch man. Maybe one day those tournies will get that big but right now evo is the thing for fighting games and evo 2k11 was the biggest event for a fighting game I've seen. I could be wrong IDK how many people registered for APEX this year but I do know how big evo was with not just the amount of entrants the amount of games but the amount of people viewing the stream.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
ALrighty! :)

Example number 2. Give me one committee member who disagrees with STANDING INFINITES. Yall all gained up against that person who made that thread and most even said it was the same as Ice climbers grab(lolol that is crazy). Geesh not one of yall supported him!!

U see this trend?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Also, Mekos. They may agree about this one thing (or set of things, whatever...) but it's not necessarily the case that they agree with everything back there. Stages in general are still a hot topic, from what I understand.

@ Sir Strife. If anything it's more unfair for the people that play MK in the state. Though the perception will certainly be hurt. Players traveling to play the best players in the US (not the best not-MK's) will likely be disappointed. But there's also the thing that MK isn't banned "officially" until after APEX and it's very unlikely that the threats of the US that use MK will just stop using him immediately. I already know that the most talented players (at least in NA and EU) stay in each others ears like crazy and to be frank, mostly the best of EU and JP are coming anyway, so I don't see too much of a drop.

Or at least I'd like to think that.
My goal as a leader and a TO is to further the community anyway I can, much like the URC does. For Apex at this point it would not make sense to ban MK. I am only looking ahead because our tournaments, with other countries supporting, help to make it bigger than just a 100 man tournament.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Well, well. It's about time. I mean, better late than never? Maybe I'll start going to tournies again.... I totally respect and support this decision.

Shout outs to all the metaknight mains who stole money, and acted like this would never happen. Time for you guys to learn a character that has legitimate weaknesses now, MUs not all either even or in your favor, no near perfect frame data, ect. Good luck adapting to that. Might be quite the change for you guys.

No really, to those who mained MK and put in lots of time and effort, I seriously wish you luck in finding a new main. If you quit this game, that works too. Because many others did the same because of your character and moved to other fighters.

still a shame it took this long to happen :(

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well, well. It's about time. I mean, better late than never? Maybe I'll start going to tournies again.... I totally respect and support this decision.

Shout outs to all the metaknight mains who stole money, and acted like this would never happen. ;o
They earned their money by playing a character against which everyone knew how to play.

Don't make it sound like it was easy.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
ALMOST - I think you need to understand that we will never be as big as Evo but as far as production value and getting our community to become bigger Apex does that.

Like I said this issue should of been left until after the Apex to annoucne it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom