• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I just dont understand how these decision was made without little thought and analysis of the data given, by this small group that SWEARS up and down that they put in all this crazy effort. They know thats simply not true and they continue to parade around as if thats the case.
I understand you (and others) might be unhappy with the decisions. I don't understand why you (and others) continually call out our efforts of diligence on the matter.

We had 5 separate threads on the Meta Knight issue alone in one month for separate issues to consider on the policy. On this topic alone I'm willing to bet I posted 50+ pages of single spaced 12 font policy style formatted debate posts on the issue. We had easily over 12 hours of parliamentary style meetings in the last month as we received new and better data.. I read every post in the discussion thread as well as fielded skype messages from over 4 dozen members of the community that I had never had contact before. Hundreds of posts were made by RC members in the last month on the topic. Every statistical and data measurement thrown our way was discussed.

The question really shouldn't be about how we didn't do due diligence. We did. If you continue to make this accusation of non-diligence in the matter, I ask that you submit reasoning as to how we could have done a more thorough examination into the matter.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
it has a minor effect, on some characters (like d3, ics and some fattys who just get ***** by tornado)
Yes it makes them having more chance to win since they won't encounter a MK. But you still have to learn every matchup.. and you still have to have a proper mindset, skills.. etc. to win tournaments.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I remember someone comparing 64 Pikachu and Brawl MK in this thread, saying that Pikachu is not even as close to being as broken as MK in Brawl.

Let me say this to all those of you who might think the same: if smash 64 had a big competitive scene, people would be CRYING about Pikachu ALL THE TIME.
Agreed. Look. all games have a best character. the marvel 2 community was one of the hypest of all time and it had only like 6 playable characters out of 50-something. talk about unbalanced. that game would OBVIOUSLY have been more diverse and balanced by banning at least the big four
in essence, Smash is doing something really radical and revolutionary by actually banning a non-special, non-boss, non-console exclusive character. i don't believe it has ever been done.

we'll see how it works out. i'm in favor of the experiment.

Moritaka

Smash Cadet
Yes it makes them having more chance to win since they won't encounter a MK. But you still have to learn every matchup.. and you still have to have a proper mindset, skills.. etc. to win tournaments.
This. It all depends on player's ability.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Tyrant I was told wants him legal. Why IDK but thats what I heard.

I mean here is what we have here.

The bottom line imo is that the community is not like any competitive community out there. I think this one over all others give the more casual/low-level players more of a say. On top of that everyone has a different view on how the game should be played. When that happens arguments over everything will happen and the people that are considered "knowledgeable" may or may not want to deal with answering questions that they feel are common-sense to them.

The overall effect is that the game will be made more a balance of competitive and casual play then any other game in existence. Now, like I said, I disagree with the idea of a URC and banning MK but in the end I am one person and my opinion only matters to people who care to agree with me. Beyond that I am not as important to anyone else cause I am not apart of URC and I may know the game but others do not feel so.

I guess what I am trying to say is that time will tell.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
@ghostbone: I definitely feel Brinstar's lava impedes on people. Especially because its been showcased its fairly arbitrary
To me it's like saying FD's base impedes on people.

I can sow how it's different to other stages to a reasonable degree, I just feel that's not good enough to ban it, we shouldn't ban stages because they're different unless they're Mario Bros. different imo.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I do have another thought.

For the longest time, people have said that the BBR has felt uninfluential as a whole to Brawl, a lot of people felt that they did so little for the game, and how so many people ignored the Unity ruleset and such because so few agreed with it.

Now... with Meta Knight banned....

Will that change?

Ghostbone

Smash Master

For the longest time, people have said that the BBR has felt uninfluential as a whole to Brawl, a lot of people felt that they did so little for the game, and how so many people ignored the Unity ruleset and such because so few agreed with it.

Will that change?
BBR =! URC
:glare:

People still confusing them....

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
this should have happened in 09 lol. our metagame would have improved so much. oh well, new beginnings

Moritaka

Smash Cadet

Will that change?
I don't think so. Even if there's a little change in the rules, we have to accept them anyway.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Delux. Anti ban has been putting up data and info too and i dont think that was really taken into account based off these reasoning i continue to see posted by URC members. I appreciate your efforts in this; I do. I believe you were a solid PR in this whole things, however URC was making it pretty clear their mind was already made up. Then I see someone stating from URC stating this same stuff about overcentralization. Or i see one person say I did it for the community and thats it, theres seriously something wrong. You dont ban a character in a competitive fighting game for those reasons. Thats just not how it goes.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Once upon a time, ROB decided he wanted to be the best!
So he set out!

And at first...he *****!

And the ladies loved him!

He felt like a million bucks!

UNTIL...
He met a foe that possessed an unimaginable skill.
A foe that would not only dominate him, but the rest of the competitors.
He met, sadface, Metaknight.

ROB, as high and mighty as he first felt

Now felt pitiful and worthless. He had to do something!
So he trained!

But it never mattered, Metaknight still *****! =[

ROB felt hopeless.

So back on the shelf he went to weep

But luckily for him, on a magical day, the community came to their senses and shunned Metaknight out of the smash scene!

ROB was overjoyed!!

It was like his very own birthday!

And now he was able to just chillax and enjoy the little things

And finally get a peaceful night of sleep.

So now ROBs can live in love and harmony!!

And get frisky if they so choose.

My fellow robots, it's time to take over<3

The end
The beginning...

beepbeep!<3

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839

Will that change?
I don't think it will change. I think this a lesson for players to listen and respect the Unity Rule set.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Gonna go attend a tourney now after 2 years now.

Moritaka

Smash Cadet
Once upon a time, ROB decided he wanted to be the best!
So he set out!

And at first...he *****!

And the ladies loved him!

He felt like a million bucks!

UNTIL...
He met a foe that possessed an unimaginable skill.
A foe that would not only dominate him, but the rest of the competitors.
He met, sadface, Metaknight.

ROB, as high and mighty as he first felt

Now felt pitiful and worthless. He had to do something!
So he trained!

But it never mattered, Metaknight still *****! =[

ROB felt hopeless.

So back on the shelf he went to weep

But luckily for him, on a magical day, the community came to their senses and shunned Metaknight out of the smash scene!

ROB was overjoyed!!

It was like his very own birthday!

And now he was able to just chillax and enjoy the little things

And finally get a peaceful night of sleep.

So now ROBs can live in love and harmony!!

And get frisky if they so choose.

My fellow robots, it's time to take over<3

The end
The beginning...

beepbeep!<3
Haha, this **** is epic.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
hmmm I give you guys 6-8 months before mk will be legalised again

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
People giving so much hate to the Ruleset Commitee. They DID put so
much effort into this decision. I trust in their judgment.

And look, it brung out an old player. Good show.
ROB Story= So cool

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I voted pro-ban. These are my reasons:

1. MK is the ONLY character to have surgical rules aimed at him just to try to keep him legal. Even with these, he still manages to tower over the rest of the cast AND is still causing controversy to add MORE rules against him (Scrooging & MK cannot CP...CPs...?). LGL sort of contradicts this, but MKs LGL is far less than the rest of the casts.

2. MK's worst MU is himself, and his worst stage is FD, where he still will almost always have the advantage. That is a SERIOUS problem when our game is based off of MUs, stages, and CPing. MK cannot be CPed to put him at a disadvantage. MK's worst case scenario is ICs on FD, and if he bans that, he has no disadvantage, if that's even considered a disadvantage. No other character has this type of CP advantage. The MUs that people claim go even with MK, get torn apart eventually when the MKs learn the MUs (Pikachu, Yoshi, Snake, DDD, Diddy, Falco, etc...)

3. We are trying to cater our stage list to keeping MK legal. This sort of coincides with #1, but is more serious as it affects all characters. Why remove even more stages just because of MK when without MK there is no real problem with them?

4. The last reason is just plain over-centralization. Take a look at doubles, for example. Nearly every team needs at least one MK to keep up. In singles, it's less dominant, but still a pretty big problem, especially when combined with all of the above.

Overall, it's hard to say whether or not MK is "broken" because that depends on your definition of broken. If all of the above falls within your definition of broken, then to you he is considered broken. Either case, I don't see how you can defend him being legal in 2011. In 2009, yea sure, but not now when things are just getting worse.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Tyrant I was told wants him legal. Why IDK but thats what I heard.

I mean here is what we have here.

The bottom line imo is that the community is not like any competitive community out there. I think this one over all others give the more casual/low-level players more of a say. On top of that everyone has a different view on how the game should be played. When that happens arguments over everything will happen and the people that are considered "knowledgeable" may or may not want to deal with answering questions that they feel are common-sense to them.

The overall effect is that the game will be made more a balance of competitive and casual play then any other game in existence. Now, like I said, I disagree with the idea of a URC and banning MK but in the end I am one person and my opinion only matters to people who care to agree with me. Beyond that I am not as important to anyone else cause I am not apart of URC and I may know the game but others do not feel so.

I guess what I am trying to say is that time will tell.
I'm not too sure if the community listens to casuals more so than any other community most of the people in the BBR are tourney players or TO's. The decision to ban MK i think is a good decision however, I wonder how you can ban MK with out re opening a discussion for stages. If anything I believe the BBR was influenced more by top players.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
so thanks for the early birthday present. /january 10th swag
My birthday is january 10th too!

Oh so we're talking about D3 vs. Marth now? T_T
D3 55-45 marth, imo. I don't see that changing much unless Marth's really, really learn how to tip fair camp better.

It'd be hilarious for competitive fighting game players to see this game, see Meta Knight, then go play Super Turbo Akuma and laugh their head off at our stupidity.

If anything, all Meta Knight is is the Brawl equivalent of MvC2 Storm, oh wait no Storm was worse and she still didn't get banned. LOL OUR COMMUNITY
This is why I am not pro-ban. MK is broken, I can agree, but not EVEN CLOSE TO the same degree as Akuma. The storm parallel is perfectly cromulant.

I think this deserves far more attention than whether or not they recommend banning MK.
DUDE I LOVE YOUR NAME, <3 XENOGEARS! CITAN IS THE BEST CHARACTER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I get a picture of cartman licking up that one kid's tears from South Park?

Fighting games don't utilize stages, god ****ing damn it.
Not to the same degree as smash, but smaller stages/easier to ring out stages do matter.

Edit: @ Mr. Eric, that was awesome. Also, that NES collection needs fixing, Only Saw Mega Man 2 and the guide book for Mega Man 6. Ninja Gaiden 2 is an amazing game too, but seriously, that needs work.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I can agree that his four ways in recovering results MetaKnight banned, but I don't see anything else.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I have some question.

Question one Why is the BBR waiting until APex to enforce the MK ban.

Question two has there been any stage or rule changes since the MK ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom