• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne Brawl | STIGMA-B for 2010 yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Gah.
So busy.
Work + Girlfriend = no time
Killzone 2 is like the greatest game ever.
Everyone buy it.
My posts are starting to look like Kas' posts...

LET'S PLAY SOME SMAYUSH!

Edit: Yeah that's what I said, I'll post the results when I actually have time (and my gf goes home *rage*)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I think we all know that toby is THE pokemon trainer, but I really wanna come down to melbourne and play, the scene sounds so much more awesome, go jei, go jei.

Everyone seems to play lucas in low tier tourneys, which is gay because he so isnt low tier.
IMO he's the MK of low tier, except much more awesome and actually has weakness's

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Everyone seems to play lucas in low tier tourneys, which is gay because he so isnt low tier.
IMO he's the MK of low tier, except much more awesome and actually has weakness's
Like his matchup with Ness. ;)

Who cares if your pkt goes through stuff when mine blows **** up? =D

Vermy

Smash Champion
@Luke:
HEY
HEY.
Hey.
Hey.

I think the Stigma-B Crew and Toby will agree that I AM the Pokeslayer dominant in the MELBOURNE scene. (Pay no attention to this months singles results lol)Toby halps me with epic PT strats and such so nyer. =p

Lol @ condog.
Wait.... how would an ICs ditto match be? O_O

Ant1

Smash Ace
Ivy is queen of broken. (Snake is king)
-Bullsh*tseed
-sweetspot vinewhip
-bair
-usmash
-uair
I never thought i'd see the day when someone says ivy is broken. As imo ivy is the worst character in the game. So easy to gimp and edgehog. I think ness can kill ivy in almost 1 f-throw from the edge of the stage, i've seen it been done once.
Ivy's b-air does a whole 4%!!!!!111!

Vermy

Smash Champion
@DS:
I was! I play Fox vaguely, and I know the staple combos (dair>almost anything). And I've fought against Tak and X, who are both great Fox mains, and I've never seen a dair>fsmash. I was expecting a dair>usmash, so I DI'd left.
...mistake lol.

@Ant:
Just recapping on my argument as to why Ivy is NOT the worst character in the game...
Olimar has only 1 chance to Up B recover, and he needs all his pikmin to get the best distance. If he throws 1 at an edgeguarding opponent, he's selling himself short. In a MUCH worse position than Ivysaur is.

Ivysaur can razor leaf the edge multiple times, be a huge distance away from the stage and still recover safely. Tibs, Jei and a number of other top players in Melbourne have tried to gimp ivysaur and 90% of the time, they can't. A GOOD ivy player doesn't let that happen.

Ivysaurs moveset is amazing. Dash attack comes out hella quick, and can kill at high % if not decayed. Her nair combos into EVERYTHING (bair, fsmash, bullsh*tseed). Bair covers a bigger distance than MKs dtilt. Fsmash is about the same speed and power as Kirbys. Bullsh*tseed tacks on a free 30-65% damage in one go, and is easily the most broken move in the game next to MKs nado/shuttle loop and snakes utilt. Ivysaurs upsmash is the strongest in the game, and doesn't come out that slow, so if your opponent makes one mistake, bam. An uncharged usmash is the equivalent to a fully charged usmash from ike. Uair is 3/4 strength as Foxs usmash and comes out relitively fast. Vinewhip has a sweetspot that hits with slightly less knockback than The Knee. Ivysaur has a decent weight, a solid moveset, good combos, a huge amount of kill moves and a projectile.

Before you go and say a character is the worst in the game, do your research. Kthxbai.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Just pit Ivysaur against Falcon and you get your answer, jeez...

Vermy, as cool as Ivy is, its still low tier material though atm.

-snooze-

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
leisha and meteor master: "got lost" huh? something definitely going on here guys. mad lovers fo sho
O_O.

You shall never know!!! mowhahaha!! heh i love everyone's theories there coming up with xD It was just my horrible navigation skills =P...

Hey cao, did you by any chance come down with a stomach bug? because i think i caught what you got x_x... lol

hopefully it wont turn into anything too major.. nini all :3

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hey vermiis, calm down there fella;

Ant brings up good points.

1. tcranter gets gimped with ivysaur. REAL IVYSAURS GET GIMPED. EVEN REFLEX.
2. Ivy's dash attack is amazing.
3. Speed as kirbys? No.
4. Bair covers... what? Good luck out spacing Meta with JUST that. Or anyone with above subpar rush down.
5. "Free damage"? How about I just DI out 50%+ of the time, and even when I do get in it only get like 20 percent. Invincibility frames are good, yes. Most broken move in the game? hahahaha
6. Slow enough that one mistake BAM isn't gonna be enough. You're not going to be able to punish anything but techs with upsmash. Yep the kill power is amazing... if it hits.
7. Yeah, and Ike's upsmash has range that covers everything everywhere...
8. Uair is pretty good, but it ain't that fast.
9. It's like worse/samish speed as ivy's fsmash. It can be good, but it isn't GREAT.
10. I don't think I've heard tcranter complain enough about Ivy's lack of killing options.
11. A projectile that just about every character in the game can get around. That ain't Falco.

Research, kthx, etc.

Definitely not THE worst character in the game though.

Vermy

Smash Champion
I tip my hat to you sir. I don't doubt your researching skills.

Ivy DOES get gimped, but so does wolf, oli, lucario, DK...the list goes on. I maintain that a good ivy main doesn't just take a fthrow off ness and bam, dead. That there is scrub talk. While I don't agree with all the points you made, at least you didn't come in all,

"ivy is teh n00b @ brawl luLz. Wurst character evar. I seen ivy get gimped 1ce by a ness fthrow so it must alwayz be possibul"

Still, thanks for a valid argument Shaya. =) I enjoy intelligent conversation.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ivy has issues with weaker throws at the edge too (I'm thinking marth's fthrow to fair here... too many gimps with that thing).

Coupled with Ivy having the 3rd worst horizontal aerial movement in the game, her options aren't long lasting.

Other characters are gimpable, yes, but other than Olimar; I think she has it worse than just about everyone. And remember Olimar has similar range, faster/safer grabs, has humongous damage output, and can kill HARD and fast.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol vermy. my brother has used PT in tourney before and even knocked my lucario into losers bracket once by doing it. he does it by sticking to charizard about 90% of the time :p He speaks on his own first-hand experience rather than research. Of course that can probably be attributed to not knowing how to play ivysaur properly lol.

Who do you think is the best of the 3? imo its charizard>squirtle>ivysaur...

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@luke: everyone uses lucas cause they saw me dominate with him in the first low tier. he is not godly when compared to wolf/fox/peach and his matchups suck. i just make him work ;)

@vermii/shaya: olimars recovery is significately better than ivysaurs. you know why? he has a little thing called a pikmin whistle, which grants the user super armour frames rather quickly and repeatedly. i only get gimped if i sdi a hit badly and go sideways. ivy/almost everyone else lacks that. that being said, i like ivysaur, provided she manages to stay on the stage :)

Vermy

Smash Champion
Never said Ivy was BETTER than the other 2. =)
Squirtle>zard>ivy.
And yeah. If he was playing as Charizard the whole time, he knows nothing about ivysaur.

Ivy doesn't have the worst recovery in the game. I think Earl will agree that Link does lol.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i think sheik does. her tether is ********, vanish doesnt knock opponents off the ledge, shes quite light and falls quickly too.

Vermy

Smash Champion
STOP RUBBING IT IN!
I WANNA SEE IT!
=(

My pc has Blue Screen Of Death. Sucks.
No PC make Vermy something something...

tibs7

Smash Champion
its actually really good, i thought i played real bad but when i saw it again i actually played orite =) i wish i had youtube stealer =(

Toby.

Smash Master
Sooo...word on the street is that people are talking about ivysaur. I don't know very much about pokemon trainer (top tier 4 life, bro), but I just took him into training mode and I gotta see he's pretty hectic.

The B button attack (seed shoot) has awesome range, and if you flip them over you can crit them for massive damage. His up b (plant grab) lets him recovery instantly from pretty much anywhere, which is pretty broken IMO.

I also tested to see how many side b's (sharp leaf) i could do, and as far as i can tell you can keep throwing them infinitely. This seems to imply that ivsyaur has the ability to regenerate his leaves sort of like wolverine can regenerate his body. I think that this is also Quite Overpowered, but who am I to complain?

Also, his dash attack looks like tackle from the pokemon show. I tried yelling out "ivysaur, use tackle!" but this did not cause ivysaur to use tackle without me pressing buttons. Nevertheless, I believe that if i were to press the buttons and yell out "ivysaur, use tackle!" at the same time it would do extra damage and knockback. Also I think it would scare some people which gives ivysaur a Psychological Advantage, which is top tier IMO.

Also, I fully charged ivysaurs upsmash and it kills at roughly 30%. I think a good strategy would be to quickly run up and charge an up smash, because they would probably think you will not fully charge it so they will run in and Get Hit, which will Hurt Them.

I have also discovered that down b can evolve ivysaur into an orange dragon that is far more powerful than ivysaur. I think that this down b is maybe the most broken move in the game.

Anyway I usually use metaknight and snake in tournaments (why do people always say I use pokemon trainer??), so I dont really have much to add apart from this stuff I just found.

:)

tibs7

Smash Champion
vermy thats awesome...but it would be even more awesome if it worked at uni....=(
anyway im just watching the third match of the first set...omg that edge hog was sooo awesome hehe

S.D

Smash Master
Sooo...word on the street is that people are talking about ivysaur. I don't know very much about pokemon trainer (top tier 4 life, bro), but I just took him into training mode and I gotta see he's pretty hectic.

The B button attack (seed shoot) has awesome range, and if you flip them over you can crit them for massive damage. His up b (plant grab) lets him recovery instantly from pretty much anywhere, which is pretty broken IMO.

I also tested to see how many side b's (sharp leaf) i could do, and as far as i can tell you can keep throwing them infinitely. This seems to imply that ivsyaur has the ability to regenerate his leaves sort of like wolverine can regenerate his body. I think that this is also Quite Overpowered, but who am I to complain?

Also, his dash attack looks like tackle from the pokemon show. I tried yelling out "ivysaur, use tackle!" but this did not cause ivysaur to use tackle without me pressing buttons. Nevertheless, I believe that if i were to press the buttons and yell out "ivysaur, use tackle!" at the same time it would do extra damage and knockback. Also I think it would scare some people which gives ivysaur a Psychological Advantage, which is top tier IMO.

Also, I fully charged ivysaurs upsmash and it kills at roughly 30%. I think a good strategy would be to quickly run up and charge an up smash, because they would probably think you will not fully charge it so they will run in and Get Hit, which will Hurt Them.

I have also discovered that down b can evolve ivysaur into an orange dragon that is far more powerful than ivysaur. I think that this down b is maybe the most broken move in the game.

Anyway I usually use metaknight and snake in tournaments (why do people always say I use pokemon trainer??), so I dont really have much to add apart from this stuff I just found.

:)
Now I have learned your secrets I will never lose again.

Thanks TCR :)

Zero

Smash Hero
When you get into the finals next, PLEASE call out all of your moves. metamindgames + amusement.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
As I wade through the bullsh*t discussion about Ivysaur being a good character, I have come with bad news people.
There is no available Sunday in May to book the Rosina Auditorium.

I leave you with these options:
1. Book it for Saturday the 30th (12pm - 10pm)
2. Skip the May tournament altogether and just hope more people come to QLD LanSmash
3. Try to get CAO and the CouchWarriors to help us with booking the John Curtin Hotel for one Sunday.
4. I pay CAO some moneys and we throw an extremely early Brawl tournament to join the Melee Tournament on the 2nd of May...(highly unlikely)
5. Let's all just quit Brawl like sane people and play Melee because it's simply better...

Discuss.

PS. My personal opinion: Ivysaur has some good moves sure but Vermy you can't deny I usually wipe out your Ivysaur in one or two combos when we vs like 70% of the time. (S)he's a pretty sh*tty character.

Splice

Smash Hero
I think we should book it for Saturday the 30th, as Afropony could attend. On top of that, its still a good day and i dont think too many people would mind if you just did it on Saturday anyway. It is the closest option to what was going to happen originally.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Last time I vsd your pit, ivy took 2 stock off you ;-)
Anyhoo, I've grown tiresome of this discussion. I'm awesome, lets just leave it at that. =p
[/discussion]

I propose the John Curtain. We can still have a full day and, it'll be easier than last year without other tourneys running. (I.e. Melee, SF3, Guilty gear etc.)
We have room for at LEAST 10 tvs. It'll make do nicely as a placebo. Its accessible to the new smashers who have only come to the '09 scene, since its hella close to the city. And there is food other than Godd*mn bread. (Pizza's ok, but wtf, only 4 types?)

tibs7

Smash Champion
bahaha cobalt your a funny one...brawl ftw my friend =) oh yeah are you teaming with anyone for rocky? only cause my bro might be in Japan and i need a partner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom