• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Chart (Outdated); please refer to the new chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Wobbling is more often than not banned, so if anything we should assume it's always banned when considering any of the ICs match-ups.
I dont think so. It SHOULDNT be banned. There have been 0 logical arguments to support its illegality.

We should have done the MUs with wobbling legal and imo the Mbr should change their reccommended stance of the wobbling rule to legal.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i like how the only even match-ups Fox has are Marth (Makes sense) and Samus (????). Fox who knows the matchup should have at least 55-45, closer to 60-40.
Sheik vs. Falco is even. Falco does NOT have the same chance against Sheik as Fox does.
Marth vs. Falcon is even. It's definitely stage dependent but after Marth strikes Dreamland and FD and bans FD, good luck Falcon. IMO it's closer to Marth favor but this match-up is very momentum-dependent in tournament.
my opinion on the current top 6 match-ups. sheik puff should probably be closer to even tho, while falcon vs. puff should be more in puff's favor.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i like how the only even match-ups Fox has are Marth (Makes sense) and Samus (????). Fox who knows the matchup should have at least 55-45, closer to 60-40.
Sheik vs. Falco is even. Falco does NOT have the same chance against Sheik as Fox does.
Marth vs. Falcon is even. It's definitely stage dependent but after Marth strikes Dreamland and FD and bans FD, good luck Falcon. IMO it's closer to Marth favor but this match-up is very momentum-dependent in tournament.
my opinion on the current top 6 match-ups. sheik puff should probably be closer to even tho, while falcon vs. puff should be more in puff's favor.
LOL that samus fox is one of those meh. In my honest opinion I think HugS is clouded by his own ****. When you get to a certain level of confidence with a MU you start saying its not that bad, its a lil better than I thought, etc. You just arent worried about the bs that fox has because by now you have some sort of answer to it. I think its just fair to say Hugo goes even with fox, but samus might be a lil less.

Just my opinion. Samus could go even with fox. Idk.

ShadyMilkman

Smash Apprentice
Puff/Sheik is horribad for Sheik (even with the fact that I suck aside). 60-40 almost seems generous to me. How could you possibly make it closer?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
do keep in mind that this chart is meant to be for top level play. while at top level play puff definitely has the advantage, sheik's better maneuverability around platforms and her needle game are often forgotten about.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
What does this even mean? Is this advocacy for legal wobbling or am I misunderstanding you?
Yes, it's advocacy for legal wobbling. This isn't the thread for yet another wobbling debate, but I'll accept the banning of wobbling if someone can give me a cogent, hell even a semi valid argument as to why. But you can't because there isn't. Thus, I assume all IC's matchups factor in wobbling.

rhan

Smash Hero
can someone explain to me how samus is = with spacies ? i'm serious, i really have no idea
Samus is definitely equal to Falco (I still am arguing that Samus has the adantage) but I believe that Fox has a slight advantage. It's not big it also can be stage dependent.

Samus' gimps them pretty hard once a hindering move is landed (Easier to be done on Falco then it is Fox). Also edgegaurding is simple. Missile canceling can keep a good pressure. If they approach and happens to hit our shield, that's rack easy percent.

Only difficulty Samus has is when she's caught in the air which can lead to a hefty amount of damage or a potential kill..

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i have to disagree.

Fox has better finishers (namely, upsmash and upair), but falco has better combos overall than fox imo.

furthermore, falco has the added bonus of having a slightly better techroll, meaning he has a better chance to escape the techchase.
they both edgeguard sheik the same, and it really doesnt matter how its done, because once sheik has to use her B-up, its an vicious cycle of rinse repeat knocking her back off until she dies.

Plus falco has lasers.

I dont sheik having anything mor eon falco than she does on fox but im all ears anyway. as long as its not "its easier to gimp falco" because it really is not. Her objective is the same, make them lose their double jump. once that happens, a competent sheik will kill both of them regardless.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I dont think so. It SHOULDNT be banned. There have been 0 logical arguments to support its illegality.

We should have done the MUs with wobbling legal and imo the Mbr should change their reccommended stance of the wobbling rule to legal.
It doesn't matter whether or not wobbling should be banned. The fact is that is usually wobbling IS BANNED. his chart isn't made for some convenient alternate reality where wobbling isn't banned, this is made based under the current rule set and right now the majority of tournaments have wobbling banned therefore we should discussed the match pus with wobbling banned.

my opinion on the current top 6 match-ups. sheik puff should probably be closer to even tho
Shiek vs Puff is by far Shiek's worst match up. 60-40 is inaccurate. It is at best 65-35 in Jigs favor.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Fox has better finishers (namely, upsmash and upair), but falco has better combos overall than fox imo.
yeap. Falco's combos typically continue for longer and deal more damage. unfortunately, at top level play being efficient is more important than just dealing a bunch of damage. the fact that Falco's finishers usually require some sort of reading as opposed to Fox's guaranteed shine -> (insert amount of shines here until they're too close to the ledge to shine them again and then still hit them with) upsmash and shine-> grab -> u-throw -> u-air/bair.
furthermore, falco has the added bonus of having a slightly better techroll, meaning he has a better chance to escape the techchase.
yeah, he goes 1.8 ft further than Fox does on both tech-rolls. however, Captain Falcon's tech-rolls go between 1 and 4 feet further than Fox's do, yet he still gets ***** by Sheik's tech-chase game, so this is still a pretty moot point.
they both edgeguard sheik the same, and it really doesnt matter how its done, because once sheik has to use her B-up, its an vicious cycle of rinse repeat knocking her back off until she dies.
yeap... you still haven't convinced me that Falco has enough options exclusive to him that Fox doesn't have an equal or greater functionally similar alternative to counteract the same instances in Fox's options in order have a similarly favored match-up against Sheik.
Plus falco has lasers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86l524gW_aE
Ignore the fact that mango's a better player than Over and still almost wins despite being 2 stocks behind to see the fact that Falco's lasers are ridiculously overrated.
I dont sheik having anything mor eon falco than she does on fox but im all ears anyway.
Fox is better at getting Sheik off-stage. Fox's nair is also a better approach option than Falco has due to Fox's faster dash speed. Fox's ability to mix up his movement with dash dancing and wavedashes as well as maneuvering platforms where applicable is unmatched in this game. Falco has characteristics unique to him that Fox wishes he could have, however in this match-up Falco doesn't have the same ability that Fox does in handling it.
It doesn't matter whether or not wobbling should be banned. The fact is that is usually wobbling IS BANNED. his chart isn't made for some convenient alternate reality where wobbling isn't banned, this is made based under the current rule set and right now the majority of tournaments have wobbling banned therefore we should discussed the match pus with wobbling banned.
The current MBR Recommended Ruleset does not ban Wobbling.
Shiek vs Puff is by far Shiek's worst match up. 60-40 is inaccurate. It is at best 65-35 in Jigs favor.
Historically, Sheik's have lost to Fox players the most. Though, Puff's metagame hasn't exactly been as high as it has recently. I'd be willing to settle for 60-40.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
do keep in mind that this chart is meant to be for top level play. while at top level play puff definitely has the advantage, sheik's better maneuverability around platforms and her needle game are often forgotten about.
Moving around platforms and doing needles means you have to be on a higher plane than Puff at some point and that can open the floor to all sorts of nasty Uair/Pound/etc. setups. This would be less of an issue if Sheik wasn't such combo food, or if she wasn't so easy to edeguard as Puff, but she is.

As for Falco and Fox, I dunno. I think Falco is harder. His lasers limit her more than Fox's dash dance does. Falco can only really be wrecked by PSing if he's in the "dangerous to laser" range anyway, so if he stays patient, it's a real issue to get in on him. He can really abuse Sheik's poor aerial mobility, far more than Fox can. As for punishment... he's not bad at getting her offstage either, IMO. People underuse (or misuse) his platform setups and Uair combos.

I think if people could Waveshine her across the stage with Fox perfectly into U-smash at low percents (and presumably D/F-smash at those medium percents) it would be better for Fox in the punishment aspect because DIing away from U-smash = you get edgeguarded and DIing into (or not DIing) U-smash = you get **** comboed forever and ever into an edgeguard but since nobody does that or can do that it works out pretty evenly.

Falco's high jumps really help him chase her when she's trying to come down from a combo; his extra range also helps him. He also can kind of nullify her high-quality tech rolls by just Dairing her into a platform and then C-sticking in the direction she rolls, but most Falcos suck and guess so they miss.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I really just thought about samus falco. I disagree with myself.

I thought about m2s ground based game and how he handles falco(gets ***** lol) and then samus. Samus is def quicker in and out of shield and has more options out of tech chase.

Idk about fox but I can agree with rhan or hugo or whoever about falco being equal to samus. I dont feel like lasers are as detrimental to samus's game as I previously thought. Just samus being quick oos means you can shield em and keep moving.

which reminded me of hugo's style. Shieldy samus. And I can understand why he feels the way about the MU. not to mention samus can gimp falco and has combos and edgeguards. Falco can edgegaurd samus but its not as easy as other displays of edgeguarding we have seen from top level play. falco doesnt combo samus as well and doesnt have a strong vertical kill move like fox to take advantage of her fairly low vertical kill percent.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yeap. Falco's combos typically continue for longer and deal more damage. unfortunately, at top level play being efficient is more important than just dealing a bunch of damage. the fact that Falco's finishers usually require some sort of reading as opposed to Fox's guaranteed shine -> (insert amount of shines here until they're too close to the ledge to shine them again and then still hit them with) upsmash and shine-> grab -> u-throw -> u-air/bair.
Yea i already agreed that fox outright finishes better than falco. But then again, you also agree falco builds more damage easily. this is important, especially with a char who's recovery is as easily edgeguarded as sheik, even when falco doesnt outright kill as well as fox, and long as he puts sheik off stage to end the combo, things are still fine.

yeah, he goes 1.8 ft further than Fox does on both tech-rolls. however, Captain Falcon's tech-rolls go between 1 and 4 feet further than Fox's do, yet he still gets ***** by Sheik's tech-chase game, so this is still a pretty moot point.
Terrible argument. First of all distance isnt everything. The only reason why i mention distance at all is because i was directly comparing falco and fox, who otherwise, have identical tech rolls. falcon's roll is SLOW. on top of that, he doesnt have a **** 1 frame move that combos into his moveset if the sheik should react even a half second too slow. Bringing up falcon was a terrible idea.

yeap... you still haven't convinced me that Falco has enough options exclusive to him that Fox doesn't have an equal or greater functionally similar alternative to counteract the same instances in Fox's options in order have a similarly favored match-up against Sheik.
I havent? The matchups are very similar for all intents and purposes where it really matters. They both combo sheik to bits, they edgeguard her EXACTLY the same, they both get gimped the same, they both suffer the same anti-pressure options (nair oos beats both sheild pressure). The only difference which matters at all fox kills better, while simultaneously having a slightly harder time escaping tech chases. I'd say that more than enough to prove that they BOTH have advantage over sheik. Besides, you've yet to make an argument for why sheik is even with falco but loses to fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86l524gW_aE
Ignore the fact that mango's a better player than Over and still almost wins despite being 2 stocks behind to see the fact that Falco's lasers are ridiculously overrated.
Are you really going to pull this "one youtube link = definitive evidence" bullcrap on me? come on now, you're better than that. Also, EVERYONE knows mango's laser game is less than par for the course of other top falcos. he mostly relies on just being better than the rest of the world.

Fox is better at getting Sheik off-stage. Fox's nair is also a better approach option than Falco has due to Fox's faster dash speed. Fox's ability to mix up his movement with dash dancing and wavedashes as well as maneuvering platforms where applicable is unmatched in this game. Falco has characteristics unique to him that Fox wishes he could have, however in this match-up Falco doesn't have the same ability that Fox does in handling it.
I agree with everything the except the last statement. Falco's unique attributes are more than enough for compensating for what fox does. just because falco doesnt have a amazing dd game, doesnt mean sheik automatically has an answer for his **** laser control and Dair destruction.

i stand by them both being > sheik.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I guess the best Sheik in the world forgot about those things, too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jCZZE7h70U
I guess the best sheik in the world has next to no matchup experience compared to hbox in the same matchup? Just a thought. We've already debated the sheik/puff matchup to death, and I think most people agreed that 60:40 was not a terrible compromise.

@KK... foxes can't waveshine sheik across the stage? I thought that was like, '05 ****. Even if sheik DIs perfectly, fox still gets a free grab afterwards... I thought it was a given that shine = waveshine = grab/upsmash.

If the consensus is that fox>sheik, falco>Sheik guys... just because he doesn't beat her as badly as fox doesn't mean its not still his advantage. His combo game on her is pretty amazing, I would say better than fox's honestly. He doesn't need amazing finishers, he just needs a random shine--> bair to get her off the stage and start easy edgeguards. Her nair doesn't actually eliminate shield pressuring, as shine --> grab is still completely viable. In addition, you can just dair/nair and DI back, to bait a grab or nair OoS and punish the sheik... immediately nairing isn't really safe.

Also, showing overtriforce vs mango isn't entirely legitimate. Overtriforce is far better than most top sheik players at powershielding. In addition, you could have just as easily linked Dr.PP vs overtriforce, which shows something completely different than mango vs over.

I don't understand why people are convinced samus' matchups are so good. Samus as a character isn't all that amazing... she has her stuff against the spacies, but its quite clear they have an advantage, regardless of how big.

Last thing: people need to realize how amazing marth's matchups are, and start using him again.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I guess the best sheik in the world has next to no matchup experience compared to hbox in the same matchup? Just a thought. We've already debated the sheik/puff matchup to death, and I think most people agreed that 60:40 was not a terrible compromise.
It may not be a terrible compromise but it's not very accurate either. Amsah is one of the most experience pros in the world, I don't think match up experience played too big a role in him getting ***** the way he did. And if I remember the debates correctly a lot of people were ignorant on stuff which Puff has over Shiek in the match which really skewed the result

I don't understand why people are convinced samus' matchups are so good. Samus as a character isn't all that amazing... she has her stuff against the spacies, but its quite clear they have an advantage, regardless of how big.
People have made really great arguments as to why the match up is even. And the pro Samus and Spacies players seem to agree with it. I think the fact that Hugs goes even or flat out beats most spacies players is indicative that the match ups are at least even.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Might I ask what the great arguments for samus are? The most common ones I've seen include the fact that she can up-b OoS, up-b OoS, and up-b OoS. I know samus has a lot, but several people seemed to say up-b OoS beats everything spacies can do. Several people said lasers hardly slow samus down at all, or suggested that you just powershield... I mean, it was really ridiculous what most people suggested. I really would like a serious argument for the samus side, and I'm all ears.

As far as hbox amsah... I'm pretty sure hbox knows the matchup in and out. Iirc, the person he trains with is a sheik main, and his style is all about crouching and looking for rest opportunities, rest edgeguarding... etc. His style is like the perfect sheik counter. Even a sheik who knew the matchup wouldn't be able to stand up to hbox's matchup knowledge and style. That said, amsah probably didn't know the matchup as well as a player of his level should (or at least, not against a jiggs nearly as good as hbox). I haven't heard of any particularly good european jiggs players, so of course there might be some I'm unaware of. Either way, the fact that hbox has played so many sheiks, and essentially has an anti sheik style vs amsah's not particularly anti jiggs style and not having played many jiggs on his level... skews it quite a bit, I would say. I don't think that such a situation allows us to really neglect the matchup experience and say it "didn't play a big role".

We also can't forget the fact that hbox is in fact a better player, in addition to the above mentioned things. All that put together... it of course would skew our view of the matchup.

ShadyMilkman

Smash Apprentice
All good points. I'm just saying, if you say "top level play," I don't see how Sheik vs. Jiggs gets any more top-level than Amsah vs. Hbox.

Though your argument is totally legit and full of factual reality. (I might argue that it's hard to say whether or Hbox is, in fact, the better player 100%, but he's certainly equal at the very least.)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
As far as hbox amsah... I'm pretty sure hbox knows the matchup in and out. Iirc, the person he trains with is a sheik main, and his style is all about crouching and looking for rest opportunities, rest edgeguarding... etc. His style is like the perfect sheik counter. Even a sheik who knew the matchup wouldn't be able to stand up to hbox's matchup knowledge and style. That said, amsah probably didn't know the matchup as well as a player of his level should (or at least, not against a jiggs nearly as good as hbox). I haven't heard of any particularly good european jiggs players, so of course there might be some I'm unaware of. Either way, the fact that hbox has played so many sheiks, and essentially has an anti sheik style vs amsah's not particularly anti jiggs style and not having played many jiggs on his level... skews it quite a bit, I would say. I don't think that such a situation allows us to really neglect the matchup experience and say it "didn't play a big role".

We also can't forget the fact that hbox is in fact a better player, in addition to the above mentioned things. All that put together... it of course would skew our view of the matchup.
I remember pre APex ppl were saying Mango was 2222 good and wasnt the best example to use as far as MUs were concered, Hungrybox was that *****. But now he isnt? If Hbox is better than everyone else again then we would probably have to use king or darc(not really all that bad). But I think most ppl had hbox in mind when the rest of jiggz MUs were done and they kept mango an outlier.

If he has an anti sheik style then it would probably be the best example to base the MU on. I mean why would I want to use anti fox style vs sheik.

Its hard to say what Amsah does and doesnt know and I can see why it could be a problem basing jiggz vs sheik on a lopsided playing field.

But if Amsah doesnt know the MU.... then who does? We have to draw the line somewhere and this is literally the best we have. We could take a lesser sheik vs a lesser puff but Id much rather take a cut from the top of the mountain than somewhere in the middle. I just dont want to neglect any techniques or abilities that box or brother amsah may have over other sheiks and puffs. Im ok with saying currently jiggz does "X good" vs top level sheik players in the MU.

Its just gotten to a point where we cant keep saying things like Fox ***** jiggz but NONE of our top foxes know how to play the MU lol. I just think when they learn that **** then we should change the chart.

It just keeps the theory smash saved for those all important MUs like m2 zelda (M2>zelda) and use as much tournament evidence as possible.

just my opinion

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I remember pre APex ppl were saying Mango was 2222 good and wasnt the best example to use as far as MUs were concered, Hungrybox was that *****. But now he isnt? If Hbox is better than everyone else again then we would probably have to use king or darc(not really all that bad). But I think most ppl had hbox in mind when the rest of jiggz MUs were done and they kept mango an outlier.

If he has an anti sheik style then it would probably be the best example to base the MU on. I mean why would I want to use anti fox style vs sheik.

Its hard to say what Amsah does and doesnt know and I can see why it could be a problem basing jiggz vs sheik on a lopsided playing field.

But if Amsah doesnt know the MU.... then who does? We have to draw the line somewhere and this is literally the best we have. We could take a lesser sheik vs a lesser puff but Id much rather take a cut from the top of the mountain than somewhere in the middle. I just dont want to neglect any techniques or abilities that box or brother amsah may have over other sheiks and puffs. Im ok with saying currently jiggz does "X good" vs top level sheik players in the MU.

Its just gotten to a point where we cant keep saying things like Fox ***** jiggz but NONE of our top foxes know how to play the MU lol. I just think when they learn that **** then we should change the chart.

It just keeps the theory smash saved for those all important MUs like m2 zelda (Zelda wins) and use as much tournament evidence as possible.

just my opinion

Fix'd dat fore youz

ChaosNoobSlayer

Smash Cadet
How is G&W Bowser +2 and M2, roy, zelda only +1? Im starting to feel like G&W may be a bit overrated. Can anyone explain these MUs? Even kirby has a +1 on bowser. I just think the other 3 have a larger advantage or G&W's isn't as large.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
@KK... foxes can't waveshine sheik across the stage? I thought that was like, '05 ****. Even if sheik DIs perfectly, fox still gets a free grab afterwards... I thought it was a given that shine = waveshine = grab/upsmash.
There's a big difference between "waveshine sheik literally across the stage into downsmash into grab the edge, ledgehop invincible bair to regrab the edge to force an up b, to stand up to more free damage" and "waveshine -> single grab/upsmash". I don't think the former is reliable because of Smash DI on the shine.

One grab on Sheik will usually lead to one aerial and not a whole lot more. Ditto an upsmash if DIed away.

Samus has an unparalleled defense, pretty good zoning, and a mediocre but passable punishment game, which makes her like a bad version of Jigglypuff. Which is still decent. She certainly does better in the space animal matchups than characters like Falcon and Ganon. Compared to the rest of the mid tier cast, holding your own against both Falco and Fox is pretty good.

Last thing: people need to realize how amazing marth's matchups are, and start using him again.
Amazing by what standards? He's a decent character, but just going even with Fox/Falco while struggling with Jiggs, getting dismembered by Sheik, and randomly having tough matchups with mediocre characters like Falcon and Ganon isn't "amazing". The Marth representation is more or less about where it should be right now.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
There's a big difference between "waveshine sheik literally across the stage into downsmash into grab the edge, ledgehop invincible bair to regrab the edge to force an up b, to stand up to more free damage" and "waveshine -> single grab/upsmash". I don't think the former is reliable because of Smash DI on the shine.

One grab on Sheik will usually lead to one aerial and not a whole lot more. Ditto an upsmash if DIed away.
You can still reach Sheik with Shines if you do good, fast WDs, unless they get like multiple inputs of SDI. I'm also fairly sure some Foxes could do that if they really sat down and tried it and worked it out, and that sort of punishment at low percent with high consistency is a pain to deal with.

I'm not sure how realistic that punishment is, but oh well. It was more of an afterthought. Even with punishes like that I still think Falco is more irritating.

As for single aerial after grab... Fox can 50/50 for a lot of extra damage in a lot of situations even when he combo has technically ended. A lot of times it's not good to DI his aerial away because then you go offstage and die to his invincible ledgehop aerials and overall solid edgeguard game. Sheik's okay with her jump but even she has a lot of trouble vs Fox with the ledge.

Doc King

Smash Lord
How come Mewtwo's matchup with Marth is so bad? I mean, Marth doesn't really have any up kills so mewtwo's floatiness can be more of a good thing than a bad. Marth is floaty and Mewtwo's main finishers are all upward, so Marth could get KO'd pretty easy. Also Marth is a light weight so for Mewtwo lacking power isn't that bad against Marth cause you dont need it as much. Also Mewtwo being so large would have to force Marth to space a lot and it would be hard for Marth to sweetspot his attacks.:confused:

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Mewtwo is light, so Marth really doesn't need to get tippers to kill.
Fair>every move Mewtwo has.
Mewtwo can't combo or techchase Marth.
Etc.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Yeah but I think the matchup is overall one of Mewtwo's better matchups, along with Peach. Plus there about the same weight.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion

Samus has an unparalleled defense, pretty good zoning, and a mediocre but passable punishment game, which makes her like a bad version of Jigglypuff. Which is still decent. She certainly does better in the space animal matchups than characters like Falcon and Ganon. Compared to the rest of the mid tier cast, holding your own against both Falco and Fox is pretty good.

Amazing by what standards? He's a decent character, but just going even with Fox/Falco while struggling with Jiggs, getting dismembered by Sheik, and randomly having tough matchups with mediocre characters like Falcon and Ganon isn't "amazing". The Marth representation is more or less about where it should be right now.
As for sheik: read what KK said. It's possible to follow SDI, if they DI upsmash away and off stage they can get edgeguarded to hell. You can continuously waveshine until you notice SDI, THEN upsmash, which could be anywhere from 1-5 shines on FD. As he said, there's also a lot of 50/50 stuff. Maybe there's a situation where the only way sheik can get out is by nairing, so the fox just DD out the way and continues comboing.

As for what you said about samus... it's vague. Unparalleled defense? What about it is so unparalleled. There are so many specific things about the matchup that a blanket statement like that just glazes over. Just because she does better than others doesn't mean it's even, it just means she gets ***** less. A worse version of jiggs? Well fox already has the advantage vs jiggs, and falco vs jiggs is pretty **** close/debatable. If it's worse than jiggs, I'm pretty sure that guarantees that spacies>samus.

Amazing by what standards? In your analysis, maybe a bit less exaggeration needs to be done. He consistently goes even with debatably two of the best characters in the game (fox and falco).

He has the advantage vs jiggs... struggling with jiggs? He has grab autocombos, more range than her, similarly disjointed aerials... This matchup has been thoroughly discussed and I'm aware jiggs has a lot of things to fight marth with; marth might find a hard time with it, but it's certainly not to his disadvantage.

Dismembered by sheik? It's hardly dismembered. Marth's grab combos are more devestating in terms of how much damage they do than sheik's are. Edgeguarding is about equally stupid for both... The only sheik really has over marth is that her comboing is easier, and more consistent at higher damages. This doesn't change the fact that, as I said, marth's combo game is far more rewarding than sheiks. I have yet to see a valid argument for why sheik "dismembers" marth other than ease of the matchup. Just because its easier for sheik doesn't mean much. Look at fox vs jiggs. Upthrow/uptilt rest is far easier than anything fox has, but that hardly means jiggs dismembers fox.

Tough matchups against ganon and falcon? Marth has gimping and comboing galore on both of these characters. Ganon is too slow to take advantage of marth easily, and his amazing range that helps him in another matchups doesn't mean as much anymore when you're fighting marth because of marth's own range. Marth's edgeguard game is better than ganons, his combo game is better, he can sit there dash dance camping and just waiting for openings, and he matches ganons range.

Matchup against falcon is just marth players *****ing. Marth can CC grab any nair approach, and outrange any other aerial easily. If marth gets a grab at around 30%+, it's free uptilt and u-air comboing for as much damage as any of falconss combos do on marth. He can also fthrow/dthrow tech chase effectively on falcon because of his slow tech roll. His edgeguarding is far superior to falcon's as well. Normally falcon has to rely on DD camping, but marth has just as good of a dash dance, but a ridiculous grab range to go with it. The only thing falcon truly has going for him is a good combo game. Other than that, he loses to marth more or less in every single aspect of the matchup. Once again, the ease of a matchup does not reflect the matchup itself. Just beacuse its easier for falcon to do his combos, doesn't mean that marth's combos aren't just as effective. I mean, you said that marth goes even with falco (which I agree with). You said this despite the fact that marth has WAY easier combos, gimping, AND edgeguarding than falco does. Falco can do all those things just as well, but not necessarily as easily.

That said... Marth can go even with/beat the top three characters (fox, falco, jiggs).
Marth, at worst, has a 60/40 matchup with sheik (I personally believe it's either 55:45 or 50:50).
Marth at worst goes even with falcon, and obviously beats ganon.
Marth beats peach and ICs, and completely annihilates samus.

Honestly, marth's only real disadvantaged matchup is sheik. Even a worst case scenario for him, he still only loses to falcon and sheik, and just barely to both of them; in return, he goes, at worst, even with the top three characters in the game, while everyone else has problems with them. Definitely sounds amazing to me.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
sheik does pretty much dismember marth. its ugly.

and yea, Marth vs falcon/ganon are both tough for marth. Some even say falcon > marth, and the top ganons swear that ganon vs marth at high level is even at worst.

marth kinda loses all his luster in most of his matchups once your opponent doesnt suck

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Marth's grab combos and Sheik's grab combos do the same amount of damage to each other if they're both being gay only Sheik's combos work in a bigger range and setup edgeguards more easily.

What's nice about Marth is that he's good at stealing Sheik's jump and beating her combo break efforts if he's smart but otherwise Sheik's combos are more effective because they'll actually kill him outright. And if Sheik makes a read on one of Math's combo-break efforts, she can legitimately kill him for it immediately, which is dandy.

I guess I could also, in addition to the above, get into how Sheik's body size to range ratio, fast close range movements, strong crouch game, projectile, shield game, and whatever are fantastic against a character like Marth. This is largely because Marth has longer movements and only really has one worthwhile range to be in, and if he's ever not in that range he's awful. But I don't feel like going through all that again. Maybe I'll feel like explaining it later, but I've done it in this thread like 50 times already so I really, really don't feel like rewriting it or dredging it up.

Doc King

Smash Lord
So Sheik is basically one of those characters that can pretty much get an easy advantage to the Heavy, fastfalling, big ppl?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
NTSC Sheik is good vs everyone but like Fox, Falco, Puff, ICs.

She's not even really bad against Fox, Falco. They're just better against her than vice versa. All her stuff vs them works if you don't mess up. And if you don't fail Sheik has a better punish on them than vice versa (from knockdowns AND grabs). She also has some nice attack range advantage stuff on Fox and a really annoying aerial game vs Falco if she can get positioned. Also, gimps. They do well because they're just overall better than her and slightly better in the matchup because they camp better, approach better, and have Shines.

ICs I don't know much, but it's really annoying how they shut down her grab game. You have to camp them and run off Fair a lot. I talked about it with some ICs and they said they figured it was at least even. Mostly because the one time that Sheik will get grabbed she'll like die for it. But she's really gay so getting the grab with all the camping and aerial use and whatever can be a pain. Hammers go through her hands and feet if they call her for something and then they can get a big combo, which is also kind of cool.

Puff she sucks against. Puff ***** her.

Doc King

Smash Lord
Not exactly, light characters such as Pichu and Puff would probably have a hard time, since they need to be at a bigger amount of damage to be KO'd. I'm also talking about spacies, falcon, and characters like that.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Not exactly, light characters such as Pichu and Puff would probably have a hard time, since they need to be at a bigger amount of damage to be KO'd. I'm also talking about spacies, falcon, and characters like that.
what?

10wuts

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Sheik is bad vs ICs and Puff because they knock out the best stuff she has but all of their stuff still pretty much works.

Sheik is less bad vs space animals because their stuff is better than her stuff but her stuff still works completely fine. But they are still better against her than vice versa on the account of having better stuff.

The end.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
About the Shine DI thing, I don't think that repeated waveshining is practical considering ASDI + smash DI inputs, together with the possibility of mixing up what length you need to wavedash with CCing the shine as well.

I'm not positive about this though. Hopefully someone with the technical knowledge can confirm.

As for what you said about samus... it's vague. Unparalleled defense? What about it is so unparalleled. There are so many specific things about the matchup that a blanket statement like that just glazes over. Just because she does better than others doesn't mean it's even, it just means she gets ***** less. A worse version of jiggs? Well fox already has the advantage vs jiggs, and falco vs jiggs is pretty **** close/debatable. If it's worse than jiggs, I'm pretty sure that guarantees that spacies>samus.
Well, those blanket statements come from me watching a lot of Hugs videos against high/top level players, as well as Hugs' own words on the subject. If you want me to break it down, these are the defensive attributes that I had in mind:

- up B oos to prevent conventional forms of shield pressure. yes, I know it can be baited if overused, but that doesn't nullify its effectiveness in relieving pressure if used intelligently.
- fox, falco, and falcon, the characters which you need to shield vs. the most, can't combo her into a finisher out of grab
- extremely good crouch cancel game
- gets out of Fox's drill
- rarely gets edgeguarded
- good horizontal survivability
- difficult to combo vertically or force techs due to floatiness

As for the Jigglypuff thing, maybe I shouldn't have said that. I don't mean she's literally a bad version of Jigglypuff. She's not necessarily worse vs the space animals compared to Jigglypuff. One of the main things which gives Fox an advantage over Jigglypuff (uthrow uair) doesn't apply to Samus.

I don't think that Samus ***** spacies or anything, but I think there's a very good case to be made that she goes evenish with them. Which is a big deal. Your main arguments seem to be "Samus isn't that good of a character" and "spacies clearly have an advantage vs samus", so I don't see how you are being any less vague.

Amazing by what standards? In your analysis, maybe a bit less exaggeration needs to be done. He consistently goes even with debatably two of the best characters in the game (fox and falco).
I'm not exaggerating anything, really. I acknowledged that Marth goes even with spacies. The thing is, spacies themselves go even with spacies and have overall better matchups, so Marth's matchups aren't "amazing" enough to deserve a whole lot more representation than he has now.

My point about it is that Marth's matchups are good, but not good enough so that people should be like "man, Marth is such a good character, I should pick him so I have good matchups!" instead of just choosing to play a space animal instead.

a bunch of stuff where you claim that Marth's matchups are better than they are
There's too much stuff to address all of it, but here are my general thoughts:

- He goes even with spacies. No argument there.
- You say "the jiggs marth matchup has been discussed to death" without mentioning that a conclusion hasn't really been reached on it. It's not clearly in Marth's favor, like you make it seem.
- You claim that Sheik/Marth is close to even and I'm not really sure how to best argue against that when the tournament results are overwhelmingly in Sheik's favor, and a lot of high level Marth and Sheik mains think that it's a pretty bad matchup for Marth. If you really want to argue this I'll do it in another post.
- Falcon and Ganon go even at least with Marth. I was saying they're "tough matchups" for Marth because the top tier characters are favored in those matchups. That choice of words was a bit inaccurate I guess.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Someone with more technical knowledge would be nice, but it's certainly possible. I've personally been able to, on pure reaction, switch directions of the waveshine when they CC. So one time they SDI and go max distance, the next they go so short they end up behind me, so I just start reverse waveshining.

The main point on samus vs spacies is that she is forced to play an aggressive role. Yes, her defense game is good; I'm unsure as to why that's such a big deal when she is forced on the offensive. I hope it's not vague for you when I say: camping. Fox and falco can both force samus to approach, nullifying many aspects of her game which boil down to playing defensive.

I agree, she has good horizontal survivability. Unfortunately for samus, this isn't so useful when fox has an upsmash and a u-air, and falco has a downtilt and a dair. I agree, she's hard to combo vertically: incidentally, falco's dair also forces samus to tech. I agree, she's not easy to edgeguard: luckily, fox can shine her out of grapples, and use invincibility on the ledge to hit her out of up-b; luckily, falco has lasers to stop her recovery horizontally, and a dair to hit her out of up-b and grapple.

For sheik/marth, I ask you to point me towards any high level marth main. No offense to all the marth's out there, but I can't even name a marth besides Ken/M2K who has been able to compete at a top level. Nowadays the best we have are HBK/IB/Diakonos? I don't think they're quite on the level of amsah, m2k, vanz, and tope. The last legitimate matchup between marth and sheik at a top level was back in KDJ vs M2K days.

KK pointed out most of the things that give sheik an advantage, but then I ask: why would you ever be out of marth's good range? Sheik's projectile game isn't good enough to force marth's hand the same way fox's lasers do. With that in mind, I'm confused as to why a marth would ever leave the range that gives him the advantage. In addition, while marth's combos don't kill outright, you've said it yourself. It's not about huge combos that kill, its about getting sheik off the stage and building up damage through edgeguarding, until sheik eventually can't recover.

As for falcon and ganon? I would really like someone to address something of that matchup I didn't already mention. I think I explained quite well why marth does fine, but the only two posts addressing this have literally said "Falcon and ganon go at least even with marth" with absolutely no explanation.

I might add at the end that, even if jiggs vs marth is only debatable on either side, marth is the only character with matchups comparable to the top 3 characters.

Sheik has good matchups, and does fine against fox/falco, but that doesn't change the fact that she still loses to fox, falco, puff, AND ICs. Two of those characters are the most played at high level, and one of them dominates tournaments. Four matchups that are not even debatably disadvantageous isn't look so hot. Especially when 2 of the characters are the most played, and one of them dominates national/international tournaments. Honestly, sheik vs marth is not significantly worse than puff vs sheik.

Falcon's matchups are godawful, getting beaten by fox, falco, puff, and sheik. Fox, falco, and sheik make up the most played characters in today's metagame, and puff dominates tournaments. He also loses to these characters more than just barely, with fox and sheik providing a much harder matchup for him than sheik is for marth.

Peach loses to fox, sheik, jiggs, falcon, and marth; fox (and falcon?) provide a matchup for her that's at least as hard as sheik vs marth. Jiggs also seems to provide a ridiculously difficult matchup for her. Once again, she loses to two of the most played characters, as well as a character that dominates tournaments. In addition, she loses to marth and falcon.

Marth is the only character on the viable side of the tier that consistently holds his own/beats the most played characters (fox and falco). He is also the only character other than fox (and maybe falco?) who debatably goes even with jiggs. In addition, each of the other high tiered characters have at least one matchup for them that is as difficult as sheik is for marth, as WELL as debatably more overall disadvantaged matchups in terms of numbers.

Sheik loses to 4 characters.
Falcon loses to 4 characters.
Peach loses to 5 characters.
Marth loses to 2 characters, at worst 3. None of the characters he loses to are played as often as fox or falco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom