• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Tier Placement Discussion

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
i havent had many recorded matches lately so thats why i referenced those, all i am saying is that clearly i know what i am doing when i play marth end of story,

@NEO

I rarely sandbag, people kept talking to me when i was playing so i wasnt paying attention in that mario match i was just doing stuff lmao, anyways the next match i three stocked him but i guess that doesnt matter lol, i fail at marth, my marth is obviously horrible now since i havent recorded any vids of me fighting and posted them on youtube, Junk is right, He should come fight afro or seibrik if he beats them i might think he's good

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Is it me or are Marth players just more cocky than others in general?

I can't be the only one who sees this. Marth and Metaknight mains.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
Snake with a tiara would take away everything that he is. Thats like giving D3 a sword. =/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
D3 has swords...

What do you think those FEET are made of?

Sharp, pointy, long ranged, and poke and gimp like dtilts and bairs afraid of nothing.

Bones, swords, created over a thousand, etc etc

Oh and HR, I wasn't saying you were bad or anything similar, but constantly referencing yourself with older vids doesn't exactly prove many points imo. Considering the metagamzzzzz and stuff are always advancing and yada vada.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I agree D3's feet are some of the most crafty weapons in the game, on and off stage. And don't you knowm, we're not cocky we're confident.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Is it me or are Marth players just more cocky than others in general?

I can't be the only one who sees this. Marth and Metaknight mains.
LOL it's so true! I've kinda noticed that as well. metaknight mains are cocky cause who the hell beats them often? not many and if they do it's a "fluke" cause next battle MK users "fluke" them right back.

Fenomenoide

Smash Rookie
Hi, im new to SSBB and i cant see why Marth deserves a 6th place on the tier list, he was my main on Melee, but now im playing Brawl and everything about him just sucks, in fact, most of the top characters on Melee are pretty bad now, for example Sheik and Fox.

Marth:
-bad recovery
-bad range compared with his melee version
-no projectile
-attacks with the tip of the sword are harder to get

I think a lot of people picks Marth because he was too popular on Melee (like myself), with a lot of Marth players, he develops an advanced game, style and techinques, but in my opinion, some characters on lower tiers have more potential than Marth, for example Pit, Wolf, Ice Climbers or maybe Kirby.

there are 2 options
1) im right and he will drop some places on the tier list in the future when people realize hes not that good now.

2)im an idiot and im ignoring something about Marth and hes still a top character.

¿What makes Marth the 6th best character in the game?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Hi, im new to SSBB and i cant see why Marth deserves a 6th place on the tier list, he was my main on Melee, but now im playing Brawl and everything about him just sucks, in fact, most of the top characters on Melee are pretty bad now, for example Sheik and Fox.

Marth:
-bad recovery
-no projectile

I think a lot of people picks Marth because he was too popular on Melee (like myself), with a lot of Marth players, he develops an advanced game, style and techinques, but in my opinion, some characters on lower tiers have more potential than Marth, for example Pit, Wolf, Ice Climbers or maybe Kirby.

there are 2 options
1) im right and he will drop some places on the tier list in the future when people realize hes not that good now.

2)im an idiot and im ignoring something about Marth and hes still a top character.

The part in red explains the part in orange.

P.S. Was gonna go with option #2 but you are clearly missing more than just one thing about marth.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

Marth:
-bad recovery
-no projectile

there are 2 options

Completely different engine and you should stop comparing him to his Melee counterpart.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

Marth:
-bad recovery
-no projectile

there are 2 options

A: don't compare him with Melee marth.
B: It's because of his matchups (he has advantage against high characters like falco and G&W, on top of the lower), hes still fast, does good insane damage for punishment, his dancing blade is beautiful and shines in the current move decay environment, he might not have as good of range in Melee, but he has vastly superior range compared with most of the characters, and the only real weakness is lack of safe kill moves (though this can be easily taken care of). On top of that, his tourney placing is pretty good. Oh yeah, and his grab game may not be as good as Melee's, but it's still pretty useful against certain characters.
C: The word in red explains only part of what the tier list is made up of. If it were only potential, PT, Pit, and Link to a certain extent would win, but tourney results and the ratio of good matchups vs. bad and how extreme they are tells us who goes where on the list.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Truth of the matter is, is that Marth is going to have to work hard, very hard, to even sustain his tier placement, let alone rise further.

People are right when they say there are other characters with huge potential and ability to move above Marth. Yet, I still believe Marth could go above G&W.

However, Marth is high tier, I doubt he'll drop below that; ever.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes Marth will have to work very hard to sustain his place in a man made tier list which incidentally will not nor has it ever had any effect on his capabilities as a character.

Holy **** guys.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Marth will hang around the Nimbers 6,7,8,and 9.

I highly doubt he will go below that.

Marth to brawl is like captain falcon to melee.

Always a contender. Never has the spotlight.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Well, personally, I think some people in this thread are ripping him apart for no reason. I know Marth has disadvantages, (As does every other character, which should be taken into consideration) but that doesn't mean he should be lower on the tier list.

Marth has ridiculous punishing moves, and he can rack up damage pretty well. His recovery isn't really as bad as everyone says it is. You can easily stall with a Side B and wait for invincibility frames to run out if your opponent is on the ledge. And really, he's not that easy to kill. With proper DI, I usually live up to 150% or possibly more.

I really think that he has advantages over most of the cast except for D3 and snake/MK. I've even seen Marth players beat MK players. I just don't believe he deserves all the heat when he's easily one of the best and most versatile characters in the game.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Marth is there to stay, he will stay in the sacred 7 most likely, and at worst, he'll get in the 8-9. Honestly though, its the metagame that will change his performance most as a character, not a #. He's going t stay in high at worst.

marthmaster59

Smash Journeyman
This isn't about marth as much as the tier lists in general:

Noobish Question Alert:Why does Melee's tier list go up to 9.9 when brawl's tier list goes up to 15. Brawl lost several melee strategies, so why would the characters rank higher in brawl? maybe i'm just not getting it.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
This isn't about marth as much as the tier lists in general:

Noobish Question Alert:Why does Melee's tier list go up to 9.9 when brawl's tier list goes up to 15. Brawl lost several melee strategies, so why would the characters rank higher in brawl? maybe i'm just not getting it.
More characters?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
hmm. marth is really annoying to fight against.

dont get mad at hrnut cause he doesnt have any new vids to show off his marth. no one records in FL. i gotta start recording more or something. Ive played alot of marths down here, and he has the best one.

not as good as neo, but the gap is closer than people think. Speaking of which, HAAAAAI NEO :laugh: . im coming to pay you a visit at CoT4. your gay asian princess is going down against Bubbles this time

junk, are you going to Winter Gamefest this weekend in san diego? I want to play your Marth to see where it is

∫unk

Smash Master
in all seriousness i'd rather not play your diddy in friendlies no matter how good or bad it is

edit: i mean on some level idrc but diddy isn't that fun to play against lol i could always use the practice i guess

the one time i played nanerz in tourney i got wrecked

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
dont want to play it in friendlies eh?

so...you want to MM my diddy or GW? they technically arent friendlies :laugh:

Top Bottom