• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Metagame Thread

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Wasn't there the thing that you had to cancel the jump startup, which takes 1 frame to startup and therefore you always get that one extra frame?

∫unk

Smash Master
imo it's easier to buffer a shield drop utilt than a usmash.

Maybe it's just me though.
That's not as fast as a u-smash oos, but it has more range in the air.

The only time u-tilt as punishment is the best thing is when you want to kill them vertically and you want to catch them in the air.

Otherwise d-smash u-smash grab are better vertically, and dancing blade f-smash grab are better horizontally.

Using u-tilt vs a grounded opponent is usually relying on luck, but I do that all the time when I play Marth.

Player-3

Smash Hero
idk, if someone spotdodges next to you utilt has a funky hitbox on marths body it sends them sideways and lasts a while, i use it to punish them since it's easy

∫unk

Smash Master
yeah but d-smash does the same sideways hitbox but a better angle/stronger

and if you know they're going to spot dodge charge d-smash -> u-tilt up close

if you don't want to charge because of the risk and want to wait for it, then reaction d-smash is easier too (its just c-stick down)

if you have no idea what they're going to do then that's where the luck comes in

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
if you don't want to charge because of the risk and want to wait for it, then reaction d-smash is easier too (its just c-stick down)

if you have no idea what they're going to do then that's where the luck comes in
I woudln't rely on luck for d-smash... too laggy

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
So I've been thinking...

What do you do if MK just sits there?

And think about that for a second - what if they sit there, and do nothing but react, because MK has the means to do so.

Can Marth EVER win?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
he can only do that if he is winning since you could in theory just not approuch with a lead
Obviously. The question is asking how to approach MK in a situation where your forced to approach. I'm pretty sure what it comes down to in that situation is how well you can bait him into making mistakes so you can take the lead back.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
i always thought that you approached with your shield and dtilts
yeah, but his grab and ftilt can beat those.

What REALLY irks me about MK is that he has so many options in so many situations that sometimes you have to guess which of say, 3 options he's going to use at AMY GIVEN TIME. No matter how intelligent you play, if they pick a random option that is of course, still good because it's MK, it can throw you off and possibly lead to death.

I know that sometimes in this game you have to guess but MK to me is nothing BUT one big guessing game.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I don't EVER guess what Meta is going to do, unless he's like... on the ledge or im edge guarding... I honestly think most of MK's options can be beaten with just reaction

Like if he's waiting there spaced fair should beat out his stuff, cept nado and up-b (if they catch u with bad spacing or w/e)

Makaveli tha Don

Smash Apprentice
MK has too many options

i would say bait him out, but he can still get you...

Full hop? but make sure the peak of the arc is far away from MK and you land closer to him. Have an F-air to cover you?

Im just throwin stuff out

∫unk

Smash Master
Wait Shaya... so we're allowed to be "social" in here, as long as it talks about the metagame?

If so, good luck to all the Marth's going to MLG. NEO and Mike finally go to the same tournament, will they play each other?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
marth ditto metagame?

well it will be interesting to see vids later of that however its unlikely that they will play in actual brakect iirc

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
No livestream :mad:.

Just hoping that every marth match gets recorded, but I think that's unlikely.

I was also wondering how well you guys think that :marth: can place. Not very confident here.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wait Shaya... so we're allowed to be "social" in here, as long as it talks about the metagame?

If so, good luck to all the Marth's going to MLG. NEO and Mike finally go to the same tournament, will they play each other?
Id prefer the word productive over social :bee:
But yes general talk about tournaments should be fine, no?
I was hoping this thread would be people talking about their tournament results / match ups experienced / what troubles they are having / etc in general. If there isnt any basis for that to grow (what you would call social) then nothings going to happen.

As long as it isnt SPAM and it relates completely and utterly to Marth as a Brawl tournament character, it -should- be perfectly fine.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
So i was wondering if f throw to spike on snake is legit ?

Mr-R

Smash Champion
how is snake gonna spotdodge when he's offstage ?
u guys sure its not guarenteed ?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
If someone says it's not guaranteed you can consider your question answered (unless Shaya says otherwise).

But really, if fthrow > fair isn't guaranteed then I figure fthrow > dair isn't guaranteed either.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
If someone says it's not guaranteed you can consider your question answered (unless Shaya says otherwise).

But really, if fthrow > fair isn't guaranteed then I figure fthrow > dair isn't guaranteed either.
I know but i've heard different answers from different people, i just want someone thats 100 % sure

∫unk

Smash Master
im pretty sure its guaranteed

regardless, if theyre airdodging off stage at 0 from a marth f-throw, now they're below the stage suffering air dodge lag and it's a great position for you

they'll either try to double jump on stage (with an airdodge), double jump up b away from you, or double jump try to grab the ledge.

i think after the d-air if it misses and you see the airdodge, if you just grab the ledge you can hit them after on reaction.

this is all theorycrafted/based on experience but it's easy enough to test

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
whats teh frame advantedge on F throw at 0 %

if we know that we cna probably say wether or not its true

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
+11 frame advantage.

You have to dash to catch up the space from the fthrow for dair (rising dair is 11 frames). Snake can jump to avoid the spike, but hes not exactly in a good position when fthrow to dtilt at the ledge or fair is like LOL bye stock.
Probably told people this a gazillion times though.

Reizilla

what can marth do to snake out of a grab at 0%? not just on the ledge.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well you said if not at the ledge, so obviously you would pick the option that would get him to the ledge, no?

Yeah he can be faired, dbed, fsmashed, dtilted (I was pretty sure).
Nair? maybe.

Reizilla

i can never connect the second hit of nair, but then again, i suck. haha. same with fsmash. does it have to be stutter stepped, or am i just screwing it up?

∫unk

Smash Master
f-throw db is **** vs anyone with a bad recovery

marth takes 4 huge steps that's one of the best parts of db

you can grab in the middle of smashville and "carry" them to the edge of the stage

i was actually going to write a thread on it

Top Bottom