• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Metagame Thread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Honestly, with Marth, you're camping with shield pressure, eventually, shields go down, and that leads to getting shield poked, and damage, especially when marth has so many safe ways to attack shield that come out faster then reaction time and can shieldpoke reasonably with for example, nair from above, or dtilt from below, shield pressure eventually forces them to act once they're in the "zone".
but that seems to be more like passive-aggressive pressure.
I think we're seriously going to have to figure out the distinction between pressure and camping if we want to have any kind of meaningful discussion.

While, like in camping, you may not be taking the initial action in pressure, it is still a decidedly aggressive stance, which I feel that most forms of "camping" are very much not so.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
When marth camps it isn't to damage his oppenent but simply limit their options. Camping more or less causes the same thing. Snakes grenades with their slow speed probably won't hit unless you walk into them

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Sorry to go off topic but nobody but Shaya is on right now and he's not responding. I have to ask this though. What is going on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcPqHbrTpk4#t=0m55s

Marth does a get up roll toward the edge and like instantly grabs it. Am I seeing things or what? From what I can tell, it happened while he was still sitting on his butt and mk moved really close to him. Did he just get pushed off(can you get pushed while sitting on your butt?) or is there some super cool way to grab the edge from the ground that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
My impression was that he simply got pushed off. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. The only inputs that actually do anything on the ground are either direction, up, or attack as far as I know...

I think we're seriously going to have to figure out the distinction between pressure and camping if we want to have any kind of meaningful discussion.

While, like in camping, you may not be taking the initial action in pressure, it is still a decidedly aggressive stance, which I feel that most forms of "camping" are very much not so.
I'm pretty sure it was EL that drilled into our heads that this passive aggressive style of play was camping. That's if my memory serves me right...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
The ledge grab AT looks like its probably most useful on halberd and delfino since you can land onstage on the off chance you opponent gets the edgehog on you (not very likey but anything is possible). Yoshi's too probably since the whole "if I make a mistake then I'm under the stage" thing is eliminated. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
So far if the opponent has grabbed the ledge while I try the quick regrab I end up on the stage regardless, it's just never fun because of the massive landing lag..

Unless we're talking japes, then you're just screwed regardless. **** Water Guardian.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Something a lot of people forget:

If MK is too close to the ledge for a GR --> Dair, or UpB, you can run off and do a Fair. This seems to tip often, and if done right is unavoidable.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

I generally don't consider shield pressure offensive in any of it's forms, my understanding has always been that aggression requires you to move into your opponent's melee zone of control, hence why I differentiate between moving close enough to poke and approaching.

That said, I believe we can agree that both methods are reletively safe ways of pressuring the opponent into doing what you want, approaching.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
What's the best way to restore momentum in a match where you're playing against a campy snake? I find that if I get on the ledge I get hit by 3-4 grenades trying to get back on and then get F-tilted and U-tilted before I can get into a better position on the stage.
Snake is hard to "camp", and if you're far away from him he can just set up grenades and mines around the stage. Snake is my most momentum-based matchup, and when I lose it I get destroyed.

I think that our idea of sword camping with marth is either doing the ZMT and not really hitting them, or pressuring their shield and hitting them. Marth can plank with the instant ledge grab, but he doesn't have a way to deal with people when theyre well outside of sword range.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So ya, MLG instated a bunch of controversial rules, some of which involve some stage picks.

I'm going to assume DDDs are going to get more powerful (Delphino as a neutral?), but Falco/ICs/Diddys will be thurting a bit (except for The fact that Dave's Stupid Rule isn't in effect).

Oh yeah, and Marth can't "infinite" Ness/Lucas, even though they technically aren't infinites, and nearly everyone has something silly against them :\.

@ Doomblaze: juggle him hard. Unfortunately being on the ledge against snake means you're going to take a beating esp. if you're predictable and don't know your options, I'd have to say that sometimes one of marth's underrated options on the ledge imo is his plain "getup" option, since you don't suffer shieldstun from an attack and you have some pretty fast options (like shield, DS, or DB) available to you. That and most of the time Snake is going to expect ledgehop stuff and space for that.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm gonna point out that since this is MLG, they're a corporation, doing marth's long chaingrab on ness is presumably still legal due to threat of legal issues.

Keep in mind that it's not just additions to the neutral list, it's almost twice the size, I don't think you'll be seeing a DDD get deflino first round anytime soon.

Starters, the expanded list gives you a much better chance at getting an evenish MU first round cause characters that did better on the old neutral list now have to contend with the need to strike the likes of defino.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about a number of other things, for example, a rule that isn't there, team attack.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
but I would think team attack wouldn't affect marth as much as, say Falco or Diddy (lol broken camp storms) or MK, since Marth is pretty rare doubles-wise.

Green greens sounds evil. At least they didn't do Corneria as well.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
but I would think team attack wouldn't affect marth as much as, say Falco or Diddy (lol broken camp storms) or MK, since Marth is pretty rare doubles-wise.

Green greens sounds evil. At least they didn't do Corneria as well.
Green greens is not evil, but there seems to be only like 5 people outside of washington who know how to play on it. It's all a matter of stage knowledge.

But it helps characters with good KO power, camping on the sides is dangerous, but rewarding, and the bombs aren't random at all, and with actual DI, don't KO till like 140. They also have 1 frame of a hitbox, and they explode whenever your hurtbox or hitbox impacts (even if invincible).

Green Greens is fine.

Also, team attack off is more a thing to help marth then hurt him.

∫unk

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGe0Xv52_yk

I somewhat believe Marth can camp through the instant ledge grab AT and on certain stages.
I disagree.

This Falco believes that him approaching at all is going to be destroyed by Marth, and doesn't try for a majority of the time, and when he finally does he does it in predictable fashion.

1) He never shoots grounded lasers, which more than likely would have ruined your whole powershield lasers thing.
2) There's no laser covering his approach
3) He tries to d-air you I think on every approach attempt he made. You just shielded and punished every time. Even if he jumps down there's at least 2 mixups he could consider doing, where you couldn't just sit there in your shield and punish him.

At 2:42, he laser up smashes your shield twice, which you twice fail to punish. Disregarding how the situation should actually play out, he could have just done it one more time and your shield would have been too small to stop it.

I bring this up, because based off this key moment, you get damage on him and continue to win by percent lead the rest of the match.

---

I think no two of the same character is an interesting rule on teams.

I'm most interested to see how well the Marth's do where they lose to double MK. Like MikeHAZE + Havok vs DSF + Tyrant.

I'm not saying they lose because it's double MK, but if they win maybe it is? I don't know that's why I'm interested to see the results.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
But wouldn't you say other chars benefit muuuuuuuch more from no team attack than Marth?

Also on Green greens:

TL dsmash insta-kill

Olimar ****

DDD wall infinite (I don't care that Pr4x1s says you can destroy those blocks, it only takes one grab to kill the stock)

iirc G&W has a wall infinite too.

and these silly glitches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH9k-q-9uJU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq9c7baBplU&feature=related
Depends on the situation, but I can say that I disagree, but I it's better then the reverse for him.

Honestly, a lot of characters have exploits here, I've seen them all, but the only one I'm really concerned about is G&W's planking with blocks in the proper positions.

As for glitches, they're a stage knowledge thing.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think Texas won't go emo about Razer taking their money at MLG events for awhile lol :p

the no double characters is a good sign towards progression though

clowsui

Smash Legend
that's not a leak, aZ said in a post somewhere (the one where he talked about no-springs) that they would change it

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
tbh I really don't see what he's doing wrong, to make others question him for being in the BBR. He's just cautious.

I'm not sure if this supposed to be ask in the QA thread or not, but I guess I'll post it here.

I'm really wanting to use Marth's jab a bit more but haven't found out where and when to apply it except for against Peach, Falco, and Metaknight.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I have no idea if this is common knowledge however I found out in training you can GR up smash MK by buffered dash into fox trot upsmash. it wasn't in havoks guide and I didn't see Mike haze using it on M2K (upsmash obviously does more damage then fair so i would assume he would just use that)

if this isn't new then nm

If it is WOOOT

Hopfully i will be able to defenitivly proove my GR dash foxtrot stutter step F smash tipper on MK by the end of today

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No I'm just honestly curious... Not to offend, I haven't heard of you and then I saw you had a purple name lol
Oh... I'm hurt, you've met me and seen me in person a couple of times actually. I last saw you at Poly-Brawl, say you with Matt (the other Matt, aka PD) and I watched a couple of your matches. You seemed to know who I was.

Got there too late to be in the brackets because of work though...

Edit:

Obviously I'm not cool enough to be notable *cries*

j/k, but I'm not really all that good at the game, so I guess I didn't make much of an impression. I think I'm generally supposed to be there as a thinker and theorist, also to calm people down and suggest rational courses of action as opposed to fixating on the existence of a problem, cause they seem to think I'm good at that.
I don't know what they were thinking.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Not using a wall and shaya its buffered dash fox trot U smash not dash thats the key. And it will hit anywhwere

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'd like to see her confirm it with frame by frame, if it's possible it would be cool.

I'm assuming you're a girl because of your avie, correct me if I'm wrong.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
A fox trot and dash are pretty much ONE IN THE SAME.
PLEASE, before you come in here saying something exists, make sure you have someone testing this with you who is trying the obvious options:

jumping
air dodging
uaring

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I think Shaya is a guy and i Know for a fact I am (yep just checked)

shaya a fox trott is a dash yes however it does accelerate you by a small margin.

I might be able to get somone by this weekend to test but if somone else wants to feel free.

WHAT I CAN SAY is that when i hIt MK he is higher iin the air than when i Dair him out of GR

Top Bottom